Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Closer Than I Ever Imagined by 3secondfish

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

After hearing Draco’s name, Hermione’s first thought was “What?!” The rest of her thoughts were replaced by a blank buzzing noise as her brain tried to assimilate this new information. She felt a bit wobbly as she started towards the cushions. The man she had guessed to be an Auror, who she now knew to be the King of Slytherin, got up to follow her. Professor Marchbanks, noticing nothing odd, continued calling names from her parchment. As Hermione arrived at the mats, she mentally shook herself. The other pairs of students were queuing up behind her. It was time to concentrate on the task at hand. Draco was going through a mental gear shift similar to Hermione’s. He had seen a pretty, if rather prim-looking, witch as he came into the classroom. Though he had a nagging feeling that she was familiar in some way, he couldn’t place her. Her serious, but earnest, countenance made her look as if might belong to the Muggle-Worthy Excuse Committee; she might be quite convincing to a distressed muggle. Or perhaps he had seen her at that retirement party for Perkins last month. A lot of deferential young assistants had been there to see him off. When Professor Marchbanks had arrived and begun the class, he had not yet properly sorted her out in his mind. Though his Auror’s training had kept his face from showing it, he was shocked when his name was called with Granger’s. Now he was about to be face-to-face with the celebrated Hermione. Her prowess was legendary at Hogwarts. The hex she placed on Marietta Edgecomb in fifth year was particularly stunning; Draco doubted if Marietta would ever again appear in public without a balaclava. Draco was beginning to get apprehensive about facing the powerful young witch until he realized that he was considered to be a match for Hermione. Though his face still looked bored, he began to smirk inwardly. This was going to be fun after all. “Have you all found your partners?” asked Professor Marchbanks crisply. “Good, let’s begin then,” she said to the nodding students. “Mr. Binks and Mrs. Tanager, please step over here on the mats. No, these over here, they’re rather thicker and you’ll appreciate the padding.” The witch from Apparition Testing and a short, burly wizard from Magical Games and Sports stepped up onto the puffy blue mats that had been indicated. “Now face each other, wands at the ready,” instructed Professor Marchbanks. Mrs. Tanager and Mr. Binks dutifully squared off and raised their wands. “First, Mrs. Tanager will make the attempt. Don’t forget to use your Occlumency, Mr. Binks!” she reminded. The small witch jabbed with her wand and shouted, “Legilimens!” Mr. Binks, caught off-guard by the fervor of the spell, looked shocked and fell over. Mrs. Tanager raised her eyebrow at him, regarding him with a little exasperation. That new game that was being invented in his department would shortly be causing hers a lot of extra work. “Very good!” praised Professor Marchbanks. She flicked her wand and levitated Mr. Binks onto a pile of squashy cushions to recover. “Next pair, please!” Hermione watched a bit nervously as the other pairs practiced. Although he was now a colleague, she still remembered all the grief he had caused her when they were at school. While Draco was absorbed in watching their classmates being struck unconscious, she looked at him appraisingly. Everybody knew that Draco had studied the Dark Arts extensively on his own. There were whispers that he might have surpassed even Professor Snape. Well, if he’s an Auror now, the Ministry must see something in him, she thought. Despite the Ministry’s seal of approval, she still didn’t trust him. Her attention was abruptly diverted as she heard Professor Marchbanks calling them forward. Now that she was up close to him, she saw that Draco was taller than she remembered, and his frame had filled out since they’d been in school. Fleetingly, it crossed her mind that if she was a Death Eater on the run, she’d be pretty intimidated. He looked imperious, cold and professional. She knew that she looked a bit like a librarian who had been dragged through a hedge; it was certainly not the look she would have chosen if she had known she would be facing off against Malfoy. She faced him on the mat, and raised her wand, resolute that he wouldn’t be rifling through her memories. Concentrating fiercely on repelling Draco, she was no longer listening to Professor Marchbanks’ instructions. Draco looked confidently across the mat at Hermione. Draco was one of the best Aurors the Ministry ever had. For him, dueling was a way of life and he rarely came off the worst. Granger might have been the top witch in school, but now she looked as if she had merely been pushing parchment for quite a while. He idly wondered if she still knew how to use the wand clutched in her shaking hand. He lazily raised his wand. Professor Marchbanks’ voice was blocked out of his thoughts. All of his attention was focused on his opponent. They stared tensely at each other. Then, without warning, Draco slashed his wand towards Hermione and shouted the incantation. Also intending to take the offensive, Hermione had likewise attacked Draco. As their spells collided, there was a burst of dazzling silver light and a loud CRACK as they were thrown backwards to opposite ends of the room where they lay quite still. There was a loud collective gasp from the rest of the class. Professor Marchbanks regarded her sprawled out students with resignation. With a small shake of her head, she muttered audibly, “Well, that’s what happens when you forget your Occlumency.” A/N: *This* is why it's so important to follow instructions. Please review!

Another A/N: I can't post more until the queue opens again next week *sigh*, but I have *four* more chapters just about ready to go. Stay tuned!