Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Power The Dark Lord Knows Not by PatronyBologna

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 10






Good News, Bad News








Having survived the first three and a half weeks of school, life at Hogwarts had pounded out its rhythm into Harry’s mind. The constant beat of classes, an upbeat of homework, the background harmony of the D.A. and Quidditch all complemented the haunting melody that was Ginny Weasley. However the music sang in his head, the constant sanguineous groan of Voldemort and the prophecy could not be completely drowned out. Harry knew that Voldemort and Malfoy had curled up under the same rock, lying in wait for the perfect opportunity to strike and disrupt his momentarily ‘normal’ life once again. And then it happened. His scar gave a sharp throb, He was happy.



Breakfast that crisp late-September morning was eventful to say the least. Hermione slipped a Knut into the delivery owl’s pouch and unfurled her copy of the Daily Prophet when she gasped at the front-page headline.



“Look at this.” She said to her usual dining companions.



Ron leant in and his face contorted as he too read the headline. Harry bent over the table and pulled the newspaper flat. Upside down, he learned what the fuss was about.



Dementors Leave Azkaban, Ministry Struggles To Guard Inmates” Ginny read the cover story aloud. “Last night under the cover of darkness, the grisly guards of Azkaban, known as the Dementors, left the compound. Inside sources say that they have joined the ranks of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, leaving Ministry officials scrambling to keep the incarcerated criminals imprisoned. ‘Aurors have been dispatched to the island prison as soon as we learned of their departure. We are checking the manifests to make sure we can account for all inmates of Azkaban. The situation is under control.’ Edmond Farnesworth, Department head of Magical Law Enforcement, stated early this morning.



“Well, that’s a cheery way to start the day.” Ron said sarcastically as returned to his eggs and bacon.



Hermione and Ginny both looked up to Harry who, like Ron, had returned to his own plate.



“Harry, aren’t you worried?” Hermione exasperated, “They’ll come after you again.”



“I know; it’s just one more evil, deadly thing to watch out for.” Harry shrugged off before taking a bite of his egg covered toast.



“You already knew, didn’t you Harry?” Watching him chew, Ginny took her seat again next to Dean who listened intently on the conversation.



Harry nodded and swallowed. Before he could answer, Hermione fired off another question.



“Did you, did he... Are you having His visions again?” She whispered, not wanting to inform the whole of the Gryffindor table.



“No.” Harry took a sip of pumpkin juice before completely answering her question. “I felt that he was happy last night. I didn’t know why though,” Seeing a frown fall upon her face he added, “but it was just for a few seconds."



“What about your scar, did he hurt you again?” Hermione asked in a motherly fashion, wincing as her gaze moved to his forehead. “You should tell Dumbledore... I mean, what if...”



“Get a grip Hermione, he’s just fine.” Ron cut her off and tried to hand her a scone he had buttered for her. “He’s been through a lot worse, you know that. It’s not like things are going to get any better any time soon.”



Hermione opened her mouth again but Ron had plugged it nicely with the scone. She bit down and reluctantly chewed, giving up the fight. Harry squashed a grin as he watched his two best friends deal with each other and the latest war news.



Before Hermione could chastise him, another owl had landed in front of Ron. This one, however, was from the Ministry, his Father to be exact. Ron took the envelope from the stuffy looking owl and tore into it. Ginny craned her neck around Hermione to see her brother better. When he had finished reading, Ron handed it over to Harry.





Dear Ron,



I just wanted to let you know that the Dementors are out of Ministry control and have undoubtedly joined with Voldemort. I’m sure you’re already aware of what’s happening, the four of you (Harry, Hermione and Ginny) always seem to be further ahead than what we give you credit for. With that said, I want you to keep an eye on your sister. I know that you’ve always been protective of her, but we’ve received word that someone may be out to do her harm. I’m sure that it’s just a rumor, but with the events of this summer, we cannot be too careful. Dumbledore and the rest of the staff will be of assistance should you need them. Take care of yourself as well and congratulations on making Captain, your mother and I are so proud.



Love,

Dad






“Give it here, already.” Ginny reached across the table to take the letter from his hands,

“What did Dad have to say?” Harry quickly folded the parchment and gave it back to Ron, just missing her grasp. “It’s Ron’s, you should ask him.”



Ginny gave Harry an incredulous glance before turning sweetly to Ron. “Well, can I read the letter then, dear brother?”



“Nope, sorry... Strictly for us boys, no girls allowed.” He said as he tucked it way. “Besides, I think there’s one for you.” Ron nudged his head a wonky flying owl as it barely made its way into the Hall.



Landing with a splat on the platter of cold eggs, the Weasley family owl, Errol, flopped around as it tried to right its self, slipping on the broken yolks.



“Bloody bird!” Ron seethed as he wiped the bits of egg off his face with a spare napkin.



“Serves you right!” Hermione and Ginny chimed, both having their own issues with the lanky redhead.



Ginny picked up the flailing owl and released him from his obligation while Hermione stroked his dull gray feathers, calming the aged owl.



“Who’s it from?” Dean asked as Ginny began to read.



“My Mum.” She answered, not taking her eyes off the written lines.



“Oh, what does she have to say?” Dean leaned in closer in an attempt to read its contents.



Ron, Harry, and Hermione watched as she pulled the letter in close and away from Dean’s prying eyes. Harry had a good idea about what was written in the letter and, by the looks of it, so did Ron.



“She just says ‘hi’ and congratulations on making Chaser. She said that she doesn’t want me to spend too much time on Quidditch though, because O.W.L.s are important, blah, blah, blah. Nothing much.” Ginny put her letter away too as she eyed Ron and Harry suspiciously.



Feeling that they had sufficiently dug themselves in deep with the girls, Ron got up to leave the table and Harry followed suit.



“See you in class, Hermione.” Ron smiled sheepishly, knowing full well that he was in trouble and would get his come-uppance soon enough.



Making their way back to Gryffindor tower, he and Ron had an opportunity to discuss the events of the morning.



“Is it Malfoy?” Ron asked him outright, “How is it that Mum and Dad know?”



“Uh, I kinda told them, in a round about way.” Harry stated as they started up the steps. “Lupin did actually, through Dumbledore I think.”



“So you told Lupin, he told Dumbledore who told Mum and Dad?” Ron looked to Harry, following the trail.



“And the rest of the Order.” Harry completed the chain of events.



“I take it you know something that I don’t?” Ron asked as the reached the Fat Lady.

“Skiving Snackboxes.”

“You remember what I told you before, about Ginny and me?” Seeing Ron nod, Harry continued, “I heard what Malfoy said that day on the train, he’s got it in for her Ron - and Ginny knows it, she’s scared.”


“Oh.... What did he say exactly, Malfoy?” Ron asked wanting to know the full extent of his threat.

Harry closed the door behind them as they entered their dorm, “You could be useful to me’. Those were his exact words.” He sighed.



Ron grabbed his book bag from off his trunk and plopped down on top of it as he thought about the newest information. “How could Ginny be useful to him?” He said aloud, “What does Ginny have that he could want... to use?”



Harry didn’t answer; Ron would have to come to his own conclusions. He retrieved his book bag too, and headed for the door to leave. His hand was on the handle when Ron stopped him.



“Wait a minute, Harry, it’s you he’s after.” Ron’s face dawned comprehension. “Draco is in it with Voldemort, not that it surprises me, father like son. Maybe Voldemort himself has made him a Death Eater - I bet he even bears the Dark Mark. You think he’s using her to get to you, through Malfoy?”



“To tell you the truth, I hope not. Malfoy on his own would be hard enough to deal with if we had to, but Voldemort adds a...”



“But why would he use Ginny to get to you?” Ron had not come full circle. “Why does Voldemort connect you and Ginny together? He doesn’t know about, you know...?”



“No, I don’t think he knows about that. My best guess is that I saved her from the Chamber, he knows that I would do it again.” Harry leaned up against the door as he faced Ron, his book bag precariously hanging from his fingers.



“But you’d do that for any one of us.” Ron said as the wheels continued to turn. “Maybe Malfoy just picked her because she stood up to him?”



“Hermione and Neville stood up to him too.” Harry reasoned. “He’s always had it out for Hermione.” He noticed that Ron gave a slight shiver at her name.



“But he picked Ginny.” Ron swallowed hard. Harry knew that he didn’t want anyone to be the bait, especially those two.



They were roused from their spots when footsteps could be heard climbing up the stairs, “Either way, with Dobby and the mirrors you gave us, we can keep a better eye on things.” Ron shook his head with a wry smile as he reached Harry at the door. “That’s what you planned all along, isn’t it?”











............................................................









Thursday afternoon had arrived and the sixth year N.E.W.T. students would be attending their first class with the real Professor Moody as it happened to be a full moon the night before and Professor Lupin was otherwise disposed. The class settled down as the last toll of the bell was struck, a spine tingling hush swept through them as the students took their seats. On bated breath the moments passed, Professor Moody was no where to be seen. As time trudged on, the students began to murmur. After ten minutes of waiting the murmurs turned into exuberant conversations, students leaving their seats to horse around with their friends as most of them assumed that class had been unofficially canceled. Harry, Ron, and Hermione, however, knew better. They sat perfectly still, watching and waiting, they knew Mad-Eye would not disappoint.



It happened in a flash, the torches went out and the shutters slammed shut, extinguishing the remaining light. The entire class was stunned, unable to move from the positions they held mere seconds before. Harry could hear the faint ‘clink, clink’ coming up the aisle behind and to the left. It told him Moody was on the move but he was unable to visually confirm this as it was too dark and he too was stuck looking towards the front of the class.



Once he completed the journey coming before the now perfectly still and darkened class, he slowly raised his glowing wand, exposing his gnarled fingers from under the cloak and casting jagged shadows crossed his gruesome features. Harry could hear him mutter under his breath before his flicked his wand, releasing the spell that bound them and illuminating the chamber.



As grisly looking as ever, Moody wore a stone gray cloak that matched the darker streaks in his hair as it stuck out every which way from under his bowler cap. He continued to hold his position as the students took their seats and came to full attention, only speaking when all eyes were fixed on him.



“Professor Lupin had told me you were doing well... but not well enough!” He growled, “The most important rule in Defense Against the Dark Arts is... ” Moody lowered his head, scrutinizing the class with his ‘good’ eye.



“Constant Vigilance” They said together with a palatable fear, only Umbridge had made them answer in unison before.



Moody let out a cacophonous laugh as he took off his cap, tossing it onto the desk behind him, “Evidently you did learn something from that bloody imposter and that self-serving toad of a woman!”



Ron was the only one who felt comfortable enough to let a slight chuckle leave his lips, joining in with Professor Moody.



“Find it funny, do you Mr. Weasley?” Moody said to Ron acknowledging him with his magical eye.



“Uh, no sir, Professor.” Ron shrank a bit into his seat.



“Professor Lupin has been detained, as I’m sure you are all aware.” Moody walked around the desk and picked up a slip of parchment.



“Your Professor here has left me with instructions to continue educating you on, “ He paused as he read further down the parchment with his electric blue eye, “counter jinxes. Yes, well...” Moody let the note slip through his twisted fingers as it floated carelessly back onto the desk, his face contorted into what could be considered a smile, “I have other plans for you, I’m afraid.”



“How many of you have heard of the Patronus Charm?” Moody asked the class as most of the students’ hands raised timidly into the air.



“How many of you can produce a full Patronus or have at least tried.” Moody caught Harry’s eye with his own, “Besides Mr. Potter, here.”



Only a few hands remained, their owners fading slightly in their chairs as they expected a reprimand - all of them were members of last year’s D.A. Another serrated grin cut across the ex-Auror’s face.



With what seemed like an uneasiness in standing too long in one place, Mad-Eye started to pace throughout the classroom, weaving in and out between the students’ desks, the familiar ‘clink’ echoing with every other step against the stone walls.



“As of this morning, the Dementors have left Azkaban.” His voice was low and guttural, but every student had heard. “These rotten, foul, creatures have left the Ministry - they are now in league with the Voldemort and are under his control.”



Harry could hear gasps as Moody said his name. Unfazed by their reaction, he continued.

“The Patronus Charm is the only thing that stands between you and the discarded husk of a body they will leave you with.”



The substituting professor resumed his inspection of the class, letting the full extent seep further into their minds with every ‘clink’.



All eyes were on Moody as he stopped abruptly in front of a blonde young man, causing him to twitch slightly but nevertheless, he returned Mad-Eye’s malevolent gaze.



“I would hate to have them kiss you - Malfoy, isn’t it?” He said in a disturbed whisper as Draco merely blinked in agreement, losing what little color was left in his face. Harry knew that he wasn’t the only one reliving the ‘little white ferret’ incident of fourth year.



“They wouldn’t hesitate to kiss you all.” He spat as he spun around to address the rest of the class before roaring his number one rule, “Constant Vigilance!”











......................................................................













Harry, Ron, and Hermione walked past the tapestry of Barnabas the Barmy, summoning the Room of Requirement for the first D.A. meeting. When the smooth wooden door appeared, they entered to find the room exactly as they had left it before.



“What’s on schedule today, Professor Potter?” Ron asked over his shoulder while he and Hermione scanned a book they had pulled off the shelf.



Harry, not looking up from the table of Dark Detectors replied, “Uh... I thought we’d just review some things, that is if anyone shows up.”





No sooner did the words leave his lips than the door opened and fellow students started to file in. Ginny was in the lead, followed of course by Dean, Seamus, Neville, Luna and the Creevey brothers. Harry noticed through the growing crowd, that even Cho had returned with, of all people, Marietta Edgecombe, the Sneak. Harry caught himself frowning and tried his best to hide it, squashing his feelings of resentment towards the pair. However, it was easily replaced with a strange sort of amusement when he noticed a few timid first and second years huddled near the door, deciding whether or not they should be here as curiosity had led them this far.



Harry gave it a good ten minutes before he tried and failed miserably, forgetting that he was after all in the Room of Requirement, to settle the congregation. He remembered the way Moody had quieted his class earlier and thought that it was rather effective. ‘Too bad I can’t do that.’ He thought.



Seeing his friends’ frustration, Ron raised his thumb and forefinger to his mouth and blew an ear-piercing whistle. “Oi, have a seat!” He hollered, “Professor Potter here needs your attention.”



Once the crowd had taken their seats on the floor, Harry addressed them.



“I’m just Harry, okay.” Immediately clearing the air of any ‘Professor Potter’ business.



“Glad to see you all back,” He smiled at the returning D.A. “And I’m glad to see we have a few new members too.” This time directing his comments to the cluster of pre-teens hiding themselves in the back of the room.



Harry was well into his spiel on what his plans were for the first few meetings of the year when the door opened and in walked a group of eight Slytherins, causing him to lose his concentration. All heads turned and watched the group as they shuffled inside the room. A towering, raven-haired, seventh year boy called Staurn Thorkildsen, who Harry had never spoken to before, stepped out of the knot towards him.



Staurn’s voice was deep, and told of his uncertainty. “Is this the D.A. meeting?”



“Uh, yeah, it is.” Harry replied, as he stood blankly before the group, unsure of what to make of the new and unexpected arrivals.



“Is anyone allowed to join?” Staurn looked Harry straight in the face, but instead of the brazenness that usually accompanied Slytherin remarks, it was reflective.



Harry turned to Ron and Hermione for support. Ron just shrugged - a shrug that told him he was as dumbfounded and leery as he was. Hermione, on the other hand, nudged him on with a nod of her bushy head. Before he turned to address Staurn and the rest of the Slytherins, Harry caught Ginny’s eye, which smiled softly, giving him her approval and deciding vote.



“Yeah, have seat.... if you want.” Harry finally answered back.



They settled down on the floor to the rise of incoherent, whispered skepticism.



“Erm- like I was saying, we’ll start off with a few hexes and jinxes. Those of you who haven’t been with us before, you can have a seat over there and I’ll get to you in a minute.” After Harry had ended his speech, the students followed their instructions.



“Let’s start you guys off with the Impedimenta, Immobulus, and other jinxes and body binds, the pillows are in the corner... I’ll be back in a while.” Harry left their half of the room and headed, with Ron and Hermione in tow to the queue of newcomers.



“Be nice Ron.” Harry heard Hermione say behind him, Ron just grunted in return.



“Okay, well... let’s see.” Harry was at a loss on how to proceed as he sized up the different levels of ability.



“How about we introduce ourselves, Harry?” Hermione had come to his rescue.



“Sure, this is Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley, I’m Harry Potter.” He felt a bit odd introducing himself, more often than not no introduction was needed as everyone looked to his forehead for his identity. “Does anyone have any questions to start off with?”



“What’s the D.A. about anyway?” A Slytherin girl with dark chocolate cork-screw hair and matching eyes asked, she looked like she was a fourth year to Harry.



“Uh, well... We started this last year when Umbridge wouldn’t let us practice any magic.” He answered, not sure if it was sufficient when the girl who asked the question in the first place looked unsatisfied. “We wanted to be able to do what we learned.”



“And then some extras.” Hermione added with a smirk, holding up the book her and Ron had been reading.



“So we get to do all sorts of cool magic spells and stuff like that?” A scrawny, Ravenclaw second year asked before turning to the rest of his group. “Harry can do the coolest things. Did you hear about the time-“



“No, you don’t get to do all sorts of cool magic spells and stuff like that.” Ron interrupted, slightly mocking his enthusiasm.



“We can help teach you defensive magic, but you have to know the basics first.” Hermione jumped in, trying to salvage what was left of eager boy.



“Why have the D.A. now?” Staurn asked Harry outright. “Professor Umbridge is gone and Professor Lupin lets us practice.”



“Because, uh... because there’s...” Harry stammered, he wanted to say ‘because Voldemort and his Death Eaters won’t think twice before killing you.’



“For the last time, Voldemort is back.” It was Ron who spoke, his countenance was deadly serious.



“Alright, so we know he’s back.” Staurn acknowledged with a slight cringe.



“But we’re safe here in Hogwarts.” One of his housemates stated.



“You’re not.” Harry said plainly.



“The Dementors came after me here, a Death Eater taught us under the disguise of Professor Moody and...” He felt a lump grow in his throat as he thought of what he would say next. “Cedric and I were taken from the maze during the Tri-Wizard Tournament. In fact, Voldemort has been at Hogwarts himself during my first year. He possessed Professor Quirrell, my first Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.”



“But Hogwarts; a History says,” Hermione had nearly fallen over in disbelief if it hadn’t been for Ron’s snort that jolted her back to reality when the same Slytherin girl started. “that Hogwarts is protected by many wards and spells that are not easily broken.”



“Nothing is infallible.” Harry thought back to the protection that had failed his parents and the lasting protection his mother had given him, hoping that his mother’s sacrifice was indeed infallible.



“He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named isn’t just going to waltz right in here, though.” Another Slytherin boy from the back of the group finally made an appearance, “Dumbledore wouldn’t let him.”



“Of course Dumbledore is not going to let him.” Ron returned with a rise of anger, “Dumbledore is the only one he’s afraid of and for good reason, but it hasn’t stopped him before. Didn’t you listen to a word Harry’s said?”



“It’s okay Ron,” Harry took the wind out of his sails before things blew out of hand. “Look, the point is we’re here to learn how to defend ourselves if we’re ever in a situation where we need to.”



Staurn looked directly at Harry, “Well then, I’m in.”



“Me too!” The chocolate-haired girl raised her hand, “Count me in.”



After that, the rest of the newcomers had asked to officially join the D.A. All Harry could do was let them; after all, they had been warned. Since the time was nearing an end, Harry called over to the practicing D.A. members. Ginny had been looking his direction, which he suspected she had been the entire time, and understood that he wanted to get everyone together again. Ginny got the group to stop hexing each other long enough to tell them to have a seat as Harry, Ron, Hermione, and the twelve new members stood in front of them.



“We have a few new members, I’d like you all to welcome them.” He added, seeing the scrutinizing looks they were giving him and particularly the Slytherin members. “Uh, this is... Staurn...” Harry turned to him.



“Thorkildsen.” He finished for Harry.



“Ivy Hattersat” Hermione paid particular attention to the girl who had obviously read Hogwarts; A History.



“Alun Embleton” The next Slytherin introduced himself; he was the one who Harry remembered voiced confidence in their Headmaster.



“Gladis Worksworth” A Slytherin girl said, flicking her long golden yellow hair off her shoulder.



A squat, dark skinned boy stepped forward from the Slytherins “Beauford, but call me Ford, Kiblinger.”



“Robert Stannersburn.” The over-excited boy waived to the group. “I’m in Ravenclaw!”



“Judith Weatherley, Ravenclaw.” The young girl said to her shuffling feet, but looked up with a shy smile before hiding behind Robert’s tiny frame.



After everyone was introduced, Harry dismissed the meeting. When the room was clear of everyone except for Neville, Luna, Ginny, Ron and Hermione, Harry held their own little meeting.



“So, what do you think about our new members?” He asked, chucking a cushion back to the corner.


“I don’t know, Harry, they seemed alright to me.” Hermione said, tucking a frizzy loose strand behind her ear after she lobbed another pillow on Ron’s stack. “That Ivy girl is a prefect.”



“So’s Malfoy.” Ron said skeptically, picking up the tower of pillows, “Yeah, they’re not like the Slytherins we’ve been acquainted with, but I’m not sure if I trust them.”



“Just because they’re in Slytherin house, doesn’t automatically make them evil, Ronald. It’s just that they’re easily brainwashed by the Turslcants that live in the dungeons.” Luna batted with transcendental conviction.



Neville shrugged when the four looked to him for an explanation, as Luna was still momentarily lost in her own world. “Well, they came here and didn’t cause any trouble. I suppose that’s a start.”



“I, for one, am glad they came. It had to take guts to come in here and want to join when no other Slytherin has.” Ginny said, magically dropping the last pillow in its place.



“They were sincere, weren’t they?” Harry shrugged as he held the door open for Luna and Neville.



“I sure hope so.” Ron sighed, walking back into the hall with Hermione and Ginny. “It’s either good news or bad news.”



The polished door closed behind Harry with a muffled thud before disappearing into the stone corridor. He wondered if he had done the right thing, now that the opportunity to change his mind was gone.






A/N: Wow! I truly have the fastest Beta in the World, thanks Whizzbee!! Another chapter down, sorry it’s kinda ‘boring’ but I promise the next one, Slightly Different will be, well..... (insert evil laugh) Thanks for the reads and reviews....