Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Mystery of the Lightning Bond by electronicquillster

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Do I own anything? No. I don’t even own this disclaimer, so you’d better sue me for that as well. I’m pretty sure I ripped it off of someone else. Please tell them I did. Tell JK to cut out my entrails and burn them as well, and go ahead and tell Jerry Bruckheimer’s staff that I stole that line from National Treasure.

ELEMENTS OF THIS STORY WERE INSPIRED BY THE MOST EXCELLENT STORY CALLED “DO BE MY ENEMY FOR FRIENDSHIP’S SAKE”! IT’S SUPERB, SO I DEMAND THAT YOU GO AND READ IT RIGHT AFTER YOU FINISH THIS CHAPTER!

You’re going to meet a lot of Andrea’s family this chapter since she is going home for the holidays. Bear in mind that none of these people really matter in the scheme of things. The only people you meet in this chapter that matter are Darren and Rachel, otherwise it’s no big deal, and you really don’t have to pay much attention to Darren and Rachel because I’ll tell you everything you need to know when they pop up again later.

Pg 460

The next morning Andrea woke up very early. She hadn’t slept as well after waking up so horribly from her dream. She quickly and quietly got ready and then rushed out of the common room and made her way to the gargoyle on the third floor that guarded the gateway to Dumbledore’s office. “Peppermint Peacocks.”

The gargoyle didn’t move other than to shake his head.

“Blast! It’s different?”

The gargoyle nodded in the affirmative.

“Okay, how about Chocolate Frog? Drooble’s Best Blowing Gum? Honeydukes? It’s really important that I talk to the headmaster! Please let me in?” she finally pleaded knowing that she couldn’t guess anymore this early in the morning.

The gargoyle cocked his head to the side, seeming to contemplate for a moment, then he hopped aside, much to her surprise. She hadn’t really expected the creature to just let her in. But then she guessed that the gargoyle probably knew that sometimes there needed to be an exception. “Thank you,” she said sincerely as she stepped onto the moving staircase.

Once she reached the top of the staircase, she knocked on the closed door, and some mumbling behind it quickly stopped. “Come in,” Professor Dumbledore’s voice rang through the door.

Andrea came in. “Good morning, Headmaster,” she smiled.

He smiled in return, though it was a tired smile, and she noticed that he had the beginnings of dark circles under his eyes. “Good morning, Miss Benning. It’s quite early, what brings you here?”

“Well, I had kind of a weird experience during the night.”

“Please, sit,” he motioned to some chairs that were in front of his desk. They were wooden, with straight, high backs. She sat on the middle one. “Go ahead and tell me what happened.”

She proceeded to tell him about her Quidditch dream and then how she’d woken up, as if from a nightmare, in a cold sweat, etc.

“Well, are you feeling quite all right now? I’m sure Madam Pomfrey would be more than pleased to assist you in any way she can,” Dumbledore said when she was finished.

“It all subsided rather quickly. I’m feeling fine now, a bit tired if anything,” she answered.

“It was an exhausting night for many of us. I wouldn’t worry too much though, your experience isn’t out of the ordinary. There have been other times like this for you, no?”

“It happens from time to time. I’ll be doing something and have emotions that don’t relate at all to what is going on around me.”

“Completely natural, considering the circumstances. Anyone in your same position can tell you that.”

“I just thought you would want to know, in case it was anything serious.”

“Oh don’t worry,” Dumbledore assured her. “Things are being taken care of as we speak. But it’s nothing for you to worry about. Things will turn out all right as long as we don’t have any problems.”

Andrea chuckled at this last part. Dumbledore had that ability to keep a bit of humor even at serious times. Of course things would be fine if there weren’t problems.

“If there’s nothing more you wish to discuss, then I suggest you hurry along and get some breakfast and finish packing your things to leave. The carriages will be leaving to take you and your classmates to Hogsmeade station in a couple of hours.”

She nodded and thanked Dumbledore for his time.

“It’s always a pleasure to speak with you, Andrea. Happy Christmas!”

“Happy Christmas to you too, Professor Dumbledore!”

~*~*~

After having a quick breakfast and then packing her trunk to leave for the holidays she made her way down to the Entrance Hall with Roderick and the three Abercrombie brothers. She’d already said goodbye to Sophie; she was staying with her sister Barbara at Hogwarts for Christmas, the two both felt the need to devote as much time in the castle without regular distractions to study for the OWLs in Sophie’s case and the NEWTs in Barbara’s. Andrea couldn’t imagine wanting to stay at school for the holidays so that she could study. She had devoted every spare moment in the library this past week so that she wouldn’t have to do very much homework while on break.

The boys ditched her and climbed into their own carriage in front of the castle, but Andrea didn’t make a fuss. She happily climbed into a carriage with Hermione and Neville. Neville would be spending the holidays with his gran at home with the rest of his family. Andrea had bought him a particularly interesting plant for Christmas. She’d had the witch in the shop help her pick it out, and she couldn’t remember the name of it at the moment, but she’d been able to keep it alive for about a week, so she was pretty proud of herself. She gave it to Neville on the train ride home so it wouldn’t die before Christmas, and he’d been really excited about it, knowing what it was as well as its uses. He also congratulated Andrea on her ability to keep it alive by herself.

Hermione was going on a skiing trip with her muggle parents. For the past couple of weeks Andrea had been learning about skiing as a part of their winter sports unit for Muggle Studies class. Andrea gave Hermione her gift on the train as well because it was a pair of skiing goggles, some intense condition sunscreen and lip balm. The last two were both products from the wizarding world, but would far outshine any muggle product. Andrea knew from her study that it was guaranteed that skiers would receive sunburns if they didn’t take the proper precautions. Hermione was very glad for the thoughtful gift.

Andrea and Roderick’s Christmas would be spent at the Benning Manor with all of their family coming home as well. Mr. and Mrs. Benning where there on the platform when the two stepped off the train. They waved a cheery goodbye to their friends before being pulled into a bone-crushing hug by their mother. Walter Benning stood behind her, smiling at his children and trying his best not to laugh. This kind of hug was just as traditional as the way she always sent her children off to Hogwarts in September. The next moment she was holding each of them at arms length, the next part of what her husband and children referred to as the ritual.

“Oh dear, you two look far too skinny, but I suppose you’re healthy enough. Have you been eating a balanced diet? Fruits AND vegetables? You don’t skip breakfast do you? You don’t owl nearly as often as I’d like.” Every day is what she would like. Once a week is what she actually got. “I suppose you’re too busy with your studies though, at least that’s what your father tells me. You ARE studying aren’t you? Roderick, did I hear that you have a girlfriend? Tell me all about what she is like! Do you have a picture of the two of you? Perhaps we can have her and her family over for dinner sometime in the next few weeks. I hope she isn’t becoming a distraction. I saw Edward and his brothers come off the train as well. Does Edward still like that Katie Bell? His mother told me that Euan was sorted into Gryffindor as well, that’s excellent isn’t it?”

By the time they reached the Benning Manor Mrs. Benning’s inquiries of her two youngest children were over and done with and she was back to normal speaking patterns, meaning that her children and husband could actually answer her questions. But she still had more to go. Her three older sons were all arriving in the next few days along with their respective girlfriends, wives, and children. In addition to their immediate family, Mr. Benning’s brothers and their families would be at the Benning Manor for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Their house would be full and bustling up to the brim of excitement, just the way the Bennings liked it. Some families aren’t close, but the Bennings definitely did not fit in that category.

The next morning Andrea and Roderick’s oldest brother flooed in with his family. Dai and his lovely wife Judith had two young girls, Maggie and Grace, who were five and three respectively. These girls had their mother’s blonde, curly hair, and ice blue eyes, and loved to giggle. They also adored their Uncle Roderick, and he adored them in return.

By dinner time the next batch had arrived. Second oldest of the Benning children, Kevin and his wife Elizabeth had sworn not to have any more children. They were convinced that their set of troublesome triplet boys would be enough to last them the rest of their lives. The four year olds Sam, Simon, and Seth all had brown hair, and, even at this age, eyes that could only be called a conspiratorial hazel.

Due to his relationship with Sarah Edgewood, Roderick hadn’t spent as much time in the library as Andrea had over the last few weeks and had to confine himself to the study for a few hours every day during the first week of the holidays. Maggie and Grace took their dolls into the study as well so they could be with their beloved uncle the first day. Judith then asked Roderick to study during the afternoon, conveniently during the girl’s usual nap time. This worked like a charm, Roderick was able to work, and the girls fell asleep for a couple of hours.

By the time Roderick was finished with all of his homework the Kestrals had played their last game and Darren was free to come home. He also brought his lovely team mate, Rachel. Andrea and Rachel got along really well and the two were the only ones who could keep Sam, Simon and Seth from getting into too much trouble. Kevin and Elizabeth jokingly asked if the two girls would possibly consider taking their sons and raising them until they got their Hogwarts letters. Andrea loved the boys dearly, and Rachel was quite taken with them as well, but they declined Kevin and Elizabeth’s query, which wasn’t entirely meant in a joking way.

~*~*~

On Christmas Eve the extended family of Bennings showed up for a buffet style dinner and then stories around the huge roaring fire in the great room. There was a huge Christmas tree in the corner of the room, decorated with glowing fairies and enchanted snowflakes with sprigs of holly berries here and there. Flet actually joined her fellow fairies this year on the tree. She was extremely vain and enjoyed choosing a spot at the top of the tree.

The Bennings all settled in for an evening of laughter. Andrea was sitting in-between Rachel and her cousin Penelope, and each of the girls had one of the triplets. Kevin and Elizabeth were glad for yet another opportunity to have some time to themselves and cuddle in peace. Rachel wasn’t missing out on any time with Darren though, he had his arm around her and she had his head on her shoulder. It didn’t take long for her ward, Simon, to fall asleep, lying across both Darren and Rachel’s laps.

Grandpa Benning was always the first to start the story telling, relating the tale of how he met his wife. They went to Hogwarts together, and she wouldn’t speak to him until seventh year when Grandpa’s friends locked them in a tower together for the entire Easter weekend. Needless to say, when Grandma was finally forced to talk to her admirer of three years, she sort of came around. They were married the next October.

Next Grandpa Brand, Mrs. Benning’s father, who was always referred to as Captain by his grandchildren, told about his Quidditch glory days. He was captain of the Heidelburg Harriers in the late forties and early fifties. He met his wife during the Harriers’ match against the Holyhead Harpies in 1953. During the week long game, which he liked to recount almost every detail of, he took the opportunity to woo and flirt with his opposite number on the Harpies’ side, Gwendolyn Morgan. At the end of the match, he proposed marriage to Miss Morgan. She clobbered him on the head with her Cleansweep, giving him a concussion. After he was taken to St. Mungo’s, merely as a precaution, Gwendolyn started feeling guilty. She went to visit the invalid. He kissed her that day, and she gave him an actual answer to his marriage proposal. They married the next week, though their marriage didn’t affect the highly competitive spirit between the Harpies and Harriers. The rematch was another bitter week-long battle. Brand’s wife finally used her leverage to distract him just long enough for the Harpies’ beaters to hit him with a bludger, sending him to St. Mungo’s again with another concussion. The Harpies won the game and Gwendolyn retired her Harpies robes.

~*~*~

There was only one day of the year on which Morgan and Walter’s children would wake up early without any difficulty. Christmas morning found Dai, Kevin, Darren, Roderick and Andrea waiting anxiously in front of the Christmas tree, examining their presents, making guesses as to what they were. They were under strict orders not to wake anyone else up until seven o’clock, and by no means were they to open their presents until everyone was up and in the great room with them.

At six fifty-eight, the five Benning children all gathered anxiously around the grandfather clock in the entryway.

Six fifty-nine.

Thirty seconds left.

Twenty.

Fourteen.

Ten.

Three, Two, One.

BANG! All five started making as much of a ruckus as they could, setting off a few Filibuster Indoor Fireworks as well, and rushing from room to room trying to rouse all of their family. After years of this, people were used to the ritual and no longer made too much of a fuss about it; besides, presents were always followed with an exquisitely delicious breakfast, which was well worth getting up early for on a holiday.

There were enough presents to fill everyone’s fancy. Andrea got a new set of robes, some new quills, a myriad of Quidditch related items, some delicious sweets from Dean and Seamus and some from Neville as well, an autographed photo of the weird sisters from Sophie, a decorative little hand mirror from Hermione, a wizard deck from Neal, and then a set of muggle boxing gloves with a card signed affectionately by ‘Frank and Gene.’

By the end of the day the extended family had left the Benning Manor and Andrea’s nieces and nephews had finally worn their parents resolve down enough to let them use their new presents from Grandpa and Grandma the next day. Training brooms. Judith and Elizabeth had been horrified. Dai and Kevin had tried to be horrified as well after getting over their initial excitement and noticing their wives reactions to the brooms.

Walter had proclaimed that it was never too early to begin training for the game. Morgan had quietly reassured her daughters-in-law that the brooms were bewitched to fly very slowly, no more than three feet from the ground, and to veer away from large objects like trees or buildings. They also had a proximity charm so that they couldn’t stray very far from home. With all of the reassurances and the overabundant pleading of their children, Judith and Elizabeth decided they could let the little ones use their broomsticks.

~*~*~

On New Year’s Eve Walter and Morgan gathered around the fire in the entry way with their children. They were only waiting for Elizabeth and Judy to tuck in the children before leaving for the Wood residence. Walter worked in the same department as Mr. Wood and the Bennings had been going to their traditional New Years Eve party for years. Finally the two came downstairs. “I must admit,” Elizabeth conceded, “I was really worried about those training brooms, but after a full day on their brooms, the triplets actually go to bed without a fuss, and THAT is something I thought would NEVER happen,” she laughed.

Walter winked at his daughters-in-law, “Grandpa knows best.”

“Don’t let him fool you, it was MY idea, I raised four rowdy boys myself, not to mention quite a rambunctious little girl,” Morgan whispered to Judith and Elizabeth.

“Everyone have their brooms?” Captain Brand asked. They all nodded. “Good. Let’s go then!” He and his wife were the first to take a handful of Floo Powder and toss it into the fire. The great grandparents switched off years for who would stay behind and watch the little ones.

Next Dai and his wife, then Darren and Rachel. Roderick and Andrea followed, and then the others after them. While they were all waiting for their whole party to show up, Gran Gwen asked if Roderick would be joining the adults in the ballroom this year or not for dancing.

“No, not until seventh year,” Roderick answered. “I’ve got to keep an eye on this one here,” he put a protective arm around Andrea.

Andrea shoved him playfully away. “Torment me is more like. I will never get over that trick you pulled when I was in my second year, the first time Mum and Dad let me come.”

“Oh yeah!” Darren laughed. “I’d almost forgotten!”

The rest of her brothers started laughing as well. “What happened?” Rachel asked.

“We asked Oliver to teach her how to dance,” Darren explained.

“That’s not so bad.”

“Not if I wasn’t four years younger than him, and had a huge crush on him! I couldn’t even talk to him, and I nearly spilled my pumpkin juice all over myself when he came up and asked me to dance.”

“Oh,” Rachel said, now understanding. The four brothers were still laughing.

“You had a huge crush on me? I never knew that,” Oliver laughed, having just entered the room.

“Oh Merlin, please let me just disappear!” Andrea groaned, putting a hand over her face.

“This just gets better and better!” Darren roared, slapping his knee. Rachel slapped him up the back of his head.

Mr. and Mrs. Wood came in, just as Mr. and Mrs. Benning stepped through the fireplace. “Welcome, welcome!” Mr. Wood boomed, heartily taking Mr. Benning’s hand and shaking it.

Oliver made his way over to Andrea’s side. “I must say I’m a bit flattered that you had a crush on me.”

“HAD a crush on you,” they both laughed.

“I guess that would explain why you were as stiff as a board.”

Andrea smiled. “I couldn’t believe that the sixth year Gryffindor, captain of the Quidditch team, crush of my entire time at Hogwarts up til then, had actually asked me to dance. And I didn’t even know how!”

“You still learned rather quickly,” he offered her his arm as they all started to leave the room which they Flooed into. As embarrassing as the ordeal had been for Andrea at the time, it was actually not so bad to talk about it with Oliver now. He played Keeper for Puddlemere United and had been to the Benning Manor with the rest of the team quite often, allowing Oliver and Andrea to become friends. “I did think it was a bit odd for a second that Darren asked me to teach you, but I didn’t think too much of it.”

“Do you want to know something absolutely horrifying?” Andrea asked him, a playful gleam in her eye.

“Of course.”

“I had already decided the names of our seven children,” Andrea laughed.

Wood looked a little surprised for a minute, his ears turning slightly pink. He quickly joined in Andrea’s laughter though. “Seven you say? We had our own Quidditch team then.”

“Naturally.”

“That is a bit horrifying.”

“I told you it was horrifying. It even horrifies me that I’d planned all that. I was a silly second year with an enormous crush.”

“You’ve grown up quite a lot,” he commented. “It won’t be long before you’re as old as I am.”

“You’ll always be four years older than me,” they both laughed.

“You know what I meant.”

“I do,” she smiled. “It’s good to come to these parties and see that you’re here and you’re still close to everyone from your seventh year.”

“Almost everyone. It is nice though. Sometimes we’re not very close through the rest of the year, and some of the old group have left, but on New Year’s Eve, it’s like time stands still for a night, and everything is almost as it should be.” He had a thoughtful look on his face as they looked over and saw the knot of Oliver’s friends sitting at one of the dinner tables. “Who is your crush these days?”

“What?”

“Well, I’m curious to know who succeeded me as the future father of your own personal Quidditch team. I think I’m entitled to the opportunity of deciding if he’s suitable.”

Andrea laughed.

“Unless it’s still me,” he winked. She punched him playfully on the arm.

“No, it is not you. I actually don’t think I want seven anymore anyway; being an aunt has been quite an eye opening experience you might say.”

“But you’re not going to tell me who it is?”

“No. Oliver, you worked as a pawn for my brothers before, if they knew that I had told you who it is that I fancy, they would stop at nothing to extract that information from you so that they can use it to tease me mercilessly. I learned my lesson, and I couldn’t subject you to such dangerous information.”

They both laughed.

“Oliver!” Mrs. Wood was calling him from the entry room.

“I guess I’ll go ahead and tell you that Darren set me the task of trying to find out who your current crush is.”

Andrea’s jaw dropped. “I should’ve known!”

Oliver laughed. “I’ll see you around later.”

“See you.”

Andrea made her way out to the backyard because that is where the teenagers always gathered. She didn’t know very many people there. Now that Oliver had graduated, the younger guests were just children of Oliver’s parents’ friends. She looked for Roderick and saw that he had wasted no time in finding Sarah Edgewood. Edward was there, but he was busy trying to flirt with Katie Bell.

“Andrea?”

She turned around to see who it was that was calling her name. She was surprised to see it was none other than Terry Boot, Sophie’s Ravenclaw boyfriend.

“Hi Terry.”

“Mind if I play as your shadow for the night? I don’t really know anyone here.”

“No, not at all. I’m in the same boat as you,” she smiled. “I don’t know many people here either.”

The two weren’t very close at all, but by the time they’d shared a meal, danced a bit, and played a few rounds of Wizards and Warlocks and other wizarding games, they were becoming fast friends. The food was good, the midnight fireworks were beautiful, and the games, even though Terry and Andrea ended up on the opposite team from Adam, were exciting and fun. There was only one time when Andrea wasn’t having a wonderful time. After all the games, everyone went inside for a final two or three dances as everyone started to Floo out in turn. Andrea had had a really fun time with Terry, but as they danced, surrounded by couples, Andrea had the sudden wish for George Weasley to be there with her at that moment. At first the thought surprised her, but after a little reflection, she realized that he was more than just a crush.

The day that Fred had taken her aside and had the talk with her about how she and George fancied each other, and then George had agreed with her that they were only friends, Andrea had decided that George was no more than a crush and had decided that it was best if it remained that way. Only a crush. However, unbeknownst to herself even, she’d continued to fall for the red-haired joker. She thought of the last time she’d been with him, under the mistletoe.

~*~ The Wood’s New Year’s Eve party has been used in this story with the permission of ByMerlinsBeard. I also drew a lot from ‘Quidditch Through The Ages.’