Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Loathing or Love? by Miss Radcliffe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Sorry this chapter took so long to get up. I'm in a show at school and have a main part and am seeing the fourth movie aaaat midnight!!! So I'm really busy and didn't have time between rehearsalsa and homework to submit. Sorry for the delay and enjoy!


Chapter 8: A Threat and an Announcement

"Want more potatoes, Sirius?" Alexis chimed with a dreamy look on her carefully painted face.

"Lexibun, anything from you I will take," Sirius flirted back.

"Will you two shut up?" agonized James. "You're making me nauseous."

"You're just jealous, Prongs," Sirius laughed a bit too loudly. Lily blushed a brilliant shade of scarlet and James kicked Sirius hard in the shins.

"Ow! What did you do that for?" cried Sirius. "Oh," he realized when he chanced a look at Lily's face.

"Uh- you're looking better tonight, Remus," stammered Lily uncomfortably. "Did Madam Pomfrey help you?" The Marauders plus Joanne, shared a look of panic that lasted only a second before Remus answered,

"Yeah, she gave me a Pepper-Up Potion and sent me back to Gryffindor Tower to sleep on it." Joanne let out a breath she hadn't known she'd been holding in. It was the evening of Halloween, and Hogwarts was holding its annual Halloween feast. The usual Jack-o-lanterns were floating above the heads of the students and teachers, and candy filled the golden plates that sat on the long tables.

"Hey look! It's the Crouch fellow from the Ministry!" pointed out James. And indeed it was. Mr. Crouch was an avid worker in the Ministry of Magic. His son was a first year Slytherin.

Crouch whispered something in Dumbledore's ear. Dumbledore looked up and whispered something back before dismissing him with a nod. Dumbledore turned to Professer McGonagall on his left-hand side and began discussing something seemingly serious with her.

"Wonder what Crouch is here for," pondered Sirius as he unwrapped a pack of Pepper Imps. "I never liked him much. Care to share?" Sirius offered a Pepper Imp to Alexis. They each ate one and their mouths began to smoke. Alexis laughed in Sirius' face, covering both of them in a cloud of smoke. When it cleared, the two were snogging and smoke was protruding from Sirius' ears. Lily and Joanne looked aghast and James snorted into his cup of Pumpkin Juice.

"Leave them be," replied Remus. "Something to blackmail them with later." The plates suddenly cleared and the Great Hall fell silent as the Headmaster stood up.

"I hope you all have enjoyed your meals and that the sweets haven't made you too overexcited," Dumbledore smiled. His eyes skimmed over the Great Hall and twinkled when he caught sight of Alexis and Sirius.

"I would like to take this opportunity to announce that the Head Boy and Girl," he nodded to James and Lily, "are currently organizing a Holiday Dance to be held before winter break." Giggles and murmurs alike filled the room until Dumbledore cleared his throat and it was quiet again.

"The ball is reserved for fifth years and above. However," Dumbledore continued through the groans of disappointment. "There will be parties in each of the common rooms for fourth years and under." High spirits once again raced through the room.

"That being said," started the headmaster, as the students’ voices ceased. "It is that time again where you must all return to your respective common rooms. Happy Halloween." Amid the scraping of benches, Peter glanced over at the Slytherin table. Snape caught his eye and mouthed the words nine-thirty. Peter quickly looked away and tried to join in the conversation the rest of his party was having.

***************************************************


MADMAN THREATENS WIZARDING WORLD
By Kenneth Jennings

Late Friday night, the Minister of Magic was returning from a meeting with the head of Gringott’s Bank only to find his office in complete disarray. He called in specialized Hit Wizards to search the room in case of anything dangerous. An enchanted piece of parchment was recovered. It was drenched in a mysterious bright green potion, that burned anyone who touches it. On the parchment was a picture of a skull with a snake protruding from its mouth. The bottom of the parchment read, “Beware Of Lord Voldemort”. In an interview with Minister Balatro about the incident, he commented, "Our aurors are looking into this man who calls himself Lord Voldemort. So far they have found nothing on him. He seems to have made up this name for himself. There is no need to worry about him. It’s just poppycock. I'm positive that the threats' only purpose is to scare the wizarding world.“ In the meantime, aurors have tightened security around the Minister, his wife and stepdaughter. Looks like the Ministry doesn’t want to take any chances with this poppycock.


"What a lazy fool," scowled Remus as he showed the article to Peter during breakfast the day after Halloween. "I'm not so sure about not taking this guy seriously. If he could get into the Minister's office undetected and leave a dangerous potion there, I'd say that's serious."

"Come on Moony," replied James as he took a bite out of his toast. "I'm sure the Minister gets threats like this everyday. Right Peter?" Peter nodded but inside, he wasn't so sure.

*************************************************

"Lily. Lily!" James yelled as he walked across into the common room. "Ah, there you are," he panted and walked over to her. She, Alexis and Joanne were doing their homework around one of the tables.

"What is it, James? What happened?" asked Lily. She looked him up and down. He looked so good when he was working out. She had watched him from afar practicing Quidditch. She marveled at the way sweat would mess up his hair even more then it usually was. Suddenly, James grinned.

"I did it," he whispered.

"Did what?" agonized Lily.

"I booked a band for the dancel."

"A band? Well congratulations then," she said and turned back to her parchment.

"That's it? Congratulations? I thought you'd be overjoyed! You've been after me to book a band for weeks!" he said.

"It's great James, really great. Now we can finally move on to decorations," she sighed, not looking up from her homework. James sighed as well and walked away, clearly disappointed. She tried not to show it, but she was disappointed too.

"He's trying really hard you know," Joanne smirked. "I would have said yes a long time ago."

"Maybe I like to play hard to get," retorted Lily.

"Or maybe you just don't want to admit you like him," smiled Alexis. "After all, that's why it took Sirius and me so long."

"And look where that got you," grinned Lily as she mimed smoke coming out of her ears.

"Shut up," mumbled Alexis as she got up, probably to look for Sirius.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"Hit it at Chaplan! Hit it at Chaplan!" James shouted at one of his beaters. A bludger whizzed past Kathy Chaplan as she passed the quaffle to James. James flew towards the goals and scored easily against his keeper. He blew his whistle and the team assembled on their brooms in the middle of the pitch.

"Good practice, but we'll have to do better to beat Slytherin in the match tomorrow," James began, “McCallen, don't freak out when you see the quaffle coming. And Marina, anticipate where the chaser is going before you hit the bludger. See you bright and early tomorrow morning."


A/N: Cheers to betas Madam Bones, kaity445, and drammanjelsj. I believe those last paragraphs were spoilers enough for you eager readers. I promise I'll get the next chapter up faster. Please review!

Miss Radcliffe