Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Time is Now by Hermione816

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The arrival of the unexpected lunch guests - and the information Ron got from Percy - makes the Trio re-evaluate their next steps.
Chapter 16 – Eyes and Ears

After assuring her they’d be along in a few minutes, the three of them stood in the doorway of the old shed and watched Ginny run across the lawn, Harry’s jacket held over her head to protect her from the lashing rain.

“Wonder what Lupin wants?” Ron asked idly. Harry shrugged.

Hermione had an idea about that, but she wanted her friends to focus on the discussion at hand. “I think I know what Lupin wants, and if I’m right, it’s going to help us tremendously. But first, what are we going to do with the information Ron got from Percy?” she started, and Ron and Harry exchanged glances. Bossy, is what that exchange said, and Hermione sighed. She knew she took control of things sometimes, but honestly, how else was anything going to get done? “Look, you two, that didn’t come out the way I wanted it to, but one thing at a time, right?”

“You’re right, Hermione,” Harry said, and Ron grunted in agreement. “So, do we believe Percy? I’m going vote for moving forward based on the idea that the information he gave Ron was true, to the best of his knowledge. Hermione?” He raised his eyebrows questioningly.

She hesitated. She just wasn’t sure…but they had to believe something, they had to make some sort of decision. She gazed at Ron for a moment. Being friends with her and Harry was probably tough on him sometimes. The accidental hero and the girl who seemed to have an answer for everything all the time. But I don’t, she thought, frustrated, I don’t have answer for all of this. But we can’t just stand in the spidery old shed forever. We have to move forward. Ok. Ok, I most certainly don’t have complete faith in Percy. But, but I DO have complete faith in Ron.

“I think…I agree with you guys. For now, let’s take Percy’s story at face value. We’re just going to have to be careful, that’s all,” she said. She couldn’t help but notice the grateful expression that flashed across Ron’s face. “But…can I say something?” It wouldn’t do any of them any good if what she said fell on deaf ears. She needed their attention.

“Of course,” Harry said.

“Please, Ms. Know-It-All, we’re all a-flutter to hear what fascinating things you have to say,” Ron said, batting his eyelashes at her. He put his arm around her shoulder as Harry chuckled.

“Funny, really, Ron,” she replied. She took a deep breath. “Ok, two things you guys. One is, since we’re taking Percy on his word, we have to assume we’re being watched. By no one less than the Minister of Magic. And, we’re not really sure of Scrimgeour’s motives. What do we know about him, really? He was an Auror, ok. He and Dumbledore didn’t see eye to eye, fine. He’s –”

“A politically-motivated slimeball,” Harry interjected, disgusted.

“Right, Harry. But that doesn’t make him evil or a Death Eater or anything even remotely like that,” she concluded. “What we need to remember is that the Ministry is made up of lots of people, you guys. Some of them may be working for Voldemort. Stop wincing, Ron. For example, we know for a fact that Lucius Malfoy had the ears and pockets of many Ministry employees. But, there are also a lot of people there actively working against Voldemort, like your Dad, Ron. And Tonks, and Kingsley Shacklebolt. The Ministry is made up of dozens of people, all with their own individual agendas. And part of Scrimgeour’s seems to be keeping tabs on Harry. For his own reasons, whatever they may be.”

“So…if we don’t think that Scrimgeour is working for the Death Eaters or out to hurt Harry, then why do we even care that he’s watching us? Sure, it’s a crap thing to do, but does it really matter?” Ron queried.

“Yes, Ron, it does,” Harry said thoughtfully, “Hermione’s right, I don’t think Scrimgeour would ever knowingly work for Voldemort, even under threat or duress. And while it’s possible he’s under the Imperius Curse, I don’t think it’s probable. But even assuming that the Minister is having us followed for his own, less-threatening reasons, it’s going make things harder for us, more dangerous. I don’t know about you guys, but the Ministry hasn’t done much in the past few years to get any votes of confidence from me. Chances are, he’s going to draw more attention to us, intentionally or not. And it’s simple numbers, you two. The more people that know about the Horcruxes and any details surrounding our search, the greater chance that the information will reach the wrong ears…” Harry trailed off, though it seemed like he had something else on his mind.

“What is it, Harry?” Hermione urged.

“It’s – it’s something Dumbledore said to me. About the prophecy, and how – how much store Voldemort has put into it.”

“You mean all that stuff about one of you having to die?” Ron had paled considerably and his grip on Hermione’s shoulder tightened involuntarily. She understood how he was feeling.

“Yeah,” Harry replied, “But Dumbledore said the difference between Voldemort and me is that I didn’t have to believe any prophecy. Dumbledore – he – he understood that no matter what, whether that prophecy existed or not, that I won’t –can’t – rest until Voldemort’s dead.” He stopped for a moment and looked straight at them. “But it’s not just that I want him dead, you guys. I don’t want the Ministry or anyone else to know what we’re up to, because, I want to do it myself. I need to do it myself. For Dumbledore. For Sirius. For my mum and dad. No one is going to take that away from me, not Scrimgeour, not anyone.” His voice was low and urgent.

Hermione felt an icy hand squeeze her heart. Not for the first time, or the last she was sure, she thought, It’ll be a miracle if we all make it through this alive. It really will. Panic fluttered in her throat like a trapped bird. “We understand, Harry, we do.” She managed to choke the words out.

Ron looked like someone had punched him in the stomach. “So…Hermione, you said there were two things you wanted to tell us…what’s the other?” He reached out and put his free hand on Harry’s shoulder. Hermione wasn’t sure if it was to offer comfort to Harry or to steady himself.

“Well, the other thing we’re going to have to face is that the spy – for lack of a better word – that Scrimgeour is working with could really be just about anyone. I don’t know about you guys, but I was pretty distracted at Dumbledore’s funeral. I’m sure that’s what Scrimgeour was counting on. And while Hogwarts is one of the most magically protected sites in the world, it’s not impervious to stealth. Rita Skeeter, for example. If the Minster asked her to, I’m sure it’d take her all of thirty seconds to agree to using her Animagus abilities to get dirt on us, especially if they were paying her enough,” Hermione paused, scowled, “But it’s even worse than that, really. I mean, we should know better than most that even an Invisibility Cloak will keep you out of sight if you’re careful about being quiet. There’s endless possibilities, really, and Scrimgeour struck when Hogwarts’ enchantments were at their weakest…right after Dumbledore died but before anyone could recoup.”

“So…so what are we going to do then?” Harry said helplessly. “What you’re saying then, Hermione, is that we could be being watched and listened to at any time, any place - that there’s no where we can go and know we can speak freely? How are we going to do this?”

Hermione pulled both of her friends in close, so that their noses were almost touching. “No, Harry. That’s the thing. I think there is somewhere we can go, in fact. And not only can we stay there and plan freely, I think there may be another piece of the puzzle there…at least one in fact,” her voice was barely a whisper and heart was beating hard and fast in her chest. “We’re going to talk to Lupin right now. Because Ron’s right, we’re not going to Godric’s Hollow first – we’re going to Grimmauld place.”