Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A New Definition of Family by RahNee

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A New Definition of Family
Chapter 9: Birthday

Disclaimer: You know, I seem to have to constantly remind myself that I don’t own any of JK Rowling’s characters, because they are so much fun to take out and play with. But alas, not mine. Except for, of course, any characters or places or book titles you see here that you don’t find in her books; they are products of my quirky and creative imagination. Oh, and I made up the backyard Quidditch rules, too.

A/N: I now raise my can of Dr. Pepper in a toast to my fab-yoo-lous beta, Lorett.




Fingers of sunlight wove their way through the curtains and into the bedroom, tracing a gentle caress across Harry’s face. He grimaced and squinted his eyes, turning away from the brightness and rolling to his side, hugging the second pillow (having two pillows was a decadence he’d never dreamt of when at the Dursleys) against his chest like a child with a teddy bear. He smiled and hovered between wake and sleep for several minutes before two things registered in his mind. The first was he had not been woken by some distressing half-formed dream, and the second was… it’s my birthday!

His eyes shot open, and he rolled onto his back with a huge smile on his face. He was fourteen. This was the first birthday where he wasn’t in a home that was completely indifferent to it. Here at the Burrow, not only would his birthday not be ignored, but it would be acknowledged and even celebrated!

He practically wriggled with excitement. He’d never had a birthday party before! Laughter and delight bubbled up in him, eclipsing all the worrisome thoughts that had been plaguing his mind the past few days. The more mature fourteen-year-old part of him suggested deep in his mind that he was perhaps getting much too worked up over such a childish thing as a birthday party. But the part of him that had seen all of Dudley’s parties over the years, quietly observing but never allowed to participate, and had wistfully wished for a party of his own someday… that little boy part of him kicked the cynical teenaged part of him in the imaginary shins and told him to shut it and let him enjoy his first real birthday ever, damn it!

He was no more capable of staying in bed any longer than he was at reading tea leaves; he had to share his excitement with someone. He sat up and looked over at Ron, who was peacefully unaware that the day had dawned, or that a large wet area of drool had darkened the pillowcase. Harry launched himself onto Ron’s bed brandishing his pillow like a broadsword. Ron sat up with a start, absorbing the full assault of the pillow with his face.

“What the hell? Gerroff me, you big hippogriff’s arse!” Ron managed to grunt out before the next blow. Harry laughed wickedly and began a third swing, but Ron countered brilliantly, blocking Harry with his arm and seizing his own pillow to begin his defensive barrage. It was Ron’s turn to cackle when his wet, drool-drenched pillow connected soundly with the side of Harry’s head, knocking him sideways.

“Ewwww!” yelled Harry, who scooped up another pillow in his free hand; but he found, when he sat back up, both pillows swinging, that Ron was similarly armed. What had begun as an ambush was quickly evolving into a skirmish…

And then, the door to the bedroom flew open. With red and brown hair flying, a pillow in each hand, Ginny and Hermione descended on the boys and escalated the situation to a full scale battle. The next few minutes consisted of ripostes and parries, feints and advances where the soft feathery objects served as both weapon and shield until, as was inevitable, a tell-tale rip was heard and the room was filled with downy feathers drifting down like new fallen snow.

Molly found them, coated in goose down and laughing hysterically. She stood in the doorway in her dressing gown, hands on her hips, foot tapping ominously. The room became suddenly quiet, until Molly’s impassive mouth began to twitch, and try as she might, she could not hold a straight face any longer. Her mouth quirked into a smile. “I see that the festivities have begun,” she drawled, eyes twinkling, foot still tapping.

Four mouths began stammering out apologies, but Molly magnanimously waved them aside. “No, no. There’s no harm done, and besides, today is a special day,” she beamed at Harry. She pulled out her wand and muttered a quick reparo and the feathers began to fly back into the tattered pillow, which then stitched itself up. Molly looked into four pairs of relieved eyes and said, “However, since you lot have an obscene amount of excess energy this morning, you will all follow me to the kitchen to help with breakfast.”

The kids knew better than to groan, and recognized the grace offered to them. On any other day, Molly Weasley would have been much less generous in doling out punishment for destruction of property.

“Actually, this is a good thing,” Ginny said quietly to the others, “because we can snitch samples before any one else gets to the table.” The boys brightened considerably at this, and made a show of stampeding down the stairs, trying to impede each other’s progress in order to get to the kitchen first.

Hermione looked at Ginny, who grinned back. They both rolled their eyes simultaneously and said, in unison, “Boys!” before making their way quickly down the stairs to the kitchen.




Rinna jerked out of her sleep, kicking off the covers and knocking the alarm to the ground. She sat up on the edge, ran her hands through her tousled hair and groaned. The alarm had pulled her away from unsettling dreams, most of which were quickly receding from her memory. But the one she had been experiencing when the alarm went off, however, remained vivid behind her eyelids…

She is in Remus’ embrace; strong, solid arms wrapped around her, protecting her from pain, from feelings. She doesn’t need to feel anything when she is with Remus. She senses that he will never ask her to feel anything for him, and she is safe: her fortress walls around her heart are not threatened by him… She tilts her head up, looks into his hazel eyes, and he leans forward and presses his lips to hers. She drowns in the kiss until he pulls away. She opens her eyes in surprise at his retreat…opens her eyes to his indigo blue ones…blue eyes…Sirius…

With another groan, Rinna flopped backwards onto the bed. She needed to pull herself together. Today was the day, Harry’s birthday, and she needed her defenses in order, damn it. She did not need Sirius sneaking in subconsciously, shaving away at emotional masonry already weakened by the Birthday Boy himself. And Harry had weakened her strongholds, she admitted to herself, and was well on his way to breaching them without even realizing it.

She briefly considered backing out of going to the party, but realized that would be unconscionable; she would not deliberately hurt her godson. She heaved herself off the bed and stumbled to the kitchen to brew herself some exceptionally strong tea to jumpstart her morning.

Her fingers reached for the back of her neck, kneading to release the tension there. She was surprised to feel the chain around her neck; she still was wearing the ruby necklace. It was odd that she hadn’t noticed it. When Sirius first gave it to her, it took a week to get used to the feel of it around her neck. She had been wearing it only twenty-four hours and was so accustomed to its pressure that she’d forgotten it was on her. It was almost as if her body retained the memory of how it had felt all those years she’d worn it.

She sighed. This was not going to help her get over Sirius. She had realized that her feelings for him had not abated, even after all the years they were stuffed away in the recesses of her heart. And yet, she knew that it was not logical to expect that anything could come of those feelings now. Sirius was long gone out of her life, and quite likely was glad of it, all things considered. She simply needed to get over him.

Now, if she could just get her heart on the same page as her brain…

She glanced at the clock. Remus was meeting her soon. She finished her tea and scones, and went to change. She stood in front of her vanity, looking at the reflection of the necklace against her bare skin. She reached up to take it off, but stopped. It really was quite beautiful. And it would complement the summer dress she would change into for the party later. And, if she was honest with herself, now that she had found it again, she was loathe to part with it. Her contemplation was interrupted by the chime of her front door.

Damn Remus and his promptness!

She pulled on a U2 t-shirt from the concert she and Dorrie had gone to last year, and a pair of cropped jeans, and ran to get the door.

Remus smiled and raised his eyebrows. “Are you running late?” he asked her.

“No,” she snapped. “You are just running annoyingly early.”

He followed her down the hall and stood in the doorway of her room, leaning against the door frame and adopting a look of long-suffering patience. “Do you have your gift? And your clothes for the party? What about your broom?”

“Yes, yes and yes. I just have to get some trainers on, for crying out loud! You act like I haven’t even gotten out of my pajamas yet.”

He chuckled. “I’ve obviously underestimated your ability to function before eleven in the morning. I was expecting to have to drag you out of bed.”

“Ha! That just shows that you don’t know me as well as you think you do, Remus Lupin.”

Remus grinned. “Maybe I need to study the subject more,” he suggested roguishly.

Rinna looked up at his mock-innocent expression and felt her heart melt. He was so sweet and charming, and he was here. She felt that flutter she remembered from school in her ribcage. She was forced to admit she was once again harboring an earnest crush over Remus.

Rinna, this is Harry’s day. You will focus on your godson. You are going to put all thoughts of Remus and Sirius aside and not think about them any more today. She looked in the mirror one last time, noting that the necklace was now hidden under her t-shirt. She grabbed her bag with all her things, and turned for the door.

The sight of him leaning against the doorway, smiling impishly elevated her heart rate. Blast it! Remus was not going to make it easy to stop thinking about him, not if he intended to look at her like that today. She tried to get her thoughts and her pulse under control.

Remus saw her expression change. “Are you all right?”

“Oh, uh…” she stammered, “just a bit of nerves; it’s been years since I played Quidditch.” It was true; she was feeling a little apprehensive about the upcoming match.

“You’ll be in good company though. Charlie Weasley and Harry Potter are two of Hogwarts best Seekers,” he said reassuringly.

She scowled playfully at him. “Where is your loyalty, Lupin? What about James Potter?”

“James was excellent, to be sure, but Charlie was legendary, and Harry has established such a reputation in the three years he’s been playing that he will likely eclipse Charlie’s legacy.”

“Remy, if you are trying to calm my nerves, you are failing miserably…”

“You’ll be fine. You were an excellent player yourself.”

“Right. You do know that your use of the past tense isn’t helping any, don’t you?” she grimaced.

Remus rolled his eyes. “What are you so afraid of? What’s the worst thing that could happen…you fall off your broom?”

“No, the worst case scenario is that I play badly and make an ass out of myself!”

“Hmmm…Playing badly is worse than severe bodily harm. It’s nice to know you still have those skewed Quidditch priorities, Dunlevy,” he said sarcastically.

Rinna walked over to him and gently pinched his mouth together with her hand. “Oh, shut it, you!”

Remus grabbed her hand, and before she could react, he turned her hand up and dropped a kiss into her palm whilst simultaneously wiggling his eyebrows suggestively. She gasped slightly and leaned in toward him. Remus dropped her hand and cupped her cheek as their lips met in a languorous kiss.

When they broke apart, she brought her hand to his cheek, mirroring his position. “Now there will be no more of that today, Mr. Lupin,” she said primly. “I’m not prepared for the full scale inquiry that will happen if Molly Weasley catches wind of any of this, and I suspect you aren’t either.”

“Heavens, no!” He pretended horror at the thought. Then he smirked at her. “I’ll behave myself if you do!”

“I will be the picture of propriety,” she smirked back.

Remus held out his arm to her, “Shall we be off, then?”

She took his arm and beamed at him, “By all means, yes.”





Blue eyes snapped open and his body sat bolt upright as Sirius tried to wrench himself from a pleasant dream turned nightmare…

She pushes her long red hair out of her face and smiles up at him, slipping her hand behind his neck and pulling him down to her waiting mouth. Her kiss scorches him, leaving him with pain and longing as she pulls away. She avoids his eyes, and he growls in anger…he grasps her roughly by the shoulders and turns her around to face away from him…she screams and struggles in his grip…he shoves her roughly away from him toward…toward…black eyes lit with unholy red, black eyes that glitter in triumph as he shoves her toward…the Dark Lord…she screams…

“No…” he panted as he swept sweat from his brow. Was it true? Had he pushed her toward…? No, no, no…Besides, he refused to believe that Rinna would have been allowed within ten kilometers of Harry if she had turned coat all those years ago. Dumbledore or Lupin would have made sure of it.

Sirius wished he could contact Lupin, but without an owl, it was impossible. If he had been thinking straight the other day, he would have had Hedwig deliver a letter to him, too. As it was, he had no idea where his friend was staying. He had no idea where Rinna was staying. But he did know where Harry was: the Weasleys. He knew exactly where he was going; he’d been there many times all those years ago. He pictured himself walking up to the Weasleys’ front porch with flowers or candy in his hands…Rinna throwing herself into his arms with a girly squeal… he shook his head to loosen the grip of the memory.

The dawn was breaking. He’d only had about two hours of sleep, but he estimated he could make it to Ottery St. Catchpole by early to mid-afternoon if he pressed on. He needed to get on the road. He’d lost track of the days, but today was either the 30th or the 31st. Harry’s birthday. He didn’t have a present for his godson, but he would make that up to him. Once he had found Rin…er, once he made sure Harry was safe.




Rinna and Remus walked up the steps to the front porch of the Burrow and knocked at the door. Molly greeted them warmly and handed them each a tall glass of lemonade. She gestured for them to follow her to the orchard. Several chaises had been set out in the clearing near the orchard, affording a decent view of what would soon be occurring over the trees. Tables had been placed strategically, laden with fruit and cookies and pitchers of lemonade.

Bill, Charlie, Ron and Harry were setting up the last hoop. They waved to the newcomers, and flew down to join the others in the clearing. “Right,” said Charlie, “looks like we’re all here. Who’s playing?” Eight hands shot up while the non-players made their way to the chaises.

Rinna moved over to stand near Harry, saying quietly, “Happy Birthday, Harry.”

“Thanks,” he replied, feeling a little awkward around her.

She could sense it. “I’m really glad to be here,” she said sincerely. Then her voice became playful, “but…”

“But what?”

She smiled cheekily, “I should have my head examined!” On seeing Harry’s eyebrows knit together in puzzlement, she explained, “I must have been completely nutters to agree to play Quidditch with all you young upstarts. Do you have any idea how long it has been since I’ve sat on a broom?”

The grin on Harry’s face was pure impudence. “Well, actually I do. It was a few nights ago. I saw you.”

Rinna rolled her eyes. “I meant how long it has been since I’ve been on a broom and played Quidditch, scamp!” She grinned back at him, grateful that the tension between them had eased.

Harry attempted to school his face to a more respectful look, with minimal success. “Then no, I don’t. How long has it been?”

“Long enough that I’ll likely be very sore tomorrow!”

They were interrupted by Charlie, “I say, are you two even listening?” Harry and Rinna snapped to attention under Charlie’s glare. Then Rinna glanced sideways at Harry and raised her eyebrow conspiratorially. He snickered, but quickly put on a guileless face when Charlie glanced sharply at them. Charlie was certainly taking his self-appointed role of Game Captain seriously. He continued, “How does this sound: two games that last 45 minutes, or until the snitch is caught, with the option of a third match of thirty minutes if we’re not all beat?” Everyone nodded in agreement.

“Right then. Is everyone all right with playing any position? We won’t have any Beaters, of course,” he glanced at Fred and George. With only four players on each team, there was no need for Beaters. The twins groaned.

“I suppose, Fred, that we will have to debase ourselves and play the lowly position of Seeker,” said George resignedly, pointedly looking at Charlie and Harry.

Fred heaved sigh of deep suffering. “I’m afraid so, George. Or worse, we’ll be Chasers!” He glanced at Bill.

“Now don’t start a row about what is the best position to play,” Bill advised. “You’ll never get a consensus from this lot!”

Harry turned to Rinna. “What position did you play at school, Rinna?” he asked curiously.

“Oh, well…I played all of them, actually.” She saw puzzled expressions, so she added, “I spent two years as an alternate before I made the team.” Harry nodded. Alternate players, of course, served their team by filling in if a regular player could not practice or compete, but they also served the important role of playing “opposing” team members during practice. A good alternate could play any position, and switched as needed during practice to help hone the team’s skills.

Charlie had conjured sixteen chips, eight charmed with each player’s name, and four with each team’s colors and positions. Then he pulled out eight jerseys. “The teams are Red vs. Green.”

“Why do they have to be green?” asked Harry as he picked up a dark green jersey with distaste. “It looks too Slytherin.”

Bill and Charlie glanced up at Rinna, who smiled slightly and shrugged, tilting her head at Harry. “He is the Birthday Boy, after all,” she said. “Let Harry choose the team colors.”

“Red vs. Blue,” Harry said decisively. The jerseys and chips changed from green to blue.

“Then the last thing we need to discuss is the rules…”

“Crikey, Charlie,” protested George, “we’re never going to play at this rate!” Fortunately, the rules for Backyard Quidditch were rather simple, and the huddle to hash out the issues of penalties and other important details was short.

Charlie requested that Molly and Remus officiate, and they were each handed a whistle. The chips were placed in bowls, and Molly chose the players names, while Remus chose the team chip. Team Blue consisted of George as Keeper, Rinna as Seeker, and Harry and Ron as Chasers. Charlie was the Keeper for Team Red, and Bill was the Seeker, leaving Fred and Ginny as Chasers.

Everyone kicked off the ground to hover above the orchard. Rinna flew up next to Harry. “Not too many of us playing our best positions, are there?” she asked, deviously. Harry glanced twice at her. There was a very wicked smirk on her face.

“Just what is your best position, anyway?” He asked in suspicion. He did not get an answer, for just then the balls were released and the game began.

Had they charged several galleons for admittance, the match would have been well worth it for sheer entertainment value alone. The first fifteen minutes was a comedy of errors and at times, it was all they could do to stay on their brooms, everyone was laughing so hard. Then, as everyone grew more comfortable, the play got more serious. As a whole, the teams were pretty evenly matched, although Team Red had the advantage of Ginny playing in her element; she was a natural Chaser. Thirty-five minutes into it, the score was 60-40 to Red’s advantage.

“C’mon!” Harry roared to his team. “We can take ‘em!”

“Ha!” Ginny taunted. “You cannot overcome the advantage of an all-Weasley team!”

Since the rules allowed for it with such small teams, Bill and Rinna had been doing a fair bit of Chasing during the match, as the Snitch had yet to make an appearance. “I hope the Snitch shows up soon,” Bill muttered to Charlie. “There isn’t much time left to the match.”

Just then, as if on cue, a flicker of gold flashed in Bill’s periphery. He veered and took off. Rinna didn’t even bother to search the sky; she merely accelerated in Bill’s direction. Once she saw where he was heading, she ascended to a position above him and slightly to his right, eyes roaming eagerly. She did pay close attention to Bill, in case he was bluffing.

There! A flash of gold to her left. But Bill was closer, damn it. Had he seen it? She banked sharply, and sliced downward, cutting Bill off from the Snitch. He yelled indignantly, and she merely cackled merrily as she swerved again, hot on the trail of the golden ball. She could feel that Bill was close behind her. Hoping that Bill would follow her misdirection, she dropped into a steep descent. When she was sure Bill was following, she slowed slightly, and as he passed her she pulled up sharply, rapidly ascending again. It was a gamble…had she lost the Snitch?

Once more the gold glint caught her eye and she zoomed toward it. She heard Bill shouting and cursing below her…he’d cottoned on to her ruse, it seemed. She had one last trick up her sleeve. She flew at a level above the plane of the Snitch’s flight, hoping Bill would think the Snitch was above her, since everyone knew it was far easier to reach up for it. Apparently the plan was working, as Bill was now above her and slightly behind. She was so close… just a few more feet and she would have it.

Continuing her deception, she reached up as she put on a burst of speed. Bill angled downward, and closed the distance, even though he could not see the Snitch. At the last moment, Rinna flung herself to the side, one leg hooking on the broom as she reached downward and grabbed the Snitch with a triumphant yell. Bill brushed by overhead, and had she not been hanging under her broom by one hand and one leg, she might have been knocked off.

Bill circled her. “That was a dirty trick!” he shouted, but he was grinning.

“What were you going to do: go through me to catch it?” she countered.

“I was going to knock you away, if you must know,” he retorted.

“Ah, so THAT’S how you treat a lady!” she scolded as she swung herself back onto her broom.

“Rinna, darling,” Bill drawled as they began a lazy descent to the clearing, “in Quidditch, there are no ladies.”

The two were mobbed as they landed. Rinna held up the Snitch in victory as Harry, Ron and George cheered. “What in the bloody name of Quidditch was THAT?” Fred asked Rinna.

“THAT, my dear Fred,” she said, her manner pure braggadocio, “was what took my team out of third place and put it in the running for the House Cup my seventh year!”

Harry grinned. He’d followed her every move, anticipating what she was going to do, and had been enthralled. He’d done similar bluffs many times, but it was fun to watch someone else pull it off. “You played Seeker then, your final year?”

“I did for the last two matches, after our Seeker cracked his skull and went temporarily blind in one eye.”

“So, you won the first of the two matches, then,” Ron said. She nodded. “How’d you do on the last one?”

She grinned exultantly. “Let’s just say, we won the House Cup.”

The players took a quick break to drink lemonade and nibble on cookies. Remus sidled up to Rinna and said quietly, “What the bloody hell was that all about, Miss Pomposity? I think you just out-swaggered James and Sirius combined!” He regretted his words when he saw her face fall a bit at the mention of Sirius’ name.

She quickly recovered, however. “That, my friend, was proving a point.”

“What point would that be, exactly? Never underestimate the old folks?”

She grimaced at him. “You’re a funny man today, aren’t you? I’ll have you know, I am like a fine wine. I get better with age!”

Remus eyes twinkled. “Uh huh.” He paused. “Was it worth it; proving your non-existent point?”

“Yes. But remind me of that tomorrow when I’m groaning and I can’t move,” she chuckled ruefully.

The second match pitted Harry, Ginny, George and Bill against Ron, Rinna, Fred and Charlie. Rinna and Harry drew the Keeper positions, Ginny and Charlie were the Seekers. Charlie grabbed the Snitch about twenty-five minutes into the game.

“Everyone up for one more short one?” Charlie called. No one wanted to say no, even though everyone was hot and sweaty, so the final lineup was drawn. Rinna and George were Chasers, Fred the Seeker and Bill was the Keeper for Team Red. Ron was Keeper, Ginny and Charlie were Chasers and Harry was the Seeker for Team Blue.

Fred groaned, “We don’t have a chance against them with Harry as their Seeker!” He glanced hopefully at Rinna. “Wanna be Seeker again?”

“Rather not, Fred. Chaser was actually my favorite position. I played it for two and a half years.”

“Well I hope you are bloody brilliant at it, because otherwise we are doomed,” Fred pronounced gloomily.

The game was actually rather intense, and the Chasers for both teams were moving all over. The Keepers were forced to work hard as the Quaffles were flung at the hoops practically non-stop. Everyone knew it was the last match and they were giving it everything they had.

Bill spotted the Snitch and signaled to Fred, but Harry had seen it, too. Fred was no match for Harry, but he put forth valiant effort and made Harry work hard to catch it.

Everyone landed, panting for breath, their hot cheeks reddened with exertion. They were hot, sweaty and tired, but pleased with the games. Harry thought he’d never had so much fun. He grinned as Hermione ran up to him to hug him, and laughed when she pulled back at the last minute.

“Ugh. You’re all sweaty,” she complained.

“Sorry. Does that mean I’m not huggable, then?”

She tilted her head and looked at him playfully. “Oh, you are always huggable. I just choose to do it when you are cleaned up and smell nicer!”

“Will I get a hug if I clean up, Mione?” asked Ron with a wistful look on his face.

“I suppose that will depend on how nice you smell, too!” she retorted. She turned back to Harry. “That was so much fun!”

“Yeah!” Harry agreed.

“Your godmother is a good player,” Ron commented as they followed the others back to the house to clean up and get ready for the rest of the party. “She was brilliant Chasing in that last match.”

Harry grinned. “And she had everybody fooled in the first match. That was a cunning move she pulled on Bill!”

“Well, that was certainly the happiest I’ve ever seen her look,” Hermione said thoughtfully.

Harry studied Rinna’s back as she walked with Bill and Charlie and Professor Lupin. They were laughing about something. She certainly seemed happier and more playful than the other times he’d seen her. He liked seeing this side of his godmother; he imagined that this is what she must have been like around his mother.




It took some time for everyone to get cleaned up and dressed for the festivities. Of course, that was to be expected with eight people vying for two bathrooms. What wasn’t expected was the twins charming the upstairs shower to spew out maple syrup instead of water. Harry had been given the “honor” of getting first crack at the showers, it being his birthday. Two seconds after turning on the spigot, he realized he’d been set up.

The last thing George and Fred saw before locking themselves safely in their bedroom was an enraged fourteen-year-old, wrapped in a towel, dark hair plastered to his skull, leaving sticky footprints in the hall as he charged at them, green eyes snapping, yelling, “YOU ARE SO DEAD!”

Fortunately for Harry, the girls were using the bath downstairs in Molly and Arthur’s room and did not see him in his state of sticky undress. Once Bill could stop laughing, he set the shower to rights and scourgified the stairs and the hallway. Harry managed to get the syrup out of his hair.

Hermione found Harry in the living room, alone, which was unusual for this house. He was looking out the window thoughtfully. She thought he looked very nice in his jeans and button-down shirt. She moved close to him. “I hear you got yourself in a sticky situation up there,” she said with a laugh.

Harry groaned at her pun. “It wasn’t my doing, I’ll tell you that.” He turned and grinned wickedly at her. “So I’m just standing here plotting my sweet revenge…”

It was Hermione’s turn to groan. “I will not be pulled into a pun war, Mr. Potter!”

“Why not? Afraid you’d lose?”

Hermione tossed her hair. “Oh please, I would not lose! I am a witty and intelligent person and I can make puns with the best of them!”

Harry’s mouth stretched into his charming grin as he said, “You’ll get no argument from me there.”

Hermione felt herself flush under the intensity of Harry’s smile. “Well, I, uh… I was looking for you to… uh…”

“Give me the hug you owe me?” he asked.

“Oh. Right.” She stepped up to him and put her arms around his neck. “Happy Birthday, Harry.”

Harry put his arms around her waist and hugged her tight, resting his cheek against hers. “Thanks, Mione!” She smelled like flowers and sunshine, and she felt warm and comfortable against him.

She spoke into his shoulder, “You smell nice.”

“That was part of the deal, wasn’t it? I clean up and smell nice, and I get a hug from my favorite girl.” He pulled away slightly and looked into her face, his smile even wider than before. He watched as her lips quirked upward and she blushed a little. His stomach suddenly felt tingly. He couldn’t take his eyes off her mouth.

Hermione felt Harry’s heartbeat quicken. At least she thought it was his, but it could easily be hers, she realized, since she was feeling warm and giddy all of a sudden. She felt herself leaning toward him unconsciously. She saw his eyes widen.

Harry’s head inclined towards hers as he locked his gaze on her brown eyes. Her eyes slid shut just a fraction of a second before their lips touched. Her mouth felt smooth and cushy and warm against his. He thought his heart might punch through his chest.

They pulled apart and Hermione, for once in her life, could not form a single coherent thought in her head. She felt like she was filled with helium, about to float away. She opened her eyes to his brilliant green ones. “Wow,” she breathed.

“Yeah, wow,” Harry agreed.

The sound of feet clomping down the stairs shattered the moment. “Oy, Harry! Where are you, mate?” came Ron’s voice. Hermione and Harry quickly stepped apart, a second before Ron came bounding into the room. He grabbed Harry by the elbow, tugging him toward the door. “I have a fantastic idea on how to get back at Fred and George. Now’s our chance, but we’ve got to hurry!”

Harry turned to smile apologetically at Hermione. She smiled back and watched Ron pull him unceremoniously from the room. Her fingers drifted up to her lips, and she stood deep in thought until she heard Ginny call her name.

“Oh, there you are!” Ginny said. “Did you find out?”

“Find out what?” asked Hermione, confused.

“What flavor ice cream Harry wants.” Ginny put her hands on her hips in a fair imitation of her mother. “Honestly, what have you been doing all this time?”

“Oh…uh…I tried to ask him, but Ron came and grabbed him away,” Hermione stammered.

Ginny gave her a funny look before flouncing off muttering, “If you want something done right...”




Rinna stepped out of the Weasleys’ master bedroom to find Charlie and Remus leaning in the hallway talking animatedly. Charlie saw her first and he stopped mid-sentence. “Lupin, I think I’m seeing a vision!” he said dramatically.

Remus turned and took her in and had to agree with Charlie. Although she wasn’t wearing one of the sexy little numbers she wore to work, she still looked fantastic in a sleeveless summer dress and heeled sandals. “Hmm…you clean up nicely, Dunlevy,” he said with a grin, since he couldn’t say what he really wanted to in front of Charlie.

She stuck her tongue out at him, then turned to Charlie with a cheeky smile and asked, “Are you always such a flirt, Charlie Weasley?”

Charlie gave her a small bow. “Yes, ma’am, I’m afraid so. It’s drop-dead-gorgeous women like you that bring it out in me!”

She laughed, catching Remus’ scowl out of the corner of her eye. “I’m heading into the kitchen to see if Molly needs any help. Would either of you louts care to join me?” she asked.

Charlie looked positively alarmed. “Uh, I think I’ll go see what kind of prank Ron and Harry cooked up to get back at the twins,” he said as he moved quickly for the stairs.

Rinna looked at Remus. “Well, care to lend a hand to kitchen work?” she asked pertly.

“Only because it means I’ll get to be close to you,” he replied suavely.

Her eyebrows rose. “Goodness that was smooth! Have you been taking lessons from Charlie?”

“I’ll have you know,” he said haughtily, “that I was charming the ladies while Charlie Weasley was still wiping snot on his sleeves.”

She reached up and patted his cheek. “You are adorable when you are delusional, did you know?” She squealed as he lunged for her, and scuttled out of the way, making quickly for the kitchen across the house. He caught up with her at the kitchen door, and pinched her in the side as she stepped through. She gave a squeak of surprise which caused Molly to turn around.

“Would you like some help, Molly?” Rinna asked, color high in her cheeks.

Molly appraised the two of them, looking for all the world like teenagers on a lark. “I’d probably better put both of you to work,” she said, her stern tone belied by her twitching mouth. “You look like you will get into mischief otherwise.” She pointed to the plates and silverware. “You can start with setting the table, please.”

“You are right to keep her occupied, Molly,” Remus teased. “I’m sure you remember what a troublemaker she used to be!”

Molly pointed a wooden spoon at him, her eyes twinkling. “Detention for you, Professor, for your cheek! Now get those glasses and set them out.” Remus pretended to give wide berth to her spoon and moved to comply.

Molly turned to Rinna and looked her up and down. “Rinna, dear, I remember that necklace. It looks smashing with that dress, like they were meant to be together!” Molly smiled. Rinna’s hand went to her neck as her cheeks turned pink again.

Remus looked across the table at Rinna and studied the pendant closely. He hadn’t really even noticed it until Molly pointed it out. Suddenly, a memory blossomed in his head.

“Come on, Moony, I need your help. I don’t know the first thing about buying jewelry for a girl,” Sirius pleading as he pulled Remus into a small shop in Hogsmeade…

Oh yes, he remembered being forced to accompany Sirius that day, obviously for the sole purpose of moral support since he wasn’t any more experienced at buying gems for girlfriends than Sirius was. He remembered Sirius’ resolute search for the perfect ruby, and how momentous the occasion felt; Sirius had revealed that he was sure “she is the one!” It was that day that Remus realized that Sirius’ heart had been completely captured by a certain Titian-haired lass, and Remus had determined to never entertain any romantic notions of Rinna again.

At the same moment that he felt guilt pierce his heart as he considered the more-than-platonic relationship that appeared to be budding between him and Rinna, a thought seared his mind: why is she wearing that necklace again?




Had anyone been standing outside the Burrow when the word was given that dinner was ready, they would have been convinced that a herd of wild animals was trapped inside the house and was stampeding, the din of more than a dozen people moving toward the kitchen was so loud. Then the laughter broke loose as Fred and George made their entrance, dressed completely in magenta-colored clothes all the way down to their trainers and socks (and quite possibly their underwear, but everyone was laughing too hard to ask). No one needed to inquire as to how Harry and Ron’s prank turned out; it was obviously quite successful. Even Percy was chuckling.

After dinner, the entire troupe filed into the living room for the opening of presents. Harry was given the natty wingback chair as the place of honor, and was handed gifts, lemonade and more gifts. The room was full of laughter and good cheer and Harry took a minute to bask in the feeling of being the center of it all. This ranked right up there with catching his first snitch and how he felt each time he returned to Hogwarts.

The gifts ranged from the extremely practical (broomstick polish) to the unexciting (socks) to the thoughtful (a Quidditch-fact-a-day planner from Hermione). From Professor Lupin he received a book titled Producing a Patronus, and other Defensive Magic by Gerald LaGuardia. Rinna had also given him books: one on the history and evolution of competition broomsticks, and the other Abercrombie to Wronski: The World’s Top Quidditch Players of this Century. Harry beamed as he thanked everyone.

After everyone had thumbed through the books and inspected and handled the various other gifts (except, perhaps, the socks), when the conversation had died to a low buzz, Molly suggested that everyone move back into the kitchen for cake and homemade ice cream. She had finally obtained the necessary information to produce Harry’s favorite flavor: strawberry.

The kids settled at one end of the magically elongated table, the adults at the other closest to the back door. Fourteen candles were lit on the cake for Harry to blow out, which he did to loud applause. As everyone enjoyed the dessert, the group broke up into little conversations. While he was scraping the last of the delicious ice cream from his bowl, Harry caught the mention of his godfather’s name at the opposite end of the table and did his best to eavesdrop on the discussion.

“So, Remus,” Molly said, “the kids told us about what happened at the end of term. It makes me furious to think that we harbored that, that, that sneaking traitor Pettigrew all this time!” Molly scowled one of her most terrifying scowls. Then her expression softened. “Sirius is truly innocent, then?”

“Yes, Molly, it’s true. I saw Pettigrew with my own eyes. He faked everything and set Sirius up to take the fall. Sirius is innocent.”

Molly turned to Rinna with, “Well, this is good news!” She saw the look on Rinna’s face: a mixture of sadness, guilt and regret. “Isn’t it?” Rinna didn’t answer. “Rinna?”

Rinna sighed. “Well, of course it’s good news, Molly. It means that Sirius isn’t a murderer,” she said unenthusiastically.

“That’s not what I mean, missy!”

By this point, Ron and Hermione had noticed that Harry was listening to the adults and tuned their ears to the exchange as well.

Rinna sighed again, “I know, Molly.”

Rinna was behaving unexpectedly, but Molly continued gamely on, “But if Pettigrew is found, and Sirius’ name is cleared, well then the two of you could…”

“It’s complicated, Molly,” Rinna interrupted brusquely, as she glanced at Remus, eyes full of emotion.

Molly opened her mouth to respond, and then closed it. “I see.” She watched as Remus and Rinna eyed each other and a small suspicion began to form in her mind. She decided to test her theory. “This ‘complication,’ it wouldn’t be a recent one, now would it?”

Rinna pulled her gaze away from Remus, confirming in Molly’s mind that they had been attempting some form of silent communication. “No. I’m afraid it is something rather regrettable from a long time ago,” she said glumly.

Molly felt the small bit of hope that Rinna and Sirius might finally find the happiness that had eluded them for so long start to dissolve. “Is it repairable?” she asked softly.

Rinna put her head in her hand and rubbed her temples. “To be honest, Molly, I don’t know. I doubt it.” She got up abruptly, growing a little agitated at the uncomfortable situation she found herself in. “Besides, what is the point? Sirius is long gone, hopefully well hidden, and it is highly unlikely that I will see him anytime in the near future anyway!”

Of course Molly would expect that Rinna and Sirius get back together. As far as she knew, there was no other man in Rinna’s life. And Molly had no idea of the rift Rinna had caused, that she had damaged her relationship with Sirius quite likely beyond repair. The close proximity of so many people began to press in on Rinna claustrophobically, and she desperately needed some air and some space. She turned and went out the kitchen door, seeking the solace of the backyard, the weight of Molly’s expectations heavy on her heart.




It was sometime after three-thirty in the afternoon when Sirius trotted past the main street of Ottery St. Catchpole and onto the lane to the Burrow. His footpads were sore, and there were burrs in his coat. He was tired, but he was so close now. He rounded a bend in the road and there it was, looking exactly as he remembered it: defying all the laws of magic and physics by staying upright. Now he would need to stay out of sight until he could catch Harry alone. He made his way to the backyard and positioned himself strategically in some bushes on a little rise by the side garden gate. It afforded him a view of the back porch and the yard.

He tested the air with his heightened dog senses. There was definitely a party going on; he could smell all the cooking, and the sweetness of freshly baked cake. He felt his stomach rumble. He settled his head on his paws, and waited.

The back door opened, and from his spot in the bushes, Sirius had an unobstructed view. His eyes fell upon a woman with short red hair, not Weasley red, but darker. It wasn’t until she began to walk down the steps of the porch that he truly registered it was her. Rinna… He would recognize that walk, the sway of her hips and the way she carried herself anywhere. After all, he’d seen it behind closed eyelids every day that he’d been incarcerated.

His mouth went dry, and he couldn’t seem to move. He watched as a scene began to unfold. Remus had followed her out, and was calling to her. She was making her way to the side gate, and to his consternation, Sirius noted that she looked distressed.

Remus quickly took the steps and caught up with her about half-way across the lawn. He took her arm and spun her around, speaking softly and soothingly to her with words too quiet for Sirius to make out at that distance. Without thinking, Sirius slunk out of his hiding place and gravitated toward the garden gate, like a moon drawn to its planet.

-------- --------

Harry, Ron and Hermione watched as Rinna walked out the back door, followed by Professor Lupin. “Looks like we were right after all,” Hermione whispered.

Harry looked stricken. “I have to tell her that Sirius is coming back,” he said in an undertone, and got up to go out the door. Hermione and Ron followed him, and quickly shut the door behind them. They saw Rinna and Lupin deep in quiet dialogue, and Harry was about to move off the porch to go to them when Hermione dug her fingers into his elbow and pointed to the side gate.

The trio watched in stunned silence as a large black dog entered the garden, and changed into a tall, raggedy man.

“Oh no,” Harry breathed.

--------- ---------

Rinna was surprised when Remus stopped mid-sentence. His hand dropped from her arm, and his eyes widened. A look of stunned disbelief seized his face as he looked over her shoulder. She felt goose bumps break out on her arms, and the back of her neck prickled. She slowly turned around…a tall gaunt man stood not five feet away from her.

Her eyes traveled up his body, taking in the ragged clothes, the too thin frame, unkempt hair and beard. He was a stranger. Then she reached his eyes, stormy pools of cerulean blue swirling with emotions that she knew she did not want to name. She sucked in her breath sharply. “Sirius.”

“Hullo, Rinna.” The silence between them was heavy and the air itself felt weighted with heartache and recrimination. “I didn’t know if I’d ever see you again.”




A/N: Ooh, watch out for that cliff, people! And don’t forget to review; it will make me so happy!