Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Time is Now by Hermione816

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Ron's the only one to do it - is he up for the task? A little brother to brother conversation reveals some new facts and some old truths.
The old stairs groaned and squeaked as Ron made his way towards Percy’s bedroom. He couldn’t decide whether this was the Burrow’s way of spurring him onward or warning him to stop now, before something irreparable was said or done.

Ron knew it was only his overwhelmed mind, stuffed to the brim with thoughts and feelings, all of them running around inside of him, crashing together like a bunch of hyperactive three-year-olds. The past few months, and especially the past few days, had been pure mental and emotional bombardment.

He remembered a conversation with Harry and Hermione a few years ago. It was right after Harry and Cho’s perplexing first kiss, and Hermione had patiently explained to Harry that Cho was feeling scared, guilty, sad, excited, missing Cedric, attracted to Harry, confused and upset. At the time, Ron had unbelievingly told her that no one could feel all those things at once or they’d explode. She called me an insensitive wart, he reminisced, told me I had as many emotions as a knife or a fork or something...guess it’s not surprising that she figured this stuff out a few years before Harry and I did.

Because right now, Ron completely understood what she’d said back then. Here he was, on the steps of his family’s house, feeling a jumble of things “ his stomach did happy flips every time he thought about Hermione, even if it was recalling her insults; he was terrified about what was in store for them and Harry; he was agitated, confused, hopeful and nervous about confronting his wayward brother. Growing up is a pain the arse, he thought, not for the first time, and knocked on Percy’s door.

“Ron,” Percy opened the door, “Breakfast already?”

“No, Percy. Almost everyone is still sleeping. I “ I “ can we talk?”

“Yes, of course, please come in,” he ushered him into the spotless room. Ron couldn’t help being struck by this display of tidiness. Ron had always thought of Percy as uptight, but now he was forcefully reminded of how different he was from the rest of the loud, messy, joking, slapdash, fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants Weasleys.

They eyed each other in silence for a moment, and Ron took a good look at his brother. He looked terrible. His eyes were scrunched and shadow-rimmed, and though he’d always tended towards slimness, he now resembled a red-headed scarecrow. He looks forty-one instead of twenty-one, Ron thought, and now concern was added to his stew of emotions.

“Perce, listen, I need to ask you about what you said to us the night of the rehearsal dinner. Maybe Mum’s alright taking you back into the family fold without so much as a question, but, erm, we “ I’m “ not convinced.” Ron’s heart was in his throat. This was very very hard.

Percy sighed, walked over to the window. “I’m glad you came up here. I apologize for not coming to you first. I shouldn’t have said anything about what I knew until after the wedding, but I was overwhelmed. Bill, Charlie, Ginny, and of course, Mum,” Ron couldn’t see his face, but Percy’s voice cracked before he continued, “They all just, as you said, took me back. But Fred and George haven’t spoken to me at all in two days. Dad seems happy but I can see that he doesn’t trust me, not quite. Like you.” Percy turned to face him.

Ron felt anger overtake him. “Well, what did you expect, Percy?!?! For me to throw a parade in your honor? You disowned the family, turned your back on Dumbledore, and tried to get me to cut off my best mate! You made Mum cry!” In Ron’s eyes these crimes were equal. Sons shouldn’t make their mums cry if they could help it. Period.

“Don’t you think I know that! Ron, listen, I can’t take back the things I’ve done, but you have to understand why I did what I did.”

“I’m waiting.”

“This is going to be hard for you to understand, but I’m going to try. I’ve “ I’ve never really fit in this family, don’t you get it? The mess, the noise, the “ the clutter “ of this place “” he gestured around him, and Ron heard distain in his voice, “This isn’t how I want to live. The endless stream of people in and out, everyone on top of each other, into your business, not a minute of privacy, the Knut-pinching and secondhand robes and pathetic post-owl and “”

“WE’RE NOT POOR!” Ron shouted. But, of course, they were. Shame flushed his neck and ears.

“YES WE ARE!” Percy’s calm façade broke, “We always have been, and I wasn’t about to fall into that trap! When I got the job at the Ministry, it was my way out. I could prove myself, use my education and hard work to establish myself somewhere and gain respect, maybe even obtain some influence and a good salary along the way, instead of winding up like Dad, shunted off to the side in some unimportant job, no career “”

The only thing that prevented Ron from lashing out was his promise to Harry. His friend had foreseen this, and had requested he behave himself. But, oh, it would make him feel so much better to wipe that self-satisfied expression off Percy’s mouth. No, stop. You still need information, you can’t go back to Harry and Hermione without finding out what Percy knows.

“Don’t worry, Percy. You’ll never be like Dad. He puts his family first,” Ron said it because it was true, but he wasn’t prepared for the look on his brother’s face. He looked more stunned then he would’ve if Ron actually had hit him. His face went gray. In fact, Ron was worried for a minute that Percy might just collapse where he stood. Instead, he staggered over to his bed and almost fell onto the edge of it.

“I know. I know,” Percy covered his face with his hands, and the words escaped through his fingers, “All of it, the Ministry, and Umbridge and Fudge and Scrimgeour, it was like a dream come true, at first. Even after the disaster with Mr. Crouch…they seemed to respect me, gave me important assignments, I couldn’t believe how well it was all going. Even…even when they started badmouthing Dumbledore, I thought maybe they had a point. He was an extraordinary wizard, but honestly, he was a bit eccentric. He never respected the Ministry, or wizarding laws, the way he should’ve.” Percy looked up at Ron. “Neither did Harry, Ron. And I could see you heading down that path, too.”

“You know? I’d rather break a few rules, do things a little differently than the ‘Ministry-approved’ way, than betray my friends and family. There are ways, Percy, of being successful without turning your back on the people that love you. Look “ look at Fred and George, they’ve got Galleons falling out of their pockets, their shop has done so well, and lo and behold, they’re still on speaking terms with the whole family. Even manage to get Mum to cook them Sunday dinner every week.”

A shadow of a grin crossed Percy’s lips. “Fred and George. There’s what, about a year between us and yet they’re more of a mystery to me than anyone else in the family. They’re crazy and funny and brave as hell “ I can’t believe the way they left Hogwarts.” Percy paused, “You know, Ron? Sometimes I wonder how I wound up a Gryffindor. I’m not brave at all. I never have been.”

These words were like a gigantic spotlight illuminating Ron’s mind. This was the opportunity he’d been hoping for. He knew exactly how he had to approach this. Now he understood why Harry and Hermione wanted him to do this without them. No wonder Hermione always looks like she just won a sweepstakes when she figures something out. This is bloody brilliant. “Well, Perce, I wouldn’t say that. You’re here, right? That took some guts. And you want to help Harry “ help me “ by letting us know the Ministry’s watching us. You want to make sure that we go into this with our eyes opened. So, c’mon Perce “ be brave, be a Gryffindor, be a Weasley and tell me what you know. We can’t make our next move without you. Whaddya say?” He held his breath. C’mon. C’mon!

Percy stood. He walked a few paces away, turned to face his brother. “Alright, Ron. I don’t know how much it’ll help. But I’ll tell you everything I know.”