Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Time is Now by Hermione816

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Harry arrives at the Burrow and realizes that all of his well-intentioned plans are nothing in the face of bravery - or Ginny.
Harry breathed deeply as he and Mr. Weasley Apparated directly on top of some shrubs growing on the side of the Burrow. Apparating was never going to be his favored choice of travel. He tumbled to the ground, hearing laughter coming from around the back of the house. Sounded like Ron – and Ginny. His heart beat a bit harder.



“Alright there, Harry?” Mr. Weasley offered him a hand, dusting off his own cloak with the other.



“Fine, Mr. Weasley, thanks,” Harry replied, straightening his glasses.



“Looks and sounds like everyone is still awake,” Mr. Weasley smiled absently at the Burrow, which had lights blazing from every window, and headed towards the backyard.



Harry followed him and saw Ron and Ginny standing under the huge maple that dominated the Burrow’s backyard, gasping for breath, laughing hysterically. They got themselves under control, glanced at each other, and broke into giggles again. Ginny hung onto her brother’s arm for support, her red hair and white t-shirt bright spots in the shadow of the trees. She looked so damned good to Harry he nearly dashed over and scooped her up into his arms. But no. That wasn’t in the plan. He had to think of her and her safety above everything else.



He cleared his throat and tried for a jolly tone, “What’s going on here? Simultaneous Weasley breakdowns? Want to clue a fellow in on the joke?” They looked up. Ron grinned and Ginny actually jumped up and down as she waved. He couldn’t help it. He broke into a run.



“Harry, we thought you’d never get here!” Ron grabbed him first, shaking his hand and giving him a rough, one-armed hug.



Ron released him and he was engulfed by a certain flowery scent and a much smaller pair of arms. He hugged Ginny tightly, putting his hand on the top of her head. Her freckled cheeks were inches away from his, and more to distract himself than anything else, he glanced over at Ron. Instead of looked annoyed or uncomfortable, his best friend was grinning at him. In fact, he seemed to be fighting back another bout of laughter.



“What took you so long?” Ginny asked, her arms still firmly around his neck. She had that steely gleam in her eyes, and Harry wondered if he had honestly thought she was going to give him up without so much as a squeak of protest.



“Well, erm, Harry and I had a bit of a – a situation – with erm, some Muggles,” Mr. Weasley had reached the three teenagers.



As her father approached, Ginny let go of Harry and whispered in his ear, “I’ll be good – for now.” She stood distractingly close behind him, though.



“What’s this about Muggles, Dad? Not the Dursleys, was it?” Ron glanced inquiringly from his father to Harry.



“No, it wasn’t the Dursleys, Ron,” Harry tried to catch Ron’s eye. He didn’t think Mr. Weasley really wanted to get into details about the “situation”, which included an unscheduled detour into a pub (Mr. Weasley had begged Harry to show him how the cigarette machines worked), a very drunk barrister, an exploding wig and a permanently singed pair of knickers (Mr. Weasely’s). For once, Ron seemed to catch on and shrugged.



“Oh, well, then that’s alright isn’t it? At least the pair of you made it here,” Ginny kissed her father on the cheek and linked arms with him. “C’mon, Dad, I’ll make you a cup of tea – that is, if Mum’s gotten all the fairies in their cages, of course.”



“Fairies? What fairies?” Harry heard Mr. Weasley query, as Ginny, with one long look back, ushered him into the house. He stared after her for a moment.



“I know you’re trying to be noble and all, but I think you’re fighting a losing battle there, mate,” Ron’s voice startled him.



“Yeah. I think I figured that out the minute I walked around the house and saw her,” Harry sighed.



“I suppose that’s to be expected when you fancy smart, strong-minded girls,” Ron shrugged, blushed, “They know what’s better for us then we do ourselves.”



“Us?” Harry said. He thought he knew where this was going. His suspicion was confirmed when Ron’s ears darkened to a plumy shade. But to his credit, Ron held Harry’s gaze.



“Hermione will be here tomorrow morning, Ginny’s just had an owl from her,” Ron’s face couldn’t possibly get any redder. Harry knew how awkward this was for Ron, to directly acknowledge fancying their best friend. “Ginny, she says – I’ve got nothing to lose, that I just need to go for it. The problem is, mate,” Ron stared down at his hands, and Harry could tell he was really struggling, “the problem is, I feel like we’re all about to lose everything. Now, now don’t get the wrong idea, I’m not trying to back out on your or anything, I wouldn’t dream of it, it’s just sorta hit me, that I may never see this place, see them, ever again,” Ron waved helplessly at the Burrow. “But worse, worse would be if I – I did make it back here – without you and Hermione.” Ron opened his mouth again, closed it. His face was half-turned from Harry and his Adam’s apple was working furiously.



Harry stared at his friend and realized how very lucky he was to have the friends he had. The past month at the Dursleys’ had been a nightmare, mostly because Harry kept replaying the night of Dumbledore’s murder in his head, trying to find a way he could have prevented it. He had spent most of his nights thinking of all the people who had died because of him – no, he had to stop that, no one died because of him, they died because of Voldemort – his parents, Sirius, Dumbledore. He had to face the impossible to conceive, but likely idea that he might lose Ron or Hermione, or both of them, as well. That’s why, he thought to himself, that’s why I want to keep Ginny safe. But no one’s safe. Not anymore. Now was not the time to dwell on what had been lost, or what might be. Now was the time to fight – and to appreciate what they had.



“Look Ron,” Harry began, struggling to put his feelings into words, “I agree with Ginny. I was – am – an idiot for thinking I could push her away. And you’re not too bright, either, if you think you can do the same to Hermione,” Ron’s head swiveled to face his friend. “No one knows what’s going to happen, right? There’s no spell strong enough, no wizard wise enough, to make sure that everything and everyone’s going to be ok. You, me, we’ve got to accept that and not stop living, or caring about people.” Harry paused. “You know, I spent most of the past year being angry about Sirius’ death. I blamed myself, I blamed him, even blamed Dumbledore in my head. But, you know? Never once did I wish I hadn’t met him, that I hadn’t gotten to know him. I guess that’s the risk that comes with caring about someone, you may lose them.” Harry shrugged uncomfortably. He hadn’t spoken about Sirius with anyone in a long time.



“You know what, Harry? You’re right. Ginny said pretty much the same thing, in her own way. I just – I just have to go for it,” Ron clapped him on the back.



“Ronald Weasley!! You bring Harry in this minute, I want to say hello!” Mrs. Weasley’s stout form appeared in the doorway, her wand in one hand, a struggling fairy in the other. “And if that doesn’t convince you boys, I’ve got some Floating Fudge Fritters I need taste-tested.” She turned back into the house.



“I’m really gonna miss your mum,” Harry said as they headed into the Burrow.



“Yeah, me too,” Ron replied, reflecting, “especially her cooking.” They grinned at each other and walked into the glowing kitchen.