Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Sirius Black . . . Babysitter Extraordinaire?! by Scheherazade

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"Trust me!" Sirius said, laughing. "I think I can take care of my own godson!"
Lily looked at James and sighed. "I know you can take care of him, Sirius, but a weekend without my widdle baby, Harry, will make Mummy go crazy...," she cooed, making Harry gurgle and laugh.

"How hard can it be to watch him for the weekend? Especially since you two need to go on a much needed vacation, I dare say!" Sirius replied.

"Just be careful," Lily responded as she kissed baby Harry on his head. "Be good for Unkie Sirius."
Harry replied to this by gurgling and drooling.

"There's a list of numbers on the side of the refrigerator and if the slightest thing goes wrong, please call me right away!"

"C'mon Lily," James said, rolling his eyes and trying not to laugh. "Let's go. We want to Disapparate before the sun goes down."

"I'm rushing, I'm rushing, so hold your horses," Lily snapped.
James sighed as Lily kissed Harry on his head again then handed him gently over to Sirius.

"Have fun on your trip!" Sirius exclaimed.

"Oh, we will," assured James as he picked up the suitcases and proceeded out the door. Once they left, Sirius faced baby
Harry and said, "Well, it's just you and I now!"

"Gluurrrg." Baby Harry spit-up on Sirius's new robes.

"Ugh. I can see we're going to be in for a long weekend."


Mumbling just how disgusting that little incident was, Sirius took little Harry back to the bedroom and sat him down on
the bed so that he could change his shirt. Harry pouted and stared up at him with adorable green eyes.

"Okay, okay!" said Sirius quickly, deciding to wave his wand over the robes to clean them. "Just give me a second, all right? Please? These things are brand new..."

He changed as swiftly as possible and picked up Harry again, carrying him to the kitchen, patting the baby gently on the back.
On the way there, Sirius was quite terrified when he heard Harry make another one of those "Gluurrrg" noises.

"What--again?" he said, pouting some himself.
Harry, who was giggling, had spit-up on him again.

"I know you did that one on purpose," said Sirius, raising an eyebrow. Yet, he couldn't help but smile slightly.

Sirius, who considered himself quite the intelligent person, was sure this weekend of babysitting would be a piece of cake. After all, how hard was it to keep up with one itty bitty baby? He had no idea that he'd be eating his words in the record-breaking speed of an hour.

It was nearing baby Harry's feeding time and Lily had supplied a Muggle highchair to aid in feeding him. Sirius carefully placed a bib on Harry and opened up a jar of baby food that smelled strongly of dog food. Shaking his head,
he read the label: "Turkey and Vegetables."
Sirius scrunched up his nose as he lifted the spoon to Harry's mouth. "Open for the doggy food," he said sweetly, smiling. Harry did so, obviously enjoying the taste.

This is easy, Sirius thought triumphantly. Maybe this baby thing won't be so bad after all!

Achoo!

Little Harry had suddenly sneezed, spraying that wonderful "food" onto Sirius's face. Sirius froze, his face oddly contorted as he blinked and said sarcastically, "Thanks, a lot, Harry."
Harry cooed, food dripping from his chin.

Grabbing a towel from the table, he wiped Harry's chin and his face off and sighed. Looking at the vile food in his hands,
he breathed deep and again tried to get the food to Harry's mouth and silently prayed that no more would plaster his face. Once the spoon was mere inches away from Harry's mouth, the telephone rang out, startling Sirius and causing the spoon to fall from his hand and land on the floor with a crash.

"Bloody hell," he muttered as got up and went to find the source of the noise.
Harry giggled, thoroughly enjoying this little
mealtime mishap.

The ringing continued and Sirius was beginning to worry that maybe someone had broken into the house and tripped the alarm James had warned him about. He searched around the kitchen, his eyes finally falling upon the telephone.

Ahhh, he thought. James told me about this fellyphone thing.
He picked up the receiver, and though still unsure of how it worked, he screamed "HELLO?!"
A female's voice shouted back. "Sirius! What's going on?! This has been ringing for FIVE MINUTES!"
"I... I," he stuttered, unsure where to begin.

Luckily he heard James' voice calling out in the background, "Honey, we haven't been gone more than two hours! Surely he couldn't have blown up the house!"
"Really, James!" Lily admonished.
Sirius had to let out a laugh. "Harry and I and the house are fine! I was in the middle of feeding him when you called."

Once he got off the phone with Lily, Sirius turned around and looked at Harry, whose bottom lip was starting to quiver, apparently on the verge of tears.
"What's wrong?" he asked, lifting Harry out of his highchair.

It was then that the most putrid and horrific smell met his nose, much more horrid than the baby food. He wrinkled his nose as a sickening thought entered his head when herealized what it was.

Oh, dear Merlin! he thought, his eyes widening slightly. This is bloody disgusting, he mused.