Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Loathing or Love? by Miss Radcliffe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'm back! Real life drama has kept me from posting this chapter, but on the other hand, the next chapter is also ready for posting! I also had the great honor of receiving the Most Romantic Award in last months' SIYE Challenge. Now without further ado, the chapter!

Miss Radcliffe~
Chapter 22: Family Ties

Joanne remained in the hospital wing until she fully healed from the cutting curse and was released the day before school began again. Remus and Joanne’s newfound relationship blossomed and grew every day as each discovered what they had been missing for so long. Remus’ predictions concerning James and Lily hadn’t been far off either: it took all of two hours after all the students returned to Hogwarts for the word to be spread that Lily Evans and James Potter were an official item.

As James and Lily walked, hands intertwined, to Charms, Lily felt herself blush as several girls nearby halted their conversation to watch the couple pass by.

“They’ll get over it soon,” James whispered in her ear. “Once someone else gets detention or breaks up.” Lily sighed and rested her head on James’ shoulder. Since they’d become a couple, Lily had been surprised over and over again by how well James could read her. They finally arrived at their Charms classroom and took seats directly in front of Alexis and Sirius.

“Welcome back, class!” squeaked Professor Flitwick from the top of his teetering tower of old tombs. “As I’m sure your other teachers have already reminded you, your N.E.W.T.’s are only two months away. We will spend this time reviewing everything we’ve learned in this N.E.W.T. course.” Uneasy glances and groans were passed around the room.

“Not to worry! I am confident you will all do well on your exams. Today we will be practicing the charm which changes vinegar to wine,” explained Flitwick. Flasks filled with vinegar appeared in front of each student and they began reciting their incantations.

“Did you see the Prophet this morning?” muttered Sirius from behind James as Lily waved her wand and, non-verbally, turned her flask of vinegar into a deep red wine.

“No, why? Anyone we know?” asked James as he struggled to transform his vinegar.

“Attack on a Muggle neighborhood,” explained Sirius. “In Surrey.”

Crack!

Lily’s flask shattered and her wine sprayed in every direction. Flitwick came bustling over and repaired the mess with a few quick spells.

“Try to be a bit more careful, Miss Evans,” he admonished.

When the professor was out of earshot again, Lily turned to Sirius, her complexion pale and anxious. “Surrey?”

“What’s so special about Surrey?” James asked, now trying to turn his wine back into vinegar.

“It’s where my parents and sister live,” muttered Lily. James placed a hand on her shoulder and said,

“Look, I’m sure they’re fine. Dumbledore would have told you if….anything had happened.”

“But what if the next attack is at their house? I can’t stand this!” Lily sighed.

“Maybe you should talk to your parents about putting up magical wards or relocating for awhile,” Sirius suggested.

“Why don’t we talk with Dumbledore?” James said.

“I guess you’re right. We’ll find him after class,” replied Lily. James kissed the top of her fiery head and returned his concentration to his wine.


“Finished,” Lily announced, rolling up a lengthy piece of parchment and tying a black and red ribbon around it. “James, do you mind if I use Felix?”

“Of course not,” James replied. He glanced around the Owlery to look for his owl, Felix. He had accompanied Lily there so she could finish her letter to her parents informing them of the wards Dumbledore had agreed to set around the Evans’ home.

James held out his arm and a light brown barn owl flew down to perch on it and wait patiently while Lily attached her letter.

“Thank you, Felix,” she said, and he nipped her finger affectionately before taking off into the withering sunset.

“I hope they understand,” sighed Lily, and James took her in his arms. They watched together as Felix’s yellow and brown plumage became a tiny spot against the fading sun before disappearing altogether in the array of colors.

“I’m sure they will. It’s for their safety after all,” soothed James. Lily laughed, causing James to start, which only made her laugh harder.

“What?” he asked, utterly confused, as frown lines etched their way across his face. Still chuckling lightly, Lily turned in his arms.

“I never told you about Petunia, did I?” she smiled sadly.

“Petunia? Isn’t that your-?”

“Sister, yeah.”

“Well how come you never talk about her?” James questioned, trying hard not to overstep his boundaries.

“Let’s just say we don’t see eye to eye,” sighed Lily. “Ever since I got my Hogwarts letter, things haven’t been the same.” She took hold of his hand and led him outside.

“She’s older than I am, you see,” Lily explained. “I guess she couldn’t stand the fact that Mum and Dad’s attention wasn’t solely focused on her anymore. Don’t get me wrong, though, Mum and Dad always loved me and paid me attention, but usually it was for accidentally blowing things up or stealing something. Of course, I was really conjuring objects and that sort of thing, and when I got my letter, it all sort of clicked.” She paused to open the front doors of the school and lead James into the Entrance Hall, where a few students were still milling about. When they reached an empty corridor, Lily spoke again.

“Petunia wasn’t the model student or perfect daughter anymore and since then she’s always treated me very coldly and has a hatred for all things magical. She might not be too keen on putting up magical wards around her house, even if it’s for her own protection.”

Without realizing it, Lily and James had ended up in the Gryffindor common room, their only company being the crackling fire.

“I’ve never told anyone that before,” Lily whispered, slightly ashamed and dropping her head. James lifted her chin until her eyes met his.

“I’m glad you told me, Lily,” he said, and she could see his sincerity in his hazel eyes. Ever so slowly, he leaned in and kissed her soft lips and cupped the back of her fiery head. Lily felt her hands wrap around his waist and, as the kiss deepened, they slid downward until-

“Oh, sorry! Didn’t realize you two were, um-” Joanne blushed grandly and Remus stood by her side, grinning from ear to ear. “We’ll go if you want,” Joanne continued, averting her eyes anywhere other than the cozy couple.

“That’s alright, I was just going up to bed,” said Lily. “Goodnight.” She gave James a lingering kiss before leaving him with a goofy smile and his glasses askew.

A/N: Thanks to my lovely beta, songbook99 for correcting all of my weirdly worded sentence (such as this one). Please review and I'll have the next chapter up ASAP!