Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Why Do I Love You? by thepatronus_n_thecharm

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hey y'all! Sorry it's taken so long. I got really discouraged and almost quit writing, but now it's coming back! Thanks to Secret for betaing Chap. 4-5, forgot to thank you for that. And, sorry it's taking so long for me to get past the second day, but after this chapter, I'm moving on, so don't worry. Don't forget to leave your fave quote. ONWARD!


I, Sirius Black, knew something was up the moment Evans shoved her shoulder into James’s and gave him a death glare that morning. I dunno, maybe it’s hard for girls to get over their hair. But that gives them no right to shove their shoulders into the person who messed up their hair. Poor James. When he got that death glare from Evans, I thought he was going to die in shame. I’ve seen my fair share of death glares from girls, too, but the goggling stares make up for that. Those are nice.

But my point is, James didn’t deserve that glare. At least not for ruining already ruined hair. (That hairstyle did not look good on Evans.) I have to admit, though, James had done some pretty awful stuff in the past”put rats in her bed, charm her paper so it looked like she cheated (Evans wouldn’t be caught dead cheating, the goody two-shoes), and taped a piece of paper on her back that would change every five seconds saying things like “I’m a nerd,” “Goody Two-Shoes is my name,” or, my personal favorite, “My favorite book is Hogwarts, A History, and I’ve read it forty-nine times.” That is so like Evans.

But anyway, onto after the common room incident. As we watched the Evans posse walk away, James heaved a huge sigh. I rolled my eyes. Drama king. I walked to the couch in the middle of the common room, where I had laid my bag.

“Come on, James, it’s not that bad. You just started liking her. It’s probably just a phase. You’ll get over it,” I said. But James appeared to not be listening. He was grabbing his bag and heading for the portrait hole. Remus, Peter, and I all exchanged worried glances, then hurried after him. James was already near the stair case when we caught up with him.

“James, what’s up? You’re not still going on about Lily, are you?” I asked, trying my very hardest to sound innocent.

“What do you bloody think?” he spat back at me. “I’m so sick of you thinking I’m gonna get over girls within a few days, like you do. I’m not like that, Sirius. I actually care about girls’ feelings even if you don’t. I don’t just throw them away like you do.”

“How many times do I have to tell you? I just want to find the right girl,” I argued.

“Well if you didn’t snog them half to death before you left them, maybe you would actually know who you’re trying seduce. See if you actually want to kiss them,” said Remus, coming up beside me. I glared at him. When James was right, Remus always sided with him. Funny how that works out.

“Come on, guys. Let’s just forget this and head down to breakfast,” said Peter, trying to compromise. If there was one thing Wormtail was good for, it was helping everybody get along. James and I shook hands, and we headed off to the Great Hall, Peter stepping through the trick step.

As we entered the Great Hall, I saw a very pretty girl who was in Gryffindor. I think her name was Sharon, or something like that. I decided to sit close to her. My friends followed, none the wiser. As I headed to near her seat, she looked up at me, and a light blush creeped up her neck. Merlin, this might be the letter girl, I thought to myself. I sat down and her blush grew even deeper.

That’s when I saw Evans. Right next to her.

“Why are you here?” she questioned. Like she actually cared.

“We have every right to sit wherever we please, Evans. Now, if you don’t mind, I’d be much obliged if you let me eat my breakfast in peace,” I said, partially copying a line from a movie one of my former girlfriends had forced me to watch at her house.

Evans, not catching onto the line, shrugged her shoulders, ate the rest of her breakfast, and headed up to the Head table to get her schedule early. Making sure she wouldn’t see me, I turned to her pretty friend. “It’s Sharon, right?”

She looked surprised to see me talking to her. “No. It’s Shannon. But you were close,” she joked, attempting a weak smile.

“Yep. Only two letters off.” I flashed her my signature make-your-heart-melt grin. It always worked. I hope.

But Shannon just rolled her sparkling green and gold eyes at me. I was shocked. No girl could ever resist that grin. I turned away from her and conjured a small mirror. I smiled to myself in the mirror. Nope. Nothing wrong with the smile. So it must be the girl.

I turned back to face her. She smiled at me in a questioning way, wondering what I had done. I waved it off. She nodded in an understanding way, although I could tell she didn’t. I decided to bring up the letter. Maybe if she wasn’t the letter girl, she would know who it was.

“Um.... So, have you ever put anything underneath the bookcase next to the fireplace in the common room? I find it very efficient in hiding...letters,” I said cautiously.

Shannon gasped and looked at me wide eyed. I smiled in triumph. So it was her. The Letter Girl. She glared at me. “So what if I sent you the letter?” she spat at me. “What are you gonna do about it?” Apparently, she believed the best defense was a really good offense. I like feisty girls.

“Well,” I said, pretending as if I was giving it hard thought. “First, I’m going to ask you out. Then I’ll kiss you. Sound good enough for you?” I once again tried my infamous grin.

“That would be good if it weren’t for the fact that I can’t go out with you.”

“That’s great! I’ll pick you up before the first Hogsmeade”Wait.... Did you just say you’re not going out with me?”

“Yes.”

“But “ you said you liked me “ you sent a letter “ and then you “ I’m so confused!”

“I do like you, it’s just that “ well, look at whom I’m friends with and who you’re friends with. It just wouldn’t work. I mean, Lily didn’t even tolerate you sitting two seats away from me. Just think how it would be if you sat by me everyday,” Shannon elucidated.

I had to admit she had a pretty good point. But it all seemed there. It’s not fair. I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve been rejected. One hand! But that’s when I had the idea. The most brilliant idea I’d ever had.

“We could keep it a secret,” I said quietly. Shannon, who had thought our conversation was over, looked up at me in surprise.

“A secret? You mean, don’t tell anybody?”

“Not a soul.”

“You know what? I like the sound of that,” giggled Shannon, her bright emerald and gold eyes glistening.

“Yeah, me too.” She had no idea.

“A secret love.”

“A secret love,” I repeated.