Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Git in Shining Armor by juniorauthor

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I cannot believe it took nearly a year to finish this story. I guess part of me didn't realy want to finish it to be over, but that's not fair to you guys, is it? Anyway, I hope you enjoy this final chapter.
Ron awoke to find himself shrouded in darkness. Waking, he supposed, was not an entirely accurate way of putting it—you can’t wake up once you’re dead, now, can you? Terminology aside, rational thoughts were forming in his mind, echoing around in the dark abyss.
Where the bloody hell am I?

And why is it so da—


He boy recoiled as everything came rushing back to him in a surge of memories rich in sound and color. He saw himself berating the bartender, demanding that he let him upstairs to talk to Hermione; the girl’s face swam before his mind’s eye, first frustrated and tearstained, then apologetic and anxious, and finally, horror-struck. Ron could hear Viktor’s heavily accented voice snarling the killing curse. The sound of Hermione shouting his name as he held her was still echoing in his ears as he thought,
So that’s it, then. I’m dead.

Death wasn’t so bad, he supposed. At least it didn’t hurt. Except… it did. It hurt not knowing whether Hermione had made it out or not, whether she had gotten away from the berserk Bulgarian. And it hurt knowing that he would never be able to tell her… anything, anymore.

The old saying ‘hindsight is twenty-twenty’ came to mind as a horrific thought struck him; what if, by clutching the girl so closely to him, Ron had hindered her ability to slip away? What if, frozen in instantaneous death, Hermione hadn’t been able to wriggle out of his lifeless arms, or to raise her wand in defense against Viktor? And if rigor mortis hadn’t paralyzed him, what if the dead weight of his body had knocked the brunette off balance and pinned her to the ground, leaving her helpless as a the Death Eater did his master’s bidding? Or, what if--?

He stopped mid-thought, a spasm of pain shooting through his head. He had thought too soon: apparently, being dead did hurt. Like hell.

Ron cried out into the nothingness, his voice laden with pain of two varieties. A kind of muffled laughter filled his mind, as if the darkness itself was mocking him. He wished he had had time to say goodbye. To his mum, his father; Ginny and the twins; to Harry… The truth was, he did have a chance to say his goodbyes to Hermione, but no. He had to go and waste his breath on the three most meaningless words in existence. Not that he regretted it. If given the chance to “rescue” Hermione again, he wouldn’t have done anything different. Actually saying the words to her had been a release of sorts, a relief, and he knew that he would despise himself if he hadn’t said it at all.

His only regrets were that he hadn’t said it sooner, and that he hadn’t had the foresight to shove Hermione out of the way instead of locking her in a death grip.

Ron clenched his teeth as another jolt of pained seemed to shoot through his head. He cursed violently, and the darkness mocked him once more.

How can you be so insensitive? a familiar voice chimed.

It figures, Ron thought; even in death, Hermione was there to scold his language. Ron knew it was merely a hallucination, a surfacing memory, perhaps. Merlin knew how many times Ron had heard those very same words in the last six years. The darkness mumbled something back to the girl. Although the redhead couldn’t quite make out the words, he thought that maybe the darkness—or whatever lay behind it, for did darkness alone have a voice in death?—was mocking the hallucination. His guess was confirmed as the Hermione-hallucination spoke for a second time, this time sounding flustered, and perhaps even embarrassed.

I’ve had enough of you. I can’t take this—just… go... Her voice sounded closer now, clearer. Tentatively, Ron spoke into the darkness. “…Hermione?”

There was a startled pause, and an even more startled reply. “Ron?”

“You’re here, too?” At first, Ron had been delighted by the response—he hadn’t thought he’d ever be able to truly hear the brown-eyed girl’s voice again—but then dread washed over him like an ice cold shower.

“Only because of you,” the girl replied softly.

There was not even a trace of accusation in her voice, but Ron felt guilt press in on him like the suffocating darkness they were shrouded in. He cursed again, and it seemed each time he did, the words got a bit cruder. “Oh, bloody hell, Hermione. I’m—I’m sorry. It was my fault, I shouldn’t have—If I had been thinking--”

“I wouldn’t be here.”

“I know! I know… that’s why I’m so… sorry… Maybe if I had just…” He felt Hermione take his hand, and this time the jolt of pain didn’t pass through his head, but through his heart. They were so close! She was right next to him, figuratively, anyway, and the darkness was so heavy that he couldn’t even see her. He could touch her, and hear her breathing, but he couldn’t see her.

“Hush,” she whispered. “You’re getting worked up, and that can’t be good. There’s nothing to worry about, everything’s f--”

“Everything is not ‘fine’!” he insisted feverishly, shaking his head violently. The familiar sensation—the one that suggested that his brain was trying to force its way out of his skull—returned, but he didn’t care. “Are you mental? Don’t you realize? The darkness, the pain—you’re dead, Hermione. Dead. That is most certainly not ‘fine’.”

The young girl couldn’t keep puzzlement out of her voice. “But, I’m not dead.”

Denial, Ron thought, Bless her, the woman’s in denial. “But you must be, because you’re here, talking to me. And… I am, so… Hermione. Try to remember. After Krum… got me, what happened after that? ” Hermione was silent for a long moment, but Ron knew she was still there; he could hear her breathing, still felt her hand in his. “You remember, don’t you?” he said after a minute, his voice gentle and patient. “See?” More silence as she squeezed his hand a bit tighter. “I’m sorry, Hermione.”

There might have been a hint of a chuckle in her voice when Hermione said, “Open your eyes, Ron.”

“…What?”

“Open your eyes.”

He hesitated, and Hermione whispered the command again. Not seeing what good it would do when all he was going to see was more darkness, even if somehow he did manage to ‘open his eyes’, he humored the brown eyed girl, and tentatively lifted his left eyelid. It was a strenuous task; it felt like his lashes were made of lead, and the effort sent a faint, pulsing pain across his brow that made him cringe.

But it was worth it to see Hermione’s eyes staring back at him. “Hermione!” He made to sit up, but the bushy-haired girl placed a gentle hand on his chest, shaking her head and grinning.

“Not so fast,” she said, sitting back down on the side of the sterile-white hospital bed. “They just got your head to stop bleeding; keep on like that and you’ll get it going again.”

Ron stared around at the room, recognizing it as one of many in St. Mungo’s. He appeared to have the room to himself; the bed to his left was empty, at least, and the sheets looked as if they hadn’t been disturbed in ages. Off to the right were a set of matching chairs that had been pulled together a few feet from his bed, tilted at an angle so that whomever sat in them could see the others as well as the bed’s occupant. The bright light streaming in from the open window made his eyes ache, but the pain was welcome, because the unrelenting darkness was gone. Ron felt achy all over, particularly above his left eye and in the back of his head. “But… I thought… What the bloody hell just happened?” Ron used his elbows to hoist himself into a sitting position, going slow upon Hermione’s request. The effort made him dizzy. “No one’s ever lived through a killing curse—save for Harry, of course…. But that was different. I’m supposed to be dead, aren’t I?”

The girl averted her gaze, wringing her hands in her lap. “Yes, and no. It depends on how you look at it.” She chanced a glance up at the freckled lad in time to see uncertainty flash across his features. With a sigh, Hermione rearranged herself on the bed so that she could see him better. “If things had gone as Viktor planed, you—and I, most likely—would be dead.”

Ron blinked at her some more, having no clue where Hermione was getting at. His head hurt too much at the moment, or else he would have told her so.

“And up until a moment or so after you grabbed me, things were doing just that. I thought for sure that… that the spell had hit its mark,” she explained, struggling to keep her voice from cracking. “All I could see was green for an instant, and then you collapsed. I thought…” Hermione blinked at him for a second as she struggled with words and fought the tears brimming in her eyes. An instant later, she had her elbows resting on her knees and her head in her hands.

Horrified, Ron stared at the girl, wondering what he had done this time. “Hermione…?”

“I don’t know what I would have done, Ron…” she began, tearing her gaze away from his to stare at the floor. “If… if you had…”

“Died?” twin voices finished for her, their tones remarkably more chipper and cheerful than the girl’s. The sorrow in her eyes quickly changing to annoyance and incredulity.

George turned one of the chairs around and straddled it backwards, crossing his arms on the back and resting his chin. “Oh, yes. That would have been dreadful. Absolutely dreadful.”

“I can’t imagine the tizzy mum would be in if you had kicked the bucket, mate,” Fred piped up. “And the rest of us would have been choked up, too, of course.”

“Some of us more than others,” George added with a mischievous glance at Hermione. She returned his glance with a fiendish glare that might have made three-year-olds cry, but instead provoked chuckles and grins from the stocky teens. “Chipper up, Hermione. Alls well that ends well, right?”

“But what if it hadn’t ended well?” Hermione growled at the twins. “You’re brother—how can you be so—so…” Ron reached for her hand, but she stood up, suddenly filled with restless energy.

“Even if Dad hadn’t been there, Hermione, and Krum had hit his mark—at least Ron would have died a hero! That’s a right sight better than dying a git, I say,” Fred replied simply.

“How can you be so inconsiderate?” For a moment, Ron rather thought Hermione was going to smack his brother right across the face. Instead, Hermione turned on her heel and stalked out of the room, only pausing to cast a teary, almost apologetic glance back at Ron before she disappeared down the hall.

“Brilliant,” the weary redhead muttered, leaning back on his pillows.

Earnestly, George offered, “It was for the best, really. The woman needs a good cry by herself.”

“You should have been awake an hour ago,” Fred interjected. “Hermione was positively having kittens, she was. It was scary, actually. Never cried, just leaned against the wall, staring at you, looking ghastly. Ginny said she’d rather see Hermione cry than look like that again.”

“We tried to cheer her up—you were only knocked out, after all, and the Healers had given you the right-o. But she got all defensive and told us to clear out.”

“Why are you telling me this? Is it supposed to make me feel better? Because its not.”

“Well, no. I suppose knowing you’ve made someone miserable isn’t exactly a Cheering Charm. Actually, we came to talk about that pretty little necklace of yours,” George replied casually, unsurprised by the expression of alarm that crossed his little brother’s freckled face.

He’d forgotten all about the necklace; finding out you’re not actually dead and watching your best friend march out of the room nearly in tears can do that to a person. But, he found himself thinking that the necklace didn’t matter much to him anymore. There were more important things in life. Like…life, and the people with whom you share it. Heaving a sigh, he muttered, “It’s gone. Fell out my pocket when I tackled Viktor. But it’s not a big deal, really…”

“Ah, but it isn’t lost. Dad found it. He thought it was Hermione’s at first. Still does,” Fred assured his little brother, grinning as alarm changed from relief and back to alarm on the boy’s face.

Ron opened his mouth to ask another question, but the other twin held up a freckled hand to silence him, knowing exactly what he was going to ask. “She hasn’t a clue; we told him we’d make sure the pretty little trinket got to its owner safely before he could give it to her.”

A Healer walked by the door, poking her head in briefly to see if everything was all right; Ron told her everything was excellent, and declined a pain-killing potion. When the blonde was gone, he asked the twins, “You said dad found it? But… what was dad doing at the Leaky Cauldron?” His gaze was drawn to the door again as Ginny walked in, tentative at first, but then with a spring in her step when she saw Ron was up.

The girl bent to give her brother a brief hug. “Finally!” she gasped, grinning. “You had us worried something awful, mum especially. Dad’s in with her now. We’re supposed to wait here until someone calls.”

“Until someone calls…? About what?”

Ginny turned to look sharply at Fred and George. “He still doesn’t know?”

“Know what?” Ron demanded.

The twins shrugged. “We haven’t gotten around to telling him, yet,” Fred muttered to his little sister.

“ Gotten around to telling me what?”

“I can’t believe you haven’t told him!” Ginny exclaimed in amazement.

George stood, stretching nonchalantly. “We’ve been tying up some loose ends, Ginny. The subject hasn’t gotten round to mum as of yet. Well, now it has, but that’s beside the point.”

Panic seized Ron yet again. He felt as if he might explode, with so many questions rushing through his mind like river rapids, most of them pertaining to the two most important women in his life; his mother, of course, and Hermione. “What’s wrong with mum?” And Hermione, what’s wrong with her? Whatever happened to Viktor? What was dad doing at the Leaky Cauldron—and why the bloody hell aren’t I dead?!

“Mum isn’t ‘beside the point’, she is the point! What could possibly be more important than--” George whipped the silver pendant out of his pocket and held it before his sister. Ginny stared at it for a minute, watching the trinket wind and unwind itself on the chain. “Oh… You haven’t given it to her yet?” the freckled girl asked suddenly, turning her incredulous gaze on Ron instead of the twins. She took the necklace from George and dropped it into Ron’s outstretched palm.

“Well, I… I was a bit busy, see, Krum being a Death Eater and wanting to blast us to bits and whatnot…” Ron mumbled, his voice dripping with frustration.

Ginny recoiled at his tone, eyebrows raised. “Sorry! I just assumed you must have, given the circumstances.”

“Circumstances?” he growled. He would have shouted if his head didn’t pound with every syllable. “You know what—I don’t care about the circumstances! Will somebody just answer my question?”

“Nothing is wrong with your mother,” Hermione answered abruptly, startling every Weasley in the room. She seemed to have regained her composure, and color had returned to her face. Even her eyes seemed clearer. “Mrs. Weasley’s perfectly fine. A bit tired, but that’s to be expected when one is attempting to bring new life into the world.”

Ron blinked at Hermione, not understanding what she was saying. “…what?”

“You know how odd your mum’s been acting lately? Her moods… odd cravings… the ‘weight’ she’s put on? That wasn’t stress,” Hermione asserted, striding into the room. “She was pregnant, Ron. Your mum is going to have a baby.”

Ginny, Fred, and George tore their stares from Hermione’s face to watch Ron’s reaction. After a moment of silence, he cleared his throat and asked in a slightly higher tone than usual, “How the bloody hell did that happen?”

A devilish grin formed on Fred’s face. “Well, you see, little brother, when two people really love each other…”

“Shut up!” Ron spat, his ears growing red. “But… I mean…. Oh, this day just keeps getting better and better…” He leaned back on his pillows, throwing the necklace upon the bedspread so that his hands were free to scrub his face. “She’s doing okay, though, right? There aren’t any…?”

“Complications?” the brunette offered with a thin smile. “No, she’s doing brilliant. Your dad’s a bit worse for wear, actually. But Mrs. Weasley’s fine. Just fine.”

“Is it a boy or a girl, do you know?” Ginny asked.

Hermione shrugged, sitting on the edge of Ron’s bed again. “Not yet. I don’t think it’ll be much longer, though… What is that?” she added, motioning with her hand to the end of the bed.

“Hunh?” Ron opened his eyes and peered through the gaps in his fingers at Hermione. “What’s what?” To his right, Ginny was making an odd noise with her throat, somewhere between a hiss and a hum.

“Oh, wow,” he heard Hermione breath, and he lowered his gaze to see her fingering the silver chain at the foot of the bed.

“Oh, no,” Ginny whispered, followed by curses from the twins and Ron’s, “Bloody hell.” His hands slid slowly down his face and chest to rest limp at his sides, and he could feel color start rising in his cheeks and ears. “Hermione, I can explain…”

“Explain what?” she asked, looking up from the necklace to stare curiously at Ron.

“That it’s mine!” George said suddenly, and the eyes that were previously planted on Ron flicked to him.

Hermione was rolling the trinket in her fingers now. “It is?”

“It is?” Ginny echoed, looking at her brother with an air of distrust.

George comfirmed the fact with a hearty nod. “It is, yes.”

Sitting on the hospital bed, the freckled boy couldn’t believe his ears. Was this the second or third time the twins had tried to cover for him in the last few days? Watching a story effortlessly take shape behind George’s eyes, Ron decided that enough was enough. No more lies. “No, it’s not. The necklace, it doesn’t belong to George.”

Fred laughed, and punched his twin lightly in the arm. “Of course, not when one is speaking technically. Technically, it belongs to Katie Bell. We nipped out to Hogsmeade yesterday, and Forge saw that pretty little thing in a shop window and knew he had to have it. That is to say, he knew Katie had to have it. Not him.”

“How sweet,” the brown-haired girl replied with a grin.

Fred nodded, glancing at his brother with convincing scorn. “Painfully so.”

Ron shook his head and said, almost inaudibly, “Guys, it’s alright. You can stop.”

“I was never so ‘cute’ with Angelina,” Fred went on, “ I don’t see why he has to be so… gentleman-like. It’s nauseating.”

“Fred…” the younger lad called warningly.

George rounded on his brother, what looked to be sincere color rising in his freckled cheeks. “Maybe that’s why you lot broke it off two months into the game!” he spat accusingly.

“George…”

“It was three months, thank you very much!” Fred snapped.

“Oh-ho, one month! Big difference.”

“Ginny!” Ron hissed. The girls were watching the twins with mingled amusement and exasperation, but Ginny managed to look away long enough to catch Ron’s pleading stare. With a nod, she pushed herself off the wall and grabbed her brothers by the arm.

“Come on, you two can make a scene in the waiting room,” she said, sounding like a kindergarten teacher trying to get the class ready for naptime. The twins kept bickering as Ginny tugged them out the door and down the hall, only quieting down when the fiery girl shouted at them to shut up.

“It’s mine,” Ron said with a small cringe.

“Pardon?”

“The necklace, it isn’t George’s… or Katie’s. It belongs to me.”

Hermione blinked at him. “But then, why would George say it was--”

“They were trying to help me. And that whole, yellow-tongue disease thing, that was a lie, too.”

“You’re kidding!”

The sarcasm in Hermione’s voice startled him. He looked up, relieved to see that she was smiling. Heartened, Ron allowed a smile of his own to cross his freckled features, and tentatively took the girl’s hand. “Hermione. I need to tell you something….”





Bulgaria’s Star Seeker Behind Bars


This morning Bulgaria’s own Viktor Krum, star Quidditch player and former Tri-Wizard Champion for Durmstrang, was apprehended by the Ministry on accusations of working and conspiring in accordance with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named himself. He will be charged in due course for attempted murder, conspiracy against the Ministry, and dis-orderly conduct.. According to Tom, the barkeep at the Leaky Cauldron, the place where Krum was taken into custody, the Death Eater was found unconcious, and quite, quite guilty. Tom reported seeing the accused slumped over an over-turned barstool, obviously stunned, covered with splinters of wood and glass.
“See, the freckled lad—that one, who’s knocked out?-- came in here an half hour ago, squaking about one thing or another. He mentioned something about a friend of his being in trouble, that she was probably up there with Krum. I asked him to settle down a bit, sit and have a drink, and I’d go check for him, you know? I’d suspected something curious from the start, see, so, like I said, I went to check at Viktor’s room.” Scratching his head, Tom adds with apparent confusion, “Something happened up there, I don’t ‘member what, but when I came to, there was a sound like a barfight down here, so I came to check. I heard him [Viktor] start the Killing curse, and there was a flash…”
When asked what he did next, the bartender replied, “Nothing I coulda done, it was all happenin’ so fast, see, I’m not as young as I used to be, yeh know. Anyway, then there was another flash of green, and I realise, someone’s using the fireplace! So I look over that way, and sure enough, another redheaded bloke comes out, and quick as a kitten stuns Krum just as he finishes the incantation.” This ‘redheaded bloke’ turned out to be non-other than our Ministry’s own Arthur Weasley, of the Department for Misuse of Muggle Artifacts. Why exactly he arrived at the Leaky Cauldron at such an opprotune time is unclear, as Mr. Weasley declined any comment. Upon qustioning, he did, however, express great concern for his wife, who had been transported to St. Mungo’s shortly before the incedent.
“I thought for sure the freckled kid was done for, but then sometin’ round him ‘sploded and he and the girl—by the looks of it, huggin’ I guess—sorta ripped apart. She was fine, the girl, but the boy, I dunno, I think he musta been knocked out or sometin’…” As of yet, Tom remains the only one willing to enlighten the public. That is not to say that we gave up on our story when Arthur fled the scene and we were ordered to leave by an auror with stunningly pink hair.
We successfully tracked down the two teens Tom described for us, locating them at a far room in Mungo’s maternity ward after about an hour of asking around. Mr. Weasley was less than pleased to see us knocking at his wife’s hospital room door, unfortuantely, and promptly informed us that only immediate family members were allowed to enter. He was not, however, able to slam the door in our faces fast enough—as always, my faithful phtographer was able to pull through for myself and the readers, leaving us with a single photo that, for some, may only inspire more questions than answers. I’ll give you a hint, you don’t need a color photo to tell that a certain someone’s hair sticks out like a sore thumb—either she’s the milkman’s child, or Mr. Weasley’s a bad liar.



“Two minutes, Elma! And not a second more, I mean it!”

A pair of blue eyes rolled behind Zebra-print glasses. “Of course, miss,” the small witch replied. Taking a leisurly bite out of her breakfast muffin, Elma flicked her gaze to the photo Tabatha had been referring to.

It certainly looked as if it was taken at the very last possible moment.

On the left margin, an older man with a tired face could be seen clutching the hospital room door, clearly attempting to shut the reporters out of the room. In the center of the photo was a hospital bed, occupied by an exhausted but joyful looking witch cuddling a small bundle of blankets. A young girl with cherry-hued hair sat next to the older woman on the bed, wiggling her finger at the bundle, while a pair of identical young men—men Elma immediately recognized as the owners of Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes--stood on either side of her.

The curtain that divided the already cramped room parted to reveal the freckled boy she knew to be one of the subjects of Tabatha Meade’s artical, Ron Weasley. Elma looked him over with the trained eye of a jeweler. He looked quite cheerful—pale, yes, but otherwise simply elated, nevermind the golfball groing under the skin above his left eyebrow. She watched as he made to stand on the other side of his mother’s bed. After a moment, he looked over his shoulder and said something to the curtain, holding out his hand.

She could not help but smile, watching yet another hand appear through the curtain to hold Ron’s. It almost made her giggle, watching the gawky, awkward teen that had visited her shop a week ago pull a young woman out of the curtain, like a rabbit from a hat.

The girl stepped up to the side of the bed, and Elma couldn’t help but notice how close the pair was standing. “Ah, so this is the lucky lady, well, I must say--”

“You’re two minutes was up thirty seconds ago, you good for nothing wench!” Griselda crashed through the curtain dividing the front and back of the store. She ripped the paper from Elma’s small hands, her eyes flashing across the page. “Now, just what is so important that you---Is this that boy who was in my store last week, one of your charity cases?” she demanded, poking the photograph with a manicured finger.

Elma nodded, brushing crumbs onto the floor. “Of course it is. See there, the girl standing next to him? That’s who he gave the necklace to.”

“So it is…” Griselda huffed. She brought the paper so close to her face that it touched her nose. “Is that—oh, Merlin help me, a teaspoon!?

“Is it really?” Elma snatched at the paper, a smile twitching in the corners of her mouth. “Mercy me, its uncanny, he really did a fabulous job--”

“At defacing a very expensive piece of jewelry! Look how he’s repayed you, Elma, that imbecile--”

Griselda’s sentence was cut short as an eription of girlish giggles bubbled from her coworker’s mouth; the bushy haired girl in the photo had just kissed Ron on the cheek, and the color burning in his face was just as obvious in black-and-white. “Oh, shove off, Griselda,” Elma chuckled, sweeping a biscuit off the counter and stuffing it into her boss’ gaping mouth.