Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Learning to Love by There you are Peter

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
AN: If you would like to read the original version of this (I suggest you do because it is better) then search Livs on HarryPotterFanFiction.com. Then come back and read this to tell me which you like better. Anyway - enjoy:


I've been watching your world from afar,
I've been trying to be where you are,
And I've been secretly falling apart,
I'll see.
To me, you're strange and you're beautiful,
You'd be so perfect with me but you just can't see,
You turn every head but you don't see me.

I'll put a spell on you,
You'll fall asleep and I'll put a spell on you.
And when I wake you,
I'll be the first thing you see, lyricstop
And you'll realise that you love me.

Sometimes, the last thing you want comes in first,
Sometimes, the frist thing you want never comes,
And I know, the waiting is all you can do,
Sometimes...

I'll put a spell on you,
You'll fall asleep,
I'll put a spell on you,
And when I wake you,
I'll be the first thing you see,
And you'll realise that you love me...




The last few days at Hogwarts passed uneventfully for Lily. Posters had gone up in the Gryffindor common room, advertising the party that was taking place after the Leaving Feast. Sirius was mysteriously busy and kept disappearing for hours at a time, much to Neala’s disappointment.

Now that the fifth year had done their OWLs, lessons were particularly easy. The teachers, even McGonagall, were allowing them to spend their lessons lazily chatting to one another and occasionally practicing the odd spell. It was in Charms, when Professor Flitwick had told his students to ‘amuse themselves’ while he spent the lesson cleaning his office, that Lily sat with Neala, discussing plans for the summer.

“I won’t be able to get away soon enough!” Lily complained. “Shame we can’t use magic outside of school yet…I’d love to Bat Bogey Hex her…”

At that moment, the door swung open and Sirius casually walked into the classroom, apparently unnoticed by Flitwick. He grinned at Neala as he passed her desk and took a seat behind them with the rest of the Marauders. Neala swivelled in her seat to face him.

“Where’ve you been?” she said, tucking her hair behind her ear.

“Just…preparing,” Sirius said, winking. “You’re beauty outstands me every time I see you.”

Lily sighed and looked away from the sickening couple to her right. She was getting fed up of those two breaking into speeches declaring their undying love.

“It’s enough to make you sick,” she said to Remus, tilting her head towards Sirius.

“Tell me about it,” he said.

Lily picked up her quill and began doodling on the corner of his parchment.

“Have you got a date for the party yet?” he asked, after a few moments.

“We’re meant to have dates?” she said, looking up at him.

Sirius leaned over and joined in the conversation. Lily was very aware that James was listening closely, even though his back was turned to them.

“Yepp,” said Sirius. “Can’t get in without a date.”

“Well…uh,” Lily stammered. “What if I don’t want a date?”

“Then you can’t come to the party. Rules are rules, Lily.”

Lily looked at him, looked at Remus, looked back to Sirius and then over at James, who was staying unusually still through all this.

“I get it,” she said, slowly. “This is when you tell me the only person without a date is Potter and so you may as well go together-”

James turned around.

“Evans,” he said quickly. “I swear to you “ I am not involved in any of this.”

She looked into his eyes and felt her stomach squeeze, before looking back at Sirius.

“Well,” she said impatiently. “Was it a plot?”

Sirius watched her warily and then shrugged.

“It was worth a try,” he said and turned back to Neala. James was still looking at her anxiously.

“I believe you…but that was a pretty poor plan, I must say,” she said raising her voice so Sirius could hear.

The bell rang and they began to pack away their things. Lily had a feeling that the others were rushing off on purpose so that she and James had to walk together. Apparently he had noticed too.

“Uh,” said James, nervously. “That wasn’t me either…”

Lily smiled with the knowledge that, if she ever told anyone about these strange feelings she had been having, then they probably wouldn’t disapprove. Together, they made their way out of the classroom.


*

James and his friends made their way back to the common room after their last lesson in fifth year. Sirius seemed to be buzzing, obviously looking forward to the party later, but the other two were subdued. Peter wasn’t “ he was just quiet as usual. They made their way through the portrait hole and were greeted by the comforting sight of the common room. A few people were milling about, apparently collecting items they had left lying around over the year. The boys made their way up to the dormitory to pack.

“You know,” said Sirius, who was babbling rapidly. “If it wasn’t for this party, I’d be pretty damn miserable. James, how soon can I come to yours? Hey, you know what we could do?! We could invite Neala over and you could invite Lily and we could have another party, oh and you two would come as well, obviously. We could use your garden “ we could have a marquee!” He gesticulated wildly above his head, trying to convey the scale of his scheme.

“Uh, Sirius, mate, are you sure you haven’t been drinking coffee?” said James, grinning at his friend.

But Sirius wasn’t listening. He had tried to summon all his things from the room and make them fly into his trunk. However, they had all hit him and he had been pushed back onto his bed.

“Well that worked (!)” said Sirius sarcastically and he began throwing his things into his trunks, though still muttering excitedly.

James turned his back on his friend and began to pack away all the things around his bed. As he did so, he heard a knock on the door. Sirius ran frantically towards it and wrenched it open.

“LILY!” he yelled.

James walked quickly over to the door and pushed Sirius out of the way.

“What’s his problem?” said Lily, looking half puzzled and half amused.

“Um…too much coffee…” said James looking round at him. “Or something like that…” They both watched Sirius sing merrily to himself as he tried to rescue a sock from under his bed.

“Anyway,” she said, shyly. “I just wanted to return this.” She held out the blanket that James had given her the night they had kissed. He felt fireworks go off inside him with the memory but tried to look unconcerned.

“Oh, err, thanks,” he said quietly.

“Well, I’ll see you at the feast then.”

“Yeah…see you.”

James watched her leave, red hair dancing on her shoulders as she walked.


*

Dumbledore clapped his hands for quiet and the chattering of the students faded into muttering and finally silence. The headmaster stood up and surveyed the school.

“Speeches are like after dinner mints “ they are for after dinner,” he said, a slight smile on his face. “Let’s eat.”

The table in front of Lily suddenly became laden with all kinds of wonderful food. To her left, Neala was helping herself to shepherd’s pie and carrots and to her right, Remus had selected a large steak and was now tucking in hungrily. Peter, who was sitting opposite her, was spooning mashed potato onto his plate eagerly and James was quietly wrapping spaghetti round his fork. Lily served herself some roast chicken and potatoes and began to eat.

“Where’s Sirius?” said Neala to no one in particular, pausing from eating.

Everyone glanced up and down the table.

“Dunno,” said James. “Maybe he was so excited about the party he accidentally locked himself in the trunk.”

Remus, Peter and Lily sniggered but Neala looked concerned.

“Do you think he’s all right?” she said, craning her neck as if expecting to be able to see him. The others laughed again. Lily looked around at them all and realised how much she’d miss them over the summer. She looked at Neala and felt a slight pang of sadness when she thought about not seeing her best friend for eight weeks. The same happened as she glanced at Remus’ smiling face but she was surprised to find that it also happened when she looked at James. His eyes met hers, as though he could feel her looking at him, and she quickly went back to eating.

When everyone had finished their food, Dumbledore stood up once more.

“Now that everyone is a little fuller I would like to say a few words.” His face became more serious. “This year has been a good year…” He paused. “But none of us can be certain of the future…none of us can know what…some people…may decide to do. However, although we do not know the minds of others we can be prepared for their actions. Hold on to those you love and let them keep you strong. Good night.”

“Well,” said Remus, a slight crease between his eyebrows. “I guess that means that it’s going to get worse.” He sighed.

“What do you mean?” asked Neala, as they got up from the table with the rest of the students, all of whom were muttering together as they left.

“You heard what he said… ‘no one knows what some people might do’... give you three guesses as to who that is.”

“You mean…him?”

Remus nodded.

“But,” said Neala, who looked slightly panicked. “like Professor Dumbledore said…it’s been a good year. Nothing really bad’s happened…I mean they caught a few of his…you know…and that Ministry worker got killed…but he’s not murdering anyone or anything!”

“Not that we know of,” said James darkly. “Who knows what he’s up to…?”

“You mean he’s been doing things in secret?” said Neala as they climbed the stairs. “How?”

“I don’t know,” said James “I’m not a dark wizard.”

The five of them walked along the corridor in silence and Lily thought over what Dumbledore had said…none of us can be certain of the future… hold on to those you love… did that mean that the people she loved were at risk?
They approached the portrait hole and, after Peter had said the password, it swung open and they entered.

All thoughts of dark wizards and murder flew out of Lily’s head as they were greeted by a wave of celebration. The common room walls had been decked with banners that were enchanted to look like they were standing in a large garden. Looking around, Lily could see a fountain with sparkling water shooting out of the top, trees whose leaves swayed in the warm breeze coming through the windows and real butterflies that flew in and out of the hangings. Lily put out her hand to touch one of the walls and had almost expected to fall straight through into the garden but her fingertips only brushed the canvas. The ceiling was covered in magical balloons that were a pearly blue colour and seemed to glow, casting a pale light over the Gryffindors below them. Tables had been set up around the room bearing various items of food and drink and faint music was coming from some sort of gramophone in the corner. She laughed incredulously.

“This is amazing!” she exclaimed, turning round to face the others who were all gazing around the room. “Who did it?”

“That would be me,” said Sirius from behind her. Neala squealed and, rushing forwards, flung her arms around his neck. He kissed her on the cheek and grinned. “Did I miss anything at the feast?”

The memory of Dumbledore’s speech returned to Lily and she saw that the others looked uneasy too.
“Nope,” said James quickly. “Nothing at all…anyway, this place looks great!” He clapped his friend on the back.

“Yeah, it took me bloody ages,” said Sirius, sweeping his hair back. “I couldn’t get the butterflies to go back through the banners…they kept flying into the walls and killing themselves.”

At that point someone shouted something and turned up the music. The people in the centre of the room began to dance as an upbeat song came on and Sirius and Neala bounced off to join them.

*

James sat on the step and watched her and Remus talking animatedly by one of the tables. The party was quieter now as some of the younger ones had gone to bed but there was still a large crowd of people dancing away. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. The summer was going to be long.

“Hey,” said Neala quietly, appearing next to him. “Can I sit?”

“Sure,” he said and patted the step next to him. She sat down and giggled.

“It’s been fun tonight,” she said, smiling.

“Mmm,” said James, still watching Lily.

“Or not…” Neala said as she followed his gaze. A look of understanding dawned on her face but quickly turned to concern. “James, you’re gonna be miserable for the rest of your life if you don’t forget about her you know…”

He looked down at Neala.

“I can’t, Nell,” he said miserably. “There’s something about her.” Lily was laughing at something Remus had said and James suddenly felt jealous.
“Wait…” he said as a thought crossed his mind. “She doesn’t like Moony does she?”

“What?!” shrieked Neala. “Come on…that’s like...do you like me, James?”

James was taken aback by this question.

“Well, yeah, but not like that, just as a““

“Exactly,” she said. “Just as a friend.”

They sat in silence for a moment until a slow song filled the room. Sirius made his way through the crowd and came over to them looking sincere.

“Neala, would you care to dance?” he said, bowing to her. She smiled.

“How could I resist?” she said, as he pulled her to her feet and they made their way into the middle of the room.

James was left alone on the step listening to the slow music. He watched Remus and Lily hug and she kissed him on the cheek before he walked away from her and made his way up to the boy’s dormitories. Lily turned towards the table.

She was alone. So was he. James stood up and, running a hand through his hair, made his way over to her.

“Hi,” he said quietly.

She turned around and saw him.

“Hi,” she replied. They looked at each other for a moment. “Good party.”

“Yeah,” said James, distracted by her face which, to him, had never looked more beautiful. She looked back expectantly, as though waiting for something. He smiled at her. This was his chance…

“Lily…” he said quietly. “There’s something that I want to say…”

“Yes?” she said, patiently.


“I know in the past I’ve been stupid and I’ve done things that …well, that I shouldn’t have done…”

He paused as she continued to watch him.

“But… after what Professor Dumbledore said today…about…holding on to those you love…and about letting them keep you strong…I wanted to…well…Lily…”

He took a deep breath.

“Without you I’m not strong…without you I’m nothing…”

She looked at him for a moment.

“Do you mean that?” she whispered.

“Yes,” said James, staring deep into her eyes. “I mean that.”

She reached up and put her arms around his neck. He didn’t look away from those emerald eyes as he slid his hands around her waist. As they kissed, the world around James dissolved…




AN: So here it is...I had to edit it slightly to get it accepted but just yell if you want to see the original version. I hope you liked reading it as much as i liked writing it. Livs xx

AN AGAIN: Ok so if you want to see the original then it is on HPFF under the name of Livs...I suggest you read both then you can tell me which one you like most. That would be cool. All my love xxLivsxx