Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Broken Soul by silverfox

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: An unexpected visitor causes tempers to flare in the Weasley household. Can old grudges be forgiven?
The sound of chirping birds washed through the house from the open door. A leaky faucet in the kitchen, tapped out a steady tempo into the porcelain sink. A fly buzzed around a forgotten plate of biscuits. Still no one spoke. Every eye, however, was trained on the nervous young man standing in doorway.


Mr. Weasley finally broke the heavy silence, “What do you want?”


“Hello, Dad. Can I come in?” Percy asked timidly.


Harry tensed, remembering Percy’s last visit. Mr. Weasley must have been thinking the same thing, because he just stood there not saying a word or moving.


“Are you alone?” he finally asked his son.


Percy looked down at his feet, a defeated look about him and answered, “Yes.”


Harry couldn’t believe it. The man standing in the doorway looked like Percy Weasley, but he wasn’t acting like him. It was a far cry from how he was acting the last time Harry had seen him, at Dumbledore’s funeral. Harry also remembered the last time Percy tried to visit the Weasley family, which was disastrous at best. Harry wondered what could have brought on such a sudden change. The same thought, that he was sure was running through everyone else’s head at that moment. Most of them, however, probably didn’t even care if he had changed. The damage had already been done. The paralyzing shock and disbelief that had gripped the room, suddenly turned into a surge of outrage and anger.


Ron shook visibly, as he stood up and pointed his finger at his older brother. “You have a lot of nerve showing your cowardly face around here!” he bellowed. “What makes you think you’re even welcomed in this house? After everything, you think you can waltz in here like nothing happened!”


“Yeah, you’d think after last year’s little scene you’d have enough sense to stay clear of this place.” Fred said, as he crossed his arms.


Percy winched visibly, knowing the worst was yet to come, “Look, I know I’ve acted like a prat but…”


“Prat, that’s putting it mildly,” Ginny said, as her eyes flashed with anger. “More like a world class jerk.”


“You should leave now, Percy, before you regret coming here,” George growled, as he too stood up, looking ready to fight.


“That’s enough!” Mrs. Weasley yelled loudly. Everyone looked at her, taken aback by her furious tone. “Percy came here on his own free will, and he has something to say. Even after everything he has done, he is still family, and we should hear him out. Arthur, let him in and close the door. You’re letting the flies in.”


Mr. Weasley reluctantly stepped aside, to let his son pass. He closed the door and spoke, “Why are you here?”


“If you’re here to get that stupid Minister to corner Harry again, you might as well turn around and leave right now,” Ron blurted out, before Percy could answer.


“Ron, its okay. It really wasn’t that big of a deal,” Harry tried to console, but Ron wouldn’t have any of it.


“No, Harry, it’s not alright. He has no right to come in here and use us to get to you. It’s dirty and low, just the kind of thing he would do to boost his precious stupid career.” Ron walked up to Percy and stood several inches from him. “If you’re really sincere about being here, then I demand an apology to Harry, and the rest of us.”


“Here, here!” Ginny, George and Fred chorused.


Percy looked down at his feet and fidgeted with something in his pocket. The room was silent, waiting for Percy to speak. After a few moments, he slowly lifted his head and looked in Harry’s direction, but not right at him. Percy spoke quietly, ”Ron’s right, I do owe all of you an apology, especially you, Harry. It was wrong of me to corner you in such a way. I know there really is no excuse for it, but you have to understand I really didn’t have much of a choice in the matter.”


“Yeah, you did. You could have told the git no, or sent us a warning or something.” Fred replied angrily.


Percy looked back down at his feet. “Your right, I could have handled the situation better. I’m sorry, Harry, and I’m sorry to the rest of you. I know I can’t expect a warm welcome after everything, but was hoping you would give me a second chance. I’ve missed you guys and I heard that Bill was getting married and I… I don’t know… I just wanted … I just want things to be like they use to be.”


“Fat chance of that ever happening, you git,” Ginny replied through clenched teeth.


Fred wasn’t buying Percy’s act either, “I don’t believe you. I think your lying.”


Percy looked taken back by Fred’s comment, like he had been genuinely hurt. “Why would I lie about missing my family? Contrary to what you all might think, I do still care for you all.”


This time George replied, “You know what I think, Percy? I think you’re a lying prat looking to further your stupid career like Ron said. This is just another ploy of yours, to do just that. If you had cared so much before, then why did you treat us like some worn out shoe?” he asked venomously.


“Yeah, how do we know your telling the truth? How do we know this isn’t just a way for you to spy on us? It seems to me that you have awfully good timing?” Ron asked suspiciously.


Percy’s nervousness quickly turned into anger, at his younger brother’s comment. ”I don’t understand. You think I was sent here as a spy? Who am I suppose to be spying on? You, Ron?”


“Enough!” Mrs. Weasley yelled. “He said he was sorry and I believe him,” she rushed up to her wayward son and embraced him warmly. Tears flowed freely down her cheeks. After a few moments, she stepped back and looked up into her son’s brown eyes. “Percy, you are my son, and I love you no matter what you’ve done.” She then turned to look at everyone else in the room, a reproachful look on her face, “Percy has come back to us and he’s sorry for what he’s done. These have been a very troubled times for us all. I know we have each done things to each other we now regret, but no matter what happens, we are all still family. I know it will be hard for some of you, but we should welcome him with open arms.”


“But Mum…” Ron started to say, but was cut off by his mother with a sharp look. Ron fumed, but remained silent.


“Arthur, please prepare a place for Percy to sit,” Mrs. Weasley said, as she pulled her son toward the table.


“No mum, if they don’t want me around I can leave. I’d understand. I really was a git.” Percy told his mother.


“No. You’re not going anywhere, Percy. You’re staying and that’s final. Now sit down, you must be hungry.”


Percy looked at his mother in disbelief. He then looked around the kitchen. His gaze was met with hostile glares from his siblings and a guarded look from his father. He hesitated a moment, but sat down.


This was too much for Fred and George. They both backed away from the table, still glaring at their brother, “If you don’t mind,” George said.


“I think we’ve lost our appetites,” Fred finished, as he and his twin walked out the door closing it behind them, with a rather loud bang.


Attempting to lighten the mood, Percy remarked with an unconvincing laugh, “I see Fred and George are still attached at the hip as always.”


This earned him a stony silence. Percy looked down at his plate, trying to avoid the now very uncomfortable glares still coming from Ron and Ginny.


Mr. Wealsey looked at his son from the head of the table and started to speak, a grim look on his face. “Percy, your mother might accept you back with open arms and that’s fine. It’s her right as your mother. But you still have a lot to prove to this family, apology or not. That is if you really are sincere and want to come back. But I’m warning you, son. If you mess with this family again…”


“Arthur!” his wife hissed.


“No, Molly. Percy must learn that there are consequences to his actions. What he did to all of us was wrong and irresponsible.”


“But he’s family, Arthur. He was wrong, yes. He even admitted to it. Isn’t that enough? He didn’t have to come back here, you know.”


“I know. That’s what concerns me.”


“What are you saying, Arthur?” his wife asked.


He looked at Percy sizing him up, “Do you still work for the Ministry, for Minister Scrimgeour?”
“Arthur really, that is quite enough!”


“Molly, please,” Mr. Weasley fixed his gaze on his son. “Percy, I asked you a question. Are you still working for the Ministry?”


“Yes… but then so are you.” Percy whispered, as he fumbled with his silverware.


“Yes, I am, but I never put my career before my family. How do we know you won’t again?”


“Dad, I… I know there is no way you’ll believe me, but I’ve changed,” pleaded Percy.


“Changed? Changed how?” Mr. Weasley asked.


Percy let out a long drawn out sigh and answered his father. “I’m still working for the Minister, but I promise I won’t let it get in the way of my family again.”


“You didn’t answer Dad’s question. Why the sudden change?” Ron demanded.


“I told you. It wasn’t sudden. I’ve been feeling… well a little guilty, for the way I’ve been acting, and I just wanted to make up for it. So many bad things have been happening lately. It made me realize that if we don’t have family or people who love us, what else is there?”


“Oh, Perc!” Mrs. Weasley jumped up from her seat and ran over to her son, engulfing him in another hug. She pulled away and looked over to her husband. “See, Arthur. He is sorry and wants to make up for it.” She turned back to her son pulling him close to again, “and we’re sorry too, Percy. We all miss you and love you so much.”


“Thanks, mum.” Percy’s voice was muffled in his mother’s embrace. “That means a lot to me.”


“Don’t worry about the others, I’m sure they’ll all come around, once they realize how sorry you are,” his mother soothed, as she pulled away from him.


Ginny could no longer sit quietly, “I don’t care what you say. What you did hurt all of us a lot. I said it once and I’ll say it again, fat chance!” She turned around and ran upstairs.


Harry watched her go. He wanted to run up after her and comfort her. He could see the pain she was in from her brother’s visit, but he couldn’t allow himself to do that. He forced himself to stay in his seat and watch the family drama continue to unfold.


“I’m with Ginny on this. You can say whatever you want, Percy, but I still think you’re a fraud. Let’s go, Hermione, Harry. We have more important things to do than sit around here listening to this bloody git.” Ron got up from the table and started to head upstairs after his sister.


He was stopped by his mother, “Where do you think your going? You’re supposed to help your brother with the tents like I asked.”


“But, mum…”


“Don’t but me. We only have another day before your brother’s wedding and it will take all the help we can get to be ready in time.”


Ron looked dejected, but turned around and headed for the door leading outside. He looked back over his shoulder, “Are you two coming or what?”


Hermione and Harry got up, politely excused themselves, and went to join Ron at the door.
Harry was stopped by Mrs. Weasley, “Harry dear,” she said sweetly, “you don’t have to help if you don’t want too. I know you have a lot going on right now.”


“No, it’s all right. I don’t mind helping out. Really,” Harry reassured her.


“But what about… “


Harry interrupted her before she could finish, “It’s alright, Molly. I think I can put off my mission until after the wedding. To tell you the truth, I’ve been looking forward to it. It will give us all a chance to have a little fun before… Well you know.”


Tears sparkled in Mrs. Weasley’s eye, as she rushed up and pulled Harry into a hug. “Oh, you’re so brave, you poor boy. If there is anything I can do for you, just let me know.” She continued to hug Harry, squeezing him even tighter, nearly cutting off his circulation.


Harry stood quietly patting her back and looking at Ron with a pleading look.


Ron rolled his eyes and muttered something under his breath about “Mum and her bloody hugs.”


He then came to his friend’s rescue. “Mum, I think Harry’s got the picture. You can let him go now. You’ll crush the life out of him before Voldemort even gets a chance to try”


“Ron!” Hermione gasped and slapped him hard on the shoulder.


“Ouch! What was that for?” he asked, with a pained expression on his face.


“For being a tactless prat.” she scolded. “I can’t believe you said that.”


Mrs. Weasley let Harry go and turned to her youngest son a reproachful look on her face, “Ron, what kind of thing is that to say?”


“Sorry… I didn’t mean…”


Hermione grabbed Ron’s arm and maneuvered him toward the door. “No Ron, you never mean anything you say. Now, let’s go before you stick your foot any further down your throat.”


Harry just stood where Mrs. Weasley had released him grinning, “Really guys it’s okay. I don’t see what the big deal is. He didn’t say anything that isn’t true.”


“Why would Voldemort want Harry dead?” Percy asked curiously from the table.


“Percy! Not you, too. Run along you three. Right this minute.” as Mrs. Weasley tried to push the three friends outside in one push.


Anger stopped Ron in his tracks, as he shot his brother a dirty look, “Where have you been? When did Voldemort not want Harry dead?” Ron slapped himself on the forehead and continued in a tone dripping with sarcasm, “Oh, that’s right! You haven’t been around.”


“It was just a question,” Percy shrugged.


“Well, it was a stupid question, or didn’t you hear Harry is the Chosen One.”


Percy laughed, “Oh, that’s just a publicity stunt the Ministry spun to appease the public. No offense, Harry.”


Harry shrugged, “None taken. I figured as much anyhow. It’s not like I care what people think. Though, I do mind becoming an unwilling poster boy.”


Ron ignored Harry and continued anger seething through him. “But it’s true, Percy. Harry is the Chosen One. It seems the publicity stunt you fed the Daily Prophet was right for once, even if it was completely by accident. How’s that for politics?” he scoffed.


“Ron, that’s enough. Your mom’s right. I think you should go help Bill,” Harry sent Ron a warning glance.


Ron looked at Harry in disbelief, but before he could say anything, Hermione pulled him out the door.


Harry turned to Percy, who had a strange look on his face. “Percy, I know it’s none of my business, but I really hope you came back for all the right reasons. You’re lucky to have such a wonderful family. Take it from someone who has very little family, and the little I have, I wish I didn’t. So I hope you can work things out. As for you and me, I have no ill will towards you. You did what you had to. I understand that. I just hope we can be friends like we once were. But I do have to ask you one thing.”


Percy, who had been reluctant to look at Harry, since walking in the door finally did so, “What’s that?”


Harry met his gaze and held it. “I want nothing to do with the Ministry. I don’t agree with how they are handling things with the war, among other things. I already made that very clear to your boss on several occasions. You need to understand this as well. So you would be wise not to try and change my mind or give Scrimgeour any more chance encounters. You’ll be wasting your time and sorely testing my patience. Do you understand?”


“Yes, I understand,” Percy replied solemnly.


“Good. Well, I have to go upstairs to get something. I’ll join the others shortly,” Harry walked passed a speechless Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and headed up the stairs to his room.


Harry climbed the stairs, but instead of ending up outside his bedroom door, he found himself standing outside of Ginny’s. Soft muffles of what sounded like crying, which coming from the other side drew him to the door. Harry stood there for a moment, battling with himself trying to decide on whether to knock or not, but the decision was quickly taken away from him.


“Are you going to knock or stand there all day?” asked a voice from behind him.


Harry cringed, because he knew Ginny could hear the voice too. His suspicions were confirmed, when the muffled crying from behind the door stopped. He heard a soft thud and footsteps. The footsteps were getting closer to the door. Harry started to panic. He had to get out of here and fast. Whirling around, Harry confronted the person behind him, who he knew to be Hermione. “Oh, there you are. I was just looking for you. I thought we were going to help put those tents up.”


Hermione looked at Harry and smirked. She knew full well what he had been doing. “I was on my way to help, or didn’t you see me walk out the front door with Ron a few minutes ago?” She cocked an eyebrow at him waiting for his response.


Harry could tell Hermione wasn’t going to make this easy. “Yeah well… I err… I… so are you coming or not!” Harry finally blurted out angrily.


Hermione sighed, “Yeah, just give me a second, I have to get something.”


“Fine,” Harry huffed. “I’ll see you there,” he whirled around and ran up the stairs.


Hermione shook her head. She thought about yelling after him, to tell him he was going the wrong way, but she decided against that. Instead, she walked to the door Harry had stood in front of and opened it, almost hitting Ginny in the nose as she did so.


“Hey! Watch what your doing!” Ginny yelled ducking out of the way, just in time to miss the door swinging into the room.


“Sorry, I wouldn’t have almost hit you if you hadn’t been pressed up to the door like that.” Hermione admonished. She stepped into the room and closed the door, “The two of you really should talk, Ginny.”


“What do I have to talk to him about? He’s the one with the problem, not me.”


“I thought you where okay with this. At least that’s how I understood things to be.”


Ginny flopped onto the bed, lying on her back and watched, as Hermione searched her truck. She sighed, “I know Hermione. I was ok… well sort of. I just…I just miss him. I wish he could see that I want to be with him. I don’t care about everything else. I know I could handle it. I just wish he could see that, you know.”


“Ginny, Harry has a lot on his mind, and you know how he is. He’s very protective of the ones he’s close to. He’s lost so many already. He just doesn’t want anyone else to get hurt because of him.”


Ginny sat up on the bed and looked intently at the other girl, “You really think he likes me, Hermione? Maybe he was just looking for an excuse to break up with me. I used to think he liked me, but sometimes I wonder if maybe I wanted it too badly and I saw what I wanted to see. I don’t know. I’m just so confused. I’m confused and angry.”


Hermione found what she was searching for and promptly close the trunck. She walked over to Ginny and sat down beside her, “Look, I really think this is something you and Harry should work out together and it’s becoming obvious to me that he isn’t going to be the first to bring up the subject. Maybe you should.”


Ginny pouted crossing her arms, “No! Harry ended it. Why should I go groveling back? If he really wanted to be with me, he’d say so.”


“I wouldn’t bet on it, Ginny. When Harry makes up his mind about something, it’s not so easily changed. I’m afraid that if you really want know how Harry feels, you’re going to have to go to him.”
Ginny gave Hermione a dirty look.


“Just think about it, okay.” Hermione got up and stopped. She looked at the frustrated red head and added softly, “I really do think he likes you a lot. More than, maybe he even, realizes.” Hermione then turned and left leaving Ginny looking after her, as she closed the door quietly behind.


Hermione stopped, squared her shoulders, marched up the stairs to the landing outside of Harry’s door, and knocked.


“Come in,” a voice said from the other side.


Hermione entered the room and saw Harry starring out the window that over looked the back yard. She walked up and stood quietly behind him. She peered over his shoulder, to see what Harry was watching so intently.


One of the huge tents had already been successfully put up. Mr. Weasley had joined Bill and Ron outside. The three of them were currently working on the second tent. The work however was being severely hampered by Fred and George, who had hexed a bunch of garden gnomes to dance silly jigs around the feet of the working men. This earned the twins dirty looks and rude gestures from the others, as they tried to avoid stepping on the pesky creatures. In trying to jump over a pair of gnomes doing a weird looking waltz, Ron tripped on a gnome doing double back flips and ended up in the nearby pond.


Harry watched the scene with a smile, as he absent mindedly stroked his forehead. “I thought you had gone to help them?” he finally asked Hermione.


“I was, but I thought I’d see if Ginny wanted to help.”


“Somehow, I don’t think she’s in the mood.”


“No, she’s not.” Hermione stated with a sigh, as she continued to look out the window.
Ron had managed to pull himself out of the pond and was currently running after Fred and George, sending curses hurling at them with his wand. Most of them missed and hit some the dancing gnomes causing them be stunned or to walk on jelly legs. One curse hit the already set up tent, nearby catching it on fire.


“I thought you said it had stopped hurting.” Hermione asked, concerned for her friend.


Harry turned to look at Hermione his eyebrows slightly raised, “What stopped hurting?”


Hermione pointed at his forehead, “Your scar, or did you know you were stroking it like you use to. Why haven’t you said anything? Are the nightmares back?””


“I honestly didn’t notice. And does it matter?” he answered, slightly annoyed.


“Harry it does matter. If the nightmares are back, you should start practice Occlumency again, if you haven’t started already.”


“I’ve been trying, but in all honesty I don’t think it’s doing any good. It only seems to make it worse.”


“Well, maybe you’re not doing it right.”


“Don’t you think, that thought has already occurred to me? I’m telling you Snape didn’t teach me right.”


“Well…”


“Hermione, can we just not talk about it right now? My head hurts and this conversation is going no where.”


“Fine, then lets talk about Ginny.”


Harry let out a long sigh, “I really don’t want to talk about that either.”


“I’m sorry, Harry, but I think you need to talk about it. More importantly you need to talk to Ginny.”


“What do you mean?”


“Oh, come on, Harry. I think it is more than obvious what I mean.


“You keep saying that you want to stay away from her because you want to protect her. Well, I hate to say it but it’s a little late for that. I mean anyone with eyes can see how you two care for each other, even Ron does. And that’s saying a lot, because in those types of situations he’s really quite clueless. If Ron knows, how long to you think it will be until Voldemort finds out if he already hasn’t? And Ginny is already in danger because she is the sister of your best friend.


“If you don’t want to be with Ginny that’s fine, but you need to talk to her and tell her that. She needs to hear how you feel. You also want to be sure if you’re breaking up with her, that it’s for the right reasons. I know you have a lot on your plate, but you really should make time for this. Take my advice please.”


Harry snorted, “Well that’s calling the cauldron black. What about you and Ron?”


“What about us?” Hermione asked indignantly.


“When are you two going to admit your feelings to each other? You two have been mooning over each other for a while now. And if you want to talk about obvious, I don’t think there is a single person at Hogwarts who hasn’t noticed.”


Hermione blushed a deep red, and tried to cover her tracks, “You’re changing the subject Harry.”


“No, I’m not. You want me to take your advice. Why don’t you take your own advice, if it’s so good.”


“Harry, I really…”


“No, Hermione! I really appreciate what you’re trying to do, but it’s really none of your business. Why should I take your advice, when you won’t apply it to yourself?”


Hermione was quiet for a few moments then sighed, “You’re right Harry. I’m sorry. I tell you what. If I talk to Ron, will you talk to Ginny?”


“I don’t know, Hermione. I guess I should. In fact, I’ve been trying to get up the courage to talk to her. I just don’t know what to say.”


Hermione laid her hand on his shoulder. “Say what’s in your heart, Harry. That is the best you could ever do.” She paused a moment, then turned and left the room.


Harry resumed looking out the window thinking about what Hermione had said. She was right. He did need to talk to Ginny, and he needed to start being more serious with practicing Occlumency.


He stood there watching the activity in the backyard. He watched as Bill was finally able to put out the fire Ron had accidentally set. Luckily, it hadn’t done too much damage. Meanwhile, Mr. Weasley had had enough of the dancing gnomes and was currently banishing them back to the garden. Fred and George were trying to hex the tent flaps to dance, since they had lost their gnome population, when Mrs. Weasley came barreling out into the yard, scolding the two boys, threatening them with bodily harm. Harry turned from the crazy scene and walked out the room. He was done brooding for a while. It was time to join the fun.