Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Broken Soul by silverfox

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Fleur and Bill are married but not with out a few snags. Harry has a conversation with an old acquaintance and receives a disturbing letter. The wedding reception is suddenly interrupted.
“Hurry up, you two!” Mrs. Weasley yelled from downstairs, “it’s going to start in five minutes!”


“You go ahead, mate. I think I’ll just stay here all day. They probably won’t even notice I’m not there,” Ron said as he viewed himself in the full length mirror with a scowl on his face.


“Ron, they’ll notice. You’re one of the groomsmen and the groom’s brother,” Harry told his distraught friend.


“This is a bloody nightmare. Look at me. I look worse than I did for the Yule Ball in fourth year. It looks like one of Fred and George’s pink pygmy puffs puked all over me.”


“It’s not that… b-b-bad,” Harry said as he tried to stifle a laugh. He had to admit, Ron did look silly wearing pink dress robes, which was made worse by his fiery red hair.


“Oh, yeah. How would you like to wear this stupid thing? You’re lucky. You get to wear whatever you want.”


“Ron, you won’t be the only one wearing it. Charlie is wearing it too.”


“Yeah, whose bright idea was that? I can’t believe Bill agreed to this.”


“I don’t think it was anyone’s idea. I overheard Fleur and your mom talking yesterday. Evidently, the robe maker got the colors mixed up. Fleur was pretty upset, but it was too late to change,” Harry grabbed Ron and headed for the door, “come on. We have to go. If we’re late, your mom won’t be happy.”


“Fine. I’ll just be glad when this wedding is over and I can take this pink hell off.”


The two young men left the room and went to join everyone downstairs. As they headed down the stairs, Fleur’s voice could be heard coming from one of the bedrooms below.


“Eet is ruined. My dress is ruined. First ze dress robes, now zis. 'Onestly, 'ow could that robe maker think I would want pink dress robes for ze groomsmen? My wedding is a complete disaster!” she broke down crying.


“It’s not that bad, Fleur. I can fix it. No one will notice,” Mrs. Weasley could be heard, trying to console her.


“But I’ll notice. I just can’t get married like zis. I just can’t,” Fleur managed between sobs.


“Calm down. Everything will be alright dear. It’s just a little tear,” Mrs. Weasley said.

She saw Harry and Ron through the open door and ran to them, “Oh, thank goodness you’re done. The ceremony is about to start any minute now. Run downstairs and tell them we’ll be down in a minute.”


Harry looked in and saw Fleur crying, “Is she going to be alright?”


“What? Oh yes, she’ll be fine. There was just a little incident involving Crookshanks. There’s nothing to worry about, nothing at all. Now shoo,” she said, as she pushed them out the bedroom door and closed it.


“Okay,” Harry replied to the closed door.


“Well, at least Fleur doesn’t have to wear pink dress robes,” Ron muttered under his breath.


Harry and Ron walked the rest of the way down the stairs into the kitchen. Ron wasn’t watching where he was going and ran smack into Tonks, who was carrying a cup of tea. The tea ended up all down Ron’s front.


“Wotcher, Ron!” Tonks exclaimed as she quickly grabbed the cup before it crashed to the floor.


“I’m sorry. I wasn’t watching where I was going,” Ron apologized.


Ron looked upset at first, but then got a wicked look on his face, “That’s alright. I guess this means I’ll have to change.”


“Oh, that’s not necessary. I know a really good spell that can clean anything out of clothes. I learned it, because I kept spilling stuff all over myself. It’s a curse,” Tonks said.


“You do?” Ron’s hopeful face quickly fell, “oh.”


“You run a long, Harry. I’ll fix up this handsome fellow and send him along shortly.”


“Well, alright,” Harry shrugged.


Harry left his friend with Tonks and headed out to the backyard to find his seat. He entered the tent and saw Hermione waving from the front, where the reserved seating for the family was. He picked his way through the crowd to get to her.


“Hey, you look nice,” she commented.


“You do too,” Harry observed and she did.


She had on a pale blue dress trimmed in silver. It wrapped around her neck, leaving her arms bare and it flowed to her knees. A wrap the same color of her dress draped around her shoulders. The wrap shimmered in the light slightly as she moved. Her hair was pulled back, and piled on top of her head in curls. She looked very un-Hermione-ish. Ron would flip when he saw her.


“Thanks,” Hermione replied blushing slightly, “where’s Ron? Why isn’t he up front with Bill and Charlie yet?”


“He’s coming. He spilled some tea on his clothes and Tonks is cleaning him up.”


Hermione sighed, “And dinner hasn’t even been served yet. That will be a disaster waiting to happen.”


Harry grinned, “You’re probably right.”


Harry looked around to see who had all come. The tent was filled almost to capacity, but the majority of the people Harry had never seen before. He did see that most of the Order members were there, as well as a few faces he had remembered seeing at the Ministry and Diagon Alley. From the look of things, most of the wizarding community in Britain and France had shown up. He also caught a glimpse of Percy near the back, with Minister Scrimgeour.


“Great,” Harry groaned, as he turned back to face the front.


“What?” Hermione asked.


“Scrimgeour is here.”


Hermione looked back, “Who invited him?”


“Does it matter?”


“Don’t worry, Harry. I’m sure he got the hint and will leave you alone.”


“Don’t count on it.”


Somewhere, music began to play and everyone in the tent became quiet. All heads turned, as a procession of people walked down the middle aisle. First, Fleur’s parents where escorted to their seats. Then Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were seated by Harry and Hermione. Mrs. Weasley smiled at the two, as she took her seat.


The bridal procession came, next lead by Ginny. She was absolutely stunning in a gold silk dress that touched the floor. It wrapped around her form and stopped at her shoulders, leaving them bare and white. Her hair cascaded down around her, framing her face in curls. White flowers were placed strategically throughout her hair, adorning it. She was breathtaking.


“You should close your mouth, before you catch some flies,” Hermione whispered at Harry’s side.


Harry noticed his mouth was indeed open, and quickly closed it. He tried to distract himself by observing the rest of the wedding party. Gabrielle had already taken her place up front by Ginny. A little girl was currently sprinkling the aisle with white and pink rose petals. Ron had slipped into the front, and stood next to Charlie, who was standing near a nervous looking groom. Bill looked very dashing in his black dress robes, despite the visible scars marring his face.


The music changed and everyone in the tent watched as Fleur entered. She was radiant. People throughout the tent gasped in awe, as she slowly walked down the aisle in time to the music. Harry didn’t understand why Fleur had been so upset about her dress. It looked beautiful on her. Mrs. Weasley must have been able to fix it. Fleur finished walking down the aisle and joined her future husband at the front.


Harry listened as the ceremony commenced. He soon became lost in the words, as he witnessed the scene before him. The love that Bill and Fleur shared was so obvious and so pure. It was there for all to witness. It made Harry’s heart soar to see two people so in love come together and become one. Even in these troubled times there was still hope. There was still love and Fleur and Bill were bright beacons symbolizing it for all to see. It was so wonderful and priceless. Harry only hoped that he would one day be able to find such happiness.


Harry looked at Ginny. She stood there so beautiful and so perfect. He felt like he was flying. How could he turn away from her? How could he break up with the best thing that ever happened to him? She was a light on his dark path. She was a symbol of hope and love that he wanted so bad. He had been happier the short time he had been with her, than most of his life. She was his happiness.


Ginny must have felt his eyes on her. She looked at Harry, their eyes meeting. A wild and fiery sensation surged through his body, engulfing him in a fierce embrace. It felt like his whole body was on fire, and he couldn’t breathe. What was wrong with him? Why did he feel this way? Why did he feel like he was making a big mistake by pushing her away?


Harry could see the brimming tears in her eyes. Was she crying because she was happy or sad? It crushed Harry, to think she might be sad. More so, when he figured it was probably him that had caused the sadness in the first place. His heart squeezed painfully. He wished it didn’t have to be this way. He wished he could live a normal life, like normal people. But more importantly, he wished he could be with Ginny.


He broke eye contact with Ginny and pretended to be listening to the ceremony, but he had lost interest. He could only think of the possibilities and the future. These things he was currently robbed of, until he completed his mission. His mission should be his only concern right now. At least, that’s what he tried to keep convincing himself of, but his thoughts always came back to her.


He chanced another quick look at Ginny and saw that she had turned her attention back to the ceremony. Harry stared at her, engraving the image of her and this moment in his mind. He wanted to keep it with him always. Harry smiled as he soaked in the scene.


Harry felt a sharp pain in his side. He looked over to see Hermione eying him.


“Pay attention. The ceremony is almost over,” she said.


Harry looked up front, to see that she was indeed right. That was fast. It seemed like it had just started. He must have been daydreaming longer than he thought.


“Now I pronounce you husband and wife. May you both grow with each other and become come one, physically and magically,” the official said as he tapped his wand gently on the grooms and then bride’s head.


“You may kiss the bride young man,” The official stated when he had finished.


The newlyweds came together in a passionate kiss. A bright light wrapped around them, engulfing them momentarily. It soon dissipated and the couple pulled apart turning to the audience.


“May I present Mr. and Mrs. William Weasley,” The official announced.


Everyone in the tent broke out clapping. Harry added his own clapping to those around. Tears were streaming down Mrs. Weasley’s face, as Mr. Weasley held her against him. Fred and George could be heard hooting and hollering several seats down. Hermione was clapping vigorously, tears in her eyes.


The newlyweds took each others hands and walked down the aisle. A large grin was on Bill’s face. He winked at Harry as they passed. Harry smiled back.



***



The reception had been going full blast for more than an hour. Everyone was enjoying themselves as they spread out under the tents, and into the rest of the yard. People lined up to the rows of tables setup with lavish foods. Others mingled with friends and family. A radio blared over the crowd playing songs from popular wizard bands. Harry had joined the festivities and had gotten three plates laden with food.


Harry went to get a piece of freshly cut cake, when he spied the Minister making his way through the crowd towards him. Harry quickly ducked around a tree to evade the Minster. He really didn’t feel up to talking to the bloody git right now.


“Trying the give the Minster the slip are you?” he heard a growl behind him.


Harry jumped and whirled around. Standing close behind him was Mad-Eye Moody, leaning on his cane, his magical eye spinning in all directions.


“Oh, it’s you,” a startled Harry sighed in relief.


Moody took a seat on the nearby garden wall. He nodded at spot beside him, “Sit. We need to talk. I’ll run the Minister off if he comes by. He never did like me much.”


Harry liked the idea and sat down beside the man, “So, what did you want to talk to me about?” he asked guardedly. He had an idea of what was coming next.


Moody looked at a couple talking quietly in the garden, but his magical eye was still fixed squarely on Harry. He paused a moment before speaking, “I won’t waste your time, Potter, so I’ll get right to the point. Dumbledore hinted at the fact that you’d play a pivotal role in this war. He went so far as to include you in wherever the two of you went the night he died. Minerva and Arthur also tell me you’ve been privy to a lot of information, and that you know more about Dumbledore’s plans than anyone. You might consider helping the Order out by letting us in on what Dumbledore was planning.”


Harry sighed heavily his suspicions confirmed, “I would love to help. I really would, but I can’t. I’m sorry. What needs to be done, I have to do on my own.”


Moody grunted, “Ummm… I figured as much, when I heard you were planning on running off on your own. Just watch yourself, aye Potter.”


“I will,” Harry stated.


“I also wanted you to know that you’re more than welcome to come and sit in on some Order meetings, if you like.”


“Ahh… thanks… I think,” Harry was slightly taken back.


“I figure, since you’re striking out on your own, you meet the qualifications for becoming an Order member. I also thought it might help you get information for your own mission and maybe open some other opportunities for you.”


“Like what?” Harry asked curiously.


“Like some advanced training. You’re not too bad, Potter. I’ll give you that much. You’ve managed to do what no one else has done before, by facing Voldemort and his Death Eaters on several occasions without much training. But you still lack the proper training and experience to win. The Order has a collection of experience and well trained people that you could learn from.”


“Thanks, Moody. I appreciate the offer. If this was last year, I’d probably jump at the chance, but now … things are different.”


Moody grunted, “No matter how busy you get you should always allow time for proper training. Remember that, Potter. If you change your mind…”


“I know where to find you. Wait the headquarters is still…”


“Yes, still there.”


Moody got up from his perch on the wall. “One other thing, I received this letter yesterday. It’s to you.” He pulled out a folded piece of parchment from his coat.


“Me? I don’t understand. Why was it sent to you? Who’s it from?”


“It’s from Snape. I guess he couldn’t send you a letter directly, without the wrong people finding out about it,” Moody growled with distaste.


“Snape? What does that slimy git want?” Harry said venomously, as he eyed the letter.


“I can’t rightly say. But I’d be careful regardless. That treacherous snake is probably trying to draw you out in the open,” Moody handed him the letter, “watch you back, Potter,” he turned and hobbled away.


Harry sat a moment, looking at the unopened letter in his hands. His hand shook with rage as he slowly opened the letter. Rage colored his sight, making him blink a few times to clear his vision before he could read the contents.



Potter,

We have to talk. Meet me where it all began. I have some information that you might find invaluable. Come alone.

Snape




Invaluable information huh, what information could that greasy murderer have that he could possibly find invaluable? Where it all began? What did he mean by that? Mad-Eye was right. It did sound like a trap. That’s alright, he’d still go. Just to catch the murderer, and make him pay for what he did.


He needed find Ron and Hermione. He needed to tell them about the letter. Where were they? He hadn’t seen them since the wedding had ended. He had tried looking for them earlier, but with no luck. It seemed strange, since he thought Ron would be parked out by the food.


Harry circled the crowd looking for his two friends, but also keeping a watchful eye out for the Minister. After three trips around the yard and tents, Harry still had not found them. He was starting to get worried.


He hadn’t checked the house yet. So Harry turned toward it, but before he could get there he noticed Mr. Weasley’s shed, or rather a wrap lying near it. It looked like the wrap Hermione had during the ceremony. Harry switched directions, and veered toward the shed. As he got closer, he could hear a loud thud coming from inside. Curious he went closer to investigate.


Harry crept along the edge of the building. He heard another clang coming from behind the wall. He snuck to the door and very carefully turned the knob. In one movement, he pulled the door open and jumped into the tiny shed. He wasn’t prepared for what he saw.


Both of his friends where lip locked, groping furiously at each other on the dirty floor. Hermione was beneath Ron. Both of their clothes were half off, and Ron’s his hands were slowly moving toward… Harry immediately became beat red from head to toe, at a loss for what to say.


“Harry, what the bloody hell are you doing?” Ron yelled, as he noticed his friend’s entrance.


“I… Ah… I… err…” Harry was unable to move or speak.


“You could knock next time,” Hermione blushed trying to cover herself.


“I… err… I heard a noise and wanted to check it out. I wasn’t expecting… I mean… I err…”


“Well, you checked it out. Now you can leave,” Ron said, as he quickly got up and pushed Harry out the door, closing it with a bang.


Harry stood there for a moment, still in shock at what he’d see, “I guess this means you and Ron talked,” he said at the door.



“Yeah, now go away,” a voice said from the other side.


Harry turned away from the shed and left giving them some privacy, or what was left of it. He laughed hesitantly. It was good to know his stubborn friends had finally gotten together. Next time, he’d make sure to knock before entering any room or shed.


Snape’s letter forgotten, Harry walked back up the driveway toward the house trying to shake the scene from his mind. He wasn’t watching where he was going and bumped into something solid.


“Do you make it a habit to knock into people?” Ginny asked angrily, as she tried to regain her balance.


“Oh, hi,” Harry backed away, blushing.


Harry was stunned to see he had run smack into Ginny, again. At least this time he hadn’t knocked her over and ended up on top of her. This thought made Harry blush even more.


“Hi,” he said again, embarrassed.


Ginny put her hand on her hips and glared at him, “Is that all you can say? Aren’t you going to apologize?”


“I’m… I’m really sorry, Ginny. I wasn’t watching where I was going,” he replied with a shrug and looked down at his feet. Ginny always looked twice as beautiful when she got angry. Today was no exception.


Ginny snorted, “Obviously,” her voice oozed with sarcasm.


Harry cringed slightly at her tone. It was unmistakable. She was angry over more than just today’s incident. He hesitated not sure what to say next. He then thought about what Hermione had said a few days ago. Maybe Hermione was right, “Look, Ginny, I… I think we should…”


“Aaahhhhh….” a shrill scream pierced the hot summer air.


“What was that?” Ginny asked, as she looked toward where the sound had come from.


Harry did the same. They both watched as a horde of people ran screaming from the Weasley’s backyard toward them.


Harry got a knot in the pit of his stomach and he started to sweat, “I think I know.”


“What?” Ginny looked at Harry. Fear starting to cloud her face.


“Death Eaters,” Harry replied gravely.


As soon as Harry said this, a shot of green light pierced the impending twilight. The sky lit up in the familiar sickly color. Shapes in the sky moved and formed into a snake and skull. His suspicions were confirmed.


Ginny gasped, “Harry, the Dark Mark.”


Harry whirled around to face her, “Ginny, listen to me. Get Ron and Hermione and go inside. They’re in your Dad’s shed.”


“Why? Where are you going?”


“Please, Ginny, just do as I ask,” he was starting to sound desperate.


“No, I want to come with you,” her voice rose to be heard over the now deafening noise.



Harry could tell she was getting angry again, “Ginny please, I’m asking you to do this,” he pleaded.


“No! I’m coming with you!”


Seeing the Dark Mark had sent panic through the crowd. People where screaming and running in all directions, now falling over each other in a hurry to get away. Ginny was being pulled away from him by the mad rush. Before he lost sight of her, he yelled at her again, “Ginny, go!” He turned around and headed in the direction of the Dark Mark without looking back.


As he ran forward, he pulled his wand from his pocket, ready for anything. He hoped he wasn’t too late. He hoped nobody would get hurt, but in the back of his mind he knew his hope was in vain.
It took awhile to get where the Dark Mark hung, because the crowd kept pushing him away from it, but he finally got there. What he saw, once he got there made him sick to his stomach. He’s fears had justified. Someone had been hurt. Someone had been killed. There lying in a clearing beneath the mark, laid the body of a woman.


Harry pushed his way through the people standing around in shock and went to the body. What he saw he wasn’t expecting. Disbelief and shock momentarily paralyzed him. He could not move or speak. His breath was coming in short hollow gasps. His hands trembled.


“Who is that?” someone from behind him asked.


It was a moment before he could say anything and when he did it was barely over a whisper,
“My aunt,” Harry replied.