Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Power The Dark Lord Knows Not by PatronyBologna

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 16








The Unhappy, Happy Christmas





“Now be good and don’t get into any trouble you lot.” Mrs. Weasley was pulling Ginny’s traveling cloak tighter around her neck, making sure that it was securely attached before tucking in the ends of her Gryffindor scarf.

Harry noticed that Ginny seemed to be taking the mollycoddling in stride as he fished his arm through the sleeve of his own heavy cloak.

“Yes, Mum.” Ginny muffled through the scarf, prying the knitted layers off her mouth with her gloved finger when Mrs. Weasley turned and fussed with Ron.

“Dinner will be ready at six o’clock. Lupin and Tonks are welcome if they’d like to join us.” Mrs. Weasley brushed the crinkles off of her sons broadening shoulders. “Six o’clock!”

“Yes, Mum.” Ron answered and reached up on top of the mantle for the small pewter cauldron containing the Floo Powder. Turning back to Harry and Ginny he asked, “Are we ready?”

“Absolutely.” Ginny pulled the scarf down under her chin but caught a disproving look from Mrs. Weasley and hoisted it back up.

“Have a good time, Harry.” It was his turn to be given the once-over. He had hoped that by watching her tuck, tighten, and bundle her own children, that he had successfully performed the job himself, making sure that he did not repeat their mistakes. However, this was Mrs. Weasley and she was sure to find something that needed to be adjusted.

“Stick together now,” She had found it, a loose clasp on his cloak, wiggling the sliver latch, the broken threads pulling out of the thick wool as she clicked her tongue in displeasure. “Oh dear, I’ll need to fix this before you can leave.”

“Mum, really?” Ron’s patience was running out. Harry looked back to him and shrugged helplessly and Ginny just rolled her water eyes, her face fully flushed from the extra warmth. “Hermione is going to meet us there and we’ll be late.”

“It’ll just take a moment.” The matriarch pulled her wand from out of her patchwork apron. “It looks like someone tried to rip it off.”

That would have been me’ Harry thought to himself. He remembered getting tangled up in it when he was trying to find Ginny. The memory of it, the feelings of panic that he had had, churned in his stomach.

Mrs. Weasley muttered the simple spell and replaced her wand with a satisfied sigh.

“There, all better.” She said looking up into Harry’s eyes. At that moment he realized that he was now taller her. He understood Mrs. Weasley’s attempt to hold on to them by fussing with this and that, the ability to keep them safe and protected, was slipping away with their adolescence.

“Thanks, I’ve been meaning to get that fixed.” Harry returned with a small nod.

“Say hello to Hermione and wish her a Happy Christmas.” Mrs. Weasley gave him a quick hug before moving to Ron and finally Ginny. “Remember, six o’clock sharp!”

Ron offered the powder to Harry first. He took a small handful and stepped into the Burrows fireplace. “The Leaky Cauldron.” He made sure to speak it clearly. There was whirl of green flames, and with one last look at Ginny, he was gone.


Harry stepped down off the hearth inside the inn, brushing the soot off his cloak, then removing his glasses to clean them.

“Wotcher, Harry.” He didn’t need prefect vision to make out the trademark, bubblegum pink hair, of one Nymphadora Tonks.

“Hey, Tonks.” Harry replaced his glasses at walked over to the occupied table. “Hermione, Lupin.”

“Hi, Harry.” Hermione chimed. “Got your list?”

“I’m sure you do.” He replied, there was another flash of green and Ginny stepped through looking thoroughly relieved.

“So, where would you like to go today?” Lupin asked Harry before taking a sip of his tea.

“Dunno, I don’t really have a specific place in mind.” Harry jotted his head towards the fireplace where Ginny was freeing herself from the many layers her mum had wrapped around her. It was his way of letting Lupin know that he really didn’t want to discuss it with the present company. His guardian, perceptive as he was, didn’t ask any further.

With one final flash of green, the last member of their party arrived and like his sister, he took off as many layers as necessary before joining the rest at the table.

“How’s Pig been for you?” Ron asked Hermione, standing directly to the side of her. He had given her Pig to take home for the holidays. “He hasn’t been eaten by that cat of yours, has he?”

“Of course not.” Hermione smiled, Harry thought it was odd that she was doing so. “He’s just fine, thanks. We’re getting along quite splendidly.”

“Good.” Ron answered back, loosening his scarf from around his neck. “Shall we get on with it then?”

“I suppose us girls will stick together?” Tonks got up from the table and slipped on her gloves. “The boys won’t be able to keep up with our shopping skills and there’s a new set of dress robes at Madam Malkins, it’s all the rage and you girls have just got to see them.” By her last remark, Tonks had reached a twitter that only girls were capable of speaking or understanding.

“Oh, and I’m out of Dewberry lip gloss so we have to go and pick some up while we’re here.” Ginny added to the list of girly things to do in the same twittering fashion, further giving the boys ample reasons not to join them.

“I think it would be for the best.” Lupin set down his mug and leaned back on the hind legs of his chair. “Meet back here at three to switch and five to head back?”

“Yeah, Mum has invited you two for dinner tonight at six if you’re interested.” Ron remembered to tell Lupin and Tonks of his mother’s request.

“Three and five it is.” Tonks smiled back at the remaining boys. “Do we get a head start?”

“You’ll need it.” Lupin rocked back down and gestured Harry and Ron to take a seat.

“We’ll let you know if... just like we talked about.” Tonks had flash of seriousness, Harry watched Lupin’s expression match hers, before turning to the waiting girls, “Shall we?”

“Lead the way.” Hermione said, both girls smirking like a cat that had caught the canary.







“Girls.” Ron muttered over his fresh mug of piping hot tea.

“So, do you boys have in mind what you’re after today?” Lupin was clearing enjoying himself.

“Yep.” Ron replied, still face down over his mug.

“I’m not sure,” Harry grabbed his mug, “But I’ll know when I see it.”

“Who’s on your list?” Smiling slightly, Lupin inquired of them.

Harry kept silent, it was Ron who answered, relieving him of the burden to think fast. “Everyone.”

“Yeah, we didn’t get to do much shopping in Hogsmeade.” Harry replied dryly. “Had a bit of a detour.”

When they had finished their drinks, the trio thanked Tom the innkeeper and made their way to the familiar entrance to Diagon Alley.

“Gringotts?” The eldest member asked.

“No, already taken care of.” Harry stepped through the brick archway before it magically sealed itself behind him. “Inside connections.”

“Flourish and Blotts.” Ron said, plowing his way through the snowy alley, sidestepping the few remaining, last minute holiday shoppers brave enough to venture. “Let’s start there.”


Harry was able to find a book he thought Ron would enjoy. It was titled, ‘Quidditch Plays Through The Centuries’. He went to the cashier to make the purchase, noticing that Ron was busy picking out what was becoming a stack of books over in an obscure corner of the shop. He watched his friend rifle through them, checking the inside cover and the first few pages before dismissing it and moving onto the next. Lupin was thumbing through a copy of the Daily Prophet at the newsstand not far from the cashier desk.

“Anything new?” Harry asked, walking up behind him, glancing at the article he was reading.

“Oh, more attacks, Death Eater sightings and the sort.” Lupin rustled to the next page that was dedicated to write-in submissions by readers. “Nothing we don’t already know about, of course.”

Warning: He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named And Teapots.” Harry tried not to laugh at the Headline he was reading. “...Shirley Redding of Bramburg believes that the infamous wizard has possessed her unsuspecting neighbor by way of her teapot. Ms. Redding claims that she became extremely agitated shortly after enjoying a mid-morning tea to which she was invited but fortunately did not partake in.

Lupin folded the paper and put it back on the rack with the other copies.

“Like Voldemort couldn’t think of a better way to control people.” Harry shook his head at the outlandish allegations.

“People are scared, Harry.” Lupin sighed. “Seemingly normal people believe and do crazy things when they’re scared.”

“But teapots?” Harry eyed him skeptically.

“Some of them may have merit, a shred of truth, but most do not.” Lupin turned and glanced around the store to find his second ward for the day. “It’s information and right now, we need all we can get no matter how ridiculous.”




“Stationers for one last thing and then I’m done, well... except for yours, Harry.” Ron said happily as they walked out of the bookstore with a few books wrapped in plain brown paper. “Any luck?”

“Na, just one down.” Harry replied miserably, he considered everyone easy to shop for with the exception of Ginny. He didn’t know exactly what to get her but he knew that he wanted it to be special, but not too special... she was not his girlfriend.

They spent a few minutes in Stationers, he purchased two Ever-Sharp Quills and a Self-Inking inkbottle for Hermione, it’s guaranteed to refill at least four times before the spell runs out. It would last the average Hogwarts student all year, but with Hermione, it would be lucky to last two months.

Time was passing quickly as they went to almost every shop that remained open in Diagon Alley. A lot of his favorite places had closed their doors from the lack of customers now that Voldemort was out in the open. Harry still had not found just the right gift he was looking for. A quarter before three, he reached a point of desperation.

“Let’s try the junk shop.” Harry took the lead and crossed the icy alley. “It’s the only place we haven’t tried yet.”

They entered the shop, its hodge-podge displays of odds and ends cluttered what little space there was. There were cloaks of every size, color and style, he found a few that would have rivaled Ron’s old dress robes. Burnt cauldrons, cracked statues of beasts, wizards and witches, various degrees of household items and things that Harry had no idea what they were or their exact uses. The crusty looking shopkeeper, his magnified eyes wide with the sight of potential customers, contrasting with his slicked, dark gray hair, followed Harry as he navigated the aisles, offering to provide help at a moments notice.

Harry had to shift items off the counters to see what was hidden inside the glass display cases. Ron was amusing himself with an old pair of ominoculars and Lupin was fidgeting with an odd looking brass gadget.

He wasn’t having any luck and the ever-present shopkeeper was getting on his nerves, feeling added pressure. It seemed like the harder he looked, the less he would be successful, and nothing struck him as being that one thing, just for Ginny. Harry was beginning to think that he was just wasting his time on something he would never find.

“We better get going, Harry. Maybe you’ll find what you’re looking for on a return trip.” Lupin told him consolingly, “Tonks is a stickler for being on time and I wouldn’t fancy a telling off for being late.”

“Yeah,” he sighed deeply from the back of the store and set down an ugly bust of a famous opera witch. “I’ll be there in a minute.”

Turning back to the storefront and an awaiting Ron and Lupin, Harry’s eyes caught a glimpse of something partially hidden behind an old wizarding photograph of a wizard receiving a certificate of some sort. His heart jumped as he moved the mishmash off of the case to get a better look at what he had found. ‘This is it, this was perfect.’ He said to himself.

“Excuse me, Sir?” Harry asked the storekeeper who was already behind the counter, not taking his eyes off of Ginny’s gift.





Tonks, Hermione, and Ginny were waiting for them near the brick entrance. All three were carrying at least one shopping bag apiece.

“You’re late.” Tonks smiled at Lupin as he shuffled through the snow.

“No,” He corrected her politely, “We’re exactly on time, you’re just early.”

“Uh-uh.” Tonks looked at him knowingly. “Ready for a trade off then?”

“Sure.” Lupin asked, “Any trouble?”

“Nope, none whatsoever.” Tonks remained cheerful as she turned to the rest of the group, “So who’s with me?”

“I am.” Hermione was the first to speak up, she was obviously enjoying her ‘girl time’ with Tonks. “Come on Ron.”

“See you later.” Ron rolled his eyes but dutiful obeyed, following the two twittering girls back up the alley.

“Where to next, Ginny.” Lupin asked, “Ladies first.”

“Oh, I’m done, thanks.” Ginny held up her small shopping bag. “But I’d really like to go to Weasley’s Wizarding Wheeze’s, I hear it’s a fine establishment.”

Harry grinned, he too wanted the chance to visit Fred and George’s shop.

“It’s decided then.” Lupin nodded and the three of them made their way to the only remaining joke shop in Diagon Alley.

Harry and Ginny were amazed to see what Fred and George had accomplished before they took their first step onto the premises. The window display alone was impressive.

Ginny was the first to enter, the small bell that hung just below the doorjamb tinkled upon their entrance. The store ceiling was enchanted with sparkling snowflakes and red and green baubles. Fred was the first to appear from the back room.

“Ginny! Harry! Professor Lupin!” He boisterously greeted them. Fred embraced his sister, then vigorously shook Harry and Lupin’s hand. “How nice of you to stop by! George, we have special customers!”

Striding importantly out from behind the curtain, the other twin appeared, he too was just as pompous and loud in matching, dark blue robes with their logo stitched just below the shoulder. Ginny had had enough and told her brothers to knock it off or she would never step foot in another Wizarding Wheeze’s if her life depended on it.

“Just having fun.” Fred dropped the act.

“Business has been really slow today.” George freely admitted. “But we’re glad you’re here.”

“We’ll show you around our humble shop.” Fred took hold of Ginny’s arm and directed her to the left with Harry, Lupin, and George bringing up the rear.


Just before the tour of the back room was completed, the bell above the door tinkled again. George peeked out through the curtain before turning back to the rest of the group.

“It’s Ron, Hermione, and Tonks.” He whispered back mischievously. “Now we can really have some fun.”

Fred lowered his voice, “Ginny, here’s a gift just for Ron if you’re up to it.” He pulled out a small white wrapped box, bright green curling ribbon decorated the top of it, and placed it into her hands.

“What’s in it?” Lupin asked, nostalgic of his younger days of mischief.

“Just a little something he’ll enjoy.” George whispered again from the curtain, he was watching the newest customers browse the shop. “Or not.”

“Fred.” The youngest Weasley was not satisfied with their answers. “I’m not giving this to him unless I know exactly what it does.”

“I’m going in.” George whispered back to the group with a wink then proceeded to burst through the curtain in the same flamboyant manner.

“It’s harmless, really.” Fred turned slightly pink, but kept his devilish grin. “Nothing is in the package, well... nothing tangible.”

“Is it cursed?” Harry asked, his curiosity piqued.

“Not exactly, it’s more of an aid of sorts.” The twin’s eyes twinkled, “Think of it as doing him a favor.”

“Aid to what?” Ginny shook the box in front of Fred’s face in frustration.

“It’s Magical Mistletoe. The purchaser or in this case, the receiver, opens the box and unleashes the spell, every time someone wishes him Happy Christmas, a lovely sprig of mistletoe will appear above his head.”

“What’s the catch?” Lupin eyed him and Ginny grunted in agreement.

“Nothing. It’s just that to get rid of the mistletoe, whoever had wished him Happy Christmas has to snog him.” Fred jerked his head back to the front of the store where they could hear George laying it on thick, Hermione giggling and Ron’s temper rising. “In his case, a witch.”

“That’s it?” Ginny asked one last time, “No surprises?”

“No surprises, it’s not even guaranteed.” Fred put his hand over his heart. “Well, the product is, the snogging isn’t.”

From the look on Ginny’s face, he could tell that she didn’t buy it.

“Look, it’s set up so that a kiss, an innocent peck on the cheek from a family member won’t work. It has to be a...”

Ginny turned pink, “How long does it last?”

“Twenty-four hours.” Fred raised his brows playfully, “Do I have a taker?”

“I think Hermione needs to come over for dinner.” Ginny started making plans of her own, she spun around to Lupin. “Do you think Tonks would mind taking her back to her parents house tonight?”

“Uh, that’s up to her.” Lupin tried to back out of any involvement, weary of the budding plan.

“Harry, what do you think?” She tried to get another conspirator.

“Brilliant.” He agreed easily, “It’ll be an extra present from us... well, not from us exactly.”

“Good.” Fred beamed and walked out of the back room with Ginny who slipped the magical ‘aid’ into her bag.

“A bit presumptuous, don’t you think?” Lupin sighed to Harry, now that they were standing alone in the backroom, clearly having his reservations.

“I’m just glad we’re on their side,” Harry admitted with a grin, “but it should be good fun.”

“Fun?” His guardian bounced on his heels momentarily before opening up the curtain to walk through. “I’ll remember that.”






Ginny worked her charm and convinced Hermione and Tonks to stay for dinner in no time flat. Harry knew that Ginny could turn it on and off at will but was surprised to see how gifted in the art of manipulation she truly was. Although, Ron’s enthusiasm at the prospect of have another dinner guest helped solidify the invitation.

It was five o’clock and with all the shopping done and the pieces of their latest offensive front in motion, Harry, Ginny, and Ron, returned to the Burrow.


“Ron?” Mrs. Weasley called from the kitchen amid the bangs of pots and pans.

“Yeah?” He hollered back, pulling off his cloak and laying it across the back of a nearby chair.

“Ron,” Mrs. Weasley called again. “I need you to get the extra chairs out of the shed.”

“Coming.” Ron sighed and took off towards the kitchen, “Harry, can you take my bag up to our room?”

“Sure, no problem.” Harry smiled at Ginny, aware that an opportunity presented it’s self.

“Ginny.” Mrs. Weasley walked through the kitchen door, drying her hands. “Can you set the table? I hear we have another guest for dinner.”

“Okay, just let me put my things away first.” Ginny held up her bag. “I can’t leave this lying around.”

“Yes well, be quick about it.” Mrs. Weasley then turned to Harry. “You can just relax, dear.”

“Oh, I’d like to help, if that’s okay?” Harry shrugged, keeping his face as straight as possible.

“That would be nice.” And with that she left back to the kitchen, flinging the dishtowel over her shoulder.


“Let’s hurry before Ron gets back.” Ginny immediately sprung into action.

They grabbed their things, Harry taking Ron’s bag like he had said, and sprinted upstairs.

At the first landing, Ginny grabbed his arm to stop him, jerking him back off his balance, he was midway on a step. He watched as she pulled the special present from her bag and placed it in his. Harry caught his breath as she moved close to him, on her tiptoes she whispered into his ear.

“Put this on his bed.” She pulled back, biting her lower lip to keep the laughter in.

He had to regain his momentary lapse of all rational thought, “Now?”

“No, tomorrow.” Ginny whispered incredulously, “Of course now. He needs to open it tonight, before dinner... before Hermione goes home.”

“Yeah right, sorry.” Still grasping for a shred of logic.

“Put your things away and meet me back downstairs. We need to be back before he comes up.”

Harry nodded and stood there for a moment before he stepped up to the second staircase. Again, Ginny caught him and pulled him back down to the landing.

“Get on with it!” She cheekily smiled and disappeared into her room.

Once inside the room, he carefully pulled out the contents of his bag. Most of the items he stowed in his trunk, Ginny’s gift he was extra careful with and hid it wrapped in a ball of socks and inside his pillowcase. With the gift meant for Ron, he placed it carefully on his bed just as Ginny had asked, treating it like the spell could somehow explode or leak onto him and he’d find himself the one with a halo of mistletoe. Thinking more on the prospect, it wasn’t such a bad invention, he wouldn’t mind too terribly if it was Ginny who removed his. With the deed done, the trap set, Harry bounded back down the stairs and into the kitchen where Ginny, Mrs. Weasley, and a snow-blown, cobweb-covered Ron were busy with dinner preparations.





“I expect Tonks, Professor Lupin, and Hermione will be here any minute now.” Ginny said, finishing up the table. “Oh, Fred and George said that they’d be late.”

“You’re a mess, Ronald.” Mrs. Weasley looked at her youngest son, magiking a large soup tureen onto the table. “Go get cleaned up before they get here.”

“Yes, Mum.” And Ron trudged up the stairs, pulling the larger cobwebs from off his maroon jumper.



With the arrival of Mr. Weasley and the table set, Harry and Ginny retired to the sofa, eagerly awaiting the appearance of mistletoe at the first Happy Christmas.

“Do you think he’ll open it?” Harry asked.

“Of course he will.” Ginny smiled. “Wouldn’t you?”

“Probably.” He sighed as the fire turned green and Hermione stepped out. “Hey.”

“So it worked out?” Ginny asked.

“Yeah, they had an emergency root canal patient come in right before closing, so they didn’t mind.” Hermione hung her cloak on the pegboard. “Smells good.”

“Mum will be glad to hear it.” Ginny grinned, more to Harry then Hermione, the thundering footfalls to Ron could be heard above them, stomping out of the bathroom and back to his room.

“This will be the last time I can come and visit before Christmas though.” Hermione turned and flopped down into a chair.

“It’s only two days away, then you can come and visit again for New Years.” Ginny was very consoling. “You’ll just have to wish us all Happy Christmas now.”

Harry couldn’t help himself, a loud snort had escaped at her last remark, feeling Ginny’s foot connecting with his shin, he tried to cover it up with a sudden violent cough. Thankfully, the fire roared back to life and Tonks stepped in, sufficiently distracting Hermione.


With dinner ready, and Lupin just arriving, the group made there way into the kitchen and the large Weasley family table. Harry thought smartly of taking a seat next to Lupin and was flanked by Ginny. Hermione sat across from Harry, leaving an empty seat, Tonks sat at the corner while Mr. and Mrs. Weasley took up their positions at the head and foot of the table. Two extra chairs, the ones Ron brought in from the shed, sat in the corner, waiting to be used when the twins arrived.

Ron finally entered the kitchen, his hair still wet and wearing yet another maroon jumper his mother had made for him.

“Hey, sorry.” He said to the table and took the seat next to Hermione.

“Let’s eat.” Mr. Weasley dismissed his tardiness and lifted the lid off the tureen.

Every once and awhile, Harry would feel Ginny step on his toes underneath the table as the dinner conversation got going. He wasn’t sure what he was supposed to do, but by her quite sputters and furtive looks, she was expecting something.

“Oh.” Harry said aloud, to which Ginny was quick on his toes. “Oh.”

“What is it, Harry?” Lupin asked.

“Oh... I was uh, just... I’m going to miss not having you around, Hermione.” Harry could feel his face flushing and the awkward looks he received from Ginny, Lupin, and Ron.

Ginny was fast on the recovery, “Mum, Hermione will be spending the holidays with her family. We’re all going to miss not having her around this year.”

“Yes, of course we’ll miss you dear,” Mrs. Weasley turned to Hermione, “but your invited to come and stay with us for New Years if your parents permit and we’ll take you back to Kings Cross. You know you’re always welcome here... Happy Christmas.”

Hermione shrunk back at all the odd attention and replied, “Happy Christmas Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Professor Lupin,” who nearly choked on his stew and reached for his napkin to cover his mouth, “Harry, Ginny...”

And then it happened, “Happy Christmas Ron, Tonks.”

There was a little ‘pop’ and suspended above Ron’s head, enveloped in a sparkling mist, was a sprig of Mistletoe, just as Fred said there would be.

Ginny giggled, cramming in a large piece of bread to stop herself and Harry tried to contain his own amusement, it had worked. Everyone noticed the little white berry branch above Ron’s head but him.

“You’re quite festive today.” Tonks told a bewildered Ron.

“What?” He said, not understanding why everyone was staring at and above him.

“Son,” Mr. Weasley took pity, “you’ve got some Mistletoe.”

“I’ve got what?” Ron blindly reached above his head, just missing the sprig.

“Mistletoe.” Hermione blushed, discretely pointing upwards.

“Mistletoe?” Ron was still groping frantically above his head and Ginny’s giggles grew louder.

“Ron, take that down now.” Mrs. Weasley tried not to laugh at his predicament. “I will not have this nonsense at the table. I’d expect this from your brothers, but not from you.”

“Fred and George.” Ron seethed, still coming up short.

“It’s traditional to kiss someone if they’re under the mistletoe.” Tonks added as if she was talking about the weather, buttering the second half of her roll and dabbing it into her stew. “It looks like you’ll need to be kissed, it’s the only cure.”

Ron quickly slid out from the table, hoping to see his current bane of existence above where he was seated. Harry bit harder into his cheek when Ron realized that it was still above him. By this time, Ginny was gasping for breath.

Overcome with frustration and embarrassment, Ron got up and walked out of the kitchen. Ginny immediately quieted at the surprising turn of events, she had thought Ron would have taken it all in good measure. Everyone sat, listening to the front door being thrown open and slammed shut, the nearby window rattled in the casement from the force.

“Ginevra Molly?” Mr. Weasley asked.

“Yes, Dad.” She eeked out, he had used her full given name and knew what was coming.

“Did you have something to do with this?” Mr. Weasley eyed her suspiciously over the basket of dinner rolls.

“Yes.” She admitted, not incriminating anyone else.

Her father slumped back in his chair in thought. Harry knew that she was in trouble and by all rights, he should be in trouble too.

“I helped.” He croaked. “I gave it to him, well... not directly. I left it on his bed. We knew what would happen.”

“I see.” Mr. Weasley wiped the corners of his mouth with his napkin, still contemplating the degree of their offense.

Hermione suddenly got up, muttering to be excused from the table and left the kitchen. Harry assumed that she was going after Ron and that both would be quite upset with the two of them.

“Dishes, the both of you, for the rest of the holiday.” Mrs. Weasley was the first to offer punishment. “If that’s satisfactory with Remus.”

“Yes, Mum.”

“Yes, Mrs. Weasley.”

“I’d like to add to it, if I may.” Lupin spoke, sitting up in his chair.

Harry tensed, he had no idea what type of punishment Lupin would prescribe. After all, he was there when the plans were made and didn’t stop him.

“I think they should apologize to Ron and Hermione.” Lupin took a drink of mead, leaving ample time for Harry to believe that it was the only repentance he required of them. “And if you agree, Arthur... Molly, I’d like both Harry and Ginny not to speak to each other-“

“What?” Ginny leaned into the table to look at the Professor on the other side of Harry, disbelieving what she had just heard.

“Don’t interrupt, young lady, you’re in enough trouble as it is.” Mrs. Weasley was quick to reel her in.

“Sorry, Professor.” Ginny hung her head and resumed her position, somewhat hiding beside Harry who remained silent.

“You will not be permitted to speak to each other until Christmas dinner. And...” Harry finally looked to Lupin, who barely inclined his head, wordlessly telling him that it was not a joke. “You are to be in the same room during waking hours, with obvious exceptions of course.” He swirled the last of his mead before finishing it off.

“Arthur?” Mrs. Weasley asked, looking satisfied with the arrangement.

“Agreed.” Mr. Weasley raised his glass, “Here’s to a bit of peace and quiet.”

“Peace and quiet!” George, followed by Fred, entered the kitchen.

“Not while we’re here.” Fred laughed. “Happy Christmas.”

“Happy Christmas yourself.” Ginny did not hide her resentment.






The rest of dinner was excruciating to say the least. He hadn’t considered the fact that Ron would react like that and that he and Ginny would be dealt multiple punishments, not that they were so bad. Harry was grateful when the remaining adults left the kitchen for the parlor, leaving him and Ginny to their work. It was stipulated that they could talk until they apologized, which had to be tonight, before Hermione and Tonks left, and time was quickly running out.

Harry washed, Ginny rinsed and dried, and together they put the various pots, plates, bowls, and whatnots away. It was also decided that they would apologize together, to both Ron and Hermione at the same time.

“Ginny?” Harry asked, scrubbing the bottom of the stew pot.

“Yeah?” She pulled a few bread plates out of the water, letting them drip before placing them on the rack.

“It wasn’t that bad, was it?” Harry gave the pot a quarter turn and scrubbed some more where a carrot slice had scorched. “I thought they were, you know... I didn’t think he’d react like that.”

“Neither did I.” Ginny fished out a handful of spoons from the bottom of the sink. “I just didn’t see it that way, I didn’t think about it.”

“How do we tell them?” Harry was truly at a loss, “I’m sorry doesn’t seem to cut it.”

“Sure it does.” Ginny took the dishtowel and began drying the plates. “We’ll tell them exactly why we did it.”

“And why exactly did we do it?” Harry finally removed the carrot remains.

“Because I was being childish and you’re a stupid git.” Ginny stated matter-of-factly, stacking the now dry plates on the table with the rest of the clean dishes.

“You know, that’s the third time now that you’ve called me that.” Harry emptied out the pot and let it splash into the rinsewater, the spray catching Ginny when she turned around.

“You’re counting?” Ginny chuckled, blotting at her mother’s apron she had borrowed.

“No.” Harry took the dishtowel away from Ginny and dried his hands.

“Whatever, Potter.” Ginny snatched the towel back and began dry and sort the utensils.

“How are we going to keep quiet?” He took a stack of bowls and put them away. Harry had spent so much time with the Weasley’s, he knew where most things belonged.

“We can mime,” She snorted, dropping a butter knife onto its respective pile.

“We can write.” Harry added with his back to her, putting the tureen on the bottom shelf of the china cabinet.

“We can...” Ginny looked up and waited for him to face her. “practice one of our-“

“No.” Harry said flatly. “No we cannot.”

“Why not?” Ginny dried off the ladle. “Why do you think Lupin gave us that punishment?”

“I don’t care why and we’re not.” Harry was adamant, he would not be invoking any bond, Legilimency or not.

Ginny huffed, took up the rest of the knives and spoons to put them away. “You’re being silly.”

“I am not.” His temper was rising and his voice lowered. “I won’t do it, Gin.”

“What are you afraid of?” Ginny pushed the drawer shut and turned to face him. “We know what we can and cannot do, Dumbledore said that we just can’t-“

“No.” Harry made sure that it was the last word and returned to the sink to pull the stew pot out to dry.

He could hear Ginny put the last of the dishes away behind him and got a towel in the face shortly after he’d asked for it. Lupin came in just in time to witness the incident.

“Ron and Hermione are back in, Tonks is getting ready to leave.” Lupin told the squabbling pair.

Ginny was sitting crossed-legged on the table, her free leg bouncing up and down impatiently, her arms folded across her chest and looking sour, watching Harry roughly dry the pot, with the same sour expression.

“I’ll tell them to expect the two of you in a minute.” Lupin sized up the situation and backed out of the room.

Harry neatly folded the damp towel and laid it on countertop, his eyes glaring at Ginny and hers glared right back. Periodically she would blow the same lock of hair out of her face.

At last she rolled her eyes, got up and walked out. Harry followed behind, catching the door before it closed on him.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were sitting together on the sofa, Lupin sat in the side chair, Tonks had her cloak hung over her arm, standing behind him, and Ron and Hermione were both sitting on the floor by the fire. Harry noticed right away that the mistletoe had been removed.

“I’m sorry.” Harry started from behind the sofa, standing the length of it away from Ginny.

“I’m sorry.” Ginny cut in, her arms still folded tightly across her chest.

“It was a prank.” He admitted, watching their faces change.

“We didn’t mean it to embarrass-” She added.

“-Didn’t think-.” He cut in.

“-Harmless, really.” She answered tartly.

“She’s being childish.” He looked to Ginny.

“He’s a stupid git.” She shot back and muttered under her breath, “That’s four now.”

“I’m sorry.” Both of them practically shouting their final apology to a gaping Ron and Hermione.

“Good night.” Ginny huffed and turned to make her way upstairs.

“Good night.” Harry followed suit, marching past her without a single word. He could feel all eyes on him as he disappeared from sight, retreating to a room without Ginny.





Ron had come up quite late, probably to make sure that he was asleep. Harry just layed on his side, away from the door and Ron’s bed. Frustration ran through him into the small hours of the morning without respite.

She’s so stubborn.’ Harry kicked off the blanket. ‘So stubborn.

Flipping onto his back and running both hands through his hair, hoping to entice some sleep. ‘Why is she so stubborn.’

The argument kept going inside his head.

She knows exactly what I could do to her, what could happen to the both of us. She knows the rules, she knew Dumbldedore told us not to reconnect, but she did it anyhow.’

Harry took a deep breath and held it. Still feeling restless, he rolled over to his other side, Ron was completely sacked out.

Why did she do it? I didn’t ask her to... she just did it. I would have been fine.’ Harry realized that he was deluding himself, he would not have been fine.

She’s stubborn.’ It was the only point of defense he could make in his own selfish favor.

Harry shoved his hand under his pillow to fluff it up and hit a wad of socks. Lifting his head up, he pulled it out. Shifting to his back again, he peeled the protective layer away, revealing what he had found for Ginny. Examining it carefully, gently running his fingers over many intricate edges and back again, the frustration ebbed. ‘She did it for me.... She doesn’t matter.


Folding her gift back into the socks and replacing it under his pillow, Harry sat up and put his glasses on. Tiptoeing quietly he opened the trunk at the foot of his bed. With parchment, ink, wand and quill in hand, he crept across the darkened room and slipped unheard down the stairs, pausing briefly at Ginny’s door, before continuing on to the kitchen. Carefully pulling out a chair, Harry lit a small oil lamp and settled down to write. Holding the ink-laden quill above the parchment, he wrote her name. No greetings or pretense, just Ginny. For the next two hours, the lamp on the table remained lit and the scratching made from quill to parchment, giving life to his etched out thoughts, stirred the still night air.



A/N: Next chapter is finished, it just needs some tweaking here and there. Things jumped ahead from where we last left off, but questions will be answered soon enough. Thanks so much for all the reads and reviews. I really appreciate every single one! Thanks to Whizzbee, the wonderful beta! ~Patrony :)