Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Broken Soul by silverfox

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Remus Lupin was a good kind man and we will all remember him as such. I find that my life was enriched beyond words just by knowing him. I first met Remus as a child…”


Harry turned his attention from Mr. Weasley who was speaking to the small gathering of people. The funeral was taking place at the Burrow. Mrs. Weasley had insisted on it since she had taken over the arrangements from Tonks, who was too distraught to do it herself. There wasn’t a large turn out, but Harry had expected that. Most of the Order was there along with the Weasley’s, Hermione, and a few people who Harry didn’t know.


It was funny to think that only a few short months ago, Bill and Fleur’s wedding had been held here. In fact, that was the last time Harry had seen the place. He shivered as he thought how that had ended. He still didn’t understand why Voldemort had attacked his Aunt and Uncle. It wasn’t like they were close or anything. It occurred to Harry that maybe there was more to it than just a simple murder, but he was at a loss as to what it could be, and besides, it wasn’t as if he didn’t have enough to worry about.


Have you inherited you mother’s gift? Harry shivered as he remembered Voldemort’s cold voice as he had asked Harry that question. What was Voldemort referring to by his mother’s gift? What gift? What in Merlin’s name had he been talking about, and why didn’t anyone ever tell him about it? Maybe Aunt Petunia knew something about it? Is that why he killed her, or was it simply just a warning to Harry that he was next? If there was a reason behind her death, it was unlikely he would ever find out what it was. What bothered him the most was wondering if there was any truth behind Voldemort’s question? Harry didn’t put it past Dumbledore to keep him out of the loop of such things. After all, he had done it before.


“I have had the privilege to work with Remus over the years. He was as dedicated in his work as anyone I ever saw. His dedication drove him to find an end to this terrible war by any means necessary.


And like so many before him, his life was ended too soon…” Mr. Weasley’s voice floated across the lawn.
Harry focused his attention on the heaving shoulders in front of him, his stomach knotted up.


Tonks was in tears as Mrs. Weasley tried to comfort her, but with little success. He was surprised Tonks had even made it to the funeral. She had become so upset at hearing the news of Remus’ death that she had fainted. Tonks then spent the next several days in the school’s hospital wing refusing to see anyone. Harry knew that she would take the news badly, but he hadn’t expected that. But the surprises didn’t stop there.


After a day in the Hogwart’s hospital wing, Madam Pomfrey had finally pronounced Tonks fine, but very pregnant. The Healer, of course, only told a handful of people, but by the next morning everyone at Hogwarts knew of the Transfiguration teacher’s condition. The news had shocked everyone. The only one who hadn’t seemed the least bit surprised was Hermione. She simply smiled at the news and went back to her potion’s essay, leaving Harry and Ron throwing confused looks at each other.


Later that day, Harry overheard two Gryffindor third years whispering in a corner about Tonks finally confessing that she and Remus had been married secretly sometime during the summer. It had been spur of the moment and right before he had gone back on some sort of secret mission. There had been no time to tell anyone, so they agreed to tell everyone when he returned, only this never happened. The girls giggled and called it romantic. But Harry barely had enough time to rush upstairs to the bathroom before his lunch came back up on him.


Harry sat in his chair as he felt the guilt eat through him like a worm. It was his fault Remus was dead. If only he had waited for Mad-Eye to show up, but how could he have known it would take the better part of a day for help to come. He also could have done more to save Remus, but Harry knew that blaming himself would not do him or anyone else any good. But it still didn’t make the guilt go away.


“The Head Mistress would now like to say something,” Mr. Weasley gestured to someone behind him.


Professor McGonagall stood up and began to speak, “I have known Remus Lupin since his schooldays at Hogwarts. He was a quiet man, but dedicated to the friends that he had…”


Harry heard a crackling noise and looked down to see a piece of paper blowing near his feet. The wind pressed it to the leg of the chair in front of him. It was The Daily Prophet from two days ago. The caption across the top sent chills down Harry’s spine as he read it, Small Town Decimated by Unknown Causes. Harry knew exactly what that unknown cause was, or at least who had caused it. It had been the reason for the Orders late arrival at Voldemort’s headquarters.


The conversation rang all too clearly in his head as he remembered meeting with the Order. It had taken place in the Head Mistress’ office only hours before. They had waited until then to meet because Harry had just been released from Madam Pomfrey’s care. Harry had been upset the moment he walked into the professor’s office, but things only seemed to get worse as the meeting wore on.


“What happened? Why were you late? I sent Fawkes!” Harry remembered yelling.


“I know, Harry. Please calm down. We came as soon as we could, but we had our hands full with other things,” Mr. Weasley tried to sooth him.


“What other things? Remus might still be alive if you’d shown up!”


“Harry, we didn’t come because Death Eaters had unleashed… well we still aren’t sure what exactly caused it,” Bill Weasley replied.


“I don’t understand? Caused what?”


“The Muggle town Shaftesburg was destroyed. Everyone was killed men, women, children, even the animals,” Mr. Weasley explained.


Harry looked from one person to the other confused, “How?”


Shacklebolt spoke up, “We don’t know how. All we know is that it was done magically and that Voldemort was responsible for it. The Dark Mark was left to make sure there was no confusion about that.”


“The strangest part about it is that nothing else was destroyed and there was no sign of a fight.” Bill Weasley shuddered. “It was like everything that lived or breathed in the town just up and died.”


“How is that possible? What kind of magic can do something like that?” Harry asked in shock.


Mr. Weasley finally spoke, “We’ve never heard of any that could. Moody thinks that it may have been a test for something new, something never seen before.”


Harry looked at the room before him, “If they can do this to a small town…” his voice trailed off not able to continue. Harry heard a grunt behind him and he turned to see Mad-Eye. The man had been unusually quiet until now.


The Auror propped himself up on his crutch and squinted with his good eye at Harry, “I think it’s time you came clean with us, Potter. Time is of the essence here. If you have something that will bring down that monster, we need to know about it, now!” He emphasised this by hitting the bottom of his crutch to the floor making the people near him jump slightly.


The room grew quiet as the Auror’s magical eye focused on Harry. Harry twitched under the scrutiny, but met Mad-Eye’s hard gaze without saying a word. This went on for several long minutes, but no one wanted to be the first to speak.


The Headmistress pursed her lips and broke the heavy, awkward silence herself, “Perhaps this isn’t the time, Alastor.”


“This is exactly the time!” he growled. “We’ve given Potter time and what does he have to show for it? Nothing I tell you, absolutely nothing! Instead he goes gallivanting off to Merlin knows where and nearly gets himself killed! We have to act now before it’s too late! We have Voldemort on the run. Now is the time to strike!”


Harry bristled at this, “Don’t you think I don’t know that! I told you doing that would be pointless! And as for giving me enough time? You think you’ve given me enough? Do you have any idea how difficult this is? How impossible? How I may never be able to do this?”


“No, we don’t know, because you won’t tell us anything! I’m getting tired of being kept out of loop!”


Again Mad-Eye hit the floor with his crutch. This time with enough force to send several tea cups from the Headmistress’ desk onto the floor. Shacklebolt was quick with his wand and caught the dishes before they had a chance to shatter.


“Really, Alastor, that kind of behaviour isn’t necessary.” McGonagall scolded.


Harry ignored the other occupants in the room and continued to meet the Auror’s penetrating gaze, “I can’t tell you anything, because if Voldemort found out what I was up to, any chances that we have will be gone!”


Mad-Eye grunted, “So you’re saying you don’t trust us!”


“No… I … Dumbledore…” Harry was at a loss for words. Deep down he knew Mad-Eye was right. He didn’t trust the Order, not with this. It was too important to tell just anyone, and Harry knew that Voldemort had his spies everywhere.


Hermione piped up, “What Harry is trying to say, is that the less people who knows about what’s going on the better chance we have at keeping this quiet. Moody, you of all people should know the importance of a well kept secret.”


“Yeah, that’s right! So just back off. Harry knows what he’s doing. Don’t you, Mate?” Ron stood to join Hermione.


All eyes turned to Harry. Not sure what to do he smiled with more confidence than he felt. His heart sank as he realised that maybe he didn’t know what he was doing and his friends were putting too much faith in him. He looked at Ron and Hermione as they both smiled back. He could see the loyalty and confidence shine in their eyes. He remembered how it saddened and strengthened him at the same time.


Harry was brought back to the present by the all too familiar voice of the Head Mistress, “Remus was a most excellent student. He always did well with his studies and was always willing to help others…”


Harry turned his head to the right and gazed at his two friend’s profiles. They had refused to leave his side since he had returned to Hogwarts, and as predicted Hermione had given him an earful about leaving without them. Harry couldn’t be angry or annoyed with her. His heart swelled as tears found their way to the corner of his eyes. How did he ever get so lucky as to have such wonderful friends? He didn’t deserve them.


Harry felt someone squeeze his left hand. He squeezed back and turned to look into the brown eyes by his side, speaking of not being deserving. Ginny. He didn’t know what he’d do without her. She could be so hard-headed, so stubborn. Harry held back a laugh as he remembered her tantrum from two days ago. He had still been in the hospital wing healing from his wounds. He had been having a quiet conversation with Hermione and Ron when she came stomping through the hospital doors.


“Damn you, Potter! What were you thinking going off like that? We were all worried senseless!”


“Ginny I…” the savage look in the young woman’s eyes stopped him.


“Don’t you dare give me one of your stupid lame, ridiculous excuses! Why in Merlin’s name did you go tramping off by yourself? Who do you think you are? Ron, why didn’t you go with him?”


Ron sat perfectly still in his seat looking pale and unsure of what to say, “I…err…”


“Oh shut up!” she yelled.


“Err… okay,” Ron slipped low in his chair and bowed his head.


Ginny turned her nose up at her brother and again threw all her anger back at Harry. “How could you, Harry Potter! Voldemort could have…” but before she could finish she was pulled from her feet and into Harry’s lap, a pair of arms surrounding her.


Seconds turned into a long minutes as he kissed the girl. He put all his feelings for her behind it. Harry was determined to make up for lost time. Eventually he pulled away and looked into her eyes. She gazed back not able to speak for a moment.


She finally found her voice, “What… what was that for?”


Harry smirked, “Can’t I kiss my girlfriend?”


Ginny sat up abruptly and pushed him away, “I thought we weren’t like that?”


He threw up his hands, “So I’m an idiot and decided to change my mind.”


“We still have some issues.”


Harry pulled her back into his arms, “I know, but can’t we discuss that later.”


Ginny gave him a stern look and tried to wiggle out of his grasp, “Harry!”


“Ginny!” Harry mimicked with a laugh.


She hit him, “Stop!”


“You stop!”


“HARRY!” she screamed as she struggled against him.


He leaned in to kiss her before she could protest again.


“Err… guys…” but they both ignored Ron as they continued to kiss passionately.


Harry smiled broadly as he remembered the kiss. Warmth filled him from head to toe. He continued to gaze at the red haired beauty at his side. She looked so beautiful in her simple black dress. Why did it take him so long to come to his senses? If Remus’ death taught him one thing, it was to not waste any time you might have. You never knew when it would be up.


“What?” Ginny mouthed silently.


In response he picked up the girl’s hand and tenderly kissed it. He then turned his attention back to the Headmistress’ speech.


“We will always remember Remus Lupin as a brave strong man. He was someone not afraid to stand up for what was right. His bravery touched us all. We should feel privileged to have known such a man and be glad that we each can say that above all else, he was a good friend to us all.”



***




Harry walked down Hogwarts hallway briskly. He was on a mission and there wasn’t much time before he and the others had to leave once again. He had just arrived back to the school from Remus’ funeral when he heard that the Ministry was taking Draco in for questioning. McGonagall had insisted that he stay at the school until his wounds had healed despite Scrimgeour’s protests. Harry had a few things to say to Draco before that happened.


Harry barged into the room in which Draco was being held and spotted the blond by a large window. Without missing a beat he threw the door closed with a loud bang and confronted the young man. “Draco, you should be ashamed of yourself! It should have been your funeral today, not his. He was a good man, a great man. You will never be anything like him.”


“You’re right,” Draco said quietly.


Harry stopped in his tracks taken off guard by Draco’s response. “What did you say?” he asked not quite believing his ears.


“I said you’re right. Why did I live and he… he didn’t.” Draco’s voice cracked. After a few moments he was able to continue, “He saved my life you know, and what do I do, I run like a coward. A lot of people seem to be doing that lately, saving me that is,” he bowed his head as if in shame.


Silence hung in the air. Harry wasn’t sure what to say. He had never seen this side of Draco before. It seemed surreal that he was standing here, almost feeling sorry for the person in front of him. He was after all, as much of a victim in this as everyone else. Harry was just starting to realise this as he gazed at the blond. “What will you do now?”


Draco sighed, “I don’t know. My life, as I know it, is over. I almost wish I had died. There are some things worse that death, and pain that goes too deep to be forgiven.”


Harry shifted his weight and nervously put his hands in his pockets, “Draco, look…”


“Don’t!” Draco snapped as his head came up, eyes ablaze. “Don’t you dare start being nice to me, Potter! You’ll only insult me by doing so,” with that he turned and walked out of the room without looking back.


Harry stood in the vacant room as he closed his eyes. Draco was in for a very hard road in front of him. Harry laughed sarcastically. For that matter so was he. Pain, it was everywhere. Most of it rested in his own heart as he remembered his lost friends and family. When would this ever stop? Would he ever be able to live a normal life?


“Harry?”


He felt a gentle touch on his shoulder. He smiled gravely and opened his eyes to see Ginny. He stretched out a hand to pull her close and rested his chin on top of her head.


“You okay?” she asked softly.


“I am now,” he smiled.


“Are we going to do this? Ron and Hermione are ready to go.”


“Yeah, let’s do this,” he pulled away and led her to the door.


“You actually think we’ll find something in the Chamber of Secrets this time?” Ginny asked as she walked through the door Harry held open.


“Yes, I do.”


“What makes you so sure?” she stretched out a hand toward him.


Harry took it as they walked down the hall, “Because I have you.”



.