Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Boy Next Door by gossipweaver

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: She is… his every move… that he makes… every breath he takes…every spell he casts…everything he touches… sees… and smiles… powered by his thumping heart…
Chapter 17 Instincts Of The Thumping Heart (Reprise)

“OH MY GOSH! DID YOU JUST HEAR THAT?” Hermione’s shrill voice shrieked through the backroom as its frantic owner trampled her way inside, short-circuiting an already confused Harry and a shocked Ginny even more. Noticing Harry and Ginny were too busy gaping at each other in disbelief, she quickly winked at Ron, who was also rushing in, to continue the cover-up.

“YEAH! WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?” Ron added in an exaggerated manner, picking up Hermione’s furtive eyes, who was now covering her cheeks in complete astonishment. “HOW COME YOU’RE IN THE COMPETITION, HARRY?”

Hermione quickly dragged their immobile bodies out of their seats and pushed them out of the backroom and towards the fields. As they inched closer, they could hear the gasps and murmurs echoing from the crowds; everyone was shocked that Oliver Wood was not the final competitor of the evening, as the newspapers had reported.

“There… must… be… a mistake… what about… Oliver?” Harry squeaked in a shiver as Hermione removed the blazer from Ginny’s shoulders and helped him put it on. It was obvious his body was completely frozen, because he was letting her have her way with him like a sock puppet.

“What’s… my Firebolt… doing here?” he muttered unconsciously, staring at the broomstick tugged underneath a bench.

“Oh yes,” Hermione swallowed, forcing a hearty laugh. “It’s one of Sam’s silly tricks. She hid it there because… she… wants you to think you lost it… to freak you out… she wanted to play a trick on you… you know… her usual craziness! I guess it’s not a good hiding place since you found it already!”

“Where is she?” asked Harry, still sounding very spaced out.

“Erm… maybe she’s… in the bathroom!” Hermione breathed shallowly as she smoothed his blazer.

Suddenly, Ginny gasped and freed herself from the group, apparently awakened from what she thought was a horrible sleepwalking episode.

“I… I don’t know what’s going on… but this is absolutely crazy! This must be some bad joke! I’m beginning to wonder if… if you two… have anything to do with this…

“I… can’t just pair with… Harry… just like that…” she darted to the backroom, her entire body trembling.

“Sis, who cares!” Ron seized her by the shoulder. “Oliver’s not here! Your names have been called! You’re in a costume. Harry is in a costume. His Firebolt__”

“I CARE! What about my safety? We… we never… practiced__”

“There’s no time!” Hermione cut in, glaring at the looming gateway leading to the Quidditch fields.

“Ginny, listen! LISTEN TO ME!” Ron shook Ginny and gazed deeply into her watery eyes, trying to calm her down. “I am your brother! Your safety is my top priority! There’s a safety net in case anything happens. But I’m sure you won’t need it…

“Oliver is right. He was keeper at the game at the Burrow, remember? He got to see the entire field and he saw how Harry caught you when you fell… as if Harry knew where you were in the air the entire time.

“I was also keeper at the opposite end!” he continued, his words getting louder and faster. “I got to see everything too! When I saw you fall, I didn’t have even a drop of fear or worry, and you want to know why?

“It’s because Harry was hovering next to you!” he shouted reassuringly, flaring his arms uncontrollably. “Harry was covered in pumpkin juice all over his eyes. But I still wasn’t afraid… because I know I can depend on him… he’s going to save you, just like he always does… AND HE DID!!

“Even mum wasn’t rushing out! She told me she was watching us, worrying about us as usual!

“Yet all she did was slip a mug to the floor. She did nothing, just like I was, and Fred, and George… doing absolutely nothing! She, like the rest of us, also saw Harry next to you, and our own protective mother trusted him enough to let you go, to place your safety in his hands…

“I think I can say this for me and on behalf of the entire Weasley clan…” he was pounding his heart with his fist. “If there’s one person we trust with your well-being and safety, IT IS HARRY!!

“THAT’S WHY I HAVE COMPLETE FAITH IN HARRY PAIRING WITH YOU TONIGHT!!”

”Please welcome Miss Ginny Weasley and Mr. Harry Potter…” Madam Hooch’s voice echoed.

There were sounds of suppressed applause from the fields. It was obvious many fans of Oliver Wood were disappointed.

Ron took a deep breath and lowered his voice substantially, “Gin, I’ll kill you if you’ll ever quote me on this but…

“You are truly pretty tonight… don’t let all your efforts go to waste…

“Always remember you are always beautiful. You will always be my beautiful little sister. I’m so proud of you… and…

“I love you,” he embraced her, with Hermione beaming proudly in the background. She had never seen Ron so mature, eloquent, and rising to the occasion for his little sister.

“Ronald Weasley, I’m proud of you… and I love you,” Hermione nodded to herself, noticing that Ginny’s confidence appeared to have been restored with her brother’s striking words of support.

Harry gently walked over to Ginny and gazed at her. He wanted to say so many things to her, but he was at a loss for words. He hoped he could let his eyes do the talking, to reassure her, tell her that he had memorized her routine, and that he would never let her down, exactly as Ron had said so clearly.

“Ginny, there’s nothing to lose. You might as well go for it,” Hermione pleaded and gazed at Harry. “I agree with Ron. I have full confidence in Harry too.”

Ginny could see herself reaching for his bowtie and adjusting it slightly. It was a strange feeling for her. Minutes ago, he was like a stranger to her, someone she hadn’t spoken to for months. Now, she would compete with him as a team, just like she had fantasized countless times before. She realized she would have to put her safety in his hands now. She must trust him again.

With a pure look of approval, Ron patted his best friend’s back as Hermione held back her tears and handed them their brooms. Harry nodded at Ron, seemingly telling him with his eyes that he would not let him down. He would make sure his little sister would be safe.

“Harry, Ginny, promise to perform… with your hearts!” said Hermione, pounding her chest just like what Ron did earlier. “Let your hearts guide you through the performance!”

“Good luck.”

Harry confidently took Ginny’s trembling hand, and she could immediately feel his warmth traveling throughout her body as they rushed towards the fields. Before they reached the gateway, he paused and turned to her, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. Standing handsomely against the dark skies with his broomstick, he gazed at her with his igniting green eyes, and they immediately reminded her of the pair of bright green stars that used to guard over her and made her feel safe and loved last year. No longer shaking, she could sense his quivering heartbeat through his sparkling gaze. She felt safe again, realizing that the green stars finally found their way back into her life, and their owner was holding her hand once more.

“Let’s get the show on the road!” they stormed to the center of the fields.

“Please drum up your applause to welcome the last couple for this evening…” Hooch was clapping wildly, trying to boost up the deflated crowd as the spotlight lit up and shone on them standing in the middle of the fields. “Miss Ginny Weasley and Mr. Harry Potter… performing to the song titled…”

Hooch smothered the parchment into her face; she was having trouble reading it.

“I’m really having problems with my eyes this evening!” she bellowed. “Okay! Got it! ‘Wind Beneath My Wings!”

“WHAT?” Harry grimaced to a startled Ginny as applause broke out and the music started to play. “That’s not the song you did with Oliver!”

“What are we gonna do?” Ginny was crimson red, her broom almost slipping off her grips as the tenuous confidence that Ron, Harry, and Hermione infused into her was starting to crumble away. Then she suddenly wondered how Harry knew what song she had used with Oliver.

“We’ll improvise!” he commanded and urged her to her broom. “Go! Do your routine exactly like you planned! I’ll know what to do! Go!”

Before she knew it, Ginny found herself kicking towards the dark skies, madly worrying if it would be more appropriate that the song be called, “An Accident Waiting In The Wings,” or “A Redhead In The Hospital Wing,” because not only was she with a partner she had never practiced with before, she was now performing to the wrong song. The fact that Harry told her to improvise was not too comforting either, but soon after, the sounds of cheering from the audience began to sooth her senses as they watched them floating in the misty air.

“It must have been cold there in my shadow,
to never have sunlight on your face.
You were content to let me shine, that's your way.
You always walked a step behind.”


Exactly like what Oliver used to do, Harry was rotating around her sharply as she was zigzagging higher and higher. To her amazement, every one of his swift positions was timing to hers crisply. Her confidence immediately shot up as she could see that he definitely knew what he was doing.

Copying what Oliver would do at this point, Harry sped ahead of her after the zigzagging section and fireworks sparkled from his wand, illuminating the entire skies. She followed behind him and sent fireworks to the opposite end while at the same time, pondering how he knew that this was the point for the fireworks. With their combined efforts, the skies were enchanted with all colors of dazzles as the audience applauded from below.


”So I was the one with all the glory,
while you were the one with all the strain.
A beautiful face without a name for so long.
A beautiful smile to hide the pain.”


The music and lyrics were easing into Ginny’s ears movingly in the background of harmonious applause as she flew near the speakers, with Harry at the opposite end. Without realizing it, tears started to flow out of her eyes, but she didn’t forget that the upcoming maneuver would be their first release move, where she would let go of her broom and allow herself to be in freefall.

Oliver and Ginny had trained this stunt countless times and she was capable of reaching the highest point before letting go. Because of Oliver’s gruesome training regimen, they were the only team to perform this stunt with so much height. However, she wasn’t performing with Oliver at this moment. She was performing with someone she had never practiced with before. However, this someone wasn’t just anyone, because it was Harry. This someone was her Harry. She had to trust him now. She had no choice. There could not be even an ounce of doubt. She must let go now.

Waving her wand to emit a beaming red light, she released herself from her broom as everyone gasped, anxiously waiting for Harry to catch her.

”Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.”


Ginny could hear the rocketing applause from the crowds when she landed seamlessly into Harry’s embrace. The cheers were especially explosive because she was merely inches off the ground when he caught her.

As they rippled gracefully into the air again, with her red dress flowing with the wind, Ginny could suddenly see some unexpected glittering shapes following them. They appeared to be beaming from Harry’s wand. As it turned out, he was emitting all kinds of green stars, multi-colored arches of rainbows, and golden curvy moons, and they lit up the dark skies powerfully. There was also a rather large red thumping shape following them swiftly.

”It might have appeared to go unnoticed,
but I've got it all here in my heart.
I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it.
I would be nothing without you.”


The volume from the applause and cheers were deafening as all the illuminating shapes were smiling and following them as they spun in circles and zoomed higher. As if they had a cartoon life of their own, she had never seen these types of illuminations being used by other competitors. Even Oliver was limiting himself to emitting beams of light and fireworks. Suddenly, it just occurred to her that the only way Harry was able to cast these illuminating charms and hold her in his arms at the same time was by riding the Firebolt without using his hands, and to her surprise, he was doing that exactly, a maneuver that Oliver had trouble performing consistently. She understood why the audience was so generous with their cheers. It was because Harry was performing this trick so smoothly, with her solidly in his arms, while at the same time, rotating speedily in circles and casting the illuminating charms with seemingly little effort.

”Did you ever know that you're my hero?
You're everything I wish I could be.
I could fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.”


She finally pulled her teary but impressive eyes away from the glittering shapes to look at Harry, and she just discovered that he had been gazing at her the entire time while she was in his arms as he was lighting up the skies with his glittering shapes, a choreography coming from his heart.

“Ready, Ginny?” Harry choked and raced to the top of the skies, holding her waist as the sparkling shapes followed them along.

”Did I ever tell you you're my hero?
You're everything, everything I wish I could be.
Oh, and I, I could fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.”


No longer with a broom, Ginny was at Harry’s mercy now.

“Yes,” she muttered.

“Please trust me. I’ll never let you down,” he gave his Firebolt a jolt of acceleration, blasted to the utmost top, and let her go.

”Fly, fly, fly high against the sky,
so high I almost touch the sky.”


Ginny closed her teary eyes as she waved her wand. This was the point in their program where she would engulf herself with layers of glitter that would surround her like multiple veils of shadowy colors as she floated in the air, waiting to be caught for the final time.

Ginny understood that this second release move was much more difficult to perform than the previous one, because with this one, the starting position of the man was at the utmost top of the horizons, unlike the previous one, where the man was at the opposite end of the fields. Not only must the man be able to dive towards the ground faster than the falling woman, he must also time himself perfectly to stop himself in order to catch the woman successfully.

Ginny must start her countdown now, beginning at ten, just like it was with Oliver.

“10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1.5…1.4…1.4…

“WHERE’S HARRY?” she gasped in panic as she could see the ground was rushing towards her and it was already past ten seconds.

Suddenly, Harry swept beneath her, her toes skimming the ground as both sped by. The applause was unbelievable. Everyone got up from their seats and watched them sail back to the top as Ginny and Harry combined their wands and emitted all kinds of light together.

“Thank you, thank you,
thank God for you, the wind beneath my wings.”


The extraordinary stars and curvy moons gradually vanished as the two of them slowly landed in the center of the fields to a standing ovation. For some reason, the thumping heart lingered in front of them and Harry didn’t know how to get rid of it. It only disappeared when the music faded. Judging from the level of the noise and excitement however, it was clear which team had stolen the evening thunder. It was over.

“Ginny, you… lost a shoe,” Harry grinned as they bowed to the explosive audience.

Ginny fumed between her smiling teeth, “No thanks to you! I could have died in that second release move! You could have caught me sooner! I was supposed to count ten seconds! You took more__”

“At least I caught you at the end. That’s what counts,” he whispered smugly.

“Oh yeah! Well, Harry, what were all those… shapes?” Ginny teased him back, trying very hard to not crack a laugh as they bowed to the audience on the other side.

Harry’s face was now redder than her dress, finally realizing how childish the floating smiling shapes were, the way they were dancing in front of his eyes before they disappeared at the end of the performance. He wanted to kick himself as he was asking himself why they had to be so embarrassingly huge and so blindingly bright, especially the red thumping heart, and why they were following them like a train when they were in the air.

“I… don’t know. I wasn’t paying attention. They… they just came off my wand… I only wanted… light… and…”

Suddenly, Harry was distracted by something from afar. It was the same feeling he had throughout the day, except this time it was one of peace and calm and not eeriness. The feeling was much farther this time, because it was coming from the spot where Sam brought him to watch Ginny and Oliver do their final practice yesterday evening. He thought he saw a pair of twinkling stars had just blinked at him from there.

“Harry, what is it?” asked Ginny, noticing he was smiling serenely and gazing appreciatively at something from afar. “We have to head backstage to await our scores.”

“Oh… nothing. Let’s… head back,” he suddenly scooped her off the ground.

“Harry, what are you doing?” she protested in his arms as the audience cheered some more.

“What does it look like, Ginny? I’m carrying you inside! How can you walk with one shoe?” he strolled towards the backstage, with her in his arms, taking one last brief gaze at the faraway spot before stepping inside.

”Thank you... for watching over us…”

Credits to the song, “Wind Beneath My Wings,” lyrics written by Tony Christie and performed by Bette Midler