Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Distraction by Jenn_Weasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Telara sat on her horse overlooking the ranch she had called home for 17 years. It was a sunny May afternoon made even more glorious by the fact that she was finally done with school. Her years at Del Rio High School were pleasant enough but dull compared to the teaching she received at home. As far as Telara knew, she was an orphan transplanted from her native England to this sprawling southern Texas ranch. Her adoptive parents were Edward and Bridget Ollivander though she had always called them Gramps and Nana. Though her parents were older, they seemed like a perfectly normal family. But that was far from the truth. Edward and Bridget were wizard and witch. Telara was raised with the assumption that she too would be a witch. Signs of her talent came early: a chicken that startled her as a toddler turned purple and remained that way until it became dinner one Sunday afternoon, and a bull lost its horns when it charged at her. It was clear to Edward and Bridget that they would indeed be training their daughter to become a witch.

Edward and Bridget began her magical education on her eleventh birthday. They had built a series of underground rooms that were used to house their wizarding library, classroom and potions laboratory. Though they rarely had Muggle guests, they did not want to risk exposure if anyone were to drop by their house. Edward’s brother had come to America with a trunk full of wands to try. She was finally chosen by a wand made from yew with a unicorn hair core. She learned quickly and proved quite gifted at potion-making. She also attended the local Muggle school. Her parents realized that would be the best way for her to learn to pass as a Muggle.

Telara had always been sure of herself in no small part to the encouraging and loving way she was raised. Therefore, Muggle school proved easy enough for her. She got along with most of her classmates and had a small group of friends. Her secret, however, kept her from really bonding with any of them. She longed to be home so she could learn a new charm or practice flying on her Cleansweep. The 2,300-acre ranch gave her the room and privacy she needed to become a skilled flyer. She loved her magical training so much that it didn’t seem like extra work when her education continued at home.

The favorite parts of her life involved her Nana and Gramps and her magical education. She also cherished the owls and visits from her Godfather, Albus Dumbledore. She still called him “Papadore” as she did when she was a young child and could not get her mouth around his name. He was the one who named Telara when she was born. He would tell her that her name meant “golden ray of sun” and that is exactly what she was in a time and situation that was so dark. He would not tell her, however, why the time around her birth was so terrible. Neither would he tell her anything about her father. Her mother died soon after she was born and Telara remembered nothing of her hasty removal and relocation soon after.

On her twelfth birthday, Dumbledore arrived at the ranch to bring Telara a present.

“My dear one,” he began. “This picture was in one of my books. It really belongs with you.”

Telara’s heart beat faster as she looked at the moving image before her.

“Mom?” she asked her voice thick with emotion.

“Yes, that is your mother,” Dumbledore replied, holding back his own tears.

Telara could see that her mother was beautiful, but she could also see the ravages of time and illness in her eyes. Those eyes also showed the love and adoration she felt for her baby daughter who she held so close. Telara had never received anything so precious in all her young life.

Life had been calm and predictable for Telara. She had a fun senior year of high school and was getting to learn some very useful and challenging magical skills. Now that summer was here she could focus on finishing her magical training.

The only thing that dampened her spirits was the stressful atmosphere that her home had recently taken. Edward and Bridget were becoming increasingly jittery lately. The number of owls had multiplied lately though Telara hadn’t seen any of the letters that had been delivered. She walked in on a very tense conversation between them recently. They were talking about someone who was regaining power and an impending war when Telara stepped on a squeaky board and gave herself away. They quickly dismissed the conversation and refused to elaborate.

She rode her horse back to the barn where she got him settled from the long ride she had taken around the ranch. She had probably been out too long. Her suspicion was confirmed when she saw Nana standing on the porch, her toe tapping impatiently on the weathered boards.

“Well, there you are!! I was about to send your Gramps out to find you,” she hollered.

“I’m sorry Nana, I couldn’t resist,” explained Telara. Why is she so worried? This is becoming a habit of hers I could do without. she thought.

“Well, come in and clean up for dinner,” instructed Bridget. The tension coming from her was odd. She was usually an easy going person.

“Nana, is something wrong?” asked Telara.

“No child,” Bridget answered. “I’m just glad you’ll be home with us from now on. I worried about you while you were at school.”

“Why would you be worried? It’s just school. Why would that bother you?” Telara questioned.

“It makes no difference now,” Bridget replied. “You’re home safe now and that’s all that matters. Help me with dinner.”

Okay, if you say so, but we’re not through with this conversation, Telara thought to herself.

Dinner was an uneventful feast of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, okra and apple pie, at least until a flurry of owls burst through the open window.

“Merlin’s beard!!” exclaimed Edward. “I haven’t seen this much owl activity since I put a Furnunculus curse on my brother when we were at Hogwarts. I’d never seen so many howlers at one time. I couldn’t even get them all open before they started exploding. It was worth it though!”

“Can we focus on the pile of letters in front of you?” chided Nana. She was all for reminiscing but she was very curious about the sudden appearance of so many urgent messages.

Bridget and Edward both took letters and opened them. Telara’s stomach lurched as she saw the color drain away from their faces. Edward looked up shakily from his letter.

“Telara, please go down to the library and start on your assignment,” he instructed.

“Are you two okay? What’s happening? I’m not going anywhere!” insisted Telara.

“Please, child, do as he says,” pleaded Bridget. “We will explain. Just give us some time.”

“Fine!” Telara shouted as she slammed her hands down on the scrubbed table. “Just remember that I’m not a little child anymore. And I’m not going to let this go!” She thundered down the stairs as disruptively as she could. When the kitchen was silent, Edward and Bridget looked at each other in stunned silence.

“We knew this might happen,” sighed Bridget.

“I just didn’t want to believe it would. She’ll have to go straight away to Dumbledore. He’s the only one who can prepare her now,” said Edward.

“I’ll pack her trunk,” offered Bridget though she didn’t get up from the table.




The next morning Telara sat bleary-eyed at the kitchen table. She wasn’t able to sleep well with the news that her Gramps and Nana had given to her the night before.

“You’re going back to England to attend Hogwarts,” Bridget announced.

“What? When was all of this decided? Why didn’t you ask me first?” demanded Telara.

“Dumbledore wants to train you there. There are so many things he can teach you that we can’t,” said Bridget. “We don’t have much choice in the matter. This is what is best. Please trust us.”

As Telara tried to force down some orange juice, Edward and Bridget timidly entered the room.

“When will Papadore be here?” asked Telara.

“Any time now,” answered Edward.

As if on cue, there was a loud pop and Albus Dumbledore was standing in the middle of the kitchen. Normally, Telara would have run up and thrown her arms around her godfather’s neck. Today, she crossed her arms, stuck out her bottom lip and sat resolutely in her chair.

“Now my dear,” said Dumbledore. “There is no need for dramatics. I expected you to be upset with me. Is there anything you want to ask before we go?”

Telara turned her head and started out the window at the lake and the red cliffs. How can he expect me to leave Nana, Gramps and this wonderful place? she thought.

“Telara?” persisted Dumbledore

“Why and Why now?” Telara managed to choke out.

Her miserable tone went straight to Dumbledore’s heart, “I know this will be hard for you. But we need you at Hogwarts.”

“You need me?” Telara repeated. “I don’t understand.”

“There is a war in the wizarding world and evil is threatening our very existence. You have a role to play in this. Like others in this battle, you are forced to follow a path that was laid out before you were born. In time, you will understand. You need to believe in me and believe in yourself. It is time for you to return home,” explained Dumbledore.

Telara looked into his eyes that usually held a twinkle just for her. Now those eyes were serious and intense. How could she refuse her Papadore? She took a deep breath and replied, “I do believe in you, Papadore. And I will go to Hogwarts as you ask. When are we leaving?”

“Now,” declared Dumbledore.