Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Broken Soul by silverfox

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Ginny, Harry, and Ron make recoveries, meanwhile Hermione finds someone to help them destory the suit Horcrux.
The trip to the Chamber was a success. We found the Gryffindor Horcrux and were able to secure it in the Room of Requirements. Now we must figure out how to destroy the piece of Voldemort’s soul that resides inside. Hermione believes that the goblins may be the key to this. She is making contact with Ron’s brother Bill now. Maybe he can help us in contacting the goblins.


Now that we have a fairly good idea about what the two remaining Horcruxes are, we can focus on where they might be located. The search for the Horcruxes has taken a major turn in the right direction, but I fear the search is taking too long.




Harry sighed heavily as he laid his quill aside. He stared, mesmerised by the black ink before him, reading and rereading the last sentence written. Having had enough, he slammed his journal closed and tossed it onto the night table.


“What’s wrong, mate?” Ron asked poking his head around Harry’s partition.


Harry shrugged and leant back against his pillow. “I wish Madam Pomfrey would release me already. My shoulder is doing much better and I’m feeling fine.”


Ron took a chair and rested his trainers on the edge of the bed. “She’s just concerned and wants to make sure you make a full recovery. Considering this is the second time within a couple of days that you’ve needed her services, I don’t blame her.”


“Yeah, well I’m not too thrilled about being here either. I feel like I spend more time in the hospital wing than anywhere else.”


“That’s because you have, mate, at least recently you have. You spent two days here after that whole thing at Voldemort’s headquarters. Then no more than a day after your release you come back with dozens of cuts and scrapes, multiple snake bites, a huge chunk out of your shoulder, and no decent excuse as to why.”


“I know, but sitting here isn’t getting me any closer to stopping Voldemort.”


“And what do you think Hermione’s doing? You asked her to check out the goblin lead. That’s something.”


Harry snorted. “It wasn’t so much as me asking, as it was her running out the door and yelling to us where she was going.”


Ron laughed. “True. She’s a pistol, that one.”


“How’s Ginny?” Harry asked suddenly.


Ron got up. “Why don’t you see for yourself. She’s awake now.”


Harry threw a pillow at his friend and quickly got out of bed. “Why didn’t you say so in the first place?”
Ron shrugged. “You seemed completely content in complaining. Who am I to interrupt such bliss?”


Harry threw the young man a nasty look and walked out from behind his partition leaving Ron behind. He began walking slowly down the row of beds. Four beds down, he found Ginny. She looked so pale lying there.


She noticed Harry and smiled. He went forward and sat down on the edge of her bed, taking her hand in his.


“How are you?” he asked gently.


“Fine,” she replied.


Harry stroked her cheek. “We were worried about you.”


“I know. Sorry about that.”


“There’s nothing to apologize for. You’re better and that is all that counts.”


“How are you?” Ginny asked, lightly touching the white bandage on his shoulder.


“Oh that,” Harry took her outstretched hand and kissed it. “It will be fine. Madam Pomfrey says it’s healing nicely and I should be out of here in the next day or so. So should you.”


A few moments of comfortable silence passed between them as they quietly gazed into each other’s eyes. Ginny finally spoke. “Ron says that Hermione might have a lead on how to destroy the suit?”


“Yes, she’s meeting with Bill now.”



***




Hermione impatiently tapped her foot against the wood floor. She had been waiting for Bill to show up for over half an hour. He had said he might be a little late, but this was ridiculous. She looked around at the small office in an effort to distract herself. Needless to say, it wasn’t what she had expected.


It was a cosy office, no bigger than her bedroom at home. What it lacked in size, it made up for in grandeur though. The mahogany walls boasted large elegant portraits and detailed tapestries. A large fireplace filled most of one wall, while a massive marble desk took up the majority of the opposite wall. It was this desk that Hermione was currently sitting in front of.


She leaned forward to get a closer look at the picture frame setting near the edge. The picture showed the nine bright smiling faces of the Weasley family, Fleur, Harry and herself as they each posed for the camera. Hermione recognised it as the picture taken at Bill and Fleur’s wedding months ago.


“Sorry I’m late.”


Hermione was jolted at the sudden intrusion and glanced up to see Bill coming into the room and closing the door behind him.


“I had a rather nasty run in with a gypsies’ hex which filled half of the lower level of the bank with a terrible smell,” Bill Weasley threw an apologetic smile at her.


Hermione stood up. “Oh no. That’s fine.”


His smile turned to a look of concern as he took a seat behind his desk, “How’re Ginny, Ron, and Harry? I heard that they’d been hurt. I tried to get over to the school, but you know how it is. Things have been rather busy the last few weeks.”


“They’re fine,” Hermione said, sitting back down. “They should be out of the hospital wing very soon.”


Relief flooded the other’s face. “Good. I was worried, so was Fleur.”


“How is Fleur?”


“Good. She’s been just as busy as I have. I think we saw more of each other before we were married, but you didn’t come here to talk about my marriage. Your letter sounded urgent.”


“It is,” Hermione took a deep breath before continuing. “The four of us recently came in possession of a very important object. We believe it may have been manufactured by goblins, and were hoping to get their assistance in destroying it.”


Bill raised an eyebrow. “Destroying it? If it’s important, then why destroy it?”


Hermione sighed. “Look it’s a long story and well… you’re not exactly in the loop on this.”


Bill smiled knowingly. “Let me guess, this has something to do with Harry’s mysterious quest?”


“Yes, so I would appreciate it if you kept the questions to a minimum.”


“Look, I understand the need for secrecy here, but the goblins won’t. They will need an explanation before they even think about helping you, if they even decide to help. They aren’t exactly in the business of doing wizards favours.”


“I know. That’s why I came here. I was hoping you could help us convince the goblins to help.”


Bill let out a long sigh. “Do you even know what you’re asking, Hermione?”


“I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t important. We need your help. I need your help. Bill; getting the goblin’s cooperation on this will mean the difference between winning and losing this war.” Hermione carefully watched the man across from her as he leaned back in his chair.


Moments passed, but he finally spoke. “If it’s that important than I’ll do what I can, but there are no guarantees, and you must be very careful when dealing with goblins. They are very paranoid and this war has made them doubly so. If they think for minute that they are being set up or used in any way…”


“You know us. We wouldn’t do that!” Hermione exclaimed.


Bill held up his hands to calm her. “I know, but they don’t know you like I do. It took me years to gain the goblins’ trust, and even now our relationship is not perfect. One wrong move on any of our parts could end everything I’ve worked so hard for.”


“I promise I’ll do everything I can not to upset the goblins.”


“As long as that’s clear…” Bill sat forward. “We can talk to Hoto. He’s more willing to work with wizards. He is also a strong activist against Voldemort and his Death Eaters. Before we do, I will have to get a few questions answered, and that is non-negotiable.”


“What questions did you have?”



***




Harry sat in the plush chair as he tapped his fingers on the chair’s wooden armrest. He sighed as he stood up and began to walk around the office. He stopped pacing as he came back to the large marble desk and picked up the picture there. He smiled as he remembered when it was taken.


“How long does it take to fetch a goblin?” Harry heard Ron complain behind him.


“We’ve waited five days. A few more minutes won’t kill us,” Hermione admonished.


“Says you,” Ron grumbled back.


“Will you two cut it out? You guys are worse than bickering hens,” Ginny said, as she came up behind Harry. “I remember when that was taken,” she replied softly in his ear. “That day would have been perfect if it wasn’t for the Death Eaters crashing the wedding.”


“Don’t remind me,” Harry groaned as he set the picture back down on the desk. He then pulled Ginny to him. “Besides there are much more exciting things to think about.


Ginny giggled as she blushed. “Yeah, like talking to a certain goblin.”


“That’s not what I meant,” Harry grinned.


“I know what you meant, Mr. Potter,” she slapped at him playfully.


“Guys, would you please not do that around me. You’re making me sick,” Ron yelled.


Harry let Ginny go as he winked at her. “I think we’ve embarrassed your brother enough for one day.”


Ginny ignored him as she wrapped her arms around Harry’s neck and kissed him.


Harry couldn’t help but grin as he heard Ron groan. He watched out of the corner of his eye as the redhead stood up and went for the door.


“If you guys insist on making out, I’m going somewhere else,” Ron complained as he opened the office door and let out a yell.


Harry pulled away from Ginny to get a better look at what had surprised Ron. Standing in the doorway was Bill and a short dark-skinned goblin. Ron backed away as the two entered the room. Bill closed the door before speaking.


“Hello, sorry we kept you waiting. This is Hoto the Whistler. Hoto, this is Hermione Granger. She is the witch I was telling you about. This is my sister Ginny, my brother Ron, and Harry-”


“Potter,” the goblin finished as he squinted at Harry’s forehead. “Weasley tells me you need something destroyed; a cursed suit of armour?”


“Yes,” Harry replied.


“Exactly how was this suit cursed?” Hoto asked.


“Does it matter? We just need to know how to destroy it,” Ron replied impatiently.


“Dear boy, what you ask isn’t so simple. If you want my help, I need to know what I’m getting myself into. For all I know you could be trying to get me to do something illegal or worse.”


“It’s nothing like that,” Ron said.


“Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But I can honestly say that in all of my years as a metal smith I have never had anyone ask me to outright destroy a suit of armour. This makes me believe that this thing is cursed and poses a threat. I can not in good conscience help you if I do not know what I am up against.”


“So you’ll help us?” Ginny asked.


“I did not say that.”


“But you said…“ Ron began.


Harry cut his friend off. “Look, if we had any other way to do this we would do it, but the truth is this thing is indestructible.”


“It’s indestructible because we made it that way for a reason, and now you are asking me to do the impossible.”


“So it can’t be destroyed,” Hermione asked.


“I didn’t say that.”


“So what are you saying?” Ron asked impatiently.


“Do you have any idea how much hard work goes into making such a thing? It is not an easy task. Many years of a goblin’s life is spent at crafting each section of a masterpiece. It is more than just metal. It is a work of art. To destroy something so precious would mean to belittle that goblin’s life and accomplishments.”


Ron rolled his eyes. “More is at stake here than a goblin’s life. Try every goblin, every witch and wizard, every single being on this plant. I’m sure whoever made the suit will understand.”


“Maybe he might, but I don’t. Because you won’t tell me what I need to know.”


“Fine, I’ll tell you, but what I say in this room stays in this room,” Harry said.


“Do you think that is wise?” Hermione asked quietly.


“Look, we knew we couldn’t keep this a secret forever. If Hoto can get us anther step closer to destroying Voldemort, than we have no choice but to trust him. We are running out of time.” He turned to Bill, “I’m assuming this room is secure. No one can hear what we are saying in this room.”


“Yes, you can speak freely.”


Harry addressed Hoto, “The suit of armour in question is the one that was given to Godric Gryffindor as a gift for helping to open Hogwarts.”


“Ah, the Gryffindor armour… yes, yes, I remember hearing of its construction when I was still a small one. It was rumoured to be the most magnificent work yet of Elgin the Wise. He was the most accomplished metal smith of his time. We still use his instructions to craft our metal. Why would you want to destroy such a lovely masterpiece?”


“Because it holds a piece of Voldemort’s soul,” Harry said quietly.


The room was still. No one dared to speak as the goblin stroked his chin thoughtfully. The clock on Bill’s mantle ticked away as time slowly passed the small group by.


Finally Hoto spoke. “Ah, you make reference to an ancient curse, one that is dangerous and too powerful to speak of. Things are beginning to make more sense. Once this soul is destroyed He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named will be able to be destroyed?”


Harry sighed, “No, unfortunately there are two more.”


“Two?” Hoto asked, a puzzled look on his face, “How many did he make?”


“Harry,” Hermione warned.


He ignored her as he answered the goblins question. “Seven, including himself.”


“Seven? He is mad! Splitting a soul in so many pieces is dangerous.”


“How do you know about Horcruxes? I thought only a very small handful of wizards knew about them?” Hermione asked suspiciously.


“Wizards, yes. But I am not a wizard. I am a goblin, and goblins know more than wizards give them credit for. We know wizards’ most hidden secrets. Why do you think they leave us alone?”


“So it is possible to extract the soul from the suit?” Ginny asked.


“Yes, but I will need help. Such a thing will require only the best.”


“The best?” Harry asked.


“Telford the Iron Eater, he is the best metal smith at Gringotts. He will be able to help.”


“Yes, but will he be willing to help us.”


“For the right price, I think so.”



***




Harry climbed out of the metal car as he turned to help Ginny up.


“This is probably the worst way I have ever travelled,” Ginny complained, as she wiped her jeans of flecks of metal and dirt.


“Ah, but it’s fast, no?” the short grey-haired goblin grinned.


“Thanks, Griphook,” Harry nodded.


“Always a pleasure, Mr. Potter,” Griphook said as he pulled a lever and went barrelling down the track in the opposite direction.


Moments later the group were assembled in the bowels of the bank’s underground vault system. Harry noticed a large door a few feet away.


“What are we doing down here. I thought you said you were going to take us to your metal smith,” Harry asked.


Hoto walked forward and waived his hand in front of the large door, “I am. You didn’t think we would trust our most precious secrets of metal craft to just anyone. Our vaults serve a duel purpose. We use them to keep our own secrets as well those of wizards.”


Metal creaked and groaned as the door slowly swung open to reveal a room that looked to be the size of the Great Hall at Hogwarts. Smoke filled the air and scrapes of metal littered the floor.


“So why are you trusting us with your secret?” Hermione asked.


“Because you are trusting me with yours,” Hoto replied as he disappeared behind a huge stack of swords and axes.


Minutes later he emerged with another goblin. This one looked much older. He was hunched over and had a funny scar across one cheek.


“This is Telford the Iron Eater,” Hoto gestured to the goblin at his side. “He is a great metal smith who has fashioned the wizarding world’s most elaborate metal work for the last half century.”


“Hoto says you want to destroy a precious relic,” Telford said, as he looked down at his feet.


“Not necessarily destroy, but we need to lift a terrible curse from it,” Hermione explained.


“Lifting curses often lead to the destruction of the object that was cursed, and this particular curse depends on it I think,” the goblin nodded as he continued to look at his feet.


“It’s for a good cause. It will help to bring Voldemort down,” Ginny replied.


Telford shook his head violently. “I do not concern myself with the troubles of the world. My shop and work are all that I need to sustain me.”


“You’ll be concerned when Voldemort and his Death Eaters knock down your door,” Ron whispered.


“Shhh…” Hermione scolded.


“Please, Telford, will you help us? I can pay you well for your services,” Harry said.


“Bah,” the goblin waved a hand, looking up for the first time. “Money does not concern me.”


Harry turned to Hoto with a confused look. “I thought you said he’d want money?”


“Oh, the money isn’t for him. It’s for…”


“Me, of course,” a voice said from a dark corner.


They all turned to see a goblin step from the shadows. He was tall for a goblin and well dressed. His pointy ears stuck out of the top of a bowler hat. His long fingers were adorned with many rings.


“My brother does not have a head for business. So it falls to me to take care of it for him. It wouldn’t be right if I were to allow my brother’s special talent to be abused and misused.” The well-dressed goblin walked over to his brother and laid a hand on his hunched shoulders. “Isn’t that right, Telford?”


“What? Yes, yes, of course,” the goblin went back examining his feet very closely.


“I understand that the curse on this item is quite powerful. It will require much hard work for my brother to break it. Such a thing does not come cheap.”


“Name your price,” Harry said.


“Oh, I would hate to put a price on a job like this. It’s really no telling how long something like this could take. Telford works by the hour you know.”


“I get the picture. Just name a price and I’ll pay it.”


The goblin stroked his chin, “Really?”



***




Telford stood carefully examining the gleaming suit of metal before him. He was in awe of the craftsmanship. The metal etching was exquisite and the gem settings were masterful.


He was pulled from his reverie by a slamming door.


“This is it, dear brother!” Tolman exclaimed. “This is finally what we’ve been waiting for. That boy will pay anything we ask. Can you imagine the possibilities? But I wonder… if he is willing to pay so much, then what would others be willing to pay?”


“No,” Telford said quietly.


“‘No’, what, brother?” Tolman cocked his head making his hat slid over one eye.


“This is important. We can’t betray them,” Telford said, almost in a whisper.


“Betray, betray! Who said anything about betraying anyone? I just want to make sure we get our money’s worth,” Tolman slid his hat back in place. “Since when did you care about betrayal or anything else besides your work? Leave the business side of things to me. I’ll take care of everything.”


“That’s what I’m afraid of,” Telford said under his breath as he went to work.