Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

In the Shadow of the Serpent by Scheherazade

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
November 28th, 1944
Thankfully with the little graduation ceremony I’m planning, I’m able to take my mind off Tom, the recently appointed Knight of Walpurgis.

Since then, he has been acting like he is a gift given to the school....

---

It had been a few weeks since that dream, but it was still fresh in her memory. Miriam never told her friends about it; it was just something she didn't want to bring up in conversation.

The excitement of the graduation was rather infectious, and seeing as there would be a Hogsmeade weekend coming up in December, the three friends decided to use this time to buy special dresses for the occasion. All the excitement about their upcoming graduation finally pushed the thoughts of Tom out of Miriam's memory.



December 12th, 1944
I saw something rather peculiar today in the library. As I was making the rounds with fifth year Hufflepuff Prefect Georgina Adams, I saw Tom leaning over the shoulder of a first year Slytherin boy. Georgina commented how it was nice to see us Head Boys and Girls take time to help the other students. But it was her next comment that startled me....

---

“But being a Slytherin, he’s probably teaching him some kind of Dark Art." Georgina laughed. Miriam managed a weak smile at her but turned away to watch Tom. There was no denying that he was helping the Slytherin boy, but as the boy lifted up the book, Miriam saw it had a strange skull imprinted in silver on the binding of the book. She had never seen a book like that before. Having been through the library numerous times for research, Miriam, for the most part, recognized many of the books within it. She was certain that that book must have come out of the Restricted Section.

Georgina had already gone down an aisle of books, so she didn’t notice the black book that Tom had out. Miriam glanced at Tom, and at that precise moment, he looked up. Their eyes met for the briefest of seconds before he slammed the black book shut (much to the annoyance of the first year Slytherin boy) and stuffed it into his book bag. He whispered something to the boy and hurried out of the library.



December 14th, 1944
Right now, we just got back from our trip to Hogsmeade to buy new dresses for graduation. It was awfully cold outside, so we went to Three Broomsticks afterward, and got some cups of hot butterbeer to warm ourselves up.

From the looks of it, we weren’t the only ones buying new dresses today. Libby McNair bragged to anyone who’d listen to her (what an arrogant prat she is) that she already brought a dress that cost her two-hundred galleons.....

---

It was a fiercely cold, snowy, and windy December day, so the students had to bundle up in layers to keep themselves warm.

With their scarves pulled up around their faces, they trudged through the snow-covered grounds, peering into the different store windows, when they finally came upon Gladrags. Miriam, Marcella, and Sophie walked through the front door as a harassed looking witch greeted them.

“I suppose you’re here to buy a dress for graduation?” she puffed.

The girls nodded eagerly as the witch flicked her wand at the tape measure, which began taking their measurements one-by-one. The witch walked into the back, and when she reemerged a few moments later, she was carrying an armful of differently colored dresses in her arms.

It took some time for the girls to sort through the dresses, but once they finished, they came out with a pretty pink dress for Sophie, a pale lavender dress for Marcella, and an attractive emerald green dress for Miriam.

As they sorted out the required amount of money to pay for them, the doorbell rang out, and the witch sighed heavily again.

“Are you with the Class of 1945 as well?” she called out. The person replied, his voice taking the girls by complete surprise. Tom Riddle had just entered the store, flanked by his followers, Carrey and Murdoch. Hurriedly the girls paid for their purchases before Tom could make his way over to them and spew any more of his derogative and snide remarks.



December 31st, 1944
A brand new year is almost upon us, and yet, it feels so strange without Professor Dumbledore here in the school. He’s somewhere out there, fighting the good fight against Grindelwald.... I sincerely hope he’s all right. No one can truly imagine the horror that Professor Dumbledore is facing at this very moment or how much bloodshed there has been and how many innocent lives have been lost forever because of it.

In the meantime, Professor Jameson is back taking his place here at the school....

---

Snow began falling heavily outside, blanketing the grounds in a sparkling white cover. Miriam was supposed to be studying for her NEWTs, but instead she found her mind wandering to the outside where the sun was trying to poke through the dark clouds. When the sun had finally managed to break through a small gap in clouds, its bright rays gave off an eerie red glow - an impression of a blood-streaked sky. Seeing it sent a chill up her spine.

In just a few hours it would be 1945 and the start of her very last term at Hogwarts. The thought made her feel nostalgic for those long, past seven years she spent here. It had all gone by in a blur.

Her thoughts traveled even further from her schoolwork, and she thought about what the summer would bring. Though she was now considered an adult in the wizarding world, she was still viewed as a minor in the Muggle world. The more she thought about it, the more she realized that a few measly months until her eighteenth birthday wouldn’t matter to Madam Westyn. It would be highly likely that Madam Westyn would probably kick her out the moment she got back that summer. But Miriam didn’t care, as she was planning on leaving the orphanage anyway be it early or not. Her plan was to get a job in the wizarding world and to never to look back on the injustice she had endured for so long at Madam Westyn’s hand.

The thought of finally leaving the orphanage made her smile.



January 13th, 1945
A most shocking, surprising, and completely astonishing thing was on the front page of The Daily Prophet today. In enormous bold letters were the words...”Grindelwald’s Dead!”

---

As she entered the Great Hall, there was a stillness there that was quite unnatural. Any time the Great Hall was this silently quiet, it generally meant that something bad must have happened. But Miriam was in for a surprise when she sat down at the Gryffindor table.

Finding a vacant spot next to Marcella, she looked over her friend and saw that some people already had a few copies of The Daily Prophet popped up against a jug or two. A few brown owls came swooping in, delivering more copes of the newspaper. When Miriam got her copy, she saw at once why everything in the Great Hall had become still and quiet. Right on the front of the newspaper and above the picture of a truly menacing figure with glowering red eyes, were the words: “Grindelwald’s Dead!”

She tore open her paper and began reading the article, as everyone else was doing.

“After many long and grueling years, Grindelwald is finally dead,” announced the wizard who brought about this most momentous occasion. Dumbledore and many other highly skilled witches, wizards, and Aurors helped to bring an end to Grindelwald’s reign of terror. But none so bravely fought as Dumbledore did. Dumbledore single-handedly defeated Grindelwald via an unnamed spell, but he unfortunately sustained some serious injuries in the process. He was most eager though to give this interview from his bed at St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. Interview with Dumbledore and crew follows on pages 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

Taking her attention away from the paper, she suddenly realized how loud the Great Hall had now gotten. People everywhere were bent over, whispering something to their neighbor. There were a few over at the Slytherin table who didn’t seem angry or happy, but rather neutral in their appearance. Tom was nowhere to be seen in the group of Slytherins, which surprised her. She scanned her eyes up and down the table, but he was simply not there. A sinking suspicion told her that he was somewhere with the now dead Dark Lord.

Miriam couldn’t help but feel relatively smug over the fact that Tom’s “mentor” got himself killed by Dumbledore, of all people. Smiling to herself, she turned back to the paper and continued to read the article over breakfast.



January 18th, 1945
The days since Grindelwald’s defeat have been nothing short of joyous, daylong and nightlong celebrations. Reports in The Daily Prophet have said that celebrations are becoming more extravagant and dangerous. At one festivity, someone was shooting off stars into the night sky, causing Muggles in the vicinity to become suspicious. A great deal of the celebrations had to be shut down for fear of exposing our world.

But it is absolutely wonderful to see the wizarding world so happy, when just months ago, there was little hope in anything.

The halls inside Hogwarts are nothing short of cheery as well. I was walking to Transfiguration class as I passed by a group of Hufflepuffs who were weeping with joy. Tom (who made his reappearance a few days ago) was emanating a quiet hate that could not be seen, only felt. Carrey and Murdoch were pretending to vomit as they passed by.

It simply is amazing how really immature they can be at times....

---

That day after classes, Professor Jameson announced that today they would be taking all the Seventh years pictures for a special book the school was putting together to “commemorate the rebirth of the wizarding world.” Needless to say, this announcement was met with looks of curiosity as some students tried to plug her for more information.

“Just be at the Great Hall after dinner,” she replied, smiling.

~*~

“Please everyone, line up!” yelled Professor Dippet, trying to make his voice heard over the noise of the students that were noisily milling around the Great Hall after dinner. Professor Jameson came out of an adjoining room and announced that it was time. Slowly the students lined up single file, and it was most unfortunate that Miriam got stuck behind Tom in line. Tom turned around and gave her his usual vindictive sneer, but she only rolled her eyes and turned her head just enough so she didn’t have to look at him. From her angle she could see the Ravenclaw girl ahead of Tom give him a flirty look, which he (much to Miriam’s annoyance and surprise) returned.

The minutes slowly dragged by and eventually Tom’s name was called... she would be called right after him.

~*~

Fifteen minutes later, Tom sauntered out of the room and glanced over at the Ravenclaw girl, who was now waiting by the entrance to the Great Hall. Much to Miriam’s dismay, she saw Tom give her a small wink.



January 19th, 1945
Something sincerely odd is going on with Tom lately. After classes today, I heard sobbing coming from a vacant classroom. I went to investigate, and to my surprise, I saw the last person I’d ever expect to see crying in a vacant classroom....

---

“Libby?” Miriam exclaimed in astonishment. Sitting cross-legged on the teachers desk was Libby MacNair, her hair in tangles, face shiny, and her nose large and red from blowing it so much. “What’s wrong?”

"He... he... he bro... broke up with me!” she sobbed.

“T - Tom?” Miriam asked, raising an eyebrow. “Tom broke up with you?”

Libby sobbed even louder, her make-up becoming even more smeared under her eyes. “He said he wanted some time alone.”

~*~

Once she finally calmed down the distraught Libby, Miriam left the classroom feeling rather peculiar. Tom and Libby had seemed so... close. So rather sickeningly close....

When things didn’t feel like they could get any weirder that day, she was in for a very rude awakening after classes were finished.

“Hey Miriam!” a drawling voice called out. Miriam looked up and saw Carrey Malfoy and Murdoch Black walking toward her down a passageway. Nothing good ever came from talking or being near them, and before they could react, Miriam drew her wand out and pointed it directly over them. Carrey stared at the wand for a moment and then up at Miriam.

“I just wanted to know if you’ve heard from your brother,” he inquired, his voice hinting at something of an emotion that was simply not normal to hear coming out of him.

“No, why?” she asked, still not bothering to move her wand from them.

“He’s been snubbing us lately,” Murdoch imparted, looking sullen at the thought.

“Tom and I haven’t been exactly on speaking terms recently,” Miriam answered, slightly lowering her wand. “I don’t know what has gotten into him lately.”

Carrey and Murdoch looked at one another and exchanged worried glances. Miriam knew what that look meant. It meant that Tom no longer wished to associate with them.

Finally lowering her wand the rest of the way, Carrey and Murdoch departed, leaving her even more perplexed. Why was he shoving away his only family (her); Libby, whom she thought he had might have liked; and now his friends Carrey and Murdoch? Why did he want to be so alone?

These questions swirled through her mind as she headed up to Gryffindor tower.



March 1945
I haven’t had the time lately to write. With our NEWTs approaching, the teachers are really burdening us with extra homework. My mind is almost frazzled... I completely forgot what today’s date is.

Right now I’m supposed to be working on my Potions finals - we’re supposed to be making a Blood-Replenishing Potion, on top of making a Calming Draught as well. Professor Panes told us to practice hard on them, as one of them will be required to pass the final exams. And whoever makes the potions well enough will garner extra credits with the examiners.

Sadly, I haven’t mastered any of those potions yet.

---

Meanwhile, her friends had almost successfully made a Calming Draught that day in Potions class. “I really need that extra credit,” Sophie mumbled to herself as she began preparing her second cauldron for making the Blood-Replenishing potion.

Sophie looked around at the class and at everyone who were furiously trying to make the potions correctly. At each table sat two cauldrons, one for each potion the students had to make. On the table next to her, slouching over and scribbling something on her parchment, was Miriam. Next to her was Marcella, who was trying not to gag over her failed attempt at the Blood-Replenishing potion - which was emitting a foul odor of dried blood. But the smell of it was nothing compared to the failed Calming Draught Miriam had made a few moments before. Forgetting to add a second quarter turn for every four turns of the ladle caused the potion to turn acidic green and smell like some kind of droppings that been left out too long in the sun.

Professor Panes raised his eyebrow as he cleared away the potion from her cauldron, leaving Miriam feeling rather embarrassed when he told her to try again. But it was nothing compared to Tom, who was sitting across the room, getting praised for "quick and accurate potion making" that Miriam was obviously lacking. Tom smirked at her with his look of superiority and causally watched her frantically trying hard not to screw up her second.

Tapping her cauldron with her wand, flames shot up from the bottom, and Miriam began to add the ingredients to make her Calming Draught again.

~*~

Forty-five minutes later - with another fifteen minutes to go before class ended - Professor Panes made everyone test their Calming Draught on their neighbors before turning them in to see if they made the potions correctly.

Tom's potion had passed Panes' inspection was not required to have his tested, much to Miriam's annoyance. "Let us see if any of you can make a better potion than Mr. Riddle here," he said, walking through the classroom and between the students.

Sophie bottled her some of her Calming Draught and handed it to Miriam, who was hurrting to try and finish her Blood-Replenishing potion before the last fifteen minutes were up. Hastily stirring her cauldron, she absentmindedly used the same ladle to pour some of the Calming Draught into her glass vial and handed it to Marcella.

Miriam began drinking some of Sophie's Calming Draught, soon forgetting her annoyance of perfect Tom as the draught began its relaxing effects on her. But that was soon shattered when she heard a slight gagging sound next to her.

Next to her, Marcella was hunched low over her desk, grabbing her throat with both hands. Some of the students began to scream as Marcella leaned up from her desk and Miriam and Sophie both gasped at what they saw: Blood was trickling down from Marcella's nose and mouth. She looked ashen and weak as Panes hurried over to her and quickly waved his wand over her. The trickle of blood stopped, but her face was already stained.

"She needs to go to the hospital wing," Panes announced as he lead the greatly weakened Marcella out. Tom slowly made his way over to his grief-stricken sister, who was going into shock.

Tom leaned over and whispered softly into her ear, "How does it feel to almost kill your best friend?"



March 15th, 1945
Sophie and I just left the hospital wing. Marcella will be fine after my careless accident in Potions class the other day. Because she had only ingested a little bit of the Blood-Replenishing potion, she'll suffer no ill effects from it. Because the spell creates more blood, Michellina had warned us that had she drank more of that potion, her capillaries and veins would have collapsed from the excess blood, and she would have bled to death internally.

How could I be so stupid? I was so worried with trying to finish my potion that I... oh... I was just too stupid to remember to clean my ladle....




April 7th, 1945
Since the last time I wrote, Marcella is back to full health. Thank all the powers that be that Michellina was able to cure her quickly.

Our poor, but very brave Transfiguration teacher, Dumbledore, still hasn’t come back to Hogwarts yet. According to The Daily Prophet, his injuries are more severe than first thought. Grindelwald really did some damage to him.

---

“What do you think happened?” Miriam asked in a hushed whisper, during Potions class that day.

“Well, you know that Grindelwald was a very powerful Dark wizard. He was known for using severe Dark magic that nobody's heard of before,” Sophie replied. “I’m sure the Healers at St. Mungo’s know what they’re doing and will do the best they can.”

Miriam gave her friend an it’s-been-a-good-few-months-how-much-longer look. Sophie understood the look clearly, but she shrugged. “We shouldn’t worry too much. I mean, what can three seventh years do about it?"

As much as she hated to admit it, her friend was right. “It’s just been taking a really long time,” Miriam mumbled.



April 21st, 1945,
Professor Dumbledore has arrived back here at Hogwarts! He arrived shortly before dinner, and I must say, he looks so different from when we last seen him. Though it has been a long few months, it looks as if years have been taken away from him. His once sparkling blue eyes seem quite dull and tormented, as if they have seen too much evil to ever regain their sparkle.

---

With a great deal of difficulty, Dumbledore walked with a slight limp down the long aisles of tables, occasionally nodding his head toward the students. The Great Hall was ignited by boisterous applause; even a few Slytherins (to Miriam's surprise) were applauding for Dumbledore. He made his way toward the teacher’s table and sat down in a chair that had been conjured for him. He sat serenely between Professor Panes and Professor Ambley - both of whom had nodded their heads in an appreciative manner to the man who destroyed a great evil threat in their world.

Dippet stood up at once and addressed the school. This time, the Hall was ready to listen to him, as all ears paid close attention to his announcement.

~*~

When his speech was over with, food began to appear on the plates. Though she was very hungry, Miriam didn’t look at the food. Instead, she watched the staff table with great interest. Professor Dumbledore grabbed a small amount of food and merely picked at it for much of the evening. Food didn’t seem to hold the same interest for him that it once had.