Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Still Believe by theMarauders

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Sorry it took me so long to update...I've been really busy with school and track. I'll probably update the story one more time before Christmas break--over which I will hopefully finish writing the story. Enjoy the chapter!

Disclaimer: It sucks that I don't own of these characters.


Ginny held tightly onto Harry’s hand. She hadn’t held it for so long and she missed the feeling. She laced her fingers in between his and rubbed her cheek against the back of her hand.

“Harry…” she whispered in a soft voice. She didn’t even know where to begin. “I’m so sorry I haven’t been here these past few years…it’s just hard…I’m sure you’d understand. I get up everyday and am reminded of what type of a condition you are in and it just…it hurts.”

Ginny looked away. The pain in her chest deepened every time she looked at Harry lying there unconscious.

“I don’t really even know what to say to you. I really haven’t been doing anything…no joke,” a small smile spread across her face, but she quickly wiped it away. “You know, I sat and prayed for you to die for a while, so that all this suffering would end. I’m sorry about that. I don’t want you to die. But it’s so hard for me because you’re alive and we can’t be together.”

The head healer who had talked to Ginny before was walking by Harry’s room. He stopped and looked in the window and smiled as he saw Ginny talking and holding Harry’s hand.

“When you were off fighting, everyday I prayed that you would come home alive. I never prayed for you to come home alive and with all your memory. I should have…because otherwise then you would have remembered me when you first woke up. Apparently, you have your memory back now. Oh, I just hope that’s the case. I still believe that you’ll walk up to me one day. And I’ll always believe that until they pronounce you dead.”

Ginny was talking to Harry as if he was awake. As if he was listening.

After spending around two hours just sitting there talking to him, she finally got up and left. As she was leaving she blew Harry and kiss and closed the door behind her.

She pressed her back against the door and closed her eyes to prevent the tears. Oh how she missed him. Sometimes Ginny wondered how she made it through everyday knowing that he would never wake up.

*************
It was the day of Ron and Hermione’s wedding. And it proved to be the hardest day of Ginny’s life. Hermione had asked Ginny to be her maid-of-honor, and of course, she was thrilled. But the more she thought about it, she realized that she would never make it through the ceremony without breaking down. So, she told Hermione she’d rather sit in the front row instead of standing in front of everyone.

The ceremony was beautiful. Ginny couldn’t help but think of how she had always planned on doing the same thing with Harry. And she knew that the chance was very unlikely.

The hardest part was at the celebration. Everyone was dancing and having fun. Ginny sat at the table, staring at her hands uncomfortably. She looked across the room and expected to see Harry staring back at her, just like at Bill’s wedding. But he wasn’t there, and it was hard.

Ron noticed Ginny sitting sadly, and told Hermione he was going to try and get her on the dance floor. He walked over to her.

“You owe me a dance, Gin,” Ron said, happily.

“I don’t owe anyone any dances,” Ginny mumbled without even looking up.

“It’s my wedding. And I would really like to dance with my little sister. My only sister.”

“You make Harry wake up, and then I’ll dance with you,” she said bitterly as she grabbed her purse and stood to leave.

“Ginny, you can’t keep letting this bother you. You visit him everyday, he knows you care.”

“It’s not him that’s bothering me. It’s that all of you can be so happy and smile and dance and party and get married without your best friend. The one person who wanted to be here most,” Ginny said as the tears filled her eyes again. She had been drinking on top of it, so it was not a good mix.

“We weren’t going to wait 20 years for him to wake up, just so we could get married. Life goes on.”

“Well, it doesn’t for me,” Ginny said.

And with that, she turned around and left the wedding.

Hermione had watched and heard the whole thing and felt disappointed at Ginny. She picked up her dress so she wouldn’t trip, and walked over to Ron who was now sitting at a table.

“Don’t let this ruin our night,” Hermione whispered in his ear.

Ron looked at her and smiled and led her back onto the dance floor.

*************
Ginny had eventually apologized to Ron and Hermione for the way she had behaved that night. They both said they did understand where she was coming from though.

A few months later…

Ron and Ginny were immersed in a deep conversation on the couch when there was a knock on the door. Hermione yelled, “I got it,” and walked across the kitchen. She opened the door and was surprised to find the healer from the hospital standing outside it. He whispered a few things to Hermione and the smile wiped across her face.

It was a good thing Ginny didn’t know who was at the door or she would have come running up begging to know Harry’s status. Even though it was always the same.

Hermione nodded and closed the door.

“Who was it?” Ron asked.

Ron could hear Hermione begin to cry and he quickly jumped up and jogged over to her. She was holding a napkin with some words scribbled on it in her hand. She quickly explained the situation to Ron. He went pale in the face.

Ginny walked into the kitchen and looked at the two of them.

“What now?” she asked.

Hermione shook her head. She couldn’t tell her. And apparently Ron couldn’t either.

“As long as Harry is not dead, then I’m not gonna get upset. Nothing can upset me. Besides for that.”

Ginny had been visiting Harry everyday since his memory had supposedly returned. She talked to him about everything and it was helping her cope with it all so much better. She went out all the time and wasn’t afraid to smile anymore.

Hermione and Ron looked at each other.

It was Ginny’s turn to go pale.

Hermione knew she had to be the one to say it…I mean it wasn’t as upsetting as she was making it out to be…it was just…upsetting.

“Gin…Harry woke up last night.”

“THAT’S GREAT! WHY DO YOU ALL LOOK SO SAD?” She screamed with happiness.

“Because he was only awake for a few minutes. The doctors didn’t even realize he had woken up until they found this on the nightstand.”

Hermione handed Ginny a napkin. On it was scribbled a few sentences in a messy cursive. Harry’s handwriting.

Ginny’s hand went to her mouth as she let out a gasp and read the napkin.

Ginny”
I know that you have been coming everyday…I hear your voice…I’m weak, Gin. I can’t control my mind or my body. This might be the last time I ever wake up. I can’t fight against it anymore. Just know that I love you and always will…always keep your head up, Gin.

Love,
Har


He hadn’t even been able to finish signing his name. That was the saddest part.

Surprisingly, Ginny didn’t break down or cry. She stared at the napkin for a few more moments as she read it over again before crumpling it up and putting it in her pocket.

“I don’t understand why you’re crying,” Ginny stated.

“Because he said he might not wake up again! That he’s going to give up!” Hermione almost yelled.

“You and I both know Harry, Hermione. And we both know that he’s not one to give up.”

“Ginny…I understand that…I mean you are right, he has never given up. But, if he’s fighting against himself to stay alive…and that he’s been doing that for the past three or four years…he’s weak. Like he said. He’s going to have to give up whether he wants to or not.”

Ginny looked at Hermione.

“You know that I always used to think on the negative side of this whole situation. But for once, I’m going to try and be positive. For once, I’m actually beginning to feel better about this…and if I lose him now…” her voice trailed off.

She turned her head and looked to the side. She couldn’t even finish her sentence.

********************
Harry’s fingers twitched in his bed. The doctors observed him carefully as his fingers continued to curl and uncurl. They couldn’t figure out what was going on but they began to panic. They thought it was only right that they notified Ginny Weasley and her brother of Harry’s situation. They thought it would be best if they were with Harry when he died.

********************
Ginny was at the hospital instantly and she ran through the hallways to get to Harry. She opened the door and noticed several doctors unplugging machines and equipment from him.

“What’s going on?” Ginny asked, the look of worry spreading all over her face.

“He has nothing left. Almost everything has stopped functioning except the vital organs.”

Ginny turned around and put her hand up to her mouth to try and force the tears back in.

“How long does he have?” She asked nervously.

“It could be an hour. It could be 10 years,” one of the healers responded.

The healers finished what they were doing and left Ginny and Harry alone. He was no longer plugged into anything but an iv and a heart monitor. The healers had given up him.

Ginny stroked Harry’s arm as she cried softly. She knew the day was going to come. But she didn’t expect it to be so hard like this. Not that she expected it to be easy either.

Ginny placed her head on his chest and continued to cry. “I love you, I love you, I love you…” she kept repeating. She suddenly felt an arm wrap around her back. She turned around to see whose arm it was and froze.

A/N: dun dun dun. I guess you'll just have to wait to find out what that is all about. Please Please Please review--critiscism is more than welcome.

=] much love.