Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Loathing or Love? by Miss Radcliffe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This chapter took longer than I thought it would to edit and submit. I'm genuinely sorry for the delay, schoolwork and extracurricular activities have taken up most of my time lately. Yes, I've changed the Yule Ball to the Holiday Dance and edited previous chapters to make this clear. I'm trying to differntiate from the traditional Yule Ball of the Triwizard Tournament. This chapter is essentially the intro to the dance and includes some new characters and surprises.

Enjoy!
Miss Radcliffe~
Chapter 14: The Holiday Dance Part I

Alyssa Vineyard, sixth year Gryffindor, strutted into the Gryffindor common room the night before the Holiday Dance. In truth, she wasn’t supposed to be in sixth year. She had moved to England when her mother remarried and they moved into her stepfather’s home. Even though she had studied for one year at Beauxbatons, she was forced to start as a first year again at Hogwarts.

Her jet-black hair shimmered in the firelight and flapped against the thin strip of skin showing between her black bell-bottoms and spaghetti strap shirt. Her school robes were stuffed in her bag. In her opinion, the school robes were absolutely ridiculous. Not only were they extremely (unfashionable or out of date?), but they hid her most prominent features. It was hard enough to get noticed by guys without wearing bulky school robes. Not that she’d overcome that obstacle several times.

She joined a few sixth years at a table, far away from the warmth of the blazing fire, drawing stares from boys of all ages. Alyssa hated sharing a dormitory with these younger girls. She had no one to talk to, no girls that is. The other sixth years were all studying, but Alyssa didn’t glance at the list of homework assignments in her bag. Her eyes were on the group of Gryffindors near the fire and she was smiling maniacally. Everyone that knew Alyssa Vineyard well enough, knew that when this smile played dangerously across her face, she was planning, and her plans always included an unfortunate boy.

The other students at Alyssa’s table had recognized the peril on her bright red lips and the glint in her steel grey eyes. They jumped as Alyssa stood suddenly. They watched as she walked as innocently as she could towards the Gryffindor fire, where a certain group of seventh years were laughing at a joke made by the one in glasses.

“Ha, ha, ha,” mocked Alyssa as she sat down on the arm of the couch, right above the boy in question. He looked up at her curiously, then shrugged at his friends.

“My name’s Alyssa,” she said while sliding in to the minuscule space between the boy and the arm of the couch, forcing him to slide over a few inches.

The other boys stared in sheer lust as she leaned forward to the boy shifting uncomfortably next to her. He started to open his mouth but Alyssa put a finger to his lips.

“I know who you are,” she replied. “What are you doing tomorrow night,” she asked.

“Uh-going to the Holiday Dance, like everyone else,” he answered uncertainly.

“Really? Very interesting. I happen to be going too,” she said as she ran her finger down his arm. She gasped.

“I have an idea,” she smiled. “Would you like to go with me?” The boy, taken by surprise, let his glasses slide down the bridge of his nose and he hastily pushed them back up.

“I’m sorry,” he said while brushing off the sleeve of his shirt. “But I already have a date.” Alyssa frowned.

“With who?” Alyssa questioned.

“Lily. Lily Evans,” the boy grinned.

“Really? How in Merlin’s name did you manage that?” she said.

“Don’t know really,” the boy answered. “We’ve been working together a lot and she-,”

“Yeah, whatever,” Alyssa retorted. She scrutinized the male onlookers. “I wouldn’t expect you to come single to the dance tomorrow, Mr. Black,” she smirked. “I hear you’re in a serious relationship after all these years. Too bad we never got as far as serious.” Alyssa continued surveying the group. Her cold eyes landed on a pale face not paying much attention to the situation in front of him.

“You,” she smiled that wicked smile. “Remus, who are you going to the dance with?”

Remus’ head snapped in the direction of Alyssa.

“No one,” he replied. Alyssa clapped her hands together excitedly.

“Pick me up at 8:20,” she commanded. She threw her left leg over the boy still sitting next to her and sat on his lap. She pressed her body so that their faces we’re mere inches apart, and then swung her right leg over to meet her left.

“See you around,” she whispered as she walked into the shadows. “James.”



Brighton Borrail swaggered into the Great Hall on the day of the Holiday Dance. Most of the student population was already halfway through their breakfast. Brighton’s eyes scanned the hall and eyes darkened with envy as he spotted James Potter chatting animatedly Lily Evans. Although he hated all Gryffindors, he had been admiring her from a distance for the past few months. He was amused by her mannerisms with Potter and rather liked her obedient nature. He determined to make her his. He had no reason to doubt himself. He was, after all, one of the wealthiest teenagers attending Hogwarts. His credits included Prefect, 12 OWLS, and most notably, boyfriend of too many girls to count.

THUNK!

Heads turned in a giant wave to the Gryffindor Table. A red-faced Joanne Connelly was on the floor, eyes wide with surprise.

“I’m okay,” she sighed.

“Need a hand?” said someone standing above her. She took the hand extended to her and was pulled to her feet. Directly in front of her stood a tall boy with wavy locks of golden hair and dark brown eyes. His handsome face smiled, amused at the girl before him. He did not let go of her hand when she stood. Instead, he moved it up and down into what the mesmerized Joanne slowly recognized as a handshake.

“The names Brighton,” he said. “Brighton Borrail. But my friends call me Brigh.” Joanne almost melted into a puddle on the floor right there and then. His voice purred and softened gently as he said the word -his nickname- with just a tinge of a French accent. Joanne dared not say this word aloud for fear of ruining the beauty that seemed to illuminate the name. He gingerly sat down in Joanne’s vacant place, leaving just enough room for her to squeeze in beside her. Unfortunately, someone said his nickname, hence snapping Joanne out of her trance.

“So Brigh,” James said, eyes looking him up and down and landing on the green and silver tie nestled in his robes. “Where’s Snivellus? I thought you two were inseparable?” Brigh bent his head back and laughed jubilantly.

“You mean Snape?” he continued to chuckle. “That was years ago. Trust me, we’ve gone our separate ways.” Brigh chanced a glance in Lily’s direction. She was talking to Joanne beside him. Lily caught his eye and Joanne began to giggle.

And then, the scheme played out in his mind and a mischievous glint crept into his dark eyes.

“Joanne,” Brigh addressed her. Joanne turned around and flushed when she saw that the speaker was Brigh. He ignored her embarrassment and went on.

“Are you going to the dance with anyone?” he asked. Over Joanne’s shoulder was Lily’s face. Her bright green eyes shone with apprehension as she pushed a lock of red hair behind her ear. Behind Lily, Remus Lupin sighed sadly and continued playing with his eggs. Joanne continued to stare at Brigh dumbstruck, until Alexis had enough sense to kick her under the table.

“Ow! Uh- I mean-no,” she said and shot Alexis a fervid look of mixed anger and thanks.

“Well neither am I,” Brigh replied as he turned to leave, another smile spreading across his face that no one at the table behind him was able to see.

Joanne was extremely disappointed and didn’t look up as Brigh began walking away. Another kick from under the table lunged Joanne forward. She grabbed onto Brigh for support for the second time in the last minute.

“Do you want to go to the dance with me?” she breathed in record time.

Brigh looked down at Joanne as she clung helplessly to his robes with one hand and flipped her bushy hair out of her face with the other.

“Why not?” Brigh said. “I’ll pick you up at…..8:20 good for you?” Joanne squealed in delight and then cleared her throat to compose herself.

“8:20. Great. You can come to the Gryffindor Common Room to pick me up. Remus, could you open the portrait hole for him?” Remus shrugged a yes.

“Alright, see you at 8:20 tonight,” Brigh smirked as he made his way to the Slytherin Table.

“Bye,” whispered Joanne.



James coughed nervously as he adjusted his white bow tie in front of the Gryffindor fire. Two hours age, he’d accompanied Lily back to Gryffindor tower after a short meeting with Dumbledore to review the night’s upcoming events. He’d foolishly tried to walk her all the way up to the girl’s dormitories before the stairs flattened out into a slide and they landed in a heap at the bottom of the spiral staircase. Lily had fleetingly run up to her dormitory as soon as the stairs had resumed their usual, innocent shape. Alexis and Joanne joined her soon after. James, Sirius, Remus, and to their dislike, Brigh, had been sitting silently in front of the blazing fire for the past half hour.

The boys all anxiously looked up as they heard a door creak open somewhere up the stairs. Down floated Joanne. Her midnight blue dress exaggerated what the bulky Hogwarts robes hid so well. Rhinestones bordered the top and bottom edges of the shimmery silk. Tiny sleeves wrapped around the sides of her petite shoulders leaving the tops bare. Her usually frizzy hair was pulled back into an elegant bun near the top of her head. A small rhinestone tiara was placed just in front of the bun, completing the elegant look she strived for. Brigh approached her and took her arm.

“You look very nice Joanne,” he smiled. “And so very elegant.” Joanne beamed up at him from her place on his right arm. With all eyes on the couple, everyone failed to notice an impatient young woman descending the stairs.

“Hem-hm,” she cleared her throat. Eyes shot to Alyssa as if she were on fire. And indeed, her bright red dress made her look very much like a flame. Her hips swung wildly as she walked in the shiny red material that clung to them. Her cleavage seemed to explode out of the corset part of the dress. The v-neck of the dress plunged well below the neckline and black silk lace criss-crossed down the center of the top. The bottom of the corset ended in a downward triangle. Her thin arms were covered in delicate lace sleeves separate from the dress, beginning on her upper-arm. Everything about her screamed “Take me!” from her straight silky black hair to her matching skimpy stiletto heels that criss-crossed up her toned calves. Her image was one that could have inspired one thousand married men to drool. Joanne tilted her chin up in disapproval and led Brigh out of the common room.

“Alyssa, you look fantastic tonight,” said Remus as he bowed down to kiss her hand.

“I know,” she giggled modestly in delight. She started to pull him out of the common room.

“Hold on a sec,” said Remus. “Why don’t we wait for Lily and Alexis?”

“How about not,” smiled Alyssa little too sweetly before she continued tugging. Remus shrugged hopelessly to James and Sirius before being shoved through the portrait hole. Alyssa winked back at James before following. James shook his head.

“It’s gonna be a long night,” he said to Sirius. But Sirius wasn’t listening.

In fact, his eyes were staring at the topmost stair where Alexis stood, smiling benignly down at him. Her gorgeous gown glittered in the soft light of the fire. Her dress was a velvety crimson with streaks of gold on her arms and waist. Her hair, like Joanne’s, was also in a bun, a select few wavy locks decorating her face. The neckline complimented her mature figure, though it wasn’t quite as low as Alyssa’s. Small red gems were scattered about the top of her head. Small pieces of fabric rested on her shoulders and served as sleeves. Alexis advanced towards her dumbstruck date, her arms lifting up her skirt, revealing a pair of gold heels that gave her a boost of two inches.

“Are you going to sit there and stare at me all night or are we going to the dance?” Alexis pouted her crimson lips. Sirius shook his head to clear his thoughts and stood in front of her. He gently pulled on one of the strands of hair that wasn’t in the bun.

“Wow,” he breathed. “Alexis, you look-you’re-you’re-amazing.”

“Hmmm. So that’s why you’ve been staring at me for the last five minutes,” she mocked playfully. The girl’s dormitory door slammed shut upstairs, announcing the arrival final lady. James looked up towards the staircase yet again and nervously fingered something in his pocket.

Lily glided down the staircase with angelic grace. Her dark green velvet gown accentuated her green eyes and made them sparkle merrily. The sides of her torso were decorated in golden spirals and swirls. Her shoes poked out of her skirt with each step. They closed around the top and a small hole at the point showed her golden nails. Her hair was flowing down her back. Two pieces of it had been pulled away from her face and were intertwined with a green ribbon. An emerald studded tiara kept the few wisps of hair that tried to push into her face in place. And to top it all off, the emerald earrings from Hogsmeade were sitting on her earlobes, just touching her shoulders. James cleared his throat and came to meet Lily at the foot of the stairs.

“Why Miss Evans,” James exclaimed. “You’ve outdone yourself!” Lily blushed and smiled her thanks.

“Let’s go James,” she said as she saw Sirius and Alexis disappear out of the portrait hole. “I want to meet the band you’ve promised me.”

“Don’t worry,” James reassured Her. “You’ve definitely heard of them. And I’m afraid you can’t meet them before anyone else.” Lily pouted her disapproval.

“But I think I have something that will hold you over for awhile,” he said. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a long black box.

“James, what did you do?” gasped Lily as she stared anxiously at the box. “You didn’t have to get me anything. It’s really sweet and all but you-,” Lily’s could no longer continue her stream of comments, for James had opened the box.

Inside sitting on a velvet cushion, was a golden chain and hanging delicately on the chain, was a single emerald in the shape of a heart.

Lily reached out to touch the necklace but her actions were interrupted by James’ voice.

“Lily,” he began. “I know our friendship got off to a rocky start, to say the least. But I need to let you know that I value you as a friend and love spending time with you. I was hoping you’d take this necklace as a token of our friendship and a chance to start over.” Lily gazed down at James. Her rival, her partner, her……..friend.

“James I’d love the chance to start over- and to be your friend.” James eased the necklace out of its box. Lily lifted up her mane of hair and he clasped it around her neck. It rested on the center of her chest, drawing even more attention to her luminous eyes.

To James’ surprise, Lily aggressively took his arm, her eyes shining suspiciously, and led him out of the Gryffindor common room and towards the party ensuing in the Great Hall.

A/N: I really hope you liked this chapter. It took me a very long time to write and I actually drew pictures of all the girl's dresses! A huge thank you to my beta songbook99 for her outstanding work. I'll submit chapter fifteen as soon as this one is validated. It will cover the actual dance and will explain more about why there is such a dance. It's rather ironic that I wrote these chapters a year ago around this festive time.Please review!

Also, a very Happy Holdiday to all of my readers. I hope this chapter and the next one will serve as a Holiday treat for you.

Miss Radcliffe~