Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Time is Now by Hermione816

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Percy's back - but why? Harry, Ron and Hermione soon find out. But can he be trusted.
Harry stood amidst all of the other dinner guests, as surprised as any of them. Percy was here, at the Burrow. Wonders would never cease, it seemed. Ginny was clutching his shoulder tightly.

"I cannot believe he showed up! Mum never received a reply to his invitation, none of us have seen him since...since Dumbledore's funeral. And he hardly said a word to any of us there," Ginny explained breathlessly. Harry examined her face, but couldn't tell how she felt yet about the reappearance of her third-eldest brother.

"Ron!" She whispered across the table. She reached out and tugged his shirt, and he spun around, his mouth open in an 'O' of shock. "Ron, we'd better, you know -" Ginny gestured to where Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Charlie, Bill and Fleur had gathered around Percy. Fred and George, Harry noticed, were hanging back from the group a bit, talking urgently to each other and shooting distrustful glances at Percy.

"Yeah, I suppose we'd better. What d'you reckon, Gin? Why's he here, after all this time?" Ron questioned his sister as he assisted Hermione off the bench. Harry caught Hermione's eye. She was the brightest one of all of them; if anyone had insight onto this sudden arrival, it'd be her. Her brow was furrowed and she shook her head minutely at Harry, which he took as a sign to keep his mouth shut for the moment. With a backwards glance at them, Ron and Ginny made their way over to the small family circle as the other guests sat themselves back down at the tables. Harry and Hermione did as well, along with Tonks, Lupin and Hagrid. Harry watched as Ron and Ginny approached their older brother. Ron and Percy shook hands awkwardly, but Percy engulfed his little sister in a hug, which she immediately returned. That's one of the best things about Ginny, Harry smiled, she makes people feel comfortable.

"Well, I can't say I'm surprised," Hagrid was dabbing his still-streaming eyes with the edge of the table cloth. Several dishes tumbled onto the ground. "Oh, sorry 'bout that - thanks Hermione," he continued, as Hermione waved her wand and settled the dishes down in a more central, and therefore safer, location on the table. "I was just sayin' to Grawp t'other day, there's nothin' more important than family..." He trailed off, red-eyed, and Hermione hastily handed him her dinner napkin.

"I'm glad Percy came," a thoughtful voice spoke from Harry's left. Lupin was gazing over at the Weasleys. "This must've been a tough decision for him. It's never easy to admit to the people who love you that you were wrong," he turned to Tonks with a playfully raised eyebrow, who chuckled and squeezed his shoulder.

"As many terrible things that have happened over the past year," Tonks began in a voice much softer than the one she usually used, "as bad as it has been - I think some good comes out of it. People realize what's actually important. It's like Arthur said, there's nothing like family."

"Well, everyone!" Mr. Weasley's happy voice rang out, "as you can see, we have another, much-welcomed guest! Now that Percy is here, the family circle is complete." Mr. Weasley put his hand on Percy's shoulder, swallowing hard. Everyone clapped and whistled, but Harry noticed the twins had wandered into the relative dimness of one of the pavilions, seating themselves at a round table where wedding guests would dine the next evening. Hermione was looking that way as well, and jerked her head slightly in that direction. They both excused themselves and crossed the lawn together.

"What's up?" Harry asked her once they were out of earshot of everyone.

Hermione seemed to weigh her words carefully before she spoke. "I don't know, Harry. I hate to think anything but the best of all this, but --"

"But, you're a bit suspicious?" Harry finished for her.

"Well, the last time Percy showed up at the Burrow, it was for ulterior motives. He came because Scrimgeour wanted a closer look at you," she sighed, continued, "part of me, probably the nicer part of me, wants to agree with Tonks and Hagrid. Even Lupin seems to think it's a positive sign," she stopped walking for a moment, "but, you know Harry, Percy's not my favorite person at this moment. He hasn't treated you or Ron very well the past few years. And the way he's acted towards his parents..." she trailed off, shrugging her shoulders, "You and Ron don't seem very put out, so I'll try to reserve judgment for now. Maybe I'm just not as forgiving a person as you are. Doesn't seem Fred and George are either."

As they resumed walking towards the twins, Harry thought about what Hermione had said. She has a point, he mused, but maybe I've just gotten so used to people's ever-changing-opinions of me, I'm immune to inappropriate behavior. One thing he and Hermione were in agreement on, however, was how Percy had treated his family. Harry couldn't think of very many people he liked more than the Weasleys, and he understood better than most people how amazing it was to be welcomed into this crazy, messy, loving mass of family. Percy hadn't been treating that with as much respect as he should've.

"Harry, Hermione, come join us," George was waving them over.

"What do the two of you make of our extra-secret surprise special guest?" Fred asked with a decidedly sour look on his face. "Hermione, my love, I can tell your sentiments are very near to mine."

"Less of the 'my love' natter, Fred," Hermione admonished. Harry saw that Ron and Ginny were headed towards them. "I have no opinion on the subject." Both Fred and George snorted incredulously at this statement. "No, really you two, this is your family, he's your brother, you’ll have to sort it out amongst yourselves."

"Well that was fairly odd," Ron said as he and Ginny joined the group. "Mum's in quite a tizzy right about now."

"Mum'd think the best of anyone, even that insensitive prat," George's eyes shot daggers at Percy's back.

"Well," Ginny began, "He does seem pretty embarrassed. And he did show up for the wedding. That counts for something, right?" She looked at her three brothers in turn, hoping for affirmation.

Harry put his arm around her shoulders and she smiled at him gratefully. He glanced over at Hermione. He felt uncomfortable, an intruder on a family discussion. He could tell she was thinking along the same lines as he was. "Listen guys, Hermione and I will leave you four to thrash this out..." Harry began, but his voice was drowned by the protesting voices of the Weasleys. The group got quiet for a moment, lost in their own thoughts. There was the nervous sound of someone clearing his throat behind Harry. They all turned. Percy was standing there, red-faced.

"Hermione, Harry, hello, how are you?" Percy held out his hand. He looked so uncomfortable Harry didn't have it in himself to do anything but offer his own. He heard the twins scoff behind him. Hermione, who was standing back a bit, muttered a polite greeting.

“C’mon, Fred, I could use another butterbeer,” George grumbled. And with another fiery glance at Percy, the twins slouched off towards the rest of the guests.

The five of them shuffled in the uncomfortable silence than followed. Harry opened his mouth a few times to start the conversation back up, but closed it again in defeat. He couldn’t think of one single appropriate topic.

“So, uh, Harry, I actually was wondering if I could speak with you,” Percy finally said. Harry started. Percy wanted to talk to him? “In private, actually.”

“No, Percy. Anything you’d like to say, you can say in front of Ginny, Ron and Hermione,” Harry felt a little sorry for him, and more so for Ron and Ginny, but he wasn’t about to let Percy call the shots.

Percy sighed. “Alright. Look. As I’ve said to about a dozen people already this evening, I’ve acted “ I mean my actions the past few years has been “ I behaved, well, sort of “”

“Like a prat?” Ron offered helpfully. Hermione elbowed him but the whole group chuckled and most of the tension left the circle.

“Yes, well, Ron, I suppose you’re right, and now I have a chance to make amends, so I'm going to try,” Percy sighed. He looked at the others and took a deep breath. “Harry, I have it on good authority that the Ministry of Magic is having you followed. Anything you’re doing “ or planning on doing, erm, in the near future “ I would take this into consideration. You are being watched.” Percy finished in a hissing whisper. Harry was dumbfounded. How was this possible? Was Percy insinuating that he knew about his, Ron’s and Hermione’s plans after the wedding? There was no way he could know that they were going -

“Listen, you lot. I know I have no right to expect you to believe me, but, please, you simply cannot go to Godric’s Hollow next week!” And with that, he spun and walked away, leaving the other four in stunned silence.