Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

She's No You by 1coolmuggle

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
James took a swig of butterbeer and watched Sheryl from across The Three Broomsticks. She was sharing a booth with Lily Evans, since the place was so crowded. There weren’t any empty booths, tables, or barstools left, so James was leaning against the wall, trying to look as cool as he could. He noticed that she’d been glancing over at him every few minutes, then looking away when he caught her eye.

She’s right next to Lily, James mused. It’s the perfect setup. Without much more thought, he stood up straighter and strode over to their booth. The two girls were talking, but when he came to a stop in front of them, they both immediately stopped and looked up at him.

"What are you doing here?" Lily asked, her eyes sending him death glares.

"Well, Evans, last time I checked, it was Hogsmeade weekend," he replied smoothly.

"No, I mean right here. Standing in front of our booth. Talking to me," she specified.

"Well, I was wondering if I might join you ladies," he said in his most sincere, gentlemanly voice. Sheryl grinned and nodded, but then saw Lily’s face and stopped smiling. Lily was still glaring at James.

"I don’t think so," Lily replied and took a sip of butterbeer. Sheryl ran a hand through her hair, dyed blonde with a single blue streak in the front. James turned his attention from Lily to Sheryl and smiled.

"I don’t think Sheryl feels that way," he said to Lily while still watching Sheryl. Sheryl tucked a section of hair back behind her ear and returned his smile.

"Yeah, Lily, he doesn’t seem dangerous," she kidded, looking to Lily. "And the booth seats four." She looked back up at James and moved over toward the wall. "There’s room for you right here," she told him as she ran a hand over the red leather seat. James slid into the booth and got much closer to her than he had to. Lily found something interesting across the room and focused all her attention on that while James absent-mindedly fingered Sheryl’s hair.

"So, Evans, how’ve you been lately?" he asked, a glint in his eye. She looked back over at him and sipped her butterbeer nonchalantly.

"Fine, I suppose," she replied coldly.

"And you?" he asked Sheryl, turning to face her. She blushed a little, answered,

"Well, I’m feeling great right now." She then shocked her own self by adding, "And I’d feel even better if you’d get a little closer." James was temporarily thrown off by her comment, but gladly did what she asked. He scooted even closer and put a hand on her knee. Lily cleared her throat and excused herself to the bathroom, but as soon as she got out, she headed for the door.

"Bathroom’s the other way, Evans!" James shouted to her, but she was already gone. He shrugged, pretending that he didn’t care. Damn, James, you blew it, he thought furiously. But instead of chasing after her, he just leaned in even more toward Sheryl. After all, he hadn’t done all that flirting for nothing. To irk Lily, of course, but Sheryl was definitely a good catch. Why should he abandon her?

"Alright, now I’m feeling a little claustrophobic," Sheryl laughed. James had been so lost in thought that he hadn’t realized that he had her against the wall. James laughed too, and took her hand. He pulled her out of the booth, and they both stood up.

"Let’s leave now," he decided, "before the bartender shoves someone else in with us. I’d like us to be alone." Sheryl giggled and nodded, and they left hand-in-hand.

* * *

Back in the Gryffindor Common Room, James and Sheryl were still holding hands, but now on the couch.

"So, you’ve never been on a broom?" he asked.

"No," she admitted, "I don’t like being that high up."

"Ah," he said with a smile. "You’re afraid of heights."

"No," she argued. "I’m not afraid of heights, I’m afraid of falling from them." James laughed and touched her hair with his free hand. He loved her perfectly straight hair. It was silky and smooth, like his own. Nothing like Lily’s.....

Coincidentally, Lily walked in just then, with pretty-boy Amos Diggory on her arm. In her hand was a bottle of butterbeer, which was tipped sideways and steadily emptying itself onto the floor. She grinned gaily at the two of them, then he pulled her onto a couch on the other side of the room. James glared jealously as he ran his fingers through her thick red hair. She dropped the bottle of butterbeer onto the ground and it shattered, but neither of them seemed to notice. James decided to ignore him. After all, what kind of a date was he being, staring at another girl?

He turned to Sheryl and she stroked his hair. "So, James, how do you know Lily? You don’t seem to be.....friends. At all." She fingered his hair and looked him in the eyes. "Is there something between you two?" James’ heart ached as she asked that. Merlin, I wish!

But instead of saying that, he forced a laugh. "Lily Evans wouldn’t date me if she had a choice between me and the Giant Squid. And you know how unromantic he is." Sheryl laughed too, seeming content with his answer.

"I’ve heard he’s good at snogging," she countered.

"I’m better," he said simply, putting his hands behind his head. He stared up at the seiling, trying to ignore Lily’s giggling and Amos’ laughter. Sheryl raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, is that a challenge?" James’ eyes rolled lazily back to her, and up to the ceiling again.

"Nah, I don’t need to prove anything. I know I’m better than him. Her. It. Whatever that thing is." A little put out, Sheryl pulled her hand back from his hair and ran a finger down his side. James began laughing so hard that he could barely breathe, so, content, Sheryl pulled back and pulled him up into a sitting position.

"So, are you saying you wouldn’t like to snog me?" she asked, hiding a smile. James leaned in toward her the way he had at The Three Broomsticks. He had a hungry, intimidating gleam in his eyes that made her shiver. She loved that feeling.

"I never said that," he answered, shaking his head. Then he leaned in and kissed her.

On the other side of the room, a very wasted Lily Evans was trying to fend off Amos Diggory. James was so caught up in Sheryl that he didn’t even notice Lily struggling desperately to get away from Amos.

"James....." she whispered, and then passed out.