Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Power The Dark Lord Knows Not by PatronyBologna

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 13





Awakenings








Shhh, I think he’s coming around.”


Harry heard Ron’s hushed voice as he tried to open his heavy eyes. A dim light breached through the darkness, fluttering under their weight, he let them slip closed again. His head felt like it had been cleaved in two by a blunt object.

“Harry?” Hermione’s voice floated into his ear before he heard her rustling footsteps faded away.

Taking a deep draw of cool, moist air, he forced his eyes open. At first everything was wildly unfocused as disjointed splotches of color moved closer to him, squinting a bit, he could make out shape of his best mate, Ron, sitting at his bedside.

“I’m putting your glasses in your hand, mate.” He told him, feeling the cool rims on his palm.

He wanted to close his fingers around them but his body would not listen to his mind. Trying again, his fingers slowly curled but his arm didn’t even move off blanket.

“Would you mind?” Harry was surprised to hear his strange, raspy voice.

“Na, would you like to sit up too?” Ron replied, then added with reverent amusement, “I could fluff your pillows if you’d like.”

“Yeah, that would be great.” He croaked at the oddity at being pampered by Ron.

He felt his friend remove the glasses from his hand and place them on his face, tucking the ends over his ears to ensure their proper placement.

“Alright, I’m gonna lift your shoulders up and jam a few pillows underneath, you tell me if I hurt you, okay?” Ron asked nervously.

Harry blinked at the now clearly visible Ron.

“Suppose we better do it before Hermione comes back with Madam Pomfrey, she might tell you no.” Ron chuckled quietly as he stood up over Harry. Grabbing his shoulders, he gently pulled him up.

“Errr” Using what little strength he had to help himself, Harry groaned as his body arched forward.

“Almost there.” Ron positioned another pillow behind him before easing him back down.

Harry found himself yet again a patient in the Hogwarts infirmary. It was dark and he could still hear the smattering rain against the tall gothic windows. A few torches and the small candelabras next to the patient beds, dimly lit the ward, it’s light reflecting eerily off the stone walls.

“Put on a happy face, mate. They’re coming back.” Ron smiled faintly as the four figures came into view.

“Mr. Potter,” Madam Pomfrey was the first to speak, “Tell me, how are you feeling?”

“I’ve been better.” He sputtered. Harry tried to sit up a little more, but found he lacked the energy. “Sore, really sore.”

“I would think so.” The school Healer walked to the head of his bed and propped another pillow beneath him. Harry did his best not to flinch as his muscles seized at the movement. “Is that better?”

“Thanks.”

“I’ll bring you a sleeping draught in a few minutes.” She told Harry before turning to the rest of the crowd, “When I come back, you all will need to leave.” She sighed, “Of course I know better than to tell you what to do Headmaster.”

“Thank you, Poppy.” Dumbledore nodded gratefully before she shuffled away.

“Harry, are you alright?” Hermoine asked as she softly took a seat at the foot of the bed.

“How’s Ginny? Where is she?” He suddenly remembered the scene in the alley.

“She’s still asleep at the other end of the wing, Harry.” Dumbledore assured him.

“Mum, Dad, Fred and George are with her now.” Ron confirmed.

“What’s wrong with her?” His voice was still raspy, but gaining in strength.

“We’re not sure.” Lupin stepped closer in front of his bed, the torchlight illuminating his tired, troubled features. “Madam Pomfrey has tended to her injuries, but she has not woken up yet.”

“How long has it been?” Harry asked, fearful of an unpleasant answer.

Hermione smoothed a fold in the top blanket and replied. “It’s a quarter after midnight.”

“How did I get here? What happened after- after...” Harry thought back as far as he could before waking just a few minutes ago. The last thing he could vividly recall was talking with the three of them; Ron, Hermione and Lupin in the alley.

“You mean you don’t remember?” Harry could hear the concern in Lupin’s voice.

“What is the last memory you can summon, Harry?” It was Dumbledore who prompted the question over his half-moon spectacles. He was standing behind Ron on his left side and looked as if he’d had a longer day than usual, his maroon velvet robes draped awkwardly off his shoulders.

“Voldemort.” A stab of anger jolted through him, causing his hands to flinch, grabbing fistfuls of the blanket as his memory came searing back.

“And nothing after that?” His guardian asked, clearly aware of Harry’s movement.

“No, nothing.” The void in his mind caused him to ask, “Why, what happened?”

“We were hoping you could’ve told us, mate.” Ron shrugged at the irony. “You started screaming and then went into fit, thrashing around a stuff. Lupin here,” he nodded over to the Professor, “had to immobilize you before you hurt yourself. Somehow you broke free a couple of times before you went unconscious.”

“You gave us all a good scare that’s for sure.” Lupin added, “We were afraid that Voldemort was destroying your mind.”

“But I shut him out.” Harry tried to explain to them, “He tried to get in, but I fought back.”

“How far did he get, Harry, before you were able to put up your defensives?” Dumbledore asked, trying to gauge how successful he had been and whether or not any sensitive information was divulged.

“I don’t know, I thought he left rather quickly, but apparently not.” Harry searched his mind again. “He was afraid... angry and unnerved about something, then I just let my mind go blank.”

“Do you know why?” His Headmaster asked again. “What was he fearful of?”

“I’d like to think that he was scared of me,” Harry gave a wry smile, “but I seriously doubt it.”

“I’d be scared of you, mate. Especially after what we’ve seen today.” Ron chuckled uncomfortably, “Really scared.”

Harry looked to Dumbledore, he knew he was processing this new information. If anyone could figure it out, it was him. Everyone was silent, waiting for him to speak.

Dumbledore pulled slightly on his long, sliver beard before he spoke; his old, blue eyes sparked to life. “This is very interesting indeed.” He said before going silent once again.

“Where’s Dean, anyway. He’s the one that matters right now.” Harry’s demeanor changed as he set his mind back to Ginny and her attacker.

“Shouldn’t we start at the beginning, Headmaster.” The silky, loathing eloquence precede the Potion Master as he came into view, his robes curling around him as he stopped abruptly at his bedside.

“As we should, Severus.” Dumbledore agreed, “Would you mind informing Molly, Arthur and their sons Fred and George, that Harry has regain consciousness and we will discussing what has occurred today if they would care to join us.”

“Certainly.” Snape nodded at his request, his greasy hair falling in front of his face only stopping on his hooked nose, before he slipped back into the casted shadows.

“Who’s going to stay with Ginny?” Harry asked, it was more of a request than a question.

“She’ll be alright.” Lupin edged around the right side of his bed, just behind Hermione.

“How do you know? Someone should stay with her.” He didn’t understand why everyone was so willing to leave her alone.

“Harry, it’s best for the both of you if you stay calm.” Dumbledore’s eyes soothed him more than his words.

“You know Mum.” Ron said, adding to his pacification. “Harry, she won’t leave her until she know she’s alright.”



Soon enough the Weasleys had arrived at his bedside. Mrs. Weasley came straight to the head of his bed nearly knocking a contemplative Lupin over as she passed. She made to hug him, but Ron spoke up before she could reach him. “Mum, he’s really sore.”

“Oh yes, of course you are dear.” She sniffed, lightly brushing Harry dark hair off his forehead, unintentionally revealing his heated scar. She smiled wearily back, her cheeks flush and damp with newly shed tears, then she took the remaining visitor chair at the head of his bed, opposite Ron.

“Harry.” The twins echoed each other, taking up positions on the empty bed to his right. They lacked their usual playful air, taking on a more serious tone.

“How is she, Mrs. Weasley?” Harry painfully coughed, needing to hear the latest on Ginny’s condition.

“Just fine, she’s resting.” Mr. Weasley stood behind her, his arms resting on her shoulders as his wife regained her emotions.

“Well I’m finished resting,” All heads turned to look where the voice had come from, somewhere to the right of his bed. “And if you wouldn’t mind, I’d like to see Harry now.”

Dressed in a simple, white cotton nightgown, one of many the school had on hand, Ginny appeared next to Lupin and took hold of his arm to steady her balance.

“Oh baby!” Mrs. Weasley left her seat again and pulled her into her arms. “You’re awake.”

“I’m okay Mum.” Ginny weakly hugged her back, her father now joining in. “But I’d like to sit down.”

“Yes, of course.” Mrs. Weasley continued to hold her daughter.

“Here Ginny, take my seat.” Hermione got up off of the foot of the bed and made her way around to Ron.

“Ginny.”

She lifted her head off of her mother’s shoulder, turning in what seemed like in slow motion, her eyes met his.

“Harry.” Ginny returned, with help from her father, she took up Hermione’s vacant spot on his bed.

He didn’t even have to think about it, he couldn’t help it. Something was connecting them, binding them as they stared at each other. No more words were necessary as he felt the warmth of Ginny start to fill him, relaxing him and easing his pain.

Uh-hum” Ron whispered, “Harry? Uh, look at me mate.”

“What?” He asked, forcing his attention away from Ginny, lifting the unrestrained reunion.

“Uh...” Ron replied uncertainly, not expecting to get his attention.

“I think we should get started before Madam Pomfrey returns.” Dumbledore filled in the awkward gap. “As Professor Snape has suggested, let’s start at the beginning.”

“We were going to Hogsmeade.” Ron took it upon himself, relieving Harry and Ginny of the burden. “Dean seemed a bit...uh, off the mark, if you know what I mean.”

“How did you determine that, Mr. Weasley?” Snape coolly asked.

“I dunno, he was just different. He looked like he was up to no good, with Ginny that is.” Ron shrugged, he was having a hard time answering the question. “Harry saw it too, so we convinced Hermione that we should follow them. Fred and George were more than willing of course.”

“Harry told us that they; Ginny, Dean, Seamus and Lavender, went into the Three Broomsticks, so we followed.” Hermione continued where Ron had left off.

“I found them at a table in the back corner, the place was packed. I invited ourselves to join them, to which Ginny was less than pleased.” George accepted his part. “I even bought them all a round of drinks to make up for it though.”

“We stayed for awhile, but then we decided- I decided that it was time to leave.” Hermione barely finished before Fred interjected.

“I gave them all a sample of our newest creation. It was harmless, really Mum.” Fred smartly headed her off before she could get started. “Dean’s went a little haywire though, we haven’t figured out why yet, must have been a bad batch or something... Anyway, Ginny got upset and kicked us out.”

“I thought everything was fine, that Ron and I were just seeing things.” Harry made his appearance in retelling the events of the day. “I should have known, Ginny. I’m sorry.”

“Harry, what happened next.” Dumbledore wouldn’t let him linger on his apology and guilt.

“I asked Fred if we could go to the apothecary a few blocks away, on Ovingham.” Harry sputtered out, his voice growing scratchier the more he talked. “I needed a few supplies.”

Mrs. Weasley poured him a glass of water from his bedside table and tried to hand it to him. Harry was barely able to lift his arm, forcing his fingers to wrap around the cool glass as she held it.

“Let me help you with that.” She kindly said, bringing his hand and the glass to his mouth. He felt embarrassed as everyone watched him, but the water soothed his aching throat.

“There you go.” She whispered, slowly pulling the glass off his lips and out of his hands.

Fred continued the story, “After the apothecary, he said he wanted to go to Norham and Lowicks clear across town on Melkridge lane. After a few blocks, I stopped him.”

“Why did you stop him, Fred?” Mr. Weasley asked his son, curious of his reasoning.

“He, uh... seemed a bit too determined to make it to a store that closed over six months ago.” Fred looked at Harry skeptically, “But that’s when it happened.”

“Exactly what happened?” Lupin asked, leaning in closer, his hands grabbing hold of the foot rails of Harry’s bed.

“Well, his eyes glazed over and he was pulling at his throat.” Fred’s demeanor changed as he continued to describe what Harry was doing. “It was like he was being choked by someone. I pulled out my wand, checking for any unfriendlies but the rain was coming down so hard, it was difficult to see more than a block’s distance. Anyway, he collapsed to the ground so I picked him back up.”

“Ginny, she needed my help.” Harry looked to Dumbledore and Lupin, he knew that they would understand exactly what he was saying.

“I took off back towards High Street and the Three Broomsticks, it was the last place we saw her.” Harry again looked to Ginny who had kept silent. “I, uh... I knew that she wasn’t there, but it was the only starting point I had.”

“I caught up with Harry, he told me to get the others, so I sent the signal and found George, Ron and Hermione. They were up the street at Schrivenshafts.” Fred shook his head, slightly disappointed that he didn’t do more. “Harry discovered where Ginny was and took off, so when the others met me in the street, we ran over to the alley to help. We didn’t know what was happening, if there were Death Eaters or not.”

Harry looked to Ginny, making sure that she was okay before he continued. “Dean had Ginny pinned against the wall, his wand pointed at her chest while his free hand grasped her throat.”

He could feel her raw emotions, the fear returning at the memory. Mrs. Weasley noticed as well and stood beside her daughter to comfort her. Ron shifted uneasily in his chair and took Hermoine’s hand. The twin’s soberness thickened the already tense atmosphere. Harry looked to Dumbledore and then Lupin, the latter silently encouraged him on.

“I disarmed him, took him by surprise; he released her and she fell to the ground. Dean tried to hide behind a crate, but I took care of that too. As he ran, I hit him with a well place ‘Petrificus Totalus’. He fell face first into a puddle.” Harry felt like now was not a good time to admit his urge to leave him there to drown. “I kicked him over, tied him up with my wand and pinned him down. I’m not too sure what happened after that.”

“This is where I come in Harry.” Lupin nodded, “Moody and I arrived just after you destroyed the crate.”

“That’s when we entered the alley too.” Hermione spoke very softly. “We were watching from the corner, when Professor Lupin and Professor Moody appeared in front of us.”

“We couldn’t find any Death Eaters or other would-be assassins to do Voldemort’s bidding.” Fred shrugged, “I went to Ginny to help her while the others kept a look out, just in case, but by then Harry had taken care of Dean.”

“I had to convince you to get off him, Harry. Do you remember me talking to you?” Lupin asked.

“No, I just remember seeing Ginny sitting against the wall.” Harry thought back, “I remember seeing... Fred or George...” Closing his eyes to see the memory better, “it was Fred, he was wrapping her hand in a bandage, but it took me a minute to figure that much out.”

“You were kneeling there next to me and I think I hugged you,” Ginny whispered hoarsely, “that’s the last thing I remember.”

“Yeah, I don’t remember much after that either, Fred was carrying Ginny in his arms before the three of you left.” Harry turned his head slightly towards the twins. “Then Ron and Hermione picked me up, I remember seeing you then Lupin... we were talking about Dean I think”

He tentatively reached up to his forehead, softy tracing the tender scar with his fingertip. “Then Voldemort happened and that’s it. We’re back to me waking up here and feeling like I’ve been ran over a few times by the Knight Bus.”

“So what happened with Dean? Where is he?” Harry wanted to get to the point.

“Mr. Thomas is not the issue here.” Snape was blunt, “Haven’t you figured it out yet, Potter?”

Harry looked to Ginny then to Lupin and ended on Dumbledore. “That wasn’t Dean, was it?”

“No, I’m afraid it was not.” Dumbledore confirmed.

Harry knew instantly who it was, somehow he had known all along, he just didn’t want to believe it. Malfoy had threatened her and had made good on it, he had failed to stop him and he failed her.

“Malfoy” Ron snarled. “It was Malfoy.”

“The Polyjuice Potion we’ve been learning in class.” Hermoine grasped the events that led up to this, “Why did you teach us- teach him- how to brew it Professor?” She pointedly asked Snape.

“Not all things are as overlooked as you think, Miss. Granger. I was not as careless in my preparations as you presume me to be.” Snape stated as civilly as he possibly could.

“So this is your fault.” Harry seethed, if he was strong enough to launch himself at the Potions Master, he would have. “You knew this was going to happen and you didn’t stop it!”

“Harry, will you please calm down?” Lupin steady voice reached him. “There’s more, don’t jump to conclusions too quickly, at least hear him out.”

Ginny’s quivering voice gained everyone’s attention as she spoke; taking a deep breath, she continued blankly, in an effort to lessen the pain.

“Dean- I mean Malfoy, and I split up from Lavender and Seamus for a minute. He said we’d meet them at Honeydukes. We ran through the rain, I wasn’t really paying attention to where we were going, he was pulling me along.”

“Ginny, you don’t have to do this.” Harry told her, knowing how hard it was going to be. She smiled faintly, but being the Weasley and Gryffindor that she was, Ginny bravely endeavored on.

“We ducked into the alley... he kissed me.” Ginny cringed, “then his voice was odd as he started talking about how he was going to get Potter, how he was going to be rewarded.”

“It’s okay, dear.” Mrs. Weasley’s hand brushed her daughter’s head as a tear slid down Ginny’s face.

“He said that his father would be proud, getting the youngest Weasley and Potter all in the same day.” Ginny started to cry, “I’m sorry I didn’t listen to you, I’m so sorry.”

Mrs. Weasley now sat on his bed with Ginny, pulling her into a soothing embrace. Harry tried his best to be strong for the both of them, but he too struggled to keep his tears at bay, biting his lower lip to combat the burning sensation in his eyes.

“That’s when I knew that it was Malfoy.” Ginny sniffed, steeling herself with anger. “I reached for my wand, but he jerked it out of my hands, tossing it aside, then he choked me. I tried to fight him off, but I started to feel dizzy. Then I remembered the mirror Harry had given me, I slid my hand into my pocket while he was going on about how the Dark Lord would praise him above his father. He must have noticed what I was fishing for something, so I closed my fist as tight as I could around it, so he wouldn’t know what I had. He threw me to the ground, letting go of my throat. I got up as fast as I could, but it was slippery.”

“He watched me struggle, flicking his wand, as I stood back up. I was hit with the Jelly Legs jinx and fell back to the ground, then he dragged me back over to the wall and lifted me up, pinning me against it. He wanted me to call for you, Harry. He said you would come... that his Father had said that Voldemort knew you would come for Sirius, so you would come for me too.”

A small, defiant fire lit in Ginny’s eyes. “I told him that I wouldn’t do it, he couldn’t make me... before he choked me again.” Ginny’s fingers caressed her throat, remembering his hands wrapped tightly around them. “He said that it didn’t matter, he’d find you sooner or later. That’s when Harry showed up. He wasn’t expecting you just then, he wasn’t ready.”

“Thank you Miss Weasley, for telling us what happened. I know that it was difficult.” Dumbledore’s eyes were kind towards her, Ginny had done what she needed to.

“So where is Draco now?” Mr. Weasley asked Dumbledore. “The Ministry doesn’t have him in their possession, do they?”

“No, he will remain here at Hogwarts.” Dumbledore firmly stated, “We will keep him here.”

“Why the bloody hell is he staying here!” Ron roared, “You know what tried to do!”

“Mr. Weasley, I understand that you have every right to be angry.” Dumbledore addressed him quietly before turning to Professor Snape. “Would you please tell the rest of the story, Severus?”

“This wasn’t planned by the Dark Lord, it was all Draco’s doing. Narcissa and especially Lucius, were unaware of his actions.” Snape smoothly announced, “He is well taken care of, I assure you.”

“You’re not going to let him off are you?” Harry asked in Dumbledore in shocked disbelief, “He’s not going to be punished, not at all, for what he did!”

“He’ll be punished enough and with what you did to him, he’s lucky to be alive.” Snape sneered. “He’s resting at the moment and I assure you he will not bother you, Miss Weasley, or anyone else for that matter.”

“How can you be so sure?” Mrs. Weasley snapped at the supposedly reformed Death Eater.

“It seems that young Mr. Malfoy has had a hard summer. He was attempting to get into his father’s good graces by capturing Miss Weasley and Mr. Potter, redemption if you will.” Snape seemed to take in an unhealthy pleasure as one of his eyebrows cocked, “I have enlightened him on the ways of the Dark Lord, he will not be following in his father’s footsteps.” Then with a particularly twisted smile he added, “He doesn’t have the stomach for it I’m afraid.”

Harry could not believe what he was hearing and by the look on most of the faces around him, he wasn’t the only one.

“What about Dean, the real one?” Ginny asked, resting back against her mum.

“He’s fine, Miss Weasley. Dobby found him sleeping in a broom cupboard on the second floor. He immediately notified myself and Professor McGonagal of his whereabouts. It was shortly after that I received Fred’s signal, Lupin and Moody took a portkey to Hogsmeade. It was then that Professor Snape and I had realized what had happened.”

“But Lavender and Seamus, they were with him- Malfoy, what about them?” Hermione asked.

“I’ve modified Mr. Thomas’s memories.” Dumbledore calmly explained, “No one will be any wiser of the situation except for those of us here.”

“What about the Ministry? They would have sent out notices of Improper Use of Magic.” Harry knew that he would be, if he hadn’t already, be receiving yet another warning and or disciplinary action.

“I can take care of that.” Mr. Weasley spoke up.

“It’s already been handled, Arthur, but thank you.” Dumbledore addressed him.

“I still don’t understand why Malfoy isn’t being punished.” Ron didn’t bother hiding his anger and confusion. Harry was wondering the same thing.

“Draco, though he has done a terrible thing in attacking Miss Weasley for the sole purpose of giving her and Harry to Voldemort, he can help us.” Dumbledore began. “I have contacted his mother, she will be arriving tomorrow to discuss the arrangements. Right now I can only ask you to trust me, although I know in this situation it will be very difficult thing to do.”

Harry watched Dumbledore as he connected with everyone in the room. Most of them gave him their silent, reluctant approval.

“Miss Weasley, I assure you that Draco Malfoy will no longer be a threat to you, you have my solemn word.” Dumbledore vowed to Ginny, reaching his hand out to hers.

At first she hesitated, but accepted it nonetheless. “I trust you, Professor.”

“Very well, then.” Dumbledore clasped his other hand over the top of hers before letting go completely.

“If I could first have a word with Harry and Ginny in private please, I will discuss matters further with all of you later, it’s getting late and we all, especially these two, need our rest.” The Headmaster asked of Lupin and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

Snape left immediately, while the others stayed around a minute to say their good-byes.

“We’ll visit you tomorrow.” Hermione said, Harry could tell that it had been a hard day for her as well.

“Yeah, we’ll sneak you up something for breakfast.” Ron whispered, careful not to be heard.

“Good night, dear.” Mrs. Weasley kissed Ginny one last time turning to him. “Thank you, Harry.”

“See you later.” Fred nodded.

“You know, I think your more trouble than your worth, mate.” George smiled as he got up to leave.

“Not as much as you two.” Harry returned the favor.

“I’ll see you first thing tomorrow, Harry.” Lupin sat momentarily beside his bed and set a felt wrapped item on the nightstand that he had pulled out from his cloak.

“If you need me before then, you know how to find me.” The Marauder faintly smiled as he stood up to take his leave.

“Thanks” Harry whispered as he gazed at the last living connection he had to his father, truly grateful for his kindness and understanding.

His guardian nodded and slipped his hands into his trouser pockets before he turned and walked away, glancing back only once before disappearing into the shadows.



When everyone had cleared out, Dumbledore conjured up a nice, cushy chair for himself before addressing them.

“Harry, Ginny.” He spoke softly. “I believe that you have made progress in your connection. Am I right?”

“Er, yeah. You could say that.” He caught Ginny’s eye and smiled briefly before returning to Dumbledore.

“How did you accomplish this?” He asked them, mainly focusing on Harry.

“I don’t know.” Harry shrugged, “It just happened.”

“I don’t know either, Professor.” Ginny agreed, “I can uh... feel him in my head, if that makes any sense.”

“It makes perfect sense, Miss Weasley.” Dumbledore propped his elbows on the padded arms of his chair, resting his chin on his joined hands. “Harry, can you tell when Miss. Weasley is connected to you?”

“Yes, but only just recently has it worked both ways.” Harry admitted before clarifying, “She can, eh- connect with me too. That’s how I felt her the first time, I just knew.”

“From what you’ve told me this evening and from what others have recounted, I understand that you truly are unaware of what happened between you two in the alley.”

Harry and Ginny exchanged puzzled glances to each other then turned back to Dumbledore.

“I want both of you to close your eyes and think back to when you embraced.”

Following his instructions, they did what he asked.

“Harry, I want you to tell me how you felt.” He asked him calmly, almost extracting the answer himself.

“I wanted to help her, to take away her pain.” Harry relived the moment as best as he could remember it, the warmth began to grow again. “I gave her my strength.”

“And Miss Weasley, what did you feel.”

“I felt him fill me, like we were... together somehow.” Ginny whispered back. “I felt better, I wasn’t afraid... it was... warm.”

“Slowly now, very slowly, I want you to open your eyes.” Dumbledore’s voice was distant in Harry’s ears, but obeyed his request.

He cracked open his eyes; a marvelous, glorious white light surrounded him and Ginny. He could see her looking back at him just as amazed as he was by the brilliance that enfolded the two of them and the comforting warmth is gave off.

“Harry.” Dumbledore’s voice this time was stronger, “Harry, Ginny. You need to look away now. Focus your attention on my voice.”

It was difficult for both him and Ginny, but they complied and broke the connection as he instructed. The light fading as the cool night air seeped its way back in.

Ginny couldn’t help the smile on her face. “What was that?” She asked the Headmaster, “It was beautiful.”

“That, Miss Weasley, is very powerful magic.” He replied, a wide smile breaking across his face.

“But, how did we do that?” Harry asked, “I can even get out of bed.”

“I’m guessing that between your gift to Miss. Weasley and the subsequent intrusion by Tom, you’ve exhausted yourself.” Dumbledore looked to him, “It originated from Miss Weasley until it reached you, Harry. I’m assuming that you feel better now?”

“Yeah, I do.” Harry tried to hide the smile, but failed miserably when he noticed Ginny’s.

“Both of you need your rest now, we’ll discuss things further when we all have clear heads.” Dumbledore stood up, yawned and removed his chair.

“Harry, as always, you know what to do.” He winked at him, before turning to Ginny.

“I believe Madam Pomfrey will be in to check on her patients, I’m sure she will have the two of you out of here as soon as possible.” Dumbledore smiled, “In the meantime, please don’t try to reconnect until I can assist you, with powerful magic comes great responsibility.”

“Yes, Professor.” Both he and Ginny agreed to his stipulations.

“Now, a bit of shut eye would be nice.” Dumbledore yawned again, “I’ll see you in the morning, then.”

“Good night, Professor.” Ginny whispered as he turned to leave.

“Good night.”






“Well, Harry?” Ginny asked, easing off his bed when they were alone.

“Well?” He replied.

“How would you fancy a bunk mate?” Ginny asked plainly.

“Uh...” He was caught off guard by her request.

Ginny slipped under the covers of the bed next to his and pulled them up around her tight as she laid on her side looking at him. “Will this do?”

“Yeah, it’ll do.” Harry carefully eased forward. It was still painful to move, but he managed to slide off all but one pillow from out under him before rolling over on his side facing Ginny. Gently he lowered his head onto the remaining pillow, looking across at the red headed girl.

“Pomfrey’s gonna kick you out and back to your old bed you know.” Harry whispered, his face half buried in the pillow.

“Not if I can help it.” Ginny furrowed her brow mockingly. “Shh! Here she comes.”

Madam Pomfrey’s footsteps grew louder until they stopped abruptly at the foot of their beds. Harry and Ginny exchanged fleeting glances of mischief before assuming an innocent face.

“I suppose you didn’t like your bed, Miss Weasley?” The school Healer asked skeptically and she stode between the beds and set a tray with two glasses and a deep purple flask down upon the nightstand.

“Yes, the mattress was lumpy and I didn’t like the view.” Ginny answered matter-of-factly, keeping a straight face as Madam Pomfrey poured two doses of potion.

“Well, there’s not going to be a view in a few minutes.” The elderly witch huffed, handing her and Harry their draughts. “Down with it, the both of you.”

Harry felt the sleeping draught ooze down his throat, instantly relaxing him as the potion took effect. Madam Pomfrey, having sufficiently supervised their medication, walked back to her desk with her tray in hand.

“See you in the morning.” He whispered across to Ginny who was having a hard time fighting the effects as well.

“See you in the morning.” She managed to whisper back before they both succumbed and slipped into restful, peaceful sleep.





A/N: Alright, I've realized that it's been awhile since I've given proper respect to my Beta Whizzbee! Thank you kindly dear!!! I'd also like to thank my reviewers... and my readers. *Maybe I need to give out a few more PBA awards!!*
I'm almost done with the next chapter which unfortunately isn't as 'action packed' as the last two, but you can look forward to some fluff. Thank you, thank you, thank you! ~Patrony