Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Hard to Find, Difficult to Leave, Impossible to Forget by Chris_04

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Did you like it? I'd love it if you'd review, because this is my 1st fic, and I'd be thrilled if you'd tell me how you think I'm doing. Actually, all of this is totally foreign to me, even writing an author's note is differant. I've never actually done that before :) I feel like such a newbie :) Anyway, thanks for reading!!

-Chris










Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter. I only own my original characters, and that's about the limit. :) Sorry, I'm disappointed, too :)














“Man, its cold out!” I told my best friend, Joanna Brooks. She smiled and whisked dark brown hair out of her hazel eyes.

“Lily, you’re always cold,” She said.

I guess she was right, but it was only September first, and I was freezing. I’m Lily Evans, and Joanna and I were standing in the cold Kings Cross Station, ready to go to Hogwarts for the last time. Joanna and I were 17, and that year I was head girl. Joanna was great. I trusted her more than anybody. I was fairly popular, too. That always surprised me, because I was muggle-born. Nobody really seemed to care though, except that Slytherin lot, especially Severus Snape. But Joanna always told me that “They don’t matter.” I supposed she was right (Joanna was always right).

I pulled on my fuzzy black gloves. They were the ones my parents gave me for Christmas last year. Then, from behind me comes who else but James Potter? He actually slid his hand into mine. I jerked away.

“Potter, you-” I spat, trying not to yell.

He laughed. “All right, Evans?” Potter asked, his hand jumping up to screw up his hair (as if it didn’t look bad enough, already).

“Oh, shut up,” I snapped.

James has a habit of asking me out all of the time. I don’t think he understands the word “no.”

“Come on, Lily. Let’s go, Joanna said with a look of distaste. We both slid through platform nine and three quarters.

Potter didn’t follow us, thankfully. I think he was waiting for his friends. There are four of them. You’d think he and Sirius Black were brothers, they’re so close. Sirius was nearly as overconfident as Potter. Potter could never stop showing off. Sirius was the only one who could control him. They must have had at least a couple thousand detentions together. They were in detention no less than 4 out of 7 days of the week. Peter Pettigrew was so in awe of Sirius and James that it was scary. I kind of felt bad for Peter, sometimes. But at least Remus looked out for him.

Remus Lupin was alright. He cared about his grades, combed his sandy blond hair in the morning and didn’t mess with it after that, and didn’t go around hexing anyone he could just because he was bored (not that he tried to stop his friends from doing that). Joanna thinks Remus had a crush on me last year, but he doesn’t now. We’re friends. I may have liked him last year, too, but I’d never admit that to anyone but Joanna. I think the reason Remus and I never went out is because of James, really. Remus is sensitive, and I suppose he didn’t want to hurt James. But that’s alright; I’m over Remus, too.

Joanna and I found Joice Kelly, another Gryffindor in our year. She has pretty, long blonde hair, and deep blue eyes. It seems like Joice is always cheerful. Her parents named her appropriately. Joice is an only child like Joanna.

“Hey, Lily, you’re head girl! Great!” Joice congratulated me after saying “goodbye” to her parents.

“Thanks!” I said, smiling.

Missy Kent and Ellie Allen walked over to us with their families.

“Hi, Mardi!” I said to Ellie’s younger sister. She smiled. “Are you starting school this year?” I asked.

“Yes,” the small girl replied shyly. Her older brother, Kenny rolled his eyes.

“She hasn’t shut up about it since she got her letter,” He said.

“Well, she has the right to be excited,” Joanna said, eyebrows raised. “I’m sure you were excited when you got accepted. Actually, I seem to remember an ecstatic little boy four years ago jumping up and down at the station because he got to go to school.” Kenny’s ears went red.

“Jenn! Hi!” Mardi said to Missy’s sister. They were the same age. Missy’s three brothers were bickering, and her older sister was trying to get them to be quiet.

Missy Kent and Ellie Allen are the other 2 Gryffindor girls in our year. They’re great. Missy has 5 brothers and sisters, and Ellie has 2. Missy’s house must have been crazy when everyone was at home. I could see why Missy was so loud; she had that many people at home to yell over.

“Bye, mum! Bye, dad! Bye, Kristi!” Missy called to her parents and sister, who were leaving. Ellie hugged her mum and dad, and so did Mardi and Kenny.

“See you soon!” Ellie told them.

Ellie was quieter than Missy. I don’t know if we’d live, otherwise. But Missy was great. We don’t really mind. Missy was also pretty opinionated. So was Ellie, but Ellie was just much quieter about it. They’re so different that it was sometimes hard to see how they got along so well.

“Lily, you’re head girl! Well, that’s no surprise, anyway. But did you hear who the head boy is?” Missy asked.

“No, who is it?” Joanna asked curiously.

“Lily’s going to freak out,” Ellie warned.

“It’s James Potter!” Missy said.

“What? No way!” I yelped in surprise.

“That’s strange,” Joanna mused. “I thought it’d be Ricky.”

“I did, too,” Joice agreed, and shrugged, “Well, either Ricky or Remus, anyway.” Ricky Schull was in Hufflepuff, and had been a Hufflepuff prefect the last year. He was an okay guy.

“Dumbledore is completely insane,” I muttered. They laughed.

“Well, good luck, Lily,” Ellie said sympathetically. “There is James; you’d better go to the prefects’ carriage.”

“Wonderful. See you later,” I said dryly.

“See you, Lily!” they called. I walked briskly to the prefects’ carriage.

“’Lo, Evans,” Potter said. I decided not to respond so I wouldn’t go off yelling at him and look like a maniac in front of everybody. (It’s not like that doesn’t happen all of the time, anyway.) Potter prodded my arm. “Evans? I said ‘hello.’”

“What do you want, Potter?” I asked irritably.

“Well,” he said, “I just said ‘hello’. Normally, one would respond with “hello’. It’s actually quite simple.”

“Potter,” I said. “You’re just…” But I never finished that, because we were at the prefects’ carriage.

“After you,” Potter said, opening the door. I rolled my eyes, and stepped in.

I introduced myself and James to the prefects, then explained to them what they were supposed to do, and told them their passwords. It took forever. The Ravenclaw 5th year prefect, Abby Cade was particularly sweet. She was very pretty, too. But Abby had a way with ignoring that; she had not a hint of cockiness in her. Her friend, Andy Robbins, the other Ravenclaw prefect, seemed to have a crush on her. But Abby either had no clue about this, or was an excellent actress and trying to hide that she knew it. Probably the latter, I figured. She didn’t seem stupid.

Anyway, I was sure the prefects could tell that I couldn’t stand Potter. They probably also quickly deducted that he really liked me. But, man was he arrogant. Potter thought he owned the world. That annoyed me so much. Actually, it was beyond annoyance. But at least he hadn’t asked me out yet, that day. He asked me to go out with him all of the time, which really got on my nerves. But, on the plus side, I had been around him for nearly an hour, and Potter had not yet asked me out. That was practically a miracle.

I dismissed the prefects then turned to leave.

“Hey, Evans,” Potter said.

“What?” I said wearily.

“Do you want to-”, he began.

“No, Potter, for the last time!” I practically yelled. “I’m leaving. Bye.” I said automatically.

It looked like that year was not going to be any different from any other. I saw Joanna in the corridor talking to Ellie and Missy.

“Whoa, Lily! Are you okay? I can practically see the steam coming out of your ears!” Missy said.

“Oh,” Joanna said, understanding. She lowered her voice. “Did he ask you out, again?” I nodded unhappily. “When will he give up?” Joanna wondered aloud.

“Did you finally say ‘yes’?” Sirius asked as he strode over.

“No!” I said. “Why would I?”

“You should,” Sirius said.

“No!” I said. “Hey, I’m supposed to be telling you guys not to be wandering in the corridors, and get in a compartment. Sorry.” I made a face.

“That’s okay,” Joanna said. “Do you need to patrol for a bit longer?”

“Probably,” I said apologetically. “See you soon.”

“Alright,” Joanna smiled. “See you.”

I patrolled for a while longer, and ran into Potter, quite literally. I stood up, and started to walk away. He stopped me.

“What?” I asked, eager to get back with Joanna.

“Evans?” Potter said.

“What?” I asked impatiently.

“Why don’t you want to go out with me?” he asked.

Several reasons came to mind, but I just sighed and said, “Because you don’t know when to give up”.