Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Broken Soul by silverfox

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Tonks has her baby, while Harry deals with being in hiding and having a special Valentine's with Ginny.

Chapter 29: Lupin’s Legacy




Tonks paced the floor anxious and terrified of the future that lay before her. She had tried to picture her life without Remus, but she couldn’t. She had such dreams and hopes. Now that was all gone. It had been over three months since his funeral, yet she still couldn’t come to terms that he was really gone. Tonks rubbed her large belly as tears threatened to flow. The worst part was that now she would have to raise their little one all alone, and their child would never know his father.


“Tonks, is there anything I can do for you.”


She turned to see Molly Weasley in her bedroom doorway, “No, Molly, but thank you.”


The older woman looked dubious at the other’s reply. “Are you sure?”


“Yes, I’m fine.”


“Okay, let me know if I can get you anything.” The redheaded woman turned and disappeared from sight.


Tonks sighed.


Everyone had been walking on eggshells around her for the past three months. They were afraid of upsetting her again. The Healer had cautioned her that she needed to try to get her emotions in check, or it could cause her to go into labor too early. So far, she was doing well. Only two weeks to go.


Carefully sitting in a cushioned rocking chair, she began to rock back and forth. The room before her was a small one, but it was perfect for her and the baby. Her bed rested against one wall with a chest of drawers while a crib and small bookshelf rested on the other. She smiled at the little stuffed animals that adorned the top of the shelves.


She was so lucky to have a great support system. After Remus’s funeral, Molly had insisted that she come back to Grimmuald place to stay until the baby was born. Tonks was not happy about leaving her students at Hogwarts, but McGonagall had assured her that they would get by without her. Tonks had settled into her room and focused on getting ready for the baby. With Molly’s help, along with many others, it was proving to be almost fun.


Tonks closed her eyes and saw the face of her love. His brown eyes held that special look that he always saved for her and his lips mouthed her nickname, Sugar Pops. Chills ran down her spine as her eyes snapped open. Pain stabbed her heart and shot through her body. Tonks was having difficulty breathing as she felt the baby twist in protest inside her.


Calm, stay clam Tonks told herself. The pain wouldn’t go away. It remained as her whole body began to ache. Suddenly a sharp pain went through her abdomen, making her cry out. Tonks grabbed her stomach and leaned forward. It was then that she noticed a pool of water the floor.



***




A spell scorched the wall behind Harry’s head as he deflected it effortlessly. Six more spells came towards him in a volley and he managed to avert them just as easily. Harry smiled broadly. He was getting so comfortable using non-verbal spells that he doubted Hermione could keep up with him.


“Not bad, Potter,” Snape replied, his usual sneer replaced with a slight nod.


Harry’s smile became even larger at the man’s compliment. Not receiving dark looks and snide remarks was almost unheard of from the man before him. It made Harry very nervous. Maybe things might be different between them after all. Suddenly something hit Harry in the chest, making him land flat on his back while his wand was thrown across the room. Sharp pain shot through his backside and engulfed him as Harry lay staring up at the ceiling. Well, maybe not.


Snape’s voice had an even harder edge than normal as he stood over Harry. His usual sneer was back, “Never, ever think you’re good enough. There is no such thing, because there is always someone out there who is better than you are.”


Harry pulled himself up off the floor and watched Snape’s receding back. Nothing ever changes, no matter how much changes, he thought sourly. Truth be told, he like things this way. It was easier to pretend that he had never seen that memory a month ago, even though it haunted his every waking moment since then. If he felt this way, he could only imagined how Snape felt about everything being out in the open. Harry shook his head to get the image out of his mind. Enough! Time to think about something else.


The last month had given Harry plenty of time to think of something else. It seemed that his prison break had created a lot of controversy in the wizarding world. Many believed Scrimgeour’s announcement that Harry had turned and he was in fact working for Voldemort all along. Others refused to believe this and still proclaimed Harry as the Chosen One. It seemed as though the war with Voldemort had taken a backseat while Harry’s true allegiance took precedence and even caused a small riot outside the Ministry of Magic a week after Harry’s rescue mission. This frustrated and unnerved him to no end, but he was unable to do anything about it as he was stuck in hiding, again, with Snape. The universe had a funny way of showing its gratitude.


“Hey, am I interrupting?” a soft voice pulled Harry from his thoughts.


He turned to see a curvy silhouette standing in the doorway. A sweet smell of flowers made him smile as he bridged the gap between him and the girl. He wrapped an arm around her and planted a gentle kiss on her lips. He looked into her dancing eyes and replied simply, “Never.”


“Actually-” a drawl sounded from behind the two.


Harry’s gaze did not leave Ginny’s as he unceremoniously interrupted his instructor, “Actually, we were just taking a break.” He then swept the girl from the training room and closed the door behind them before Snape could contradict him further.


“Harry, if you’re busy, I can come back.”


“Absolutely not! I’ve been at it for so long that I could use a break. It’s a good thing you came along, because I don’t think the word break is in his vocabulary.”


Ginny giggled, “Yeah, I think you’re right.”


“I’m glad you’re here,” he said softly, kissing the top of her head.


“You asked me to come.”


“I just thought it would be nice for us to spend Valentine’s together. I know we can’t really go anywhere, so I planned something here.”


“Really?” the girl’s eyes slightly gleamed.


Harry led her into the kitchen and stood aside so she could see more clearly into the room. Ginny gasped as she took in the sight before her. Harry smiled. He had spent the better part of last night preparing for this and, from the looks of things it was paying off already.


He had transformed the kitchen into an impressive array of roses, lilies, and tulips. White linen adorned the kitchen table while sparkling silver glittered from two place settings. Looking up where the ceiling once resided, a bright blue sky held fluffy white clouds as they danced in rhythm to soft music.


“Oh, it’s so gorgeous. This must have taken hours to set up.” She stepped up to an arrangement of white and purple lilies, taking in their musky fragrance.


Harry smiled broadened as he waved his wand. An assortment of meats, pies, breads, pastries and more filled every inch of the kitchen table. He took Ginny by the hand and led her to the table. Harry pulled out a chair and motioned for her to sit. He then found his way across the table to his own seat, thanking Hermione secretly once again for her brilliant ideas.



***




“Just breath. Everything will be fine, Tonks,” Molly led her down the stairs.


“Everything is not fine!” Tonks replied heatedly between breaths. “I can’t have this baby without Remus. I just can’t.”


“Yes, you can. I’ll be there with you the entire time, I promise.”


“It’s not the same! Ahhh!” Tonks doubled over as another contraction tore through her body.
“Oh dear, those contractions are awfully close together. We better get you to the hospital as soon as we can.”



***




“So, how are you doing here?” Ginny inquired as she took a large spoonful of rice pudding from the bowl in front of her.


The two of them had spent the last half an hour enjoying the lavish meal before them, and now they were starting on dessert. Most of the conversation up to this point had been light and humorous, but now Harry suspected it would turn more serious. He took a bite of his own pudding before answering, hoping that maybe he could avoid what he knew would be coming, “How do you think? I’m stuck in this house all the time with the world’s biggest git. Sometimes I wonder if I should just turn myself in.”


Ginny’s spoon froze in mid air as she gave him a stern look, “Don’t say that, Harry. You know you can’t do that. How will you be able to finish the search for the Horcruxes?”


“What search?” His voice rose slightly as he continued, “I’ve been stuck here for weeks, and there have been no new leads about the cup or the shield’s whereabouts.”


“It takes time,” Ginny tried to reassure him.


“Time that we don’t have!” Harry threw his spoon to the table and stood up as his pudding went flying in all directions. Anger flooded through him as his frustrations of the past few weeks washed over him. He knew she was just trying to help, but her efforts were only frustrating him more.


Ginny stood and went to his side. She lay a hand softly on his shoulder, “Harry, please. What you are doing here with Snape is important too. Finishing your training is a must, if you want to be able to face Voldemort and survive.”


“I know,” he closed his eyes, upset at himself for losing his temper in front of her and ruining her Valentine’s dinner.


“Then don’t get so upset. You aren’t wasting your time by being here, and the rest of us are doing the best that we can to find the last two Horcruxes.”


“I know you are and I appreciate that. It’s just…” He sat back down in his chair unable to continue. He fingered the spoon he had thrown moments before, wishing that he had not said anything in the first place.


Ginny remained standing as she gently ran a hand through his hair, “You’re upset about what’s going on, as a result from you rescuing Snape.”


Harry simply nodded without saying a word. Ginny knew him so well sometimes. It made him feel comforted to know that she was there for him. Just a simple glance or word from her made his troubles a little easier to bear. He looked up at her and met her gaze, “This is not how I wanted things to turn out. I wanted people to join together to fight Voldemort and his followers, not be torn apart. I just made things worse. If this keeps up, Voldemort won’t have any trouble winning this war. All he’ll have to do is wait long enough for us to turn on each other.”


“It won’t come to that,” she replied simply. The resolve in her voice almost made him believe her.


“Won’t it?” Harry shook his head, “I think you’re wrong. Something needs to be done and if that means turning myself in-”


“That won’t solve anything!” Ginny stomped her foot and glared at him, “It will only give Scrimgeour what he wants, and make things worse. The best thing for you to do is to stay in hiding and finish your mission. We all agreed about this.”


“You mean you, Ron, Hermione, and the Order agreed to that. I was out-voted.”


“Because your plan was reckless and pointless.”


Harry sighed, “Can we not argue about this right now. Today was supposed to be special,” he gave her a lopsided smile.


Anger quickly left Ginny’s face as she met his silly grin, “You’re right.” She then went back to her seat and smiled brightly at him, “Can you pass the apple pie?”



***




Tonks rested her back on the hospital bed as another contraction finally let up. The Healer said that it wouldn’t be long now. She had dilated seven centimeters and her contractions were only two minutes a part. She looked around the tiny hospital room in search of Molly, but remembered that she had gone to inform the others about the baby coming.


Her eyes began to mist as she thought of all the people who were so anxious to see the new little life that was inside of her. The baby would probably be one of the most loved in England, and yet, somehow, it didn’t seem like enough. Her thoughts always came back to her husband and what he would be missing.


Tonks remembered the last time she had seen him like it was yesterday. It was raining that day and he was in a hurry. They had overslept. Remus had been so upset and angry with himself for sleeping in. The two of them had rushed around in order to get him out of the house in time.


“Don’t forget your books, Remus,” Tonks admonished as she stuffed them in his suitcase.


“Oh, right, I’ll need those to relay messages. Whose bright idea was it to use a used bookstore as a dead drop anyways?” He laughed, throwing a shirt on top of the small stack.


“Don’t make fun of my idea. It makes more sense than yours did,” she shot back.


He rounded the bed and swept her up into his arms, “Oh, yeah? Are you saying that you’re smarting than me?”


Tonks struggled against him as he began to kiss her neck, “Remus, you’re going to be late!”


Remus pulled away suddenly and became very serious, “I’m going to miss you. I’m already counting the days until I come back to you.”


She placed a finger to his lips, “As long as we are in each other’s hearts, we will always be together.”


Remus smiled and placed a wet kiss on her forehead, “Like I said before. You’re smarter than I am and better looking too.”


Tonks smiled as she remembered that moment fondly. It was so bittersweet to think about, but she couldn’t help it. She remembered his last kiss, his last smile, and his last goodbye. If only she had known then that it would be the last time she would ever see him. What? Would she have stopped him from going? Tonks sighed heavily. If only.


Pain ripped through her again causing Tonks to cry out. It was a long time before the pain subsided to a dull throb. Her breathing was heavy as she tried to relax, but nothing she did made her comfortable. Her whole body ached and screamed in fatigue. Suddenly another contraction hit, and Tonks grabbed the side of the bed as she road the waves of agony. “IT’S COMING!” she screamed to Molly who was entering the room.


“Oh dear, I’ll go get the Healer,” Molly replied as she hastily left the room.



***




Snuggled in front of the Godric Hollow’s living room fireplace, Harry and Ginny had talked most of the night away. The clock on the mantle was set at a quarter after three before their eyelids became so heavy they would not remain open. Silence embraced them both as they huddled even closer together. Suddenly, the fire’s warm golden glow changed to a bright green, disturbing the sleeping couple.


“Hello?” a voice rang out jolting Harry awake.


“Yeah, what’s wrong?” he replied sitting up, wiping the sleep from his eyes.


“It’s Tonks. She’s gone into labor. She’s been rushed to St. Mungo’s. Ginny wanted to know when it happened,” the voice of Hermione came from the green flames.


“I’m coming, I’m coming,” Ginny groaned as she sat up.


“Well, you better hurry because from the looks of things this baby is in a hurry to get here.”
Hermione’s face disappeared and the green flames melted back to the calming gold.


Ginny went to put on her shoes and coat, “It’s too bad you can’t come as well. I know Tonks would love to have you there.”


“Maybe I can. Wait here,” Harry jumped up and ran upstairs. Moments later he came back into the living room carrying his Invisibility Cloak.


“I don’t think that is such a great idea. What if you get caught?” Ginny gave him a stern look.


“I won’t. I have this,” he smiled broadly.


“Harry-”


“Ginny, please. I’ve spent the last month stuck in this house. I need a break, so please don’t argue with me on this.” He pulled Ginny towards the front door, “Come on. We better go.”



***




“One more time, Tonks. Push!”


She was so tired and worn out. Did she really have to push again? But she knew she had to, just one more time. Tonks took a deep breath and gave all she had. Thoroughly exhausted she collapsed onto her pillow. The sounds of a screaming baby met her ears.


“Congratulation! You’re the mother of a health baby boy.”


Tears of joy streamed down her face as she took the little bundle the Healer handed her. The first thing she saw was tiny little fist that flailed furiously in the air. She gently cuddled the newborn to her chest and rocked him.


“Shhh, little one. Everything is all right. I’m here, your momma is right here.”


The screaming child began to quiet down, and his large eyes looked into her hers. Tonks’s breath was taken away by what she saw there. It was as if Remus was looking back at her in those deep dark eyes. Her heart did a flip at the sight. It was then that she knew that everything really was going to be all right. Even though Remus was gone, he would live on through their son.



***




“I still don’t think this was a good idea,” Ginny whispered to thin air.


“Oh, come on. We got to see Remus Jr., and I got out of that house for a while. It was worth it in my opinion,” a voice answered her.


“I still don’t like it,” she replied back. “Let’s just get back to Godric’s Hollow before anyone sees you.”


“Fine by me.”


Ginny walked down the hospital halls to the front entrance. The place was busy with people as she and her invisible friend walked through the large hospital doors. Halfway down the steps Ginny heard a gasp coming from her side. The sound had come from a woman escorting an elderly man up the stairs, and she was staring in Ginny’s direction. She turned to see Harry’s head floating in mid air.


“Harry, quick cover your head!” Ginny panicked. “What possessed you to do that anyways?”


“I tripped on the steps,” Harry said as he pulled the cloak back over him.


“Well, let’s just hope she was the only one to see you,” Ginny looked around quickly to see if she was correct, but no one else seemed to be in sight. “I think we’re in the clear.”


“Great let’s get going-”


Ginny froze as she saw a hand come from behind her and pull on Harry’s cloak, leaving her companion exposed for all to see, “Harry Potter, you are under arrest.”