Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Senses by Gryffinpuff

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Heroes take journeys, confront dragons, and discover the treasure of their true selves.
-Carol Lynn Pearson
Disclaimor: I own none of this, it's all written for fun to pass the time till book 7, Rowling rocks my world!


Ron pressed his back into the wall and held his breath. Someone was slowly moving closer, their robes softly brushing the ground as they crept through the darkness. In the hours since Ron had returned from St. Mungo’s, the battle had changed considerably. What had started in the beginning as a massive scurry of unprepared victims through an impenetrable fog, had now become a match of the fittest, a cruel game of hide-and-seek in the shadows of the Burrow.

Up until this point, Ron had been undeniably fortunate. When he’d first arrived at the battle after Apparating, he’d felt an overwhelming sense of duty to find his family immediately and bring them out of danger. Ron wasn’t trying to play the hero; he simply couldn’t stand the thought of losing anyone else. Upon reaching the fog, he quickly stumbled upon his mother. She looked pale and lost, her face showing none if it’s usual glowing warmth.

Ron stood in the thick of the fight, pleading with his mother, begging her to Apparate far away, desperate to keep her safe. In response Mrs. Weasley said nothing. She just stood stoic, unblinking and unmoving. Ron stared at his mother, fearing the worst: That losing Percy had sent her over the edge. Damn it, Mum! Ron cursed to himself, frustration ringing through his mind. He wanted to scream at her, shove her and shake her until she listened to him. He knew she needed to grieve, to mourn losing Percy, but now was not the time.

Suddenly Ron’s body went stiff. He felt himself falling, tumbling unceremoniously to the ground where he gazed helplessly at his mother. From his prone position, Ron watched a sudden fury rise in her eyes, a blaze of anger that left him feeling both awed, and fearful for the fate of the unsuspecting Death Eater that had attacked him. Raising her wand, Mrs. Weasley fired spells in shockingly fast succession, an air of challenge radiating from her body. Her eyes said it all as the offending Death Eater crashed to the ground. You will not take another one of my children from me! NEVER!

A total change came over Mrs. Weasley after this, her own sense of duty in protecting her family far outweighing the pain she felt inside. “Go help your brothers!” she’d shouted to Ron as she released him from the spell, indicating Fred and George battling in the distance. “I’m going to help your father!” Ron followed his mother’s orders reluctantly as she ran the opposite direction, resigned to the fact that it would require an act far braver than he was capable of to force Molly Weasley into safety when her family was in danger.

“Ron! Go take care of mum!” Fred yelled as Ron came to his side, his wand raised.

“Yea, we’ve got this,” George cried, moments before crumpling to the ground, stunned.

“Obviously!” Ron grunted as he and Fred lashed out mercilessly against the oncoming attackers. Together they managed to hold them off, quickly collecting George and doubling back their efforts. The three of them rapidly came to the conclusion that they needed to make their way to the house, their current position being too out in the open.

They made slow progress, navigating through the wreckage and evading attack along the way. In the distance they could see Charlie, his red hair calling them forward like a beckon in the mist. Charlie, brazenly ignoring his gushing wounds, joined his brothers in their trek to the Burrow, taking up position as a rear guard toppling numerous Death Eaters along the way.

It seemed like hours before the four brothers reached their home, each broken and injured in his own right. As they’d drew closer, the Death Eaters seemed to be drawing back, their numbers becoming exceedingly sparse as the Burrow loomed clearer in the distance. When they’d finally arrived at the back door of the house, they were joined quickly by Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Bill and Fleur following close behind. There to greet them were Lupin and Tonks, cradling and protecting Kingsley Shacklebolt, who appeared to be unconscious. After a brief pause of recognition, they all moved inside the house, watching the door cautiously for surprise attacks, for the air had become eerily quiet.

Lupin and Tonks carefully laid Shacklebolt out on the table, while Mr. and Mrs. Weasley greeted the rest of their children. “Has anyone seen Ginny?” Bill asked, taking stock of the people around him as everyone stood on guard throughout the kitchen. No one spoke; they only cast questioning looks at one another. Mrs. Weasley stifled a sob.

“Hermione?” Mr. Weasley asked, the pain on his face growing vividly apparent.

“I took her to St. Mungo’s,” Ron said quietly, not wishing to guess at her condition, though infinity grateful that she was safe.

“McGonagall and Moody are there as well,” Lupin said, taking Ron in with a distinct look of respect, “Though the people that carried them to the hospital have not proven brave enough to return.”

Ron looked at his feet, his face flushing slightly. He had an important question growing in his mind, looming ominously, and he dreaded putting it forth. “Has anyone seen Harry?” Ron finally asked, his tone stiff.

It was like the air had been sucked out of the room. No one dared breathe, as if doing so would make the reality sink in. The Death Eaters had seemed to be drawing back, and Harry was missing. Ron felt his stomach drop, and he quickly propped himself against the counter. “That’s it then. They have Harry… the battle is over.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure about that…” Mr. Weasley responded darkly, his face pressed against the window.

They all discovered far too quickly that Mr. Weasley was correct, and the battle was indeed far from over. While locked in the confines of the house, more Death Eaters had appeared and begun moving intently toward the Burrow. Lord Voldemort’s band of supporters had grown larger than anyone had ever imagined, even in their nightmares. There was nothing else to do but bunker down and prepare to fight.

The sun had begun to set, transforming the black robes of the Death Eaters, making them appear as creeping shadows rather than living, breathing men. As they drew closer, Lupin muttered a spell under his breath, casting the Burrow and the members of the Order into utter darkness. They knew the blackness would work to their advantage. Their side knew the contours of the Burrow well, and the darkness created a blanket of cover.

Ron’s parents then respectfully requested that their children leave quickly before things got any worse, but didn’t seem at all surprised when each and every one of the Weasley children, Fleur included, had drawn their wands and squared themselves to fight again.

When the battle moved inside, everything changed. Fighting was now being done in stealth, as casting the wrong spell could draw others to your location. Everyone was being extremely cautious. Some fighting was even being done Muggle style, hand-to-hand. Ron had found it surprisingly easy to employ these fighting tactics. Thank Merlin for having five older brothers, Ron thought darkly as he heard an unknown figure moving ever closer.

Ron was to face this enemy alone. Everyone had been separated quickly when the second wave of the attack had begun. Ron didn’t mind fighting solo. It was the fact that he hadn’t seen someone else from his side in nearly an hour that unsettled him. No signs of anyone, not even a lifeless body. This should have given him comfort, seeing nobody injured or worse. And yet he couldn’t shake the nagging feeling that something was wrong with the whole situation.

Ron held his breathe, willing himself to stay frozen until the opportune moment. The approaching figure was only feet away now. He could hear them breathing, in short tight gasps. He could sense their anticipation, as if they knew they were getting close. Closer. Closer. NOW! Ron roared in his mind as he leapt on the approaching figure, pulling him to the ground.

The fallen Death Eater grunted loudly under Ron’s repeated blows. Suddenly there was movement behind them. It was an ambush. Ron rolled to the side and a jet of red light whizzed through the air, hitting the grounded Death Eater by mistake. Ron gasped and pushed himself across the floor. He needed to get away, to regroup. He had two Death Eaters on his tail; he had to lose them fast!

Ron looked ahead and realized he was heading towards the stairs by the kitchen. Any moment he would be completely exposed with nothing to hide behind, and he could see the distinctive outline of a black hooded figure up ahead. If I take care of him, then the other two will see me, Ron thought quickly, But if I don’t take care of him now, then I will have three Death Eaters to deal with! Bloody hell! It was his only option. Ron pointed his wand at the Death Eater ahead, concentrating as hard as he could to disarm him.

Relief reigned temporarily as the Death Eater’s wand flew from his hands and across the room. Ron felt a jet of light burn his arm as it rocketed past. He rolled to his back, catching one of the men behind him with a powerful hex. Where’s the other one? Ron thought as he looked around frantically. In response he received a powerful blow to the face.

The world spun, it felt as though his head had just been split in two. The disarmed Death Eater from the kitchen ran to help as Ron was pulled into the middle of the floor and rolled on his back. “You have no idea how long I’ve dreamt about doing that, Weasley!” one of the Death Eaters whispered as he disarmed Ron, kicking him in the side as he did so.

MALFOY! Ron raged in his mind recognizing the voice, attempting to sit up to return the blow. The other Death Eater pushed Ron back to the ground.

“Still haven’t learned to respect your superiors, I see,” Malfoy hissed wickedly. “Perhaps this will teach you. Crucio!

Even after watching Moody torture those dreadful spiders in fourth year, Ron had somehow never expected the Cruciatus Curse to hurt this badly. Anything would be better than this, Ron thought urgently, suddenly wishing for it all to end as his entire body screamed.

The curse inexplicably lifted. The air was suddenly filled with a strange sound. It sounds like…wings, Ron thought vaguely as he gasped frantically, trying to regain his composure.

Malfoy and the other Death Eater were screaming, their arms flailing around wildly. Malfoy started firing spells rapidly, frantically searching for his unseen attacker. Moments later, he came crashing to the ground in a flash of red light, followed closely by Ron’s other captor, both spells being fired in quick succession by a diminutive figure at the base of the stairs.