Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Still Believe by theMarauders

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Guys, I am so sorry I have not updated sooner. School has just taken over my life. So here is the next chapter--enjoy!

Disclaimer: JKR=genius.


Time had past. Two whole years to be specific. Ginny had never gone back to the hospital to visit the one person she loved the most…she couldn’t. Harry had still not woken up, he had been in a coma for the last two years. The doctors had declared him in a vegetated state”which means he will never get better.

Ginny poured herself a cup of tea and sat down at her table. She lived in a little apartment by herself not to far from the Burrow. Ron and Hermione were finally engaged and were currently living together. Ginny finished her tea while reading the Daily Prophet. The newspaper used to always have Harry’s name in it…now it was rare that it said something about him. It was a touchy subject for everyone.

Ginny glanced over at the wall over the fireplace. There were two picture frames”one had the final letter Harry had written her in it and the other was a picture of Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Ginny, all smiling and happy.

Every time Ginny looked at that picture, she wanted to scream. She hated Voldemort for doing this to Harry. And she hated herself for not going and visiting Harry everyday. She felt guilty about it sometimes. But he had told her to be happy…and she definitely was a lot happier away from that hospital. Although, you couldn’t really call Ginny a happy person.

When the doctors had declared the fact that Harry would never get better, Ginny prayed that he would die so that he wouldn’t be suffering anymore. Everyday she prayed that he would die so that she could give him a proper goodbye and get on with it all. With him still alive, it just made everything harder. That feeling of guilt for not sitting with him everyday haunted her every time she laughed or smiled”which was rare.

Yet, despite her praying for Harry to die, she still believed that one day he would walk up to her. The vision of him hugging her was with her everyday and sometimes she just would sit and ask for a miracle. But she knew she wasn’t going to get one.

The whole Weasley family worried about Ginny. Mrs. Weasley had to go over to Ginny’s apartment a lot to force her to go outside. Ron and Hermione visited her often, but no matter how hard they tried, she would never act happy.

Today Ginny was feeling extremely guilty. What if I just stand in the hall and watch him through the window? She decided it was a good idea.

She apparated to the hospital and stood outside. As much as she wanted to go in, as much as she wanted to see Harry, she couldn’t go in. He’s basically dead. Why do I even bother?

Ginny left immediately. She had been so stupid to even try and visit him. She needed to talk to Hermione though, she needed someone to talk to.

Hermione was sitting on the couch when she heard a knock on the door. She opened it and was surprised to see Ginny out of her house.

“I miss him,” Ginny said as the tears started to come.

“I know, me too,” Hermione said as she embraced her friend in a giant hug.

“Why can’t they just take him off life-support so we can have the funeral and get it all over with?” Ginny asked.

“He has no living relatives to take him off it. And no, Ginny, you don’t count.” Hermione said looking at her.

“I just want him back. I wish he would get better.”

Hermione looked at the floor. There was really nothing she could say to this. Ginny looked at Hermione and how she had moved on from it all. Ginny just couldn’t do that.

“I have to go,” she said quickly, and with that, she appeared back in her own apartment.

Ginny went to bed early that night and dreamed that Harry had never lost his memory. That he had never gotten hurt.

*************************
At St. Mungo’s, the machines attached to Harry began to beep fast. Doctors rushed in tried to save him as his heart slowed down. The beeping stopped.

“I think we’ve lost him,” a doctor said.

************************

A head appeared in Ginny’s fireplace just as she was waking up the next morning. It was healer from St. Mungo’s .

Ginny looked at the uniform he was wearing and a sudden fear shook her body.

Did Harry finally die?

“Good-morning Ms. Weasley. I think you might want to come by the hospital when you get a chance. We need to speak with you,” the healer said very calmly.

Ginny nodded slowly. She turned her head and stared at the floor. Then she looked back at him. “Is Harry okay?” she asked tentatively.

“Not really. We’ll speak to you when you get here,” the healer replied. And then, the head vanished.

Ginny took a deep breath and prayed that Harry was no longer suffering. She went into the bathroom and brushed her hair beautifully and tied it back just the way Harry used to like it.

She then put on the bracelet Harry had given her and put on her favorite pair of jeans and Harry’s old sweatshirt. She wanted to look nice for her final good-bye.

**********
Before going to the hospital, Ginny stopped by Hermione’s and quickly explained what the healer had said.

“Do you want me to come with you?” Hermione asked.

Ginny wasn’t really sure. She bit her bottom lip.

“How about I just tag along, and if you decide you need some support I’ll be there with you. And if not, I’ll wait for you outside,” Hermione suggested. Although Hermione really wanted to know about Harry’s death, she decided that Ginny would end up telling her all the details anyway. And the healer had contacted Ginny, not her.

Ginny nodded her head and waited outside on the steps for Hermione. A few minutes later Hermione opened the door and they both left for the hospital.

*********
When Ginny walked into the lobby, her whole body started shaking. She walked down to the room where Harry had been and looked inside. It was empty.

Hermione stared into the room, “I’ll wait for you here,” she said as her eyes glazed over and she stared. She was rubbing her own shoulders when Ginny turned away.

Ginny kept walking towards the healer’s office as her breathing got heavier. Harry was finally gone. She felt the tears but held them back. To her, he had been dead all these years so the news really wasn’t too shocking.

She walked into the office and knocked softly on the door with the back of her hand. The healer at the desk looked up. It was the same one who had contacted her that morning.

“Ah, Ms. Weasley,” he said, “Please take a seat,” he motioned towards the two chairs in front of the desk.

She sat down and stared at him.

“Now, I want you to try your best to remain calm while I talk to you. If you have to get up and take a break for a few minutes, please do so. But do not go and tell anyone else what I am about to discuss with you.”

Now Ginny was scared. Why couldn’t they just tell her how Harry had died? She nodded at the healer. She just wanted to get it over with.

“As I’m sure you noticed, Mr. Potter’s room was empty when you walked by. You see, last night, his heart stopped beating. We were all positive he was dead. Since about two years ago, when you were here the last time, the memory section of his brain has been doing something weird. And we were not sure what. It was almost flickering, as if it was turning on and off. So yesterday, when his heart stopped beating, we pronounced him dead.”

Ginny breathed a heavy sigh of relief. No more suffering.

“But, about two minutes later, his heart started beating again.”

Ginny looked puzzled. Does this mean Harry isn’t dead?

“And when we performed a test on him to see how his memory was doing, it showed no more flickering. It showed that everything was there, that everything is working properly. So, Mr. Potter has his memory back.”

Fireworks were going off in Ginny’s head. She wanted to run outside and scream. She couldn’t have felt happier at the moment. But, the healer quickly took that happiness away.

“There is a small problem, though. Actually, a large one. Mr. Potter hasn’t woken up. And we quite frankly are not sure that he will ever wake up. He is once again back in a coma but that could last another 20 years. We really aren’t sure. We just wanted to tell you that he has his memory back just in case you wanted to visit him. It’s a known fact that people in comas can often recognize when people they know are talking to them. So, if you want to pay Mr. Potter a visit, you may.”

Ginny nodded. Yeah, it was good news that Harry’s memory had returned, but deep down, Ginny knew he would never wake up. She stared blankly at the wall. “Why is it that I cannot share this with anyone?”

“Well, you can. But just be careful because we do not want hundreds of people visiting him.”

“One last question,” Ginny said as she looked up, “why did you pick me to tell? Why not Ron or Hermione?”

“Because we know that he cares the most about you. We found that letter he wrote to you when we were operating on him. We know that if there is one person he would want to here, it would be you. Oh, and Ms. Weasley, his room was moved down the hall, to a more quiet place.”

Ginny nodded and got up and left. She felt the tears coming. She wasn’t sure she had the courage to go visit Harry.

When she stepped outside, she saw Hermione waiting on a chair.

Hermione saw the tears on Ginny’s face and embraced her in a hug. She didn’t bombard Ginny with questions because she knew it was hard for her. Hermione didn’t even know that Harry was still alive. Ginny felt it was best she told her soon.

“Hermione…” Ginny said quietly.

“Yes, Gin?”

“Harry…he’s”he’s”he’s not dead.”

“I know you’re sad he’s gone. Me too,” Hermione then suddenly understood what Ginny had just said. “Wait, what?”

“He’s not dead. But he will probably remain in a coma for the rest of his life. But his memory is back,” Ginny mumbled as fast as she could.

At first, Hermione was excited by the news. But when the reality hit her, she understood. He would probably never speak to Ginny again.

“I’m going to go talk to him for a little while but you can leave,” Ginny finally said after a few silent minutes.

Hermione nodded and left.

Ginny stared up at the huge hospital and took in a deep breath.

She was taking a huge risk by walking in their. She still didn’t know if she had the courage to do it. But, she gathered everything she had and marched right up to his room. Ginny looked in the window and small smile spread across her face.

Ginny placed her hand on the doorknob and as she began to turn it, she stopped. She closed her eyes for a second before finally opening the door all the way. She leaned her shoulder against the opened door and stared at Harry.

“Hi,” she said.

***
A/N: Hoped you liked this one. Please review.