Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Why Do I Love You? by thepatronus_n_thecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
James opened the door with a bucketful of candy and shouted, “Padfoot, I’m back!”

He looked around, and then turned red on the spot. He had just burst into the compartment of Lily Evans and her friends, and Kelsey, Lily’s best friend, had just finished the word ‘Potter.’

“Potter, what a...er...pleasant surprise. We were just talking about you,” Lily remarked, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Sorry for interrupting your conversation. Go on.”

“No, we were just finished,” sneered Eryn, another of Lily’s friends.

James could tell that they were definitely not through with their conversation, but he had business to attend to, so he bowed and said an air of a king, “I will leave ye ladies to thy gossiping.” And with that, he went to find the Marauders compartment.

“Padfoot, I’m back!” shouted James.

“Oooh oooh ooh! Did you get the dark chocolate frogs! Oh and the-” Sirius boomed.

Sirius stopped and all the Marauders turned their heads to see a HUGE bucket of candy. “Happy Birthday, Padfoot!” James sang in a very off-key voice. Remus even covered his ears to get rid of the noise.

“P-P-Prongs, how did you know? That’s exactly what I wanted,” Sirius gasped.

“How did I know? Well, let’s see, you wrote me about thirty-five letters this summer even though you were at my house, asking for it for your birthday!” exclaimed James.

“Thanks for the sarcasm. Now, which candy should I pick first?” Sirius contented himself with a Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans. He pulled out one, sniffed it, and then took a bite. “Eww! Vomit!”


“Ha-Ha, Padfoot! So, how did everyone’s summer go?” Remus inquired.
“Oh, OK, I guess. I went to Egypt for month,” Peter sighed. “Quite boring, actually.”

“Well, James and I went to Bermuda, and we saw tons of hot babes,” said Sirius. “Otherwise, it was boring.”

There was a long lull in the conversation, filled in with an occasional “Eww!” from Sirius. Then James had an idea.

“I, Mr. Prongs, motion to call all the Marauders to prank planning meeting. All those in favor say aye.”

“Aye.”

“Aye.”

“Aye.”

“Meeting is in session. All rise and state the Marauders oath.”

They all stood up and chanted in unison, “I am a Marauder, not a swotty prefect or know-it-all. Friends come first, then pranks, then detention, then homework. If I am to change this image, I must forever leave the group Marauders. Have some fun, and then live like a normal human being.”

“OK, let’s get cracking. Who? Where? When? What? Why?” Sirius queried.

James already had a plan formed. He just needed to add the finishing touches. This is where the Marauders came in.

“OK, here’s the plan...”
* * *
Lily sat in her compartment, staring out the window. Her friends were gossiping happily (on what other subject but the arrogant James Potter!). Lily was not one for gossiping, although she did correct them on minor details that they left out or got wrong. All of a sudden, Shannon, yet another of her friends, blurted out, “Well, I don’t think he’s that bad. I think he’s funny, handsome, charming, a bit arrogant, loyal, and a true Gryffindor.”

Everyone stared at her. “You do realize you’re the only one who thinks that. No one here agrees with you. He doesn’t even like any body here, does he?” asked Savannah.

“Fine! Be that way! But I’ll prove to you that he likes, no loves me!” Shannon declared, though she was trying hard not to smile or laugh. All of a sudden they all burst out laughing. Shannon was definitely the funniest and loopiest of the group, even though she was a brunette.

“Now, back to seriousness,” declared Lily.

“Sirius’ last name is Ness? I definitely didn’t know that!” Shannon giggled. Ever since last year, she’d had a thing for James and Sirius.

“I have reached a verdict,” exclaimed Kelsey. “Here it is: Bloody hell, she needs psychiatric help!” Everyone laughed in agreement.

“Kelsey, are you still going to be Beater for the Quidditch team this year?” asked Savannah.

“What do you think? Of course, you dolt! Quidditch is my life,” shouted Kelsey.

“She meant were you going to try out again cause Potter is going to be Captain,” said Eryn.

“Potter, Shmotter! Who cares? I’m still playing Quidditch!” Kelsey answered.

Suddenly they all heard a light snore from the corner. They turned to look and saw Lily, fast asleep with her head against the window. No one woke her, because, knowing Lily, she never fell asleep unless she had no sleep the night before.
* * *

A few hours later, Sirius, Remus, and Peter were standing on the platform for the school.

“I told him this was a stupid idea, but does he listen? NOOOO! He just goes around pretending that everything is going to go fine and dandy!” accused Remus.

“You should know by now that he does expect everything to go fine and dandy.” replied Sirius.

“Yep!” squeaked Peter.

“But I think this will actually work,” said Sirius.

“Pff!” Remus scoffed “Yeah right!”

As they started climbing into the carriages, they saw James and left room for him. But he did not come. He just looked a them and gave a thumbs up.

“Oh, that’s all he gives us? A thumbs up?” complained Sirius.

“Oh, please, shut up! You are seriously getting annoying!” complained Remus.

“But I really don’t think it is the best idea to embarrass someone he hates, just for the fun of it.” squeaked Peter, who was unusually talkative this evening.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” screamed Lily.

As the three boys looked behind, they heard crying, dripping, and the laughter of James. James had set a water balloon the size of an enlarged poodle of Lily Evans.

“JAMES POTTER, I HATE YOU!” Lily cried at the top of her lungs. She ran out of the carriage and to the school. All the people in carriages stared at James. It was then that James decided that it might not have been the best idea. Well, he thought, at least I know what not to do for the rest of the year.