Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Git in Shining Armor by juniorauthor

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Dinner that night was simply unbearable. His mother insisted that Ron drain his goblets of lavender and pepper tea within minutes of her refilling his cup, and further refused his request for water instead. His eyes were watering from the tea—not only was it particularly hot due to the pepper(Hermione seemed to have thought that the remedy would work best if Mrs. Weasley brewed it using the hottest pepper she had on hand; which was, of course, the deadly-hot recipe that Charlie brought home from Romania on occasion), but Ron had come to the conclusion that he never had, and never will, taste anything quite as revolting as lavender and pepper tea. To top it off, Hermione seemed completely and relentlessly furious with him, and the rest of the Weasley children for that matter. Even if he hadn’t caught the spiteful glances she was shooting him, or felt the contempt radiating from her like bad body odor, he still would have known just how disapproving she was when he requested a cube of sugar for his tea.

“Of course, dear!” Mrs. Weasley cooed, smiling lovingly and jumping instantly from her place at the table to tend to her sick child.

Hermione cleared her throat, her tone stiffly business-like. “Actually, I don’t think sugar is a good idea, Mrs. Weasley. The…properties of the lavender and pepper would be neutralized by the--chemical make up of the sugar. Such a reaction would make the tea positively useless in curing his…what was the name of it again, Ronald?”

“Erm… I don’t think they have a name for it yet…” he stuttered, his hands shaking with frustration.

“Hmm. Anyway, I’m sure we all want Ron cured of his…nameless disease, so letting him have sugar in his tea would be contradictory to our goal.” Hermione avoided Ron’s eyes as she took a sip of her juice, but Ron thought he saw her tip her glass to him slightly. Draining her goblet of lemonade, Hermione smiled in Ron’s general direction. “Cheers, to good health.”

Ron scowled and raised his goblet to her. “Cheers…” he muttered before downing the tea in one swig, grimacing unpleasantly.

“Right, right…!” Mrs. Weasley said brightly, pouring some more tea into Ron’s goblet. Ron sent a venomous glance towards George, who shrugged in an apologetic way.

He didn’t know what he would have rathered, if given the choice; George covering for him by making his mum think he had some sort of magical flu, therefore causing Hermione to figure it out and hate him; or Hermione discovering the locket before he knew what to say to her and finding out she fancied Krum over him, being embarrassed and ashamed beyond all comprehension, and possibly ruining their friendship for good.

The first one. Hands down…except for the Hermione hating me part…I could have done without that… Ron pushed his peas around his plate with his fork, not very hungry at the moment. “Can I be excused?” he asked after taking another swig of tea.

Mrs. Weasley’s face softened as she levitated Ron’s plate over to the counter. “Of course, dear. You’re probably very tired. Head on upstairs…”

Ron felt Hermione’s eyes on him as he stood from his chair; he could feel her gaze burning his skin like fire until at last he closed the door behind him. With a very unpleasant aftertaste lingering in his mouth, Ron made his way up the rickety staircase. Not once—not once in his whole life had anything gone completely right for him. Whenever that timid damsel Hope peeked from behind her hiding place, someone or something had to ruin it, and scare her back into her secluded den.

Yesterday had been a wonderful day, yes. Everything had gone as planned—possibly even better than he had planned. But less than 24 hours later it had all been ruined. He wasn’t even back at square one. What with Hermione hating him—which he thought extremely peculiar, as he could not remember another time she had been so very cross with him over something as trivial as a, well, not a prank. A simple fib, perhaps—nevertheless he was back in the negative numbers; square negative seven.

At long last he reached his bedroom door and he pushed it open, closing it behind him carelessly. His un-made bed called to him, saying ‘Sleep, Ron. Sleep will make everything better.’ Though he knew it was a cruel lie, he threw himself upon the mattress, not bothering to change out of his robes. Within moments sleep had taken him.


“I’ll get it!” He called to nobody in particular, throwing himself off the couch and bounding towards the door, the doorbell’s random notes chiming in an offbeat tune. It was unusual for people to use the front door, or even to ring the doorbell; usually they just walked in and announced their presence. Ron opened the door cautiously at first, but swung it open seconds later as his eyes looked into those of his best friend. “Harry!” he exclaimed, immediately relieving Harry of the birdcage he cradled in his arms. “What are you doing here so early, mate? I didn’t expect you for a while, now.” He stepped back and motioned for Harry to make himself comfortable.

“Didn’t she tell you?” Harry asked, dragging his trunk into the Weasley’s den. “Hermione wrote a letter to me a few days ago, inviting me. She said that everything was ready, and that Dumbledore said it would be okay if I came… I can’t believe she didn’t tell you…” He sat in a torn armchair next to the fireplace, using his trunk as a footstool.

Ron turned to close the door, having set Hedwig’s empty cage on the floor next to an unused coat rack. “No, she didn’t. She has't really said much of anyhting to me, really. We’ve had a row, you see…”

“Ah. What else is new?” Harry replied sarcastically.

Ron shook his head, unaware of the sarcasm, and returned to his place on the couch. “Nothing, really…” Well, something was new—and it was lying safely hidden in his sock drawer. “Actually, there is something.”

Harry leaned forward, sensitive to his friend’s uncharacteristically solemn tone. “Is everything alr--”

“You made it!” Hermione called from the bottom of the staircase, beaming. She walked over to Harry and threw her arms around him, hugging him briefly. “Have a good trip?” the girl asked when she pulled away.

“Yes, excellent. Thanks,” Harry replied with a smile. But then his face hardened. “How come you didn’t tell Ron I was coming, Hermione? I mean, the others know I'm here, don't they? Mrs. Weasley and them?"

Hermione looked indignant. "Of course! I wouldn't have sent for you without proper permission--you know that!"

"So, it's just another lover's tiff, then, this thing between you and R--"

“Hungry, Harry?” Ron interrupted, leaping to his feet. “I’ll go fetch some biscuits from the kitchen, maybe? Mum's just baked a batch of pies, you know!” He cast Harry a meaningful look and dodged through the kitchen door, leaving it carefully ajar.

“So you made it here okay?” Hermione continued, apparently oblivious to the fact Ron had left. “You weren’t swarmed by a bunch of screaming fans, were you?” she joked.

Ron furrowed his brow in confusion as he opened and closed the cupboards in search of biscuits, curiously only able to find large jars of pickles; even his mother's pies smelled sickly sour. He pondered this for a moment, but pushed it to the back of his mind and continued to listen in.

“No, no. Not this time,” Harry replied, his voice deeper than Ron remembered it. Ron could hear the smile in his friend’s voice at his next statement, despite how deep puberty(as Ron reasoned) had changed his tone “There are being no Quidditch Supply stores near here, you see. Therefore, there are being no mobs of ‘screaming fans’ to hinder my traveling. This place--ze Burrow, you have called it, yes?--it is being far away from ze hubbub of cities such as Hogsmeade, eh?”

Ron dropped the jar of pickles he was holding, allowing it to crash noiselessly onto the hard wooden floor, upon which it shattered and sent the salty cucumbers scuttling freely upon the surface. “Bloody hell…” He turned on his heel and wrenched open the kitchen door. “Bloody…bleeding hell! What are you doing in my living room?!” Ron glared at the young man sitting where Harry sat only seconds earlier. Out of the corner or his eye, he noticed that his friend’s belongings were also missing.

Hermione laughed and leaned back against the sofa, crossing her legs neatly at the ankle. “It's part of the charm of this place, really.... And, how is your elbow doing?"

Changing his glare to face Hermione, Ron clenched his fists. “Hermione? What the bloody hell is Viktor Krum doing in my living room!?”

The Bulgarian stretched his left arm tentatively. “It is feeling much better, thank you… Are you ready to be leaving? I am sorry to be rushing you, but the gates do close at curfew, Herm-own-ninny…”

Hermione stood and smiled, ignoring Ron. “Oh, I understand perfectly. I would expect security is tight everywhere, these days.”

Letting out a bellow of fury, Ron stomped his foot like a young child throwing a temper tantrum. He turned on his heel and pointed sternly at the young Quidditch player. “You. Out. Get out of my house. NOW!”

“Good. Vell then. Shall we?” Viktor stood and made for the door, Hermione close behind him.

“No!” Ron shouted. “Hermione not you—just that filthy toerag. You stay. Hermione!”

“Oh. I vas almost forgetting. ” Viktor stopped halfway through the door and plunged a gnarled hand into the pocket of his scarlet robes, seconds later pulling out something long and shiny. Ron’s eyes bulged as he spotted the clouded silver heart dangling from the ever so familiar sterling chain, and he let out another horrific shout.

Hermione gasped and put a dainty hand over her mouth. “No, Viktor… I couldn’t…”

The man smiled crookedly. “And why is that being? Please, Herm-own-ninny. Accept it as not a gift, but as a token of our love, yes?”

Ron slammed his fist against the wall as Hermione emitted a sound somewhere between a sob and a giggle. “Oh, but it must have cost a fortune, Viktor…!”

“No expense is to be spared for you, Herm-own-ninny. Turn around so that I may help you in putting it on.” Viktor motioned with his hand for Hermione to turn around. She did so, and lifted her hair away from her neck, smiling brightly. “Zis clasp, it is tricky…” he muttered in a strained tone. Ron took his eyes off of Hermione to look at Viktor, and was surprised not to see him struggling with the silver chain, but instead pocketing the necklace. Viktor reached inside his robes, fumbling to find his wand.

“ What…? Hermione!” Ron shouted as the Bulgarian rolled up his sleeves. “Move!”

“Do you need help with it, Viktor?” Hermione asked playfully, oblivious to Ron’s shouts.

“No, no. I think I am almost getting it…” Viktor muttered, taking a step back and extending his arm. The last thing Ron saw before he lunged at the man was the tip of the Bulgarian’s wand mere centimeters from Hermione’s back, aimed at her heart; the first thing he saw after attempting to attack Viktor was the brick fireplace he hit instead.

Ignoring the pulsing pain in his forehead, Ron reached for Hermione’s robes, trying to pull her away; but his hands passed right through her robes just as they did Viktor’s body. Frustrated, Ron stood, drawing out his own wand. Hand trembling with fury, he aimed it at the brawny Quidditch player. “Tarantangula! Petrificus—ARGH!”

Viktor seemed to not have noticed Ron’s attempts at jinxing him. “Actually, Hermy-own-ninny. I am thinking I might be needing your help…”

Hermione laughed brightly and turned around.

“No! Hermione, move! He’s going to—FLIPENDO! RICTUSEMPRA! No, don’t turn--” The pure terror Ron saw in her eyes broke his heart. Hermione seemed petrified with fear, unable to speak or move. Her chocolate eyes stayed planted on Viktor’s face, their expression saying more than words ever could.

Viktor’s mouth curled into a crooked grin. “Advada Kada--”

“HERMIONE!” Ron leaped in front of Hermione and spread his arms as Viktor completed the incantation. He felt the curse blow through him like an icy gust of wind, and closed his eyes tight against the emerald light. The sound of hoarse laughter reached his ears, and Ron opened his eyes tentatively, first one and then the other. Just as he had passed through Viktor as if he was made of air, the spell had passed through Ron and hit—

“Hermione…” His face growing red with fury, Ron fell to his knees beside the girl’s limp body. Her face was frozen in a terrified expression; her mouth agape and her eyes wide open, yet somehow lifeless. He swallowed hard as a stray tear trickled down Hermione’s pale cheek.

Nostrils flaring, Ron stood to face Viktor. “You…!” But Viktor said nothing. A smile still on his face, Krum pocketed his wand, and stepped over Hermione’s limp body, the toe of his pointed leather boot grazing her cheek. “You killed her! You filthy, rotten, worthless pile of scum! She trusted you—she might have even lo—you KILLED HER!” Ron stalked after Viktor as he walked out the front door. “Did you see her face? One moment she was having the time of her life, Krum! And then, Hermione—YOU KILLED HER!”

As the Bulgarian summoned a broom from the shed at the opposite side of the yard, Ron continued to shout insults at him, too furious to shed the tears that burned in the corners of his eyes. “Don’t ignore me, Viktor! Stand and fight like a man, you ruddy coward…!” Viktor mounted the broom and blew a kiss in the direction of the front door, where Hermione’s lifeless body was still visible.

Ron fell to his knees and slammed his fists on ground as Viktor Krum, star Quidditch player of Bulgaria and England’s newest deranged murderer, flew off into the distance. For a while Ron just sat there, unable to think or speak or breathe. His stillness was so complete that a handful of brave chickens had made their way over to him, and were pecking at his robes. Ron looked to the nearest chicken, blue eyes full of pain. “He killed her …I couldn’t help her, and he just…killed her…”

“Ron…” the chicken clucked in response, looking at him with its beady little eyes. “Ron…Ron!RON!”

“Poking him isn’t working. Slap him,” spoke a second chicken.

The chickens stopped pecking at him, and turned to face each other as if they were readying themselves for a cockfight. “But couldn’t that put him into shock, if he wakes up too quickly? I think I heard about that som--”

“Who cares?”

“…Good point. Would you like the honor, dear brother?”

Ron blinked, staring at the two birds. “Sure...The chickens can see me. If Hermione could have even just heard me, then…”

“Why thank you; you’re too kind. It would be my immense pleasure!”

“ Its all my fa--OY!” Ron opened his eyes, clutching the spot on his face where the chicken had stricken him.

He sat up, suddenly wide-awake; It was not the stinging sensation on his cheek, though, that helped to wake him up a bit, but the revelation that it had all been a dream. “What, what’s wrong?” he asked, looking from George to Fred and back.

“You are, mate…” Fred stuttered through a yawn. “You wouldn’t shut up.”

George nodded. “You were screeching and shouting in your sleep—its amazing nobody else heard you…” he added, rubbing his eyes lazily.

“But you were shouting odd things about Krum being in our living room, and that he had killed someone,” Fred continued with a slight smirk, “So we figured we’d come up here and end your suffering…”

“And so here we are. Well, you’re awake now. You’ve stopped screaming; our job’s done.” George stood and yawned widely. “Unless you’d like us to fix you a cup of warm milk…?” he added sarcastically.

“No, no…” Ron stuttered awkwardly.

“Even sing you a lullaby?” Fred offered.

“I’d suggest a teddy bear, but somehow I don’t think it’s a stuffed animal you’d fancy cuddling up to…”

Ron shook his head, choosing to ignore his brothers’ snide comments. He thought of what might have happened if anyone but the twins had come up to wake him; what would they have heard, and what would they have made of it? What if it had been Hermione? “ Erm…sorry, mates. Thanks for…for waking me up…”

“Oh, no, don’t thank us. We should be thanking you; why should we waste a third of our lives sleeping, anyway?”

“Besides,” Fred added in a groggy slur, “Getting to smack you in the face was quite thanks enough.”

“Well, we’re off to bed then,” George muttered, staggering towards the open door.

Fred followed after him. “But if we have to come up here again, we won’t be as gentle, got it?” Ron nodded moodily as his brother closed the door behind him.

Echoes of the dream still lingered in his mind, making it impossible for Ron to fall back asleep. The fact that the tin box was hidden under his pillow didn’t help either. Checking his watch, Ron found the time to be three thirty in the morning. He sighed, knowing that there would be no way he would get back to sleep before the sun came up, and pulled the mutilated tin box from its resting place. He traced his finger along the scars he had left upon the box the night before, wondering whether he would ever work up the courage to give Hermione the necklace, let alone risk engraving it.

The dream had instilled in him a sense of urgency, and, filled with reckless energy left over from the nightmare, Ron felt he had to do something. He didn’t want to stand by and do nothing any more—he had seen what little good that did. And while Hermione probably wouldn’t die if he didn’t give her the necklace, Ron couldn’t help but feel that every second he delayed, time was ticking closer and closer to the time where Hermione would be dead-- to him at least.

For a moment, he wondered whether that made any sense, coming to the conclusion that he wasn’t in the mood to draw a logical conclusion. Ron stood and strode over to his sock drawer, careful not to make a sound. Even in the dark, it was easy to locate the cool silver chain of the locket amongst the dozen or so moth-eaten sock balls, and within moments he was sitting cross-legged on the dusty floor. Not daring to turn on the lamp for a bit of light, Ron raked his brain, trying to remember the incantation. He wished he still had Hermione’s Charm’s book.

“What was it…?” he muttered under his breath, staring at the moonlight reflected on the locket’s smooth surface. “Mucris… Mucris what? Mucris, a broom…? Abrum…. Mucris Abrum. Glorifiche Argentus!” He grinned broadly as the tip of his wand burned a familiar cobalt blue, his heart pounding. This was it. There was no turning back. I either have to do it right the first time—sitting here, on the floor, in the dark, half asleep--or melt down the silver and hand Hermione a nice shiny blob. No pressure.

With a deep breath, Ron bent his head and, holding his wand like a quill, touched the little ball of blue fire to the metal. It made a soft whistling sound upon contact, but the noise was pleasant, almost comforting, as if the silver was singing its approval.

About five minutes later, Ron extinguished his wand, squinting at the little locket. He had no way of telling how horribly the teaspoon had come out, but the fact the locket hadn’t imploded was a good sign. Delicately lifting the still warm locket into his hands, Ron stood, ignoring the protestant cramps from his stiff legs. Smiling, he stumbled back over to his bed and plopped down on the mattress, running his fingers over the surface of the locket.

Tomorrow morning, he decided. Tomorrow morning, after—no, before breakfast, he’d pull her off to the side, maybe out into the garden. Then he’d explain everything to her. About Elma and Viktor; about the burns on his hands and the fake disease. After a minute or two, it wouldn’t matter that Hermione was mad at him, because he’d pull the necklace out of his pocket and hand it to her. Then everything would be all right. Better than all right. Excellent.

He twirled the necklace around his fingers absentmindedly, unaware that the chain had looped itself around his wrist several times over.

Unless,he thought miserably, frowning as anxiety flooded his mind. Unless Hermione tells me she’s in love with Viktor, or that I’m too overly git-like for her. And then she’d snatch the necklace out of my hands and stamp on it, laughing all the while… Ron’s ears had turned red just from thinking about it, and his eyes began to sting as he stared blankly at the mutilated tin box.

It was several minutes before he opened the box and took out the picture of Harry, Hermione and himself, if only to occupy his hands.

We were all so happy, then. Ron thought as he watched Hermione swat Harry’s hand, scowling playfully at him for making bunny ears behind her head. Pigwidgeon was perched in a regal pose atop picture-Ron’s head, Crookshanks eyeing the owl with a lusty look. Harry still had Sirius…Hermione didn’t hate me…everything was so simple… The people in the picture seemed to have reacted to some sort of prompting, for all the goofing around stopped and they looked straight ahead, smiling and waving brightly at the camera.

Hermione wasn’t going out with Krum… Percy wasn’t a prat…well, at least not a big of one as he is now… Ron fingered the edges of the picture, unsurprised to find the border crisp, almost as sharp as if the photo had just come out of the camera; he didn’t often disturb the little tin box, and hence had not given the photo a chance to wear or crinkle with evidence of rough handling.

“I didn’t feel so strongly about Hermione, back then…” Ron flinched horribly, startled by his own voice; he hadn’t meant to think aloud. That proved just how tired he was.

Blinking drowsily, it took Ron a moment to realize that, in his panic, the flawless photo he held in his freckled hands had torn down the middle. He sniffed angrily and swallowed the urge to swear, his fingers trembling.

Harry had jumped out of the way before he had had the chance to be ripped in half, and was now glaring at Ron from the picture, giving him a rude hand gesture or two from picture-Ron’s half of the photo. With a kind of sick half-amusement, Ron watched as Harry stormed out of the photo, leaving only Hermione in his left hand, and himself in his right. So this is how it is, then? Ron thought to himself, looking from one half of the picture to the other.

He couldn’t help but notice that he and Hermione seemed rather far apart now, separated by a vista of nothingness. He threw the pieces of the photo to the floor, watching them glide and spin in the draft that was coming from his open window. They landed lightly on the floor and skidded off in different directions; Ron’s half sliding under the bed, Hermione’s skidding towards the door.

With a frustrated grunt, he rolled over in bed, pulling the covers up over his head to drown out the hooting of an owl outside his window. Ron didn’t need Trelawney breathing down his neck to realize that the ripped photograph was a sign. A sign of imminent doom…figuratively, anyways. It was all rather hopeless, though, wasn’t it? Who had he been fooling? No one. No one but himself and that sweet short woman, Elma. It was time to move on.

I don't deserve her, anyway, he thought, rolling over and pulling his Chudley Cannons comforter up to his chin. Brains, heart of gold, and--that smile... She deserves someone like Krum-- handsome, rich, and famous-- who knows what he wants and how to get it... Not some hopeless, mediocre troll who spends two or three years saving up a whopping thirteen galleons, and then blows it on some boyish ideal...

Gradually, his breaths slowed, and sleep greeted Ron once more, the dream and the necklace forgotten. This time, the redhead’s dreams did not disturb him. After all, what was disturbing about having evening tea with Fleur Delacour?

Author's Note: Kudos to my little sister for helping me out with the chappie title. (I promised if she helped I'd say thanks on here. Hehehe)