Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Broken Soul by silverfox

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The trio go back to Grimmuald Place to see if Hermione's theories are correct. Harry finally has a much needed talk with Ginny.
It was nearing two o’clock in the morning and still the meeting was going strong. Molly wondered if she would ever get any sleep tonight. She was bone tired from all the wedding preparations, not to mention the chaotic activities that led them to have this emergency meeting in the first place.


Most of what had happened, immediately after the body was found, was a complete blur to her. She did know that Ministry officials had reacted quickly, and had gotten the situation under control. They had sent the still panicked and scared wedding guests home. Meanwhile, Moody had pulled a Portkey from his pocket, and transported the twins, Ginny, Ron, Hermione, Harry, and herself to Grimmuald Place. Bill had stayed behind with Fleur and her family, who took a separate Portkey to France.


After Arthur, Moody, and the other Order members had helped the Ministry officials take care of the situation at the Burrow and the Dursleys', Moody had insisted that an emergency meeting be called to discuss the new developments, and what they meant. They had all crammed into the kitchen at Grimmuald Place, like always, while Molly had served refreshments before starting. That was nearly three hours ago.


“Moody, I understand your position on this, but all those theories won’t do us any good if we don’t know what’s going on. Let’s face the facts. Since Snape’s disappearance, we have no solid information on what is going on with Voldemort or his Death Eaters,” Arthur tried to reason with the older man.


“I know Snape is gone, and we are going to have to make due with what we have,” Moody barked at Arthur, while his magical eye swiveled to lock on to an unkempt man. “Mundungus, we may have to have you call in some favors. You’re the only one we have left who has any connections with the Death Eaters.”


“Me? I well… I…” Dung looked nervous. “I-I-I wouldn’t say I had connections with D-D-Death Eaters. Not like that.”


McGonagall had a doubtful look on her face, “Alastor, maybe we should consider looking into finding someone else we can rely on for inside information.”


“Who might you suggest, Minerva?” Moody growled. “You know as well as I, that Voldemort is not the trusting sort. Anyone he has won’t talk to us, and anyone we send in he’ll find. None of us here are trained for that kind of deception, and those of us who might be, are too well know for our allegiances.”


“Do we even know where Snape is?” asked Charlie.


“No,” Arthur replied, who was looking as tired as Molly felt. She really hoped this would wrap up soon. They had already covered this topic twice before. She didn’t see how a third time would make much of a difference.


Moody cleared his throat. All eyes turned onto him. “I did receive a letter from Snape yesterday. He addressed it to Potter.”


Arthur looked shocked, “Snape is trying to give Harry a letter. Why? And why didn’t you say something about this earlier?”


“Probably to lure him into a trap is my wager,” Moody said, as his magical eye rolled wildly in it’s socket.


“Did you give Harry the letter?” Arthur asked.


“Yes.”


Molly gasped, “Alastor, how could you?”


Others around the room had similar reactions at this surprising turn of events.


Arthur stood up and glared at the Auror, “Why did you do that, if you think it’s a trap?”


“I warned him to watch his back on this. The boy isn’t stupid. He can handle it, and he maybe the only one who can give us any information on what Snape is up to by meeting him.”


Molly was outraged. How could Moody be so calm about something like this? “Arthur, do something! You can’t just let Harry walk into a trap like that! He can’t be used as bait just to find out whose side Snape is on!”


Arthur remained standing as he continued to glare at Moody, “Alastor, I’ve been holding my tongue with some of the things you’ve been doing since you took over leadership of this organization, but this…”


“Arthur, sit down,” McGonagall interrupted sharply, a stern look on her face. She turned to look at Moody, “Do we know for sure this is a trap?”


“How can it not be?” Kingsley replied.


“We don’t know for sure, and we shouldn’t jump to conclusions, regardless of how we may feel,” McGonagall stated.


“So why did he send a letter to Potter? He could have made contact with anyone of us. It’s all a little too coincidental if you ask me,” Moody grumbled.


“What exactly did the note say? I’m assuming you read it before you gave it to Harry,” McGonagall made a gesture toward his magical eye, that was now watching Arthur very carefully.


“He wants him and Potter to meet, and says he has important information.”


“Did it say when and where this meeting was suppose to take place?” Kingsley asked.


“The note only said to meet where it all began, and to go alone. Whatever that means?”


“Well that sounds rather cryptic. It said nothing else?” McGonagall asked.


“No.”


“Where is Harry now?” Hestia Jones asked, from the corner of the room.
There was silence. Molly was very concerned about the trio, but had tried to set aside her uneasiness. The three had dashed off so quickly earlier, they were gone by the time she had gotten back down stairs from helping put Dudley to bed. She just wished she’d been downstairs when they had left. She was sure she could have found a way to keep them from going anywhere.


Arthur spoke up, “I think my son, Hermione, and Harry went to Godric’s Hollow. They where discussing going there after the wedding.”


I didn’t think there was much left of that place. I was under the impression it was destroyed,” Jones said.


“It was.”


“Sirius had it remodeled with some help from Remus a few years ago,” Tonks spoke up for the first time since the meeting had started.


The room was quite again. Everyone had been reluctant to bring up the topic of Remus. Charlie finally asked the question everyone was too scared to ask, “Has anyone heard from Remus yet?”


“No, and quite frankly we are getting very concerned. It’s almost like he fell off the face of the planet. He’s made no contact, and there have been no signs that he’s even still among the werewolves,” Elphias Doge wheezed. He had been assigned to find out what had happened to Remus, but apparently was not having any luck.


“I think it’s time to retrieve him,” Kingsley said.


“How? We have no way of going in and getting him. Remus knew the risks going in, He knew this might happen,” Moody replied.


“HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT? AFTER EVERYTHING HE’S DONE! THE SACRIFICES HE’S MADE! WE CAN’T JUST LEAVE HIM! WE HAVE TO GO AND GET HIM!” Tonks yelled in a sudden outburst, surprising everyone in the room.


“Tonks please, we’re not going to just give up on him. We are just considering the risks of sending someone else in after him," Kingsley replied.


Tonks must have realized she had been yelling. She lowered her tone slightly, “I’m sorry, but I don’t understand the hesitation. If you want someone to volunteer, I’ll do it.”


“No, you have other responsibilities. You’re needed elsewhere. We talked about this,” McGonagall replied.


“Tonks, don’t worry. We will find him. No one is giving up on him. Please believe us,” Jones soothed from her corner.


Tonks slowly sat down tears still streaming down her face, “I just want to know that my… that he’s okay.”


“Would you like some tea, dear? It might help calm your nerves,” Molly asked, as she sent the teapot gliding with a flick of her wand. It settled in front of the distraught woman.


“Yes, thank you Molly,” Tonks said with a grateful look on her face.


“Not to change the subject or anything, but what are we going to do with the Dursley kid? I don’t think it is safe for him to go home just yet,” Kingsley asked, as he took a biscuit from the middle of the table.


“I agree. We don’t know why Voldemort attacked the Dursley’s. If this was an attempt to draw Harry out, the Dursley boy may not be safe, if he goes back home,” Moody replied.


“I think he should stay here at least for awhile. He has just suffered a great loss. I don’t think he should be alone,” Molly said.


“Doesn’t he have family he can stay with?” asked Jones.


“I believe he has an aunt. Other than that I don’t think so,” Arthur replied.


“Of course he has family, he has Harry!”


“Molly, I’m not so sure that Dudley wants anything to do with Harry. He made that very clear earlier this evening,” Arthur said.


“He was just upset. I’m sure once he’s had a chance to calm down he’ll have a change of heart,” Molly said.


“I wouldn’t bet on it,” Charlie said quietly.


The room was silent for a few moments. The crackling fire was the only noise in the kitchen.


“Did Potter say anything else when you talked to him at the reception?” McGonagall asked Moody, breaking the silence.


“No, but he gave me the distinct impression that he’s up to something,” he growled.


“Were you able to figure out what?” asked Kingsley.


“Hardly, he wasn’t saying anything, can’t say that I blame him.”


“Dumbledore’s orders where clear on this. We aren’t to press him. If he wants us to know something, he’ll come to us,” McGonagall said.


“But he’s just a child.”


“Now Molly we talked about this.”


“I know Arthur, but I…”


“We all feel the same, but Harry has proven himself before,” Arthur reassured his wife.


“But this is different. You’re talking about allowing him to face… to face… You-Know-Who all by himself,” Molly finally broke down crying.


Tonks passed Molly her own handkerchief. Molly smiled at her gratefully.


“No, that’s not what we are saying. We’re saying that Albus thought it important enough to leave us specific instructions not to interfere with anything Harry might do concerning Voldemort. He also mentioned that Harry knew his plans, and would carry them out. It is now up to us to be there for Harry if he needs help in anything,” McGonagall said.


“Shouldn’t someone explain this to Harry?” asked Hagrid, who had kept silent most of the meeting.


“I already did. I told him the Order is here to help if he needs it,” Moody said.


“But what if it’s not enough? Molly’s right, he still is young,” Arthur asked looking concerned.


“If Albus says to leave Potter alone, that is exactly what we are going to do. We can hope that Harry knows what he is doing. The best thing we can do is to keep a watchful eye on him,” McGonagall stated.


“So what…”


Before Arthur could finish, the kitchen door sprang open and Harry, Ron and Hermione entered the room. The three headed directly for the pantry in the corner, without so much as acknowledging the Order’s presence. Astonished at the intrusion no one said a word as they watched Harry jerked open the door and go inside. He was closely followed by Ron and Hermione. Seconds later everyone in the room could hear loud banging sounds of objects being thrown around and muffled voices coming from the small closet.


“What in Merlin’s name?” Jones replied, as everyone looked to each other with confusion.


A few minutes later Harry came out of the closet looking disheveled and a very frustrated, “It’s not here. I can’t believe it’s not here.”


“Calm down Harry. We’ll just ask Kreacher. I’m sure he moved it like he did all that other stuff,” Hermione said as she too stepped out of the closet in a similar mess.
“But it’s not there, or in the cabinet.”


“No, but maybe he hid it somewhere else,” Ron offered hopefully.


Harry didn’t look to be in a mood to be consoled, instead he yelled, “Kreacher! Kreacher! Where are you, you thieving…


Crack.


The old house-elf appeared before them, and bowed low as he addressed the floor. “Master called,” he said this in a condescending voice.


“Yes, I did. There was a small black box in the drawing room cabinet that contained a locket. Where is it?”


“That locket belonged to my mistress, as everything else in this house.”


“And now it belongs to me. Where is it?” Harry asked again, his patience was obviously wearing thin.


“I do not know. Ask him. That filthy crook steals from my mistress. I see him take things that do not belong to him,” Kreacher said, as he pointed his bent figure.


Harry turned and saw who the house-elf was referring to. Harry ran forward, pulled Mundungus out of his seat by the front of his robes, and pulled out his wand.


“Where is it?’ Harry threatened.


Mundungus looked scared, “Where is what?”


“THE LOCKET YOU STOLE!” Harry yelled, as he grabbed Dung’s robes tighter.


“I-I-I didn’t steal any locket.”


“DON’T LIE!”


“Harry, calm down. Let him go Harry, please. This isn’t going to get us anywhere,” Hermione said, trying to pull Harry from the now very nervous looking Mundungus.


“Fine!” Harry let go of Dung, but did not put his wand away, “So where is it?”


“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”


Harry started to grab for him again.


“Harry!” Hermione scolded and then turned to a very startled Mundungus. “Quit playing games with us Dung, or I won’t stand between you and Harry anymore. Where’s the locket, the one that was in the cabinet, in the drawing room?”


“The cabinet in the drawing room? I don’t remember- I mean how would I know what’s in there?” Dung replied.


Hermione put her hands on her hips, “Don’t play stupid with me. We all know you steal every chance you get.”


“Steal? That’s a little harsh. It’s not like the stuff I take- I mean acquire is used.”


“Your right Harry, maybe your way is better,” Hermione stepped aside as she said this.


Harry started to advance forward again.


“No. Wait, wait. Oh that locket. I vaguely remember seeing a locket in a box, but I put it back.”


“Then why isn’t it there any longer,” Harry growled.


“I-I-I don’t know, Mundungus stammered.


“LIAR!” Harry roared, as he grabbed hold of Dung again, “Tell us where the locket is now, or I’ll hex you with so many spells you’ll be in St. Mungo for a month.”


“Okay, okay… I might have… possibly… sold it to an antique dealer in Hogsmeade.”


“You might, or you did?”


“I-I-I did.”


Harry lifted his wand higher in anger. Hermione grabbed his shoulder, “Harry, please.” She then looked at Mundungus, “You said you sold it. Who? Who did you sell it to? We want a name.”


“Her name was Amelia Beckly. S-S-She runs an antique shop out of her home. Please I didn’t mean… I’m sorry.”


“No your not. Your just sorry you where caught,” Harry sneered. “Come on let’s go. I’ll deal with you later,” Harry said as he threw Dung back into his seat.


Molly jumped up from the table and stood in front of the kitchen door, “And where exactly are you going?”


“To find the locket, where else?” Harry replied.


“Maybe we should wait until the morning to go to Hogsmeade,” Hermione offered.


“Why?”


“Maybe because it’s after two o’clock in the morning, and I need some rest. So do you.”


“Rest, who can rest at a time like this? We’re closer now than we’ve ever been.”


“Yes, we are, but even if we go tonight we can’t go knocking on people’s doors in the middle of the night. We’ve waited this long. I don’t think a few more hours will make a big difference,” Hermione reassured.


“I couldn’t rest if I wanted to.”


"Please Harry, just a few more hours and all three of us will go to Hogsmeade and get the locket. Might I remind you that we aren’t even sure if it is the one we’re looking for.”


“Fine, I’ll be upstairs, but be ready to go bright and early,” Harry said as he walked around Molly and out of the room.


Molly turned to Hermione and asked, “What is all this ruckus about? And why are you three looking for a locket at this hour of the night? We happened to be in the middle of a meeting, you know.”


“Sorry mum,” Ron muttered.


“We didn’t mean to interrupt. We’ll leave you so you can get back to it. Oh, and sorry about Harry, Dung. He’s been having a rough day,” Hermione pulled Ron out the kitchen door.


“Well that was interesting. I wonder what that was all about,” asked Jones.
“I wish I knew,” Molly said, as she sat back down wondering herself what her son and his friends were getting themselves in to.




***





Harry stormed up the stairs and into his bedroom, slamming the door behind him. He stood in the middle of the floor panting heavily trying to get a hold of himself. It took him several long minutes before he was calm enough to sit down on the edge of his bed. He ran a hand through his hair and thought about the events of the day, wondering if this nightmare would ever end.


So much had happened in the last twenty four hours that he was having trouble processing it all. His aunt and uncle where killed, and his cousin was somewhere in this very house blaming him for their deaths. He had gone to his own parents home and received multiple surprises, as well as passing out in his nursery for some unknown reason. Then he finds out that they may have solved the mystery of the locket, because of Hermione’s quick thinking. Now only to wait, because it was the polite thing to do.


Who cares about being polite, or getting sleep. There where more important things to do. So Hermione and Ron wanted to take a few hours to get some rest. It didn’t mean he had to. He could go without them. Yeah, they’d be upset, but they’ll get over it in time.


Harry jumped off the bed and headed for the door without a second thought. He jerked open the door and almost ran into Ginny.


“Going somewhere?” she asked startled.


“I err… What are you doing here?” He asked, surprised to see her at his door this late at night.


“Ron and Hermione are in my room. I left to give them some privacy. They looked like they could use it.”


“Oh,” Harry said. He normally might have been angry that his two friends where having fun when there was work to do, but for some reason he wasn’t, in fact he was having difficulty remembering where he was going in such a hurry.


“You don’t mind if I keep you company do you?” Ginny hesitated, “But if you where going somewhere…”


“No! No, please stay. Actually I’ve been looking for a moment to talk to you,” Harry opened the door for her to pass.


“Oh? What about?” she said as she walked into the room.


Harry closed the door and turned to her. He hesitated not sure how to continue so he decided to get it over with, “Ginny I… I’m really sorry if I’ve hurt you. That’s not what I wanted. I just… I didn’t want you to be hurt. That’s why I pushed you away in the first place. I thought you understood this, but I guess not. I’m sorry.”


If Ginny seemed startled by his outburst, she didn’t show it, “No, I understood. I just didn’t like it and for a while I even doubted that you even liked me.”


Harry felt like he had been slapped in the face. He took a few steps toward her, “Ginny, how could you say that. You know I care for you.”


This must have touched a nerve, because she immediately became angry and raised her voice slightly, “Do I? Harry, you just walked away. Just like that. No explanations. Not even a goodbye. I won’t pretend that I don’t know your reasons. I do. I just don’t agree with you. If you want to be with me, then be with me. I don’t care about the repercussions.”


“But I do! I care! How am I suppose to do what needs to be done if I have to worry about your safety.”


“I can take care of myself!” she cried angrily.


“I know that, but why risk it?”


“WHY? I’LL TELL YOU WHY HARRY POTTER, BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!”


The room was silent and Harry and Ginny both stood still in shock of what she had said. Her words lingering in the air between them.


“Ginny I…” Harry started.


Ginny sighed, “No, don’t say anything. I mean what I said Harry. I do love you. I think I’ve always been in love with you. I knew the moment I saw you and I don’t care about what might or might not happen. All I care about is you and me. Are you going to allow Voldemort to tell you how to live your life? Are you going to allow him to come between what I hope is something that makes you happy? Harry, I don’t care if you love me or not. That’s not why I’m here. I’m here because I need to know if there is a chance that we might be together. Because if there isn’t I need to know so I can move on. So… is there?”


“Ginny I…”


Ginny crossed her arms. “Yes or no Harry, that’s all I need,” she said quietly.
Harry stood there looking at her at a loss for what to say. He knew in his heart how he felt about her. He had known it all along, but his feelings weren’t the issue. He also knew that this was a turning point. That if he turned her away again, he may lose any chance he would ever have of being with her. He couldn’t allow that, no matter what he kept telling himself. He had lost so much already, too much.


Harry moved forward until he was standing within inches of Ginny, “Yes, there is. I do want to be with you, more than anything. I was happier than I have been when we were together.”


Tears started to fall down Ginny’s cheeks.


Harry immediately grew concerned, “What did I say? Did I say something to upset you?”


“No, silly. These are tears of happiness. I can’t tell you how much this means to me. I’ve waited so…”


Without thinking Harry bridged the small gap between him and Ginny. He pulled her into his arms, lifted her chin, and looked into her large brown eyes.


“Ginny, I love you,” he then leaned down and kissed her passionately on the lips.


Ginny kissed him back furiously, as she wrapped her arms around his neck, but all too soon Harry pulled away. He led her to the bed, sat her down beside him, and gently pulled back stray a hair from her tear streaked face.


“I want to be with you, more than anything. Do not ever doubt that, no matter what happens. Please believe me Ginny.”


“I do.”


“Good. That’s something then. Look, I know you think you can handle whatever might happen because of us being together.”


“I…”


Harry gently placed a finger over her lips, “No, let me finish,” he whispered. “I know you can handle it… but… but I can’t. Do you have any idea what would happen if I lost you.”


“No.”


“Me either, and quite frankly I never want to find out. That is why I broke up with you. I know it sounds selfish…”


“It’s not. You’ve lost so much. You deserve to be happy, Harry. I’m just glad I could bring you some of that happiness.”


Harry leaned forward and touched his head with hers, “Me too.”


“So where does that leave us?” Ginny whispered.


Harry sighed, as he threaded his fingers through hers, “How about we leave that for tomorrow, let’s just enjoy tonight.”


“And how do you propose we do this?” Ginny giggled and playfully nipped him on the ear.


Harry flopped down on the bed and pulled her beside him. He wrapped an arm around her, “Well, I haven’t talked to you in nearly a month. How have you been?”


The rest of the night quickly passed by, as the two talked. Several hours later, both became too tired to even talk. So they just held each other enjoying being together, if only for a little while. Drifting off to sleep, Harry thought that if coming to Grimmuald Place allowed him a few moments like this with Ginny, then maybe this place wasn’t so bad after all.