Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Closer Than I Ever Imagined by 3secondfish

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +


“You’re what?” said Draco quietly. He desperately hoped he had misheard. “Your partner,” Hermione reiterated, speaking slowly and clearly. “So I suppose that makes me an Auror, as well. My supervisor spoke to yours, and they felt that I had enough experience to go with you into the field. They also felt you would be happier than if they had you testing charms with me.” She raised an eyebrow as if to say, Well, that is what you want, isn’t it? Draco stared stupidly at his new partner. His job was supposed to be glamorous, filled with danger and excitement, yet still allowing one to be home on time for tea. It didn't have a partner in the job description. Partner? She looked so earnest and innocent, like a child playing dress-up. However well her new uniform fit, it looked too big for her. The world has gone mad, he thought to himself. He realized that he must look like a fish, standing there gaping, lost in his own thoughts. Mentally, he shook himself and reassembled the cool exterior he was known for. “Brilliant! Congratulations, Hermione!” said Tonks enthusiastically. “I always thought you ought to give up the desk job in favor of one with a bit more challenge. Definitely too much talent to be stuck indoors. You’ll watch my cousin, for me, will you? He’s got a knack for finding trouble.” Tonks winked broadly at Hermione. “I’m sure she’ll take good care of us both, Nymphadora,” said Draco icily. “Don’t you have something to do?” He noticed he was clenching his fists, and forced himself to relax. “Probably,” she replied airily. “Bet you do, too. I noticed you had a new scroll in your in-box, this morning.” She made a show of waving good-bye, adding, “Must be off! Have fun, kids!” Draco restrained himself from making a rude gesture at her back. Tonks could be extremely annoying at the best of times, and he was in no mood for it. Finding the pigeon-hole that served as his in-box, he removed the scroll that had rested within. He noticed that ‘H. Granger’ had been stenciled below his own name. The scroll contained something official-sounding about Granger being formally reassigned to Magical Law Enforcement. He skimmed past it; by now it was old news. Near the bottom, he found what he was looking for. “Hey, Granger!” he called. “Up for some fun?” “We’ve got an assignment already?” She was practically jumping with excitement. “What is it?” “Routine patrol,” said Draco with a grin of pure evil. “Vampires.” * * * The darkness was gathering about them as they arrived in an alleyway in one of the more sinister districts of London. There was a sense that those who had unwisely wandered these streets might never have returned from its blighted corridors. Despite the uncheerful surroundings, the district did have a flourishing nightlife, populated by a motley mixture of disaffected young muggles, wearing black clothes and heavy make-up. Hermione was surprised at how well they fit in with the crowd. With their long dark cloaks, they actually appeared to be rather fashionable. Draco moved effortlessly through the crowd, with his commanding presence and serpentine grace. Hermione was having rather more trouble navigating the crowded nightclub, and found she had to use her elbows to keep up with Draco’s longer stride. “There she is,” said Draco, almost to himself. As she peered at the throng of pallid faces, Hermione couldn’t tell which person Draco had singled out. “Where?” “Just follow me,” he said over his shoulder. “I’ll introduce you. Keep you wand up your sleeve, and your wits about you. If it comes to a fight, you’ll be able to flick your wand into your hand,” he drawled. Sparing a backward glance, he saw she was already looking a bit out of her depth. He wondered idly if she would be up to the task at hand. Too late now, he thought. Hermione followed behind him as he reached a small knot of admirers who crowded around what had to be the most stunning woman she had ever seen. She had a pale lithe body, and wore a strapless satin gown that appeared molded on to it. Her long dark hair cascaded smoothly down her back. When she leaned forward into the lamplight, it shone a deep blood red. He caught her deep green eyes. “Esmeralda,” he breathed, as she turned toward him with a smouldering look. “How delightful to see you, Draco,” she purred in a slow, heavy accent. Taking his proffered hands, she spoke to her admiring entourage. “You vill excuse us,” she said; it was not a question. She put her arm around his waist as they moved to a more secluded area. Esmeralda then noticed Hermione, and asked “And who is your little friend?” Leaning closer, she whispered, “I thought you vorked alone?” She raised a questioning eyebrow. “Usually, but circumstances have changed,” he drawled. “This is Hermione Granger; she will be working with me until they change again. Shall we dance?” he asked as she entwined herself in his body. She smiled with glittering teeth. “It vould be my greatest pleasure.” * * * Hermione was starting to feel a bit put out. Draco obviously knew this woman, and knew her well, judging by the way she appeared to be about to climb inside his jumpsuit. She was annoyed at Draco for abandoning her in favor of a tête-à-tête with that red-haired minx, while she was left to her own devices. What were they supposed to be doing here, anyway? Her internal tirade was interrupted by one of the woman’s admirers approaching, a tall man with dark hair, and severe features. Would she like a drink, he asked. Feeling rebellious, she accepted. * * * “So, vhat brings you to my neck of the voods?” asked Esmeralda mischievously, as they swayed together on the dance floor. “I was informed by my superiors that certain vampires were making nuisances of themselves in muggle London,” he drawled, “So, I have come here to investigate these allegations. I trust you are not one of them?” “Of course not!” Esmeralda looked at Draco askance. “Vell,” she amended, “not very much. A tiny taste, now and then; vould you deny me that?” she pouted. “Vhile the blood potions your Ministry provides are qvite nutritious, they are not nearly so tasty as the real thing,” she grinned, showing a tiny glint of fang. “And here, the muggles enjoy their play-acting so much, that we pass qvite unnoticed.” “So long as you’re not drawing attention to yourself when you ‘take a sip’,” said Draco, “and definitely not sharing any of you own,” he added imperiously. “I would hate,” said Draco coolly, “to have to run you through with a stake.” “As vould I,” replied Esmeralda, bored. This was territory they had covered before. “But vhere is your young lady?” she asked changing the subject. “I assure you that I am not the only vampyre who enjoys the nightclubs. And she seems such a tender young lamb.” Draco silently agreed with Esmeralda on both points. Why did Granger have to make him go to all this trouble? Was he supposed to be a baby minder while she played Auror? Esmeralda blew him a kiss as she walked back to the admirers whom Draco knew to be her source of the ‘little sips’ she liked so well. It was difficult to spot Hermione in the dark club; Draco was beginning to worry. Nearly everyone was wearing the same sort of dark clothing that they did. Finally, he found her at a small table in a distant corner of the club. She was speaking in a low dreamy voice to a pale man with black, shoulder-length hair and heavy brows. He was gazing into her eyes with great intensity, and his fingers were twining in her curly hair as she leaned over the table. Draco walked up behind the man, placing a hand on his shoulder. “She’s with me, Niklos,” said Draco quietly.


A/N: Oooh, Draco's talking tough here . . . where's this going to go? ;) Also, if you've seen Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula, that's the sort of accent you should be hearing in your head for Esmeralda. Besides the reviews, I've gotten a few emails of appreciation, i.e. fan letters! How cool is that? You are reading and reviewing, right? Well, when you get to it, would you guys mind telling me what country you're from, along with it? Just curious . . .