Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Time is Now by Hermione816

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Why's Lupin at the Burrow? Tonks, too? The Trio soon finds out - and Harry must decide which of his friends to put in danger.
Grimmauld Place? Ron thought as the three of them tore across the lawn, pelted by cold raindrops. Why do we want to go to Grimmauld Place? Once again, Hermione’s brain was several steps ahead of his and Harry’s. And, hadn’t she mentioned something about the locket earlier, when he’d first come to speak with them? Ron wasn’t sure if he could handle anymore information right now.

Harry walked into the Burrow just ahead of him and Hermione. Ron smelled potatoes and frying mushrooms and suddenly felt hungrier than he had since the arrival of a certain best friend of his. His lunch dreams were interrupted by a damp hand on his wrist. Hermione’s wild hair was dotted with raindrops. Almost as nice as the rhinestones, he thought and smiled to himself.

“I “ I just wanted to say that, well, what you did with Percy was brilliant. Really,” she smiled at him, laced her fingers through his. “I just hope “ hope that he appreciates what an amazing brother - family - he has. I want to believe he does.” She grinned at him.

His chest felt as if it were filled with a warm, buoyant substance. He noticed her pink cheeks and felt her fingers pressed into his hand. Bloody hell, he thought, how long is this going to last? I can’t even look at her without feeling like I’ve gone barking mad. But in a good way. “Thanks. Thanks,” he paused, more aware then ever of the places where their bodies almost touched. “Uh…Hermione? You’re going to have to stop holding my hand and stuff, I think...” Then maybe I can actually eat some lunch...if I don’t stare at you the entire time…

Hermione reacted as if his hand had become burning hot. She yanked her own free and stepped away from him. “Well, you didn’t seem to mind before, so I just thought that “” With one step Ron closed the gap between them and wrapped his arms around her. You git, he thought, grinning into the top of her head, She’s smart, but she’s no mind reader. She has no idea what you’re on about!!

“Ron?” Muffled, from somewhere near his armpit.

“Hermione, I’m sorry, I know the past few seconds made absolutely no sense to you. They hardly made sense to me,” he laughed. She craned her neck up at him. “I was just thinking about how good lunch smelled and Mum’s cooking and all, and then you complimented me “” now he was the one blushing, but she was listening very closely to him, and he was very aware of each breath she took and the warmth of her back through her t-shirt. “- and I was just thinking that “ that “ if I didn’t figure out a way to be around you without feeling like I do before a Quidditch match, I’d never eat again.”

“Quidditch! With you boys it always comes back to Quidditch, doesn’t it?” But she was smiling. “Ronald Weasely, without an appetite? Seems impossible…” now she was teasing him. She kissed him quickly, but he held her tight for a minute longer.

“What does Lupin want? I know you know.”

“I think I know. I’m not sure but I think it’s “”

“C’mon, you lovebirds, Remus really needs to speak with you lot together, and he’s already running late,” Tonks’ head, sporting a very dark, shoulder-length hairdo, popped out of the kitchen window.

“Hey, Tonks! We were just coming,” Hermione greeted the older girl, her face turning pinker.

As he looked at her, Ron couldn’t help but feel that this was the beginning of it “ the start of their quest. Once the two of them walked into the kitchen, everything was going to change for him, Harry and Hermione.

“Hermione?”

Her hand was on the back door. “Yes, Ron?”

“You…you scared?”

“No,” she said, “No, actually “ I’m terrified.”

Somehow, it made it easier knowing this. “Me too,” he replied. “Me too.”

“Well, Mr. Weasely,” she began, trying on a lopsided smile, “Let’s just tackle lunch first “ that is, if you can handle it.” Their laughter as they walked into the Burrow didn’t make the fear disappear, but Ron thought it made it a bit more bearable.

* * *

“Ok, we’re all here,” Lupin smiled at Ron and Hermione as they entered the kitchen. Tonks was seated next to him, digging her spoon appreciatively into a plate of shepherd’s pie. Harry and Ginny were standing by the stove, receiving steaming plates from Mrs. Weasely. Ron noticed with a start the pair at the far end of the table. His Dad and Percy were sitting across from each other, oblivious to the rest of the group, talking quietly. As he watched, his Dad said something, and Percy chuckled and muttered, “Well, Dad, you’ve got me there.” Arthur clapped his hand on Percy’s shoulder.

Ron noticed his Mum’s gaze kept sliding towards them, the hopeful look on her face squeezing his heart. She caught him looking and smiled hesitantly. He returned it. I really hope Percy’s telling the truth. I really do. Because if he’s not, I may just have to “

“That’s because of you, Ron,” Hermione’s voice pitched to a whisper, nodding at his Dad and brother. He smiled, took a seat at the table as everyone settled down for lunch.

"Well, I guess we can get started!" Lupin began over the sound of clinking forks and plates, "I'm here for a few reasons, the first being is that I'd like to formally invite four people sitting at this table - all of whom I've had the pleasure of teaching - to become members of the Order of the Phoenix." He smiled at Harry, Ron, Hermione...and Percy, who looked shocked.

"Really Professor? All of us?" Hermione queried, then clapped her hand over her mouth. Ron could tell she hadn't meant to ask this question aloud, and Percy was staring at her with an unreadable expression on his face.

"Yes, Hermione, all of you. Percy and Arthur will be working on a special project together for the Order -" he nodded at the two men, "- and, as Harry's had his birthday - oh, that reminds me Harry, I've something for you later - you three are of age and I think that -"

"They may be of age, Remus," Molly interrupted, "but their still students! We made the twins wait until they'd left school, and I know we've discussed this, however -"

"Molly, I understand your concerns. But things are different then they were even a year ago, wouldn't you say? Every single person at this table - and yes, Ginny, you're included in that comment, and you'd be getting your own invitation if you were of age as well - everyone at this table has shown that they are committed to the cause and capable of working against Dark wizards. And I know no matter what anyone says, Molly, Harry's in this 'til the end, or am I wrong, Harry?"

"You're not wrong, Professor. Until the end, as you say. Whatever that end is," Ron hadn't ever seen his friend so fierce, and he noticed Ginny's face pale considerably under its smattering of freckles. She clutched Harry's wrist tightly.

"I expected no less from you, Harry, and I also understand about the bonds of friendship, having been lucky enough to have several extraordinary ones of my own," Lupin cast a significant look at Tonks, "I appreciate the fact that where you go and whatever obstacles you face, these two won't be far behind. If history serves as example," he gestured at Ron and Hermione.

Hermione simply nodded, but Ron cleared his throat, "You're right, Professor. Harry knows that whatever needs to be done, no matter what it is - sorry, Mum! - we're here to help him. There's really no question about it." He looked down at his hands, but he could feel everyone's eyes on him. His risked a glance at his best mate. Harry nodded imperceptibly, thanks filling his eyes.

"Oh, Ronnie!" His Mum was sniffling, looking proudly at him with red-rimmed eyes. Ron felt an odd mixture of seriously uncomfortable and very very pleased. There was a moment where no one spoke.

"Erm...Professor? Ginny mentioned that you were here about Number 12 Grimmauld?" Hermione broke the silence, a tiny gleam in her eye. Oh, Ron knew it. We'd do worse than to have Hermione running the Ministry...though there'd probably be a ridiculous amount of rules. He chuckled to himself.

"Yes, Hermione, I do have a bit of business about Number 12, and if I'm not mistaken, the cleverest witch of her age already knows what it is," Lupin teased her, and she blushed, but there was no mistaking the admiration in his voice. "Do you want to clue everyone else in?"

"Well, no, Professor, it's really Order business, and I'm not entirely sure what's -" Hermione stammered.

"Alright, I'll leave you be for now, but I'd like to say I don't envy your professors this year. You'll be teaching them, more like than not," Lupin finished, and she, Harry and Ron guiltily avoided each other's gaze. “As Hermione so kindly reminded me, I have one other piece of Order business to attend to before I take leave of you all. Harry, I know that Dumbledore told you last year that Sirius had willed you his old family house. We were glad to discover that despite wizarding traditions of property passing from blood relative to blood relative, that you, and not Bellatrix Lestrange, are the rightful owner of Number 12 Grimmauld. This is important primarily because of the house elf, Kreacher, and all the of Order’s business he knows, but also because Number 12 is a powerful house with many many layers of magical history and enchantments on it. The building itself, and the contents of it, are assets to the Order. That is, of course, if you are willing to let us use it,” he finished.

“Of course, Professor, I told Dumbledore last year that the Order could stay at Grimmauld Place as long as they’d like,” Harry said.

“Well, Harry, that’s very generous of you, and I am sure the Order would love, once again, to have a place to call ‘home’. There’s one thing we have to do first beforehand, though, and as the current owner of Grimmauld Place, you are the only one capable of doing so,” Lupin began. Ron felt Hermione’s legs moving anxiously back and forth under the table next to him.

“What’s that, Professor?” Harry asked.

“Well, Harry, with Dumbledore’s death, a lot of people lost a lot of things. The Order, for one, lost its Secret Keeper. I’m here today, Harry, because if the Order’s headquarters is to be Number 12 Grimmauld, you will have to appoint a new one. And I suggest you choose carefully.”