Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Broken Soul by silverfox

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Here's the second part! Enjoy! WARNING! This chapter contains a characters death!
Light from a dying fire embraced the thin man as he hunched over the mess of scrolls and books that covered the short table before him. He had settled himself in front of the fireplace hours ago in an effort to finish the pressing paperwork yet to be done before his departure in the morning. He was so engrossed by his work that he did not notice the bedroom door open and someone slip into the four-poster bed close-by.


The intruder spoke in a soft tone, startling the man, “Remus, my Darling, come to bed. You’re leaving soon, and I’m determined to spend as much of what time is left doing more… pleasant things.”


Remus looked up from his laborious task to see a pink haired beauty batting her long lashes at him. He gladly set his quill aside and joined his wife. Once in bed, he pulled her close and kissed her, savouring every second that her warm lips touched his. It ended all too soon as she pulled away.


“How long do you think you’ll be away this time?” she asked, gently caressing his shoulder.


He sighed and lay on his back enjoying her touch, “I don’t know, a month, maybe two. It depends on how things go.”


“Would it make any difference if I asked you not to go?”


Remus ran his fingers through her hair as she leaned her head down and began kissing his chest, “Sugar Pops, you know this is important.”


“I know. I just worry that’s all.”


“I know you do, but I’ll be fine, really,” he groaned with delight as she continued lavishing his torso with soft wet kisses.


When she got to his belly button stopped and looked into his eyes, “Remus?”


“Yes, Darling?”


“How many children do you want to have?”


Remus sat up abruptly, not sure he had heard right, “Children?”


“Yes.” Tonks seemed not to notice his behaviour, as she walked two fingers up his chest and began twirling the hair there around her index finger. “Me, I would like to have a whole house full. The more the better,” she giggled then nipped at his ear.


Remus was not amused and pulled away from her, “Do you think that wise with my condition?”


Tonks was not daunted as she threw her arms around his neck and nuzzled her nose at the base of it, “Oh, don’t be silly. I happen to know of a Healer in China who found a cure for the offspring of people in your condition.” Tonks drew away and settled back on her pillow and shrugged, “The children still have a taste for rare meat and they get a little cranky during the full moon, but other than that…” she finished her sentence with a giggle and a look that would have normally sent chills of pleasure through him.


Remus didn’t know what to think of his wife’s comment and laughed at the absurdity of it. “You’re making that up.”


Tonks pouted, “I am not! I have a friend who knows someone else, who knows this other person, who knows the Healer, who has had at least eight successful documented cases.”


Remus couldn’t help it and laughed even harder despite the angry stares his wife was throwing him. “Now I know you’re making it up!”


Tonks slapped him, “I’m being serious, Remus.”


He stopped laughing and looked into her eyes and could see the sincerity there. “You are serious.”


“That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you. I sent him a letter a while back and he just recently wrote saying that he would love to take our case. I didn’t want to say anything before, because I didn’t want to get our hopes up.”


Remus stared at her in disbelief, “So we could have a family one day.”


Tonks nodded her head and hugged him, “Yes, my Love.”


It then finally hit as he felt more joy than he could possibly measure soar through him. “Children! Darling, I never hoped to be that lucky. I always…” his voice cracked and eyes watered. He pulled his wife close to him, holding her gently. “Sugar Pops, I would love to have a house full of children with you.” He said into her hair and then pressed his lips to her head, lips, chin, and finally worked down to the nape of her neck.


Tonks groaned with pleasure as she ran her hands up and down his back. She began to nuzzle his ear and then whispered making him tingle all over, “I love you, Mr. Lupin.”


He loved it when she called him that. He grinned and whispered back, “I love you too, Mrs. Lupin.”


Remus awoke from his dream to find himself back in his tiny cell. Tears streaked his face at the memory. It was the memories that had kept him alive this long and it would be those very memories that would keep him alive just a little longer.



***




Harry struggled against his bonds, but knew it to be useless. There was no escape, not this time. Harry felt his heart fall as he realized that he had let everyone down, most of all Dumbledore. The Head Master had given up so much for him, as had many others and this was how it was all going to end. He couldn’t allow it, he wouldn’t. He would defeat Voldemort if it was the last thing he did, and it looked like it would be as he watched the madman above him.


Voldemort let out a shriek of laughter as he stalked high above Harry, his arms opened wide as if beckoning the heavens to his command. The room grew quiet as Voldemort’s laughter died out. He knelt beside Harry and touched a pale finger to him. Harry’s forehead burned with fire from within making him cry out in pain. This made Voldemort shriek in laughter once again.


“So Potter, I finally have you right where I want you. And to think I went to all that trouble to catch you and you simply walked right through my front door, or was it the back?”


The surrounding dark clad figures laughed in unison at their Master’s joke. Harry found no humour in it as he continued to struggle against the ropes. Voldemort than stretched out a hand grasping Harry’s head and caressed a cheek with his long spindly fingers. Harry winced as a fingernail cut flesh. The wet sticky blood oozed down to the side of his neck and began to pool on the floor.


“I failed to kill you the last time we met my dear boy, but that won’t happen a second time. No one can run or hide from me, as your precious Dumbledore found out. He isn’t here to save you this time.”




***




Remus rubbed a spot on the back of his head as he remembered the spell that had knocked him unconscious. He recalled being hit almost as soon as the door to the basement had opened. The memory of falling backwards and the sharp pain as his head had made contact with the hard floor was still vivid. But this was not what bothered him as he impatiently paced the small room. What happened to Harry and Draco? Was it already too late for them?


Remus looked around his cage frantically trying to find a way out, but he knew it to be useless. If there had been a way to escape, he would have done it long ago. Feeling miserable and a complete failure, he stopped his pacing and rested his back against the cell wall. This was it, he would die here and there was nothing he could do. The thought made him sick to his stomach. He could handle his own death. He had grown to expect it, even welcomed it on many occasions. But it didn’t feel right to just sit back and let others die, especially not Harry. The boy had a whole life ahead of him, and a destiny to fulfil.


Frustrated, he kicked at a stick on the floor. The object jumped a few inches into the air and fell back to the floor, rolling loudly across the stones until it rested in a ribbon of light from his window. Remus stared at the wooden object and realized that it was no stick at all, but a wand.



***




“Crucio!”


Harry thrashed violently on the floor, as the man above him sent spell after spell. Waves of torment flowed through him making it difficult for him to breathe. It felt like his insides were about to explode, and yet they didn’t. Would it ever stop? Where was Remus? He should have been here by now!


Harry flashed back, remembering slipping his wand into the man’s pocket after Lupin had been knocked unconscious and just before he himself was taken by Lucius. Harry was betting that since they hadn’t killed Remus yet that he still served some purpose, maybe, just maybe. And where in Merlin’s name was Mad-Eye!



***




Draco paced the floor for the fiftieth time. It had been a good hour since he had been dragged into this cell. His father hadn’t even bothered to look his way when he ordered one of the Death Eaters to lock Draco up. Dear old dad must have been bumped up a couple of notches in the ranks since turning over his only son to the Dark Lord. Draco kicked at the wall. He was immediately sorry for this when his foot and leg screamed in pain. At least it took his mind off more unpleasant things, even if it was only for a few seconds.


Draco returned to pacing only to be stopped by the sound of someone outside his cell. He cautiously stepped backwards, just in time as the door was violently thrown open revealing the Death Eater who had escorted him to his prison an hour before. Draco was surprised that the man wasn’t armed, so he decided to take advantage of the situation. Draco braced himself to pounce and stopped as he saw another face come into view.


Remus Lupin stood behind the Death Eater, wand pointed at his back. Draco also noticed a set of legs in the hallway. They probably belonged to another Death Eater who was supposed to be on watch. Draco smirked, “Impressive for a man who can barely stand.”


A trembling Lupin waved Draco out of the cell, “Are you coming, or would you like to stay here?”



***




Voldemort loomed overhead, “Before I kill you, you will tell me how you did it. How were you able to enter my mind after I used Occlumency against you?”


A weak and exhausted Harry didn’t know what to say to this, and he most certainly did not know how he had done as Voldemort claimed.


“Come on, speak up boy. You entered my mind on at least one occasion, maybe more. How did you accomplish this? Have you inherited your mother’s gift?”


“My mother’s gift?” Harry rasped, completely confused now.


“Ah, Dumbledore didn’t tell you. The old man did love his secrets,” Voldemort cackled.
“I don’t understand?”


“Fool, power like that shouldn’t be wasted on the likes of you, no matter, you will be dead soon,” Voldemort emphasised this by directing his wand towards Harry. “Let’s see if you can live through the killing curse again, shall we?”


“Avada Kedavra!”



***




Draco crept up the basement stairs making as little noise as possible and shook his head. This plan was ridiculous. Lupin was going to get them both killed, and for what, Harry Potter? Draco snorted, whoever would have thought that he would try to save Scarhead’s skin? But Lupin insisted that they would need Harry’s help to get out of this alive. Draco didn’t doubt that. Lupin looked so sickly he wondered how the man was even able to stand upright by himself. Maybe he should just dump them and make a break for it as soon as the opportunity arose, until then he had little choice, but to pretend to go along with the werewolf’s wanker idea. The conversation of Lupin’s plan was still fresh in his mind.


“Voldemort spends most of his time in the sitting room. This is where Harry will be. There are two doors to this room. The one near the front door is the one we will use. We will have to be careful as I’m sure there will be Death Eaters lurking around. Now since there is only the one wand between us, you will mostly act as a distraction while I subdue these Death Eaters.”


Draco looked at the man in front of him with a doubtful glare, “Are you sure you can handle it? You can barely stand. Maybe I should take the wand, and you act as a distraction? I’m sure your falling down will get their attention right away.”


“I can hold my own, and besides I don’t trust you to stay around to help. This way I can at least keep an eye on you.”


Draco shrugged, “If you say so.” He decided not to press the issue, for now. The man didn’t have to release Draco from his cell in the first place. A little cooperation wouldn’t hurt. “How many Death Eaters are normally here?”


“Quite a few, but today there are only about a dozen give or take a few, and they only have that many because they knew you were coming.”


“Where did everyone go?”


Lupin shrugged, “I don’t know, something about testing a new weapon. We don’t have time for this, we have to go.”


Draco was growing suspicious of the werewolf’s extent of knowledge, “Wait. How do you know about all of this?”


“It’s one of the perks of being a guest at Voldemort’s stronghold. You hear all kinds of information, especially when they think you’re unconscious. Now let’s go. There isn’t much time. We may already be too late.”


So here Draco was stuck in the middle of Voldemort’s headquarters with a scary madman and at least a dozen murdering loonies out to get him. Now he was following the orders of an even crazier werewolf. Yes, Draco decided, he was going to die.



***




Remus gripped Harry’s wand in his hand, as he silently moved near the sitting room door. It was cracked open enough that he could see the back of a man. On closer inspection, Remus realized it was Greyback, and seeing his torturer sent a chill through him.


Remus’ legs began to shake with fatigue. Taking out those three Death Eaters, another had been stationed at the top of the basement stairs, took more than he liked out of him. Remus stopped and closed his eyes, Steady Remus, old boy. You only have one shot at this. Make it count. You can do this. When he was satisfied that he could continue without an incident, he went to the door. Slowly and without sound Remus grabbed hold of the door handle.


Remus could hear Voldemort speaking to someone inside, “Fool, power like that shouldn’t be wasted on the likes of you, no matter, you will be dead soon. Let’s see if you can live through the killing curse again, shall we.”


Remus didn’t need to hear any more. He threw open the door with all the strength he had and aimed his wand at the person at Voldemort’s feet.


“Avada Kedavra!”



***




Harry braced himself for the spell, but was surprised to feel himself sliding across the floor, past two equally surprised Death Eaters, and out a door. Harry peered into the room he had just vacated and saw a nasty scorch mark smoking where he had been only seconds ago. What in Merlin’s name! Harry looked up to see the smiling face of none other than Remus Lupin.


Lupin slammed the door shut behind him and locked it, “That won’t hold for long. Need some help, Harry?” He aimed a wand at Harry and his bonds fell to the floor.


Harry was about to thank Remus, when a terrible explosion blasted the sitting room door into pieces. Both of them ducked through the front door Draco was holding open. The three of them wasted no time as they placed as much distance between them and the cottage as possible.


Between their injuries and the foot of snow on the ground, the going was slow for Harry and Remus. Draco however was out pacing them by several feet as he ploughed though the snow almost effortlessly. Harry took advantage of this and followed in Draco’s footsteps. Lupin caught on and started to do the same, but they still lagged behind as Harry watched Draco’s receding back.


“We have to make it either past the tree line or over the creek before we can Apparate,” Remus yelled nearly out of breath.


“That’s if you make it that far,” a voice said as two Death Eaters stepped into view on Harry’s left and took aim.


Harry dodged for shelter behind a woodshed as a spell whizzed past his ear. Lupin was close behind. The two huddled behind the small building as loud thuds vibrated the small shack. Harry doubted that it could withstand many more hits and desperately searched the surrounding area for somewhere else to go, but there was nowhere else. Wide open space stood between them and the creek which was over thirty yards away.


“We can take them, there are only two,” Harry breathed, his back pressed tightly against the building.


“Too late, they’re about to get some help,” Lupin gestured to the front door of the cottage.


Harry looked to see Lucius, Greyback, and others closing in on them fast. A volley of spells began to fly as they both dropped further behind the shelter. A large hole was blown into the shed spraying shards everywhere.


“Bloody Hell!” Harry yelled, “We can’t stay here much longer!”


“Where’s Draco?” Lupin asked as he haphazardly threw spells over Harry’s head.


“Last I saw he was running for the creek bank. Figures that slimy git would leave us behind the first chance he got!”


“You should go too, Harry, I’ll cover you!” Lupin yelled.


“What? No! I’m not leaving you. Besides, that’s my wand you’re holding!”


“Don’t argue with me…” Their conversation was cut short by another explosion.
Harry was thrown onto his back. His vision blurred and a deafening ringing sounded in his ears. He fought to shake it off and looked up just in time to find someone standing over him, wand drawn.



***




Remus was blasted into the air and landed with his left leg twisted and pinned beneath him, but that wasn’t the raw agony that made him scream. The pain was so sudden and harsh that the blackness threatened to take him over. He looked down at his body and saw a sharp jagged rock sticking through his torso. He turned his head unable to stomach the sight and watched in horror as the snow around him slowly turned to red.


Remus shut his eyes as he tried to push the pain back. When he opened them again he saw Harry a few short yards from him lying on the ground as well. He groaned as he saw two Death Eaters advancing on the youth’s location. Remus could feel soft wood in his right hand and knew that despite the blast he was able to hold onto Harry’s wand. He lifted it to aim, but was stopped as a heavy foot stepped on his hand crushing bone. A low throaty laugh made Remus cringe. That laugh was all too familiar.


“You didn’t actually think that we would let you leave us, Remus? And where would you go? Back to the humans?”


Remus was overcome with rage at his captor. He was embittered by the harsh treatment he had received over the last few months and tired of all the indignations he had suffered. But mostly he was outraged with his inability to help his friend. They were both going to die and it was his fault. He should have found another way to escape. There was only one thing left to do.


Remus braced himself and replied fearlessly, “I’m going to kill you, Greyback.”


The wolf like man disregarded his exclamation and laughed harder, “I made you Remus, and if anyone does any killing, it will be me.”


“Not today,” Remus said quietly.


Without warning Remus turned sharply onto his right side. Doing this ripped the rock from his flesh as he screamed. The world around him began to spin and fade in and out. He held his breath and clenched his jaw as he fumbled in the snow for Harry’s wand. He found the hilt sticking out from the bottom of Greyback’s boot and yanked. To Remus’ surprise he was able to pull it out with one tug. Without wasting time Remus shot a spell at the two Death Eaters near Harry. One was rammed into the other, both falling to the ground unconscious.


“Run! Harry, run!” Remus screamed.


Still lying on his side, he then turned his aim upwards to a still surprised Greyback. Remus could see the shock on the man’s face, but the shock abated quickly as Greyback kicked Remus’ right cheek. The thrust was powerful enough to send Remus careening backwards, jagged rock once again ripping and tearing into his flesh. Remus was prepared for this and again screamed, but in the form of a spell, “Avada Kedavra!”



***





Harry braced himself as the two Death Eaters stood over him. His hand slowly grabbed a patch of snow as he waited for the perfect moment. It wasn’t much but maybe throwing it in their faces may just give him the advantage he needed. Before he could make his move though, both Death Eaters were suddenly knocked to the ground by a single spell. Confused he followed the trajectory of the shot and saw Lupin lying in a patch of red snow, turning his aim to Greyback. Harry watched as green light lit up the scene in front of him. Seconds later a loud thumb hit the snow as the old werewolf had a look of utter horror and surprise forever plastered on his face.



***




Draco panted loudly as he made his way to the creek bank. Almost there. Without looking back he stepped forward. The sound of fighting behind him hastened his pace as he waded into the cold icy water. Once on the other side, he reached into his robe and fumbled for the wand he had stolen from one of the Death Eater guards. The sooner he got out of this place the better. Potter and the werewolf were on their own.


“Malfoy!”


Startled Draco dropped the wand. He turned to see a large man on a crutch with a wild eye limping up to him closely followed by others. Draco had remembered him as an instructor for DADA class, but couldn’t place the name. Was it Marty or Mordy?


“Where’s Potter?” The man growled.


Draco simply pointed across the creek to the fighting. Marty or was it Mordy, roughly brushed past Draco and ploughed into the brook. The rude man was followed by dozens of other wizards and witches as they too crossed the icy waters. Draco turned his back on the sight to look for the wand he had dropped. He found it stuck in the snow buried there by dozens of muddy tracks.




***





As soon as Harry saw Greyback’s body hit the ground, he pulled himself up and made his way to Remus’ side. It took a masterful amount of dodging and acrobatics to avoid all the spells zipping his way that surprised even Harry, but he was determined not let someone else die because of him. He reached his friend and picked up the wand in Remus’ loose grasp.


“Harry, go. It‘s too late to save me.”


Harry ignored him as he planted himself between the now six Death Eaters and his friend. Harry felt strength flow through him as he prepared to take them all on. He no longer had any doubts in his mind about his abilities or the future. All that was left was peace and confidence of his victory.




***





Remus watched on with satisfaction as Greyback fell to the ground. That should give Harry at least a good head start. He felt the energy leave his body as his wounds painfully reminded him of his own predicament. Remus felt his body shudder and his wand hand fell to his side. Someone picked the wand and stood over him. He saw those familiar emerald eyes staring back at him.


“Harry, go. It‘s too late to save me,” he gasped.


The young man disappeared from sight and Remus noticed that the light was becoming dimmer. The moon would be up soon and for the first time he could remember, he welcomed it with a smile as he realized he would never again have to face the change into that brute of a creature. Finally after all of these years he was free. A vision of beauty filled his sight as he remembered every curve and line of his life. Her name rested on his lips as he took his last breath, “Sugar Pops.”




***





What happened next was all a blur to Harry as he fended off the Death Eaters. As each spell found him, he was either able to deflect it or move from its path. He would not back down or give up. All that existed was his training and nothing else mattered. Harry felt a confidence and steadiness he had never felt before and used it to push back his enemies.


This went on for several long gruelling minutes until Harry suddenly noticed other spells coming from behind him. He dared not risk a glance back, but he knew that help had finally arrived. It was about time. It wasn’t long before all of the Death Eaters were disarmed and bound, including Lucius Malfoy who kept screaming obscenities until Mad-Eye gagged him.


Harry stood as if in a daze until a hand on his shoulder brought him back to reality, “Are you okay?”


He turned to see Arthur Weasley standing beside him.


“Yes, I’m fine. Voldemort is in the house.”


Mr. Weasley nodded and waved a group of Order members to the cottage. Harry then remembered Remus. He knelt down by the man’s side and knew that it was too late. His friend Remus Lupin was dead.



***




Harry sat by Remus’ side as the sun set on the horizon. A glow of golden light played on his old Professor’s face before it, too disappeared. Harry felt someone come up behind him.


“I thought you would want to know that Voldemort escaped,” Moody growled.


“Doesn’t matter, you wouldn’t have been able to stop him, not yet,” Harry said quietly.


Moody grunted, “Come on, Potter. Weasley will look after Lupin.”


Harry didn’t move, “Does it get any easier to watch good people die?”


It was quiet as Moody scratched his head and finally he replied, “No, but at least he died a hero, that’s something.”


“There seems to be a lot of that happening.”


“That’s what happens in war. Good people always die, but so do the bad ones. And that’s enough to give this old man something to look forward to.”