Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Time is Now by Hermione816

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Ron's experiencing something he's never before - a lack of hunger! Could have something to do with falling for his best friend - and the surprise guest that arrives during the wedding's rehearsal dinner....
Something very very odd is going on, Ron thought. He stood at the back door of the Burrow, gazing out at yesterday's handiwork. His mum was a real task-master that was for sure; he, Hermione, Harry and Ginny had hardly stopped hanging, tying, carrying and bewitching things all day before collapsing, exhausted, into their respective beds last night.



He had to admit, though, the backyard looked pretty amazing. The fairy lanterns had been scattered throughout the trees, twinkling in various hues of purple, pink, gold and green. Hermione (he thought proudly) had adjusted the charm his mum had placed on the agressive silver and white ribbon, and now it was contentedly twined up and down several bunted pavillions, twirling benignly in the evening breeze.



Though the wedding wasn't until tomorrow evening, two large tables weighted down with various delicious-smelling dishes dominated the back yard. The Weasleys, Harry, Hermione, Fleur's family and several members of the Order of the Phoenix were currently congregated in the very over-stuffed Burrow, momentarily to step outside to enjoy this "night before" feast.



The odd thing, Ron thought again, the odd thing is, I'm not a bit hungry. His stomach, of which he was always acutely aware, seemed to be floating somewhere roughly three feet above his head. He couldn't account for it, but then again, he'd spent most of his time since yesterday morning thinking about that brief kiss Hermione had planted on the corner of his mouth. Not a REAL kiss, but still, he thought, and smiled a bit. Well, I did try, but bloody mum and all of her ribbons and such.



There had been exactly zero opportunities to get Hermione on her own in the past twenty-four hours. It was enough to drive a bloke mad. And he couldn't get that chaste, swift kiss out of his head. What was wrong with him? Hadn't he spent most of last term writhing around in the common room with Lavender? It wasn't as if, as Ginny had so publicly pointed out to him last year, he'd never snogged a girl before. He felt as if he'd thoroughly covered that ground by dating Lavender. Had been the whole point, really. But this rolling, floating stomach was a whole new sensation. He'd probably get as much pleasure out of dinner tonight as Nearly Headless Nick would if he were here.



The approaching sound of voices made him turn. Everyone was spilling out of the house into the backyard, chatting and laughing happily. Bill led the way, his arm around Fleur's waist. Over the past few weeks, Ron had gotten used to the three slash-shaped scars that twisted the left side of his brother's face into a scowl. Behind the happy couple, his mum was explaining her decorating scheme in detail to Fleur'smother, and they made quite the study in opposites. His mum's soft, round, red-headed figure walking alongside Mrs. Delacour's tall, willowy one, made Ron smile. Harry, who had Ginny's hand ensconced firmly in his own, was turned towards Lupin on his other side, gesturing forcefully as they discussed some practical defensive strategies. He clapped Ron on the shoulder as he walked by. And then, Hermione. She was walking closely with Tonks, who appeared to have made an effort to match the wedding decorations - her hair was in two long silvery plaits, threaded throughout with shots of pearly white. Tonks caught Ron staring at them and smiled at him.



"Wotcher, Ron?" She gave him a hug and went down the stairs, catching up to Lupin, Harry and Ginny.



"Hi," Hermione put her hand on his arm. "I was wondering where you'd gone off to."



"Oh, yeah, well it was getting a little crazy in there," he said to her, indicating the steady stream of dinner guests filing into the backyard. She looked radiantly happy, her brown eyes darting keenly from the guests to the glittering pavillions. His stomach seemed to float even higher up. Soon it'd be nesting in the trees with the fairy lights.



"It really looks lovely out here, doesn't it?" She spun around as Ginny and Harry waved them over to their table, where they sat near Tonks, Lupin and Hagrid.



"You look lovely," he said it before he could think about it. And it was true. Hermione looked like, well, Hermione, but it was almost as if, for the past several years, a bunch of filmy layers had been slowly falling away from his eyes when he looked at her. It was as if, in actuality, she had always been this brilliant, glowing thing, but his eyes had been too dulled to notice it before. And then, almost imperceptibly, he had begun to notice this glow, low and faint at first, and getting steadily brighter until could no longer ignore its existence.



"I'm going to have to get used to comments like that, Ronald Weasley," she shook her head, smiling. "Not that I'm complaining, mind you." She took a seat on the bench across from Tonks.



"Well, I could say something terribly insensitive and git-like if it'd make you more comfortable?" He tried to sound serious. She smacked his arm lightly and turned to talk to Hagrid.



The dinner passed pleasantly and leisurely, people from both tables mixing back and forth, calling and catcalling, eating Mrs. Weasley's wonderful food with gusto. Ron stared mournfully at his plate. He couldn't seem to focus on food a bit. It was this extraordinary girl sitting beside him - teasing Ginny and Harry, speaking earnestly to Lupin and Tonks about magical non-humans, and asking Hagrid probing questions about Grawp - that was doing it to him. So this is what happens when you fall in love, he thought sadly, eyeing his uneaten mashed potatoes, when you fall in love, you lose food. Good-bye lamb chops and steak and kidney pie and roast chicken and -



His mental farewell to food was suddenly interupted by the clinking of forks on china. He looked up. Everyone was turned to the form of his smiling father, standing between the two tables. His dad was holding a glass of champagne, and on cue, several dozen glasses floated out of the deepening twilight and drifted towards each dinner guest. Hermione plucked two out of the air, turned, handed one to Ron, and then leaned comfortably against him. He slung his free arm around her shoulder.



"On behalf of Molly and myself, I'd like to thank you all for being here this evening," his dad began. His mum was gazing fondly at him. "As you know, we are all here this weekend to celebrate the marriage of my eldest, Bill, to this strong, lovely young woman," he beamed at his son and Fleur. "As I stand here, looking out at you all, my heart is so full I can hardly speak. There's nothing, nothing, as important as family. And everyone here, Weasley or not, is my family. Some of you sitting here are as dear to me as my own children." Ron saw his dad's eyes flicker and land on Hermione, and then hold steady on Harry for a moment. "Others of you, began as colleagues, schoolmates, friends - but are still something more because of the strong ties of love that bind us together." His father paused, his eyes gleaming with unshed tears. Ron struggled with the lump in his own throat. Hermione sniffled a bit in front of him; he hugged her tighter. He saw that Harry was sitting with his hands on his face; Ginny's hand rested on his hair. His dad reached out and grabbed his mum's hand, seemed to draw strength from it to continue. "Not everyone that should be is here tonight. Over the past several years, we all have lost many of those we hold dear to the evil that we are even now fighting. Some we have lost in the most real sense, others we have lost because they have turned away from the truth of what's happening. I say this not to inject sadness into this happy event, but to tell you all how very proud I am to be here, with you all, in the midst of turmoil. To tell you all how very much you mean to me. And now, without further ado, to the bride and groom!" He raised his glass high and pulled Bill into a rough hug.



"To the bride and groom!" Ron echoed with everyone, surreptitiously wiping his cheeks dry. Hermione turned to him and clinked her glass on his, tenderly whisking away a stray tear from his cheek.



"You missed a spot," she said, her own face a bit blotchy.



Everyone around them was hugging and kissing Bill and Fleur, laughing and wiping tears from their eyes. Suddenly, from the side hedge, there was the distinct sound of someone Apparating. Two dozen heads turned in the direction. And, Ron noticed, several wands had appeared, most notibly, Harry's and Lupin's. Height had its advantages - Ron had a clear view of the strangely familiar figure walking cautiously from around the side of the house. Hermione, he noticed, was standing on the bench so as to get a better look. She gasped.



"Ron! Oh my god, Ron! That's -" before she could finish, the figure spoke.



"Well everyone, I know it's the dead of summer, but are Weasley sweaters required attire for this wedding?" Ron couldn't believe it. Though the voice was sheepish and hesitant and lacking its usual pompous tone, he'd recognize it anywhere.



"Percy!" His mum cried joyfully, and rushed forward to greet him.