Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Battle of Mind and Heart by mollyweasleyisfantastic

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: It's been forever, but here is the reveal. Harry is finally out as the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
-------------------------------------------------------

“Harry!” Ginny called from the table as she scrambled to make sure everything her husband would need was in order. “You’re going to be late!”

Harry stared at himself in the tall mirror for a minute longer. For years he’d gone without seeing himself in a mirror…days, weeks on end, and when he did see himself he would never recognize the face staring back. It was always pale, weak, slender and tired. Now, as he surveyed the form before him, clad in his professor robes and clean, but always messy hair, he once again found himself at a loss for the identity of such a man. His eyes weren’t gray anymore, they had color, burst, energy. The weary cheeks he’d known for so long had pink in them, a sign of vibrancy and life

“Harry?” Ginny’s soothing voice cooed into the room.

Harry watched her walk behind him and placed her hands on his shoulders, her face peeking out to the side.

“You look very handsome,” she whispered gently.

Harry turned to face her and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her in for a strong hug. Ginny fell into the embrace lovingly, knowing that her husband was terrified. If she could be there to support, she would, but they had agreed the best decision would be for her to remain at the house. There would be a lot of questions flying her way and someone needed to be ready for them.

“Ginny…” Harry started, “Everything is going to be all right.”

Ginny smiled at him, her eyes glowing into his own. “It will be, Harry. It will be.”

Harry stepped back and faced the mirror once more as Ginny straightened his tie and moved a stray hair from his eyes. She could feel her hands beginning to shake, but she had committed to herself not to let on that she was just as scared as he was. No sense in them both running about like chickens. She could release it all later, after this night was over. The echoes of the clock broke the silence and Harry grabbed Ginny’s hand. It was time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Inasmuch as we’ve adored Professor Lupin and enjoyed his time with us here at Hogwarts, a time comes for every person that directs towards a new adventure. For our dear friend and teacher, that time is now.” Hermione bobbled eloquently. She looked at Remus with love, her heart bursting that she would no longer get the pleasure of working with someone who had become such a wonderful friend in these years of her life.

The Great Hall was crammed. Every student was squished into their house table, feet tapping, fingers rapping against the wood and floors, anxiously awaiting the main event: the new teacher. James, in particular found himself sweating beneath his dark robes. He tried to hide his concern from everyone else, but it was difficult to notice. While the others seemed curious and excited, nervousness and fear seemed to overwhelm the young Potter’s face.

“As we say good-bye to such an esteemed educator, I ask that we remember the glorious moments, the laughter, the tears, the times we failed, the times we succeeded…and the way that Professor Lupin was with us through it all,” Hermione continued. “It is with great pride that I offer one last word from Remus before we celebrate his many years with us and this new life he’s taking forward.”

Professor McGonagall pressed her ear against the outside of the Great Hall door as Harry watched his shoes, his feet shuffling about inside of them.

“Now, I have to get inside again, Harry,” she reminded him, “it should only be a few moments. When Remus is done speaking, he’ll welcome you in, remember? Of course, well...”

Harry could see light inside of Minerva’s eyes. She was exhilarated. Even youth seem to exude from her smile and the speed of her words, but Harry only replied with a nod. He was trying with all of his might to show no sign of weakness, but it was hard to conceal from friends that knew him as well as she.

“Only a few more minutes,” McGonagall whispered again as she started off towards the side entrance, “it’ll all be over in a few more minutes.”

Harry could hear clapping and cheering erupt and he knew that Remus must be at the front now. His heart was racing so fast he was sure it was just going to seize and stop beating any second.

Ginny…James…Ginny…James…a new life…he kept whispering to himself aloud to calm the whirling sensation about his head. He closed his eyes and heard Ginny humming in his ears. He envisioned James running to them at the train platform, visiting for Christmas holiday and Harry publicly throwing his arms around his son. He pictured Ginny’s rounding belly, their new addition growing steadily inside. He could see their smiles, watch them opening presents beneath a large, green tree, laughter ringing through the building and he inhaled the sweet scent of victory. That’s what victory was to him, after all.

“The magical world is an exquisite place, full of curiosity and imagination, with infinite new spells, charms bobbles waiting to be discovered. Admirably for our community and at the expense of just as many as are amused by it, we find the example of Weasley Wizard’s Wheezes, ingenuity in its purest form. Magic is endless, timeless, and fearless anymore. Remember that, students. Always remember what you have learned and refuse to ever let history repeat itself. Don’t ever stop learning and seeking, discovering and creating. And most importantly, don’t ever stop believing that anything is possible…”

Anything certainly is possible, Harry thought. He half-heartedly listened to the words of Remus’ farewell speech, quickly chuckling at the thought of the prank store mentioned that he had helped start up years earlier. He was proud that it faired so well, especially even after Fred was lost in the war. For a second, his heart seemed to stop racing, but instantaneously returned to its screaming speed once he thought about where he was again.

Harry started looking around him, noticing that the doors to the Great Hall had never seemed so daunting, and the stairs behind him never seemed so far away. The halls were dark, the ceilings tall, and there was a subtle hum coming from the paintings nearby. He knew they had been discussing that shadowy figure standing outside the doors ever since he’d arrived there. Luckily they couldn’t pass information inside yet - - they had always been the best way to spread rumors besides the students themselves.

“And as I close, I leave you one final wisdom…” Harry could hear Remus utter courageously. His heart was ripe with uncontrollable fear now. He was going to be sick. He could feel it creeping up from his stomach into his throat. More cheering erupted and Harry stroked his hair tightly. Remus was done…only seconds away now…

“With that, my precious Hogwarts students,” Remus said, silencing the crowd, “I would like to be the first to welcome a new addition to the Hogwarts family. Shall I introduce you to the one we’ve all been waiting for?”

The tension was thicker than a pool of twisting black tar…Harry writhed in his robes.

“Please help me welcome the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor…”

Remus’ voice was echoing now. Harry was dizzy. He could barely focus. That vomit was almost at his lips now. Will I make it? He wondered. Adrenaline oozed out of him like a swarm of bees and he could barely decipher between excitement and terror.

Silence. Stillness. Every witch and wizard in the Great Hall, old, young, waiting, holding their breath.

“Harry Potter.”

The room went blank.

The wide doors began to open and Harry stopped breathing. He lifted his eyes to the podium as the crack widened, catching first a glance of Remus staring hard back, with the same sort of gentle smile that fixed Harry’s path down the center of the packed tables.

Everything was silent. There weren’t even whispers from the paintings outside anymore.

Every eye was fixed, every jaw was either rolling on the floor or sealed tightly shut. There wasn’t a sound besides the creaking of seats as the children moved their bodies in line with Harry’s. Harry wanted more than anything to look down, or even better, turn and run away. He’d become a rather bold man, but this, this was too much to bear. Give him a Death Eater over this any day.

And then, a gasp.

“Harry?” Hermione escaped from the front of the Hall.

His eyes moved away from Remus and caught hers as she stood from her chair, her hands shaking beneath her robe. He did not respond, however, because another voice caught his attention at his right and he quickly looked over.

“Dad-” James said again, this time rising from his seat as well.

Harry stopped and swallowed. Turning to face James, he kept his eyes on the young image of himself and the two gazed in quiet. There was still hardly a peep from the room.

“James,” Harry started, but the emotion began to choke and before he knew it there was water in his eyes, begging to escape to his cheeks.

Without another word James leapt forward and threw himself into Harry’s arms, soaking in the warmth of his father’s hug and the freedom of the moment. There were no more secrets. Harry breathed in the pure, glorious peace of having James in his arms this way and didn’t want to let go. There was a gentle, tiny tap on his shoulder and Harry lifted his head from James to look. Hermione stood nervously, eyes pulsing with the verge of tears, her lips clenched to try and hold it all back. Harry patted James’ shoulder and turned to face one of his best friends. Their eyes met uncertainly, but Harry tried to smile.

“Is it…” she stumbled, “is it really you?”

Harry nodded softly and replied in a quiet voice, “Yeah…it’s really me.”

With a deep suck of air as she began to sob, Hermione launched her body forward. Harry returned with the tightest hug he’d ever remembered. Giant tear drops landed on his shoulder and Harry could only think to whisper, “Hermione…it’s all right. It’s all right.”

“I don’t understand,” she poured through her tears, “You were supposed to be dead…”

Harry chuckled and pulled back, wiping one of her crocodile tears away with his thumb. “I know, it’s a long story, but you’ll hear all of it, I promise.”

Hermione shook her head and took in a breath, still crying, but trying desperately not to. Realizing they were in the middle of the Great Hall still, with hundreds of wide eyes watching, they both brushed their robes and Harry turned to James again, nodding his head towards the front, signaling that he was going to head towards Professor Lupin. James shook his head in agreement and sat back down amidst his baffled and bewildered peers. To his relief, however, no one asked him questions yet, for all minds and eyes were intent on following the masculine figure of Harry Potter slowly and quietly walking to the front of the Great Hall.

Hermione returned to her seat at the teacher’s table, shaking and cautious, as Harry met Remus at the front. “Harry,” Remus said, grabbing his beloved friend with a loud slap on the back and rather large hug. Harry returned the greeting and then took his place center stage.

Silence.

Absolute, dark, eerie silence.

Harry coughed and cleared his throat, his heart still pounding as he tried to meet the eyes of at least a few students throughout the room. He swallowed, looked at his feet before starting, and then, with confidence, began,

“Hello, Hogwarts students. I’m Harry Potter.”

A few murmurs seem to pick up around the room, but Harry wasn’t sure if it was just the sound of ringing in his ears from the steady, almost unbearable race of his heart.

“I…I suppose you’re all a bit baffled, and, rightly so, but in due time it will all be clear. It has been an honor to serve the magical community, but I would have never been able to do it if it wasn’t for people like former Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, Headmistress McGonagall, Professor Weasley, Professor Longbottom and the wonderful Hagrid. My time here at Hogwarts was when I learned, grew, experienced, loved, feared and worked more than I ever have any other time. It was a precious time of discovering who I was and if it wasn’t for many of the spectacular people I met here, I would have never survived. I can only hope to be the same to many of you.”

A stillness continued to fill the room for a practically unbearable length of time. Harry cleared his throat again, and rubbed his palms onto his trousers beneath his robes. What were they all thinking?

“Um…I look forward to teaching you everything I know, or, at least as much as will be allowed,” he quickly corrected at the stern glance of the headmistress. “I suppose I’ll see you in class…Thank you.”

He blinked. He exhaled.

Then, instantly, and almost simultaneously, the Great Hall’s desperate quiet erupted into a roar of screaming, cheers and applause. The confusion and wonder filled every space of the room, but the emotion of the return of the greatest wizard to ever live found more prowess. Students whistled and teachers clapped like they had twelve sets of hands. Even Filch, the caretaker, roared in proclamation. Nearly every person in the room was on their feet in ovation and Harry lowered his shoulders in absolute relief.

They liked him. They really liked him.

After nearly 15 minutes of solid praise, McGonagall stood to her feet from her place at the Teacher’s Table, calling the room back to order. It was nearly impossible to calm all the whispering from around the room, but as she motioned for Harry to take his place amongst the other professors, an air of something light and flowery filled the space and excitement became electric in the best possible way.

Harry was home. He was out. He was ready to start his life in the public eye once more. There would be questions to answer, he knew this much, and he also knew that he would probably be answering them until he reached his last and oldest days. He was set between Remus and Hermione and clasped his hand around the fragile shaking fingers that Hermione had set on it, while Remus patted him on the shoulder once more. With friends like these at his side, along with the beautiful woman waiting for him back at home and his wonderful, and suddenly incredibly more popular than ever before, son eyeing him from the Gryffindor table, he didn’t mind at all.