Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Time is Now by Hermione816

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Harry's got a tough decision to make - things are getting serious very quickly. But a stolen conversation with Ginny makes him forget his troubles, at least for a few sweet minutes.
“You have to be the one, Harry. Sirius appointed Dumbledore, and now you have to appoint someone else,” Lupin looked expectantly at him. Harry felt Ginny hand press even harder on his wrist. Ron and Mrs. Weasely had slightly puzzled, worried expressions on their faces. Hermione, he noticed, seemed anxious but not the least bit surprised.

“I don’t understand, Professor. You know where Number 12 Grimmauld is, why can’t you “ or anyone in the Order for that matter “ appoint a new Secret Keeper?” Harry honestly didn’t want anymore responsibilities right now. The world seemed to be crushing in on him and wait a second there was a flaw to this plan anyway “

“You can’t use Grimmauld place, Professor!!! SNAPE knows where it is!” Harry nearly spat the words from his mouth.

“You’re right, Harry, and that’s why I’m here, because the sooner we appoint a new Secret Keeper, the sooner Number 12 will be safe again, from, erm, any former members of the Order,” Lupin’s normally calm expression darkened for a moment. “How much do you know about the Fidelius Charm?”

Harry exchanged very quick glances with Ron and Hermione. Most of what he knew about the Fidelius Charm came from Professor Flitwick’s brief description nearly four years ago….and never mind that this description was overheard and took place during a conversation that he and his friends had been eavesdropping on.

“Well…I know it’s a tough spell. And that it conceals a secret inside a person. That “ that the only way a secret hidden by the Fidelius Charm can be revealed is if the Secret Keeper chooses to reveal it. I also know that by choosing the wrong Secret Keeper, my parents got themselves killed,” Harry said this last bit without realizing how bitter it would sound, without realizing that maybe he was a little angry with his parents…for trusting the wrong person. Lupin seemed like he wanted to address this, but didn’t say anything. “But, Professor, that’s not the point. The point is, how can Number 12 Grimmauld possibly be safe if Snape knows where it is?”

“That’s a good question Harry, and I’m actually going to let the expert handle this one,” he gestured to Tonks, the corners of his mouth twitching with a whisper of a grin. “Nympha - Tonks “ was kind enough to accompany me here this afternoon, because she’s the one that will be performing the Fidelius Charm today. I’m going to leave it to her to explain to you.”

“Well, you lot, what Harry said about the Fidelius Charm is right, but it doesn’t give you the full scope of the spell,” Tonks began, waving her hands around in a circle and knocking over her water glass, “Whoops, sorry Molly. Anyway, you’re right Harry, the charm is meant to ‘store’ a secret inside one person. The secret can only be revealed by the Secret Keeper, the person who houses the secret. You’re right to be worried about Snape, but only because, at the present time, the location of Number 12 isn’t protected by the Fidelius Charm.”

“But Tonks, I don’t understand. Snape knows where Grimmauld is. He won’t just “ just “ forget, right?” Harry was frustrated.

“Ok…hmmm. How can I explain how the charm works?” Tonks drummed her fingers on the table and Hermione reached out to still her newly-refilled, wobbling water glass. “I’ve got it! Think of Number 12 as the Gryffindor common room, the Fidelius Charm as the portrait of the Fat Lady, and the Secret Keeper as the password that lets you in. See? Once the Secret Keeper changes, you start from zero. So, all the people who learned about Number 12 from Dumbledore would no longer have the right ‘password’. Me, Remus, Molly, Arthur, the whole Order, including Snape “ the new Secret Keeper would have to tell us again. We don’t forget, per se, but we no longer have the means to enter. It would be the same as if you were standing in front of the Fat Lady without the right password. You know the common room is there, but you can’t get to it anymore. Does that make sense?”

It did, and everyone else nodded, understanding lighting their eyes. Hermione’s, especially, seemed nearly on fire. Harry saw that Lupin’s smile had grown a bit, and he was watching Tonks with admiration.

“Couldn’t have said it better myself! So, Harry, as owner of Number 12, the location is your information to give to a Secret Keeper that you choose.” Lupin’s smile faded a bit as he continued. “I won’t lie to you, Harry. You have to choose someone you trust explicitly, but that’s not all. The Secret Keeper must understand that he or she could wind up being “ being tortured “ to reveal the headquarters’ location if they ever found themselves at the mercy of a Death Eater. I’d offer myself, but “ well, let’s just say the work I’m doing for the Order “ not to mention my ‘furry little problem,’-” he gave Harry a strained grin, “doesn’t make me the best candidate.”

Everyone sat quietly for a minute, and Harry could feel both Ron and Hermione preparing to speak. He also knew that if Mr. and Mrs. Weasely weren’t in the room, Ginny’s voice’d be added to the conversation in no time flat. I can’t let any of them put themselves in danger like that, I WON’T let them.

“Professor, can’t I just be the Secret Keeper myself and “”

“Well, Mum, I know you won’t be happy about this, but Harry, I’ll do it if-”

“Harry! I knew this is what Lupin wanted and I’m more than happy to do “”

He, Ron and Hermione had all begun speaking at once. They stopped and looked at each other for a moment.

“I won’t let either of you put yourself in that position! Professor, I want to be the Secret Keeper myself for Number “”

“Oh, Harry! Don’t you see? You can’t be the Secret Keeper, it’s so obvious and you already have enough ““

“Hermione’s right, mate, you’ve gotta let one of us take it on, and I don’t think she should, so I’ll do it “”

“What d’you mean, Ronald? I am just as capable as you are of “”

“That’s enough, you lot, though there’s no doubt you’re all Gryffindors. Harry, Hermione’s right, you can’t add Secret Keeper to your growing list of responsibilities. Of course, I anticipated Ron or Hermione offering to fill the position, and, seeing that, at least for another year, all of you will be relatively safe at Hogwarts, this is probably the wisest choice. Well, you’ll be as safe as any of us can be,” Lupin finished. Harry was starting to feel decidedly uncomfortable about lying to everyone about their returning to school.

“Professor? Tonks? Mr. and Mrs. Weasely? I’m sorry “ but, but I think that Harry, Ron and I need to discuss this, um, privately,” Hermione’s voice was soft and modulated, but she seemed to be sending urgent signals to Ron and Harry with her eyes.

“Of course,” Lupin nodded, and Tonks followed suit. Mrs. Weasely opened her mouth to say something but took a sip of her tea instead. Percy and Mr. Weasely seemed only peripherally involved in the conversation, Percy speaking quickly and urgently to his father.

“Let’s go talk upstairs, guys,” Ron stood up, and he and Hermione ascended the steps. Harry went to follow and realized he wasn’t alone. Ginny was next to him, her face pale and her lips pressed together. They reached the first landing and just stood there for a moment.

“Gin, I just “ I don’t know what I can say “ it’s not that-,” he stopped. He was out of words for the moment.

“No, Harry, but I do know what to say. I’m trying to keep it together here, but I’m in a very frustrating position. Dammit! I wish I was seventeen! But even then, I’m not sure I’d choose to do what the three of you are doing. Mum…Dad…they’re going to be absolutely mad with worry when they find out what you guys have planned. I know Ron spoke with Percy this morning, and if he knows what you guys are up to, chances are other people do too,” Ginny’s hand tightened on his arm. “Look, Harry, I love you the way you are and I don’t want you to change but…”

Harry lost the thread of the conversation. She’d just said she loved him. He suppose he knew that, but still, his heart bounced up and down a few times in his chest. She loved him.

“…and the danger of it doesn’t faze me. It’s just that, I want to be informed. Tell me everything, even the bad stuff. I just need to know what’s going on. Harry? Harry, are you listening to me at all? Harry?” Ginny’s hand left his arm and came to a rest on his cheek.

“You said you loved me.”

“Well, yes, course I do, but you’re missing the point completely,” she seemed put out by the whole thing, but as she rolled her eyes at him, Harry heart felt lighter than he had since this day began a thousand years ago.

“Ginny, I’m not sure how I got so lucky, but I love you, too,” Harry laughed, and kissed her forehead, her freckled cheeks, then her mouth for good measure. “And I can’t promise to stop protecting you, but I do promise, as you requested to keep you ‘informed’ as best I can.”

She smiled at him, with a glint of mischief in her eyes. “Don’t tell me the hero of our age can’t tell when a girl loves him? What did you think, I wanted to be your pen pal or something?”

“Come on, Harry!” Hermione’s bushy head popped around the next set of risers on the staircase, “We really need to discuss this now.”

“Coming, Hermione. But Ginny’s joining us,” they resumed their ascent up the staircase.

“Well, obviously she is, she deserves to know what’s going on. Now, hurry up!” Hermione huffed, spun and walked into Ron’s room.

Harry and Ginny giggled. “That’s what I love most about Hermione, really,” Ginny began, “She’s such a sweet, patient person.”

Harry laughed, but his insides were in a jumble. In a few minutes, he was going to have to choose which of his best friends to put in more danger.