Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Loathing or Love? by Miss Radcliffe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: I’m baaaaack! The rate these chapters are getting posted, I’ll have all the chapters I’ve written so far (13 ½) up in less than a week! Thanks to femmefatale and songbook 99 for their inspiring reviews. Reviews like those help me with ideas to write (hint, hint, wink, wink.) That being said, enjoy the next chapter!

A/N 2: This chapter has been revised to add more plot hints and more words for another website that limits their submissions to 1000+ only. There is an added scene and numerous small changes. Please read and review!

Miss Radcliffe


Chapter 5: Full Moon

James sat back in one of the more comfortable armchairs in the Gryffindor Common Room and glanced over the piece of parchment in his hands. His meeting with Lily had not only brightened his mood about their relationship but had inspired him to do his best in his job to find a band for the ball. Though being the prankster he was, James couldn’t help but twist things a little bit.

“What’s that?” said a voice from above James’ shoulder. James jumped slightly and stuffed the parchment into his pocket. Remus glared at him suspiciously.

“What’s what?” James smiled all too innocently. Remus sighed.

“Fine. If you don’t want me to find out you must have a good reason for it,” Remus dropped into another armchair and stared into the fire. James took a moment to marvel at the way Remus let the subject go so quickly and without question. He really couldn’t have better friends.

“You ready for tonight?” James asked hesitantly.

“I’m never ready,” Remus said. “But I’ll be going through with it as always.”

The subject of the full moon wasn’t an easy one for Remus to talk about and James knew it caused his friend much pain.

“No need to worry too much Moony, we’re planning on joining you,” James replied. He swung his bag over his shoulder and tramped up to the dorm, not seeing the ghost of a smile playing on Remus’ face.

**********************************************


“And for your homework, I want a foot long essay on “ Mr. Black and Miss Young! That’s the 4th time in the last half hour that I’ve asked you to keep hands to yourself!!!” shouted an exasperated Professor Slughorn. Sirius grinned while Alexis turned a brilliant shade of pink and quietly returned her hands to her own desk. “As I was saying, I want a foot long essay on the healing properties of a bezoar. Class dismissed.” The students filed out of the classroom one by one, or, in Sirius and Alexis’ case, two by two.

Ever since the day Sirius saved Alexis from drowning, the two had been inseparable. It was now a common fact at Hogwarts knew they were going on their first date the following day during the first Hogsmeade Weekend. Everyone was waiting on tenterhooks to see whether the year’s hottest couple would emerge from the date.

The day before the weekend in question Lily, Alexis, and Joanne were in the Gryffindor Common trying unsuccessfully to complete their Charms homework. After catching herself daydreaming for the third time, Joanne switched her gaze to Alexis.

“So do you know where he’s taking you?” she asked.

“I have absolutely no clue,” giggled Alexis. She placed her quill down which had been quite dry for the past half hour. “He said wants it to be a surprise.”

“I’m surprised James didn’t take advantage of the situation at the lake and ask me out again,” sighed Lily. “Maybe he really does have a bit of sense in him.” She peered out the window up at the stars. “It’s a very clear night. The moon is so beautiful when it’s full.”

“Did you say full?” Joanne questioned. She quickly gathered her books and fled up the stairs.

“What was that all about?” said Alexis. “She’s been acting really strange, always cooped up in a corner with that book.” She shrugged and dipped her quill into her ink just as Remus walked down the tower stairs. He looked exceptionally pale and clammy which worried Lily.

“Are you alright, Remus?” inquired Lily. “You look really ill. You should see Madam Pomfrey.”

“Yeah. I’m on my way right now,” he said hastily as he climbed through the portrait hole.

“He was always sickly, that one,” said Alexis half-heartedly.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * *

“You should transform now, Wormtail,” suggested James. “I’ll carry you in my pocket. We’ll fit better under the cloak that way.” Peter nodded and transformed into a into his Animagi form. He scurried up James’ pant leg and into his pocket. A moment later his anxious head peeked out. “Right then, let’s go.”

James, Sirius, and Peter (who resided in James’ pocket) exited the dorm they shared and walked into the common room. They were about to head for the portrait hole when-

“Where do you think you’re going?” asked a certain redhead.

“Probably to check up on Remus, Lils,” supplied Alexis quickly grabbing hold of Sirius’ hand and holding it up to her cheek.

“Yeah uh - that’s right,” shrugged James.

“Don’t wait up for us, though,” cooed Sirius as he released Alexis and followed James out of the common room.

The boys threw the invisibility cloak over themselves and walked quietly down to the grounds. As soon as they reached the Whomping Willow they tossed off the cloak and James transformed into a great white stag and while Sirius transformed into a shaggy black dog. Wormtail pressed a knot near the roots of the giant, thrashing tree. Soon, a sorrowful howl could be heard throughout the grounds, and moments later, a werewolf was barreling out from under the willow. A gasp told them they were being watched, a gasp that the werewolf heard as well. He sprinted straight for a cluster of bushes not five feet away from the Whomping Willow and effortlessly pried them from the ground and revealing a frightened teenage girl with slightly bushy, dirty-blond hair.

The stag’s eyes widened in shock and fear. He galloped forward and stood between the beast and Joanne, both so helpless in their own way. The werewolf swung at the girl with its hairy arm, as the dog pushed her out of the way. The monster became entangled in a battle with the dog and the stag kneeled down enabling the Joanne to climb onto his back. They raced to the large oak front doors of Hogwarts. Momentarily, the stag changed back into a human.

“Common room. Later.” He said briskly. Then he transformed and hurried away into the darkness leaving Joanne shocked and alone.

A/N: A special thanks to dramaangelsj for staying up till 1:30 in the morning to help me finish this chapter. Thanks to Madam Bones for her accursed sense of humor. I know this one's a bit short but the next chapter will make up for it i promise. Please review!