Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Broken Soul by silverfox

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Things heat up at the Burrow when secrets are reveales and a unexpected person comes for a visit.



Dear Harry,



If you’re receiving this note, I have not yet returned from my mission. I’m sorry to have missed your birthday. I really wanted to be there for you, especially, seeing as this one you become a man. I still remember the day your parents brought you home from the hospital. You were so tiny and fragile.



I know that your parents and Sirius would be very proud of the man you are becoming. You have been through so much, in the few short years you’ve been alive. More than any person should have to go through. You have persevered through it all, but unfortunately it is not over. I know that whatever happens, you will rise to the challenge and meet it head on, with out hesitation. I just hope, the book, I am sending with this letter, will help in this endeavor.



Remember, you are not alone, and there are people out there, who care for you a great deal. I know I speak for her, when I say that Tonks and I both are two of those people. So please, let us know if there is anything we can do for you.



You’re Friend,


Remus Lupin



P.S. I thought you might want to pay your parents old place a visit. They lived at 436 Old Leary Road, Godric’s Hollow. Good luck.




Harry rested against his trunk on the floor, which lay open near the foot of his bed. In his hand, was the letter Remus had given him for his birthday, along with a new defense book Advance Defense for a Skilled Wizard. Tonks had given it to him at the party, in Remus’ absence. Harry had read the letter many times since then, but it was the post script that interested him the most. He now sat soaking in each number and letter of the address, where he and his parents had lived happily, even if it was for a short while. A wave of sadness washed over him, as he thought of the life with his parents he never had a chance to know.



Harry wanted and needed to visit his parent’s home, but was hesitant about it. He knew that going there would be painful, and wasn’t sure if he was ready for that. He had felt so sure about going there a few short weeks ago. Now he felt uncertain. No, he’d go and soon. It had to be done, and he wanted to use the house as his new home and head quarters. If this was ever to happen, he would have to face it, and the sooner the better.



The bedroom door shot open. Startled, Harry looked up to see his friend enter the room. “Hey mate, you coming, or what? Mum wants us to hurry and eat breakfast, so we can help with the stupid wedding preparations.” Ron did a belly flop onto his bed and grabbed his pillow. He fluffed it up and settled his bright red head in the center of it. “I for one, will be glad when the thing is over. If I have to help decorate one more object in pink and white ribbons, I think I’ll puke all over the place. Why do girls insist on all those dumb decorations anyways? Why can’t you just put out some chairs, have a quick ceremony, and then feed everyone buffet style? It sure would save a lot of hassle. I also might be able to get back to playing chess and sleeping in late.”



Harry laughed at Ron. “When did your mum ever let you sleep in late, on purpose?”



“Good point.” Ron rolled onto his back and sighed, “Oh well, I can dream can’t I.”



“Yeah, sure,” Harry snorted.



Ron pulled his pillow from beneath his head and threw it at his friend.



Harry ducked, as it barreled toward him. The pillow hit the wall behind him with a soft smack and fell to the floor. “Hey, what was that for?”



“For destroying the dream.” Ron grinned. The grin slowly left his face as he sat up on his bed and began fidgeting with the bed linen. A few moments passed before he spoke again, “I know it’s really none of my business but…”



Harry looked over Ron, wondering what was on his roommate’s mind. “But what?”



“I…I really think you should talk to Ginny.”



Harry tensed up, at the mention of her name. “What? Why?”



“Urrr… well… because she hasn’t really been herself ,since coming back from Hogwarts. I think she might be upset or… something.”



Harry frowned, as he sat up straight, “Upset, about what?”



Ron shrugged, not sure how to continue, “I don’t know.”



“What makes you think she’s upset about anything?”



“I don’t know. Hermione…”



“So, has Hermione put you up to this?”



Ron sighed, “Look, will you just talk to her.”



“Why should I?”



“Because… Hermione thinks Ginny’s upset about the break up.” Ron blurted out.



Harry sighed heavily and closed his eyes, “I thought I made things perfectly clear to her at Dumbledore’s funeral about that.”



“Just talk to her. Alright? I don’t like seeing my baby sister upset.”



“I’ll think about it.”



“Fine. Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m starving. See you down stairs.” Ron propelled himself from the bed and dashed out the door before Harry could say anything else.



Harry remained where he was, thinking about what Ron had said. Was Ginny upset at him? Come to think of it, she hadn’t said more than a few words to him since he arrived, but under the circumstances he didn’t think that unusual. Why would she be mad about the break up? He thought she had understood. Girls, they didn’t make much sense sometimes.



Harry’s stomach rumbled. From the sounds things, he could use some breakfast too. He set his book back in the trunk and walked over to the nightstand. He picked up the locket he and Dumbledore had found in the cave. He always kept it with him, as a reminder of what still needed to be done: the locket… the cup… the snake…something of Gryffindor’s or Ravenclaw’s. He stood looking at it, for a moment anger surging through him like bolts of lightning. Harry shook it off and placed the fake Horcrux in his pocket. He swiftly turned and followed after Ron, trying not to think about the mission or Ginny.



Before Harry even reached the kitchen, his nose was assaulted by an onslaught of delicious smells. Sure enough, when he entered the room, a large spread of breakfast foods graced the large kitchen table.



As soon as Mrs. Weasley spotted Harry, she swept him over to a chair at the table and set a large helping of bacon and eggs in front of him. “Eat up everyone. We have a lot to get done today. As soon as all of you are done with breakfast, I want you to help Bill set up the tents in the back yard. He’s already out there trying to get an early start. Fleur’s been worried that everything won’t get done in time.”



Harry sat down and poured himself a glass of pumpkin juice. He dug into his breakfast with a hearty appetite.



“Good morning Harry.” Harry looked up to see Mr. Weasley in his usual spot at the head of the table grinning at him.



“Good morning, Mr. Weasley.” Harry grinned back.



“Arthur, Harry, please”



“Sorry, Good morning, Arthur.”



“Oh, Harry, I almost forgot. This came for you this morning. It looks like your book list for school. Ron and Hermione, you both got one as well.” Mrs. Weasley slipped an envelope next to Harry’s plate.



Harry’s brow furrowed, “So they aren’t closing Hogwarts?”



“No. The board of directors made an official announcement in the Daily Prophet yesterday. It said that the school will remain open for any student who wishes to return. Professor McGonagall was appointed as the new Headmistress as well, but we all knew that was going to happen. Thank Merlin. It would be a terrible crime for you children not to finish your education. You’re all so close to finishing, too.”



Ron’s fork stopped in mid air and his pale skin became even paler. He had not yet told his parents, that he wouldn’t be returning to school. He had hoped it would be canceled and wouldn’t have to. In an effort to appear normal, he continued to eat, but with more gusto than usual.



Mrs. Weasley saw this and scolded him, “Slow down Ron! You don’t have to inhale your food. Really!”



Two snickers came from the far end of the table. It had been the first time Harry realized that Fred and George were at the table. Ginny was there as well. Her nose was buried deep in the Daily Prophet, seemly oblivious to what was going on around her. Harry let his gaze stop for a moment on her. He quickly looked away, when Ginny glanced up from the paper. He picked up the letter Mrs. Weasley had given him, and opened it.



She had been right. It was his book list from Hogwarts. As Harry unfolded the letter, a piece of parchment dropped into his lap. Curious Harry picked it up and read it…




Mr. Potter,



I know that you had expressed to me earlier this summer that you would not be returning to Hogwarts for your seventh and final year. I realize that you have other commitments, but your commitment to your education is just as important. Even though you have proven yourself as a gifted young wizard, there are things still to learn. Hogwarts can teach you those things. I urge you to reconsider your decision and hope to have you as my student once again.


Headmistress


Minerva McGonagall




Harry had been expecting a letter like this. He had sent the professor a letter, when he had arrived at Privet Drive. He wanted to let McGonagall know that, even if they decided to keep Hogwarts open, he would not be returning. She was right though about him still lacking the proper education. That’s why he was planning his own training sessions. It was the best he could do under the circumstances. He really didn’t think Hogwarts had anything of value left to teach him, and it just wouldn’t be the same without Dumbledore.



Harry’s thoughts were interrupted by Mrs. Weasley, “I was thinking that we all could make a trip to Diagon Alley next week and pick up your school things, then.”



Harry, Hermione and Ron all exchanged worried glances. They all knew that this moment would come. The latter started to speak, “Huh… Mum there is something I’ve been meaning to tell you. I ah… well you see…” but Ron was unable to finish.



Harry could see that Ron was having difficulty. So he blurted out, “We won’t need to go to Diagon Alley to get our school supplies, since we won’t be returning to Hogwarts.”



Movement ceased in the tiny room in shock, at what Harry had said. All eyes turned to a rather red faced woman. They were waiting to see her reaction to Harry’s outburst. Seconds passed by like hours, until the silence was finally broken by Mrs. Weasley, ‘What do you mean you won’t be returning to school? And who is we?”



Very slowly, Ron and Hermione both raised their hands. An apologetic grin plastered on they’re faces.



“What is the meaning of this? You three are going back to school! How can you not finish your education? What’s more important than that?”



Harry looked at the enraged woman. He did not want to anger her further, but he wanted her to understand the importance of what he was doing. “We’re going find a way to stop this war.”



As expected, she didn’t take his news too well, “You three are too young and inexperienced to be off fighting in this war, at least wait until you graduate! You know the rules. You can’t join the Order. You’re too young.”



“We weren’t planning on joining the Order. We will be doing our own thing. We have a mission to complete.” Harry explained quietly.



“What? No, absolutely not! I forbid it. You’re all going back to school and that’s final!”



“Molly, they are of age. We can’t stop them if they want to do this.” interrupted Mr. Weasley.



She looked at her husband in disbelief, “Arthur, I can’t believe you’re condoning this. You of all people know how important an education is.”



“Yes Molly, I do, but it should be for the individual to decide that for themselves. They aren’t stupid, Molly. They know all of this. If they aren’t returning to school, then they must have a good reason, especially since Hermione is in agreement. We should respect their wishes. They are of age and can do whatever they want, regardless of how we feel.”



She was horrified at what her husband said. She practically shook with rage. “Fine, Harry Hermione, do what you want, but you, young man, are going back to school.” She said this to her youngest son, as she pointed her finger at him.



Ron flinched, but calmly confronted her, surprising everyone, “No mum, I’m not going back. I’m going with Harry. He needs my help.”



If she was shocked at her husband’s reaction, she was doubly so, by her son’s. It was too much for the woman and she broke down in tears. Mr. Weasley went to her side and put his arm around her in an effort to comfort her.



“Molly, it will be alright. They can take care of themselves.”



She pulled herself away from her husband and slowly sad down in her seat, without a word to anyone. The kitchen remained deathly quiet, except for the occasional sniffle from Mrs. Weasley.



Mr. Weasley was the first one to speak, “If you don’t mind me asking, what are the three of you planning on doing?”



“Yeah, plan on running off and fighting some Death Eaters on your own?” Fred asked.



“Because if you are, count us in.” George finished.



“Count me in, too.” Ginny piped up, forgetting about the paper in front of her.



Mrs. Weasley still didn’t say a word, but she pursed her lips in obvious disagreement.



Harry saw this and replied, “I appreciate all of your offers, but for now I’d like to keep things the way they are, with just us three.”



Ginny looked like she was getting angry and going to say something, but Harry cut her off before she could, “But who’s to say we won’t need help some time down the road.”



“I still want to come.” Ginny glared at Harry.



“Ginny, Ron might be of age, but you’re not. You’re going back to school and that is final.” Mr. Weasley said firmly.



Ginny glared at her father but ended up nodding her head and muttering, “Yes, Dad.”



“Just say the word, mate.” said Fred.



“And we’ll be with you.” concluded George.



“Thanks.” Harry replied. He really did appreciate their willingness to help, but he couldn’t endanger anyone else. He also quietly thanked Mr. Weasley for putting his foot down with Ginny. He knew how head strong she could be about things. He knew that Ginny would want to come with him on his journey and that was something he just couldn’t allow. She would be a distraction and he didn’t want to see her hurt. He looked down at his plate, in an effort to avoid the daggers Ginny was now shooting at him from across the table.



“You haven’t answered my question Harry.” asked Mr. Weasley.



Harry looked across the table at Hermione. She nodded her head. “I can’t tell you everything, Arthur. I can tell you however, that as soon as Bill and Fleur’s wedding is over, Ron, Hermione, and myself are going to Godric’s Hollow. We will be staying there during our search.”



“What search?” he asked curiously.



“I’m sorry, but I can’t say.”



“But what about your education?” asked Mrs. Weasley, not being able to remain silent any longer.


Her husband shot her a warning look from the head of the table.



Hermoine answered the question, “We still plan on keeping up with some studies, defense mostly. We have already planned most of what we’ll be going over.”



“Well, maybe you three should come by Grimmald Place. Have a talk with some of the Order members.” Mr. Weasley suggested politely.



“I appreciate your help and concern, but it isn’t necessary. I know what I’m doing. Dumbledore made it very clear to me, before he died, what I must do.” Harry stated.



Mr. Weasley sighed, “I understand, but you’re still young and maybe you can benefit from the experience of others.”



Harry knew that he would not be able to leave the table, without compromising something. “I’ll think about it.”



“That’s all I ask.” Mr. Weasley replied, pleased that he at least gotten somewhere with the stubborn lad.



Tension gripped everyone in the room, as they resumed their breakfast. Hermione picked up the Daily Prophet Ginny had discarded and started to glance through it. After a few moments, without thinking Ron asked his usually question, “Anyone else we know die?”



Hermione was about to say something, when she got a very serious look on her face. She finally looked up from the paper looking slightly ill. “Actually… yes, and you won’t believe who.” She handed the paper across the table to Harry.



Harry took the paper, started to scan it, and went white as a sheet at what he saw. His mind tried to comprehend what had happened. Another death had occurred because of him. Harry set the paper aside, and put his head on his hands. When would this nightmare stop?



“What’s wrong? Who is it this time?” asked Ron. He grabbed the paper Harry had set aside. It took a moment but he found what he was looking for.



“Uh oh, this means trouble doesn’t it?” Ron was starting to look ill, himself.



“It means that Voldemort knows.” Hermione answered.



Ron looked at Harry, “How can we be sure? Maybe it’s a coincidence.”



“Oh, he knows you can be sure of that. It’s no coincidence.” Harry said, with a long drawn out sigh.



“Who knows what?” Ginny asked perplexed, looking between Harry, Hermione, and Ron, hoping one of them would answer her question.



Harry ignored Ginny’s question, got up from the table and started to pace the kitchen. Hermione’s response was to hand the paper to Ginny, with a funny look on her face. “I thought you already read the paper. It can’t be more obvious, since the article is right on the front page.”



Ginny took the paper her ears turning a dark shade of red that almost matched her hair and she began to skim the paper.



Fred and George were throwing her curious glances, wondering if their sister had lost it. Fred, who was closest to Ginny, attempted to snatch the paper from her hands, but she pulled away just in time.



“Either read it out loud or pass it on.” Fred replied.



“Or can’t you read this morning?” George finished.



“I can read just fine.” Ginny stated indignantly.



“Well, you sure haven’t proved it.” George commented.



Ginny’s embarrassment quickly turned into anger, “Look here you…”



Fred lunged for the paper again while George had her distracted. This time he succeeded. He let out a triumphant yell and proceeded to read the article to himself.



“Out loud if you please.” George said, as he rolled his eyes.



Fred began reading it out loud.






Hogwarts Professor found dead, will it affect the Opening of the School?



Earlier today, Ministry Aurors found the body of one Sybil Trelawney, the Divination professor from Hogwarts. The professor was reported missing a few days ago, when she failed to show for a yearly mandatory staff meeting. Concerned, the new Headmistress, Minerva McGonagall, went to her quarters at the school, to see why the professor had missed the meeting. All that the Headmistress found was a letter of resignation from the Seer. There is no telling how long the Seer had been gone since the note was not been dated.



Professor Trelawney had not been seen since Professor Dumbledore’s death (the former Headmaster). This, of course was not unusual, since she normally kept to herself. What was unusual was the manner of her resignation, since it is customary to present a letter of resignation to the Headmaster (or in this case Headmistress) in person. No one is sure of the Seer’s reasons for leaving in such a way. This reporter has it on good authority, however, that the Seer had been planning to resign for some time now.



Regardless of her reasons for leaving the school, it appears that once she left she happened upon a bad sort and found herself quite dead. Her body was found late yesterday afternoon outside of Little Hangleton. The authorities are unsure how long she has been dead. They are sure, however, that the professor was in fact an unfortunate victim of the Killing Curse. They also say that she showed some signs of prolonged torture. The question arising. Why anyone would want to kill, let alone torture this introverted seer? In these times of crisis, it appears that one does not need a reason to attack the innocent. Authorities are suspecting she is yet another victim of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and his Death Eaters.



It had been confirmed mere days before, that the board of directors would not close the school after its Headmaster’s death. There has been no official word yet, on whether or not, the untimely death of yet another Hogwarts professor will prompt another look at closing the school. Headmistress McGonagall assures this reporter that no such action will take place unless it is deemed absolutely necessary. She goes on to say, that Hogwarts is still one of the safest places to be in these troubled times.




The room was quiet, as Fred finished reading the article out loud. Harry continued to pace the floor his mind racing. “He knows. He knows the whole prophecy, now,” not knowing that he was saying it out loud.



“What do you mean, Harry?” asked a perplexed Fred. “Who knows about what prophecy?”



Harry ignored Fred and continued to sit quietly. Hermione was the one to answer him, “Voldemort, he knows the full prophecy.”



“How do you figure that?” asked Mr. Weasley, a bit taken back by this revelation.



Hermione sighed and turned to Harry. “Harry, I think you should tell them. It’s not like it matters anymore, since he already knows.”



Harry finally stopped pacing, and turned around to look at his friend. He was slow to respond. “I suppose you are right. I just thought I would have a little more time, but it seems like I’m not going to get much of that. We’re so far away from completing the tasks. What if he comes for me and I’m not ready, Hermione?”



Hermione stood up went over to Harry’s side, and gently put her hand on his shoulder. “Don’t worry. We’ll figure something out. We always do.”



“Yeah, Harry,” Ron said. “We will figure this out. Things will come together you’ll see. I mean we already have several leads.”



Harry became agitated, and started to pace again pulling away from Hermione, “Leads! What good are leads going to do us, if they don’t go anywhere! No! We need hard, cold results, which means we need to stop wasting our time with unimportant stuff and get to work!”



“Calm down, Harry. We are not disagreeing with you at all, but look at the facts. Dumbledore has been searching for years, to do what you’re trying to do in a short period of time. He was only able to get one done successfully. You can’t expect this to go any quicker than it already is,” Hermione soothed.



“I understand that, Hermione, but let’s face it. I may not have years. I might not even have months. This has to be finished and the quicker the better. Look guys, I know you said you’d help, but maybe I should just continue this on my own. It’s just too dangerous.”



“The hell you will!” yelled Ron. “You just said this has to be done quickly. The more people you have working on this the quicker it will be done.”



“I have to agree with Ron on this, Harry. You need us, whether you realize it or not. We are not going anywhere and we will all see this through to the end.”



“Will someone please tell us what’s going on!” interrupted a very exasperated Mrs. Wealsey.


“Yes, do tell,” Ginny spoke, wearing a concerned frown on her face.



Harry let out a heavy sigh, and sat back down at the kitchen table. He braced himself, before telling his story. He couldn’t tell them everything, but he could at least fill them in on some things, after all these people were the only family he had ever really known. It was only fair that they knew what was about to come.



“All of you know about the incident at the Ministry at the end of my fifth year.” Harry stopped, and looked around the room slowly, looking at each person in turn. He saw most of the heads shake at this comment. He then continued, “Well, it seems that even though the prophecy broke, it was not completely lost. A prophecy is not totally lost if the one who made the prophecy and the one who heard the prophecy can be found. I happened to know both of these people, though I did not know it at the time. It was Professor Trelawney who made the prophecy and Professor Dumbledore who heard it.”



Harry could see that several people were about to say something, but Harry put up his hand, “Look I know you have questions, but please let me finish. This is hard enough as it is.”



Harry waited a few seconds, to make sure no one would interrupt him and then he continued with his story. “Dumbledore took me into his office, after that whole fiasco at the Ministry and told me a few things. One of things he told me was the full contents of the prophecy.”



“So, what did it say?” asked George.



Harry closed his eyes. He could hear the words of the prophecy clearly ringing through his head. “Basically it stated that a child would be born near the end of July the following year, and he would have the power to defeat Voldemort.” Harry hesitated a moment before continuing, “It also said, that neither could survive while the other lives. Either he kills me or I kill him.”



A shocked silence gripped the room. Mrs. Weasley started crying again.



“So, the Daily Prophet was right. You are the chosen one.” Fred stated in awe.



“Yeah, I guess.” Harry shrugged. “Now, do you understand why it is important for me to leave and find a way to end this? It’s more important, now than ever. Now Voldemort knows, and he won’t stop until he finds me. At least at Godric’s Hollow, I’ll be somewhere he won’t find me.”



“But, Harry,it was your parent’s home and he’ll think to look there.” Mr. Weasley said concerned.



“Yes, I know he’ll look for me there, but he won’t find me.”



“I don’t understand?”



“The Fidelius Charm. Right Harry? That is what you had in mind?” Hermione asked.



“Yes, that’s exactly what I had in mind.”



“So what…” George was interrupted by a knock on the kitchen door.



“Hold that thought,” Mr. Weasley said as he got up from the table. He opened the door and stood there, gazing at the person standing on the front stoop. A gasp came from Mrs. Weasley, as she saw the person standing in front of her husband. Harry looked up to see what the fuss was about, and was taken back at who it was.