Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Senses by Gryffinpuff

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: You always pass failure on the way to success.
--Mickey Rooney
Disclaimer: You know the drill, this doesn't belong to me in any way!


It wasn’t supposed to happen like this, Ron thought angrily as he crouched in the bushes, his heart raging as he lay in wait for the approaching Death Eater. He and Hermione were supposed to sneak up on the lot of them, take them by surprise. Maybe even find Harry along the way, so long as he had made it this far.

And now they were trapped, surrounded. Now they had only two choices left: sit and wait for death and capture, or walk head long into the fold. There was no fleeing now, no turning and running. In truth, he and Hermione could Apparate far away, save themselves to fight another day. But doing so, leaving now, would undoubtedly mean a death sentence for all those left behind. If their suspicions proved true, then Ron and Hermione were the last remaining hope for everyone involved. The last chance at success for the Death Eaters, and the last chance at survival for the Weasleys and the Order.

Ron licked his lips unconsciously, his gaze piercing into the hollow mask looming closer in the darkness. Hermione shifted soundlessly behind him, her hand resting lightly on his back. He desperately wished he could hold her, and look at her for just a few moments. Freeze time until they’d had a chance to say goodbye.

This isn’t goodbye! Ron scolded himself. They were going to make it through this, so long as they stuck together. His free hand slid behind him, searching for Hermione. It found her ankle, wrapping around it gently for a moment, expressing a gamut of emotions in the one simple act. The hand on Ron’s back moved slightly in response. She understood. She felt the same. She was ready.

The next few moments were excruciatingly tense. Ron held his breath, his senses keenly attuned to their surroundings. The feel of the breeze on his neck, the pungent smell of the blood saturating his robes, the sound of rusting leaves as the Death Eater stalked ever closer. Ron was ready, set to strike.

NOW!

With an internal shout, he charged forward, taking down the startled Death Eater before he even registered the attack. Hermione was close on his heals, blasting another Death Eater as they raced toward the trees. A bright red light singed the side of Ron’s face, barely missing its target. Ron shot a Body-Binding Jinx over his shoulder in retaliation. Right now he was more interested in staying out of reach than fighting face to face. Focused on making sure he and Hermione made it safely to the trees. There they could regroup, plan. Prepare for the next wave of attack.

Behind him Hermione released a pained yelp, and a bright yellow light flashed in the corner of his eye. On instinct Ron spun about, firing Stunners at Hermione’s assailant with intense protectiveness. Hermione stumbled, but remained standing, a pained and furious look on her face.

Incendio!” she shouted, slashing her wand like a whip through the air. A long line of fire appeared to Ron’s right, creating a raging wall of flames, blocking the oncoming Death Eater’s from view. She raised her wand again, but no spell issued from her lips. Instead it was a startled shout as she plummeted forward, paralyzed in a Leg-Locker Hex. Ron leapt forward, grabbing Hermione roughly and rolling her out of the way as a jet of red light struck the ground where she’d fallen.

Protego!” Ron bellowed, reflecting another spell as he scooped Hermione up off the ground.

“Throw me over your shoulder,” Hermione grunted as Ron struggled to hold off the Death Eaters.

“What?” Ron shouted in surprise.

“Just do it!” Hermione commanded, fire flashing in her eyes.

Ron immediately obliged, throwing Hermione over his shoulder and running full tilt towards the trees. He could feel spell after spell rushing behind him, the sound of bodies tumbling to the ground. Hermione was shouting spells at rapid speed, building more flaming barriers as they raced for cover. Ron's heart leapt as they finally reached their haven, collapsing behind a large oak tree while they awaited the next attack.


Hermione lay gasping on the ground as Ron removed the spell from her legs. She sat up gingerly, cringing in pain. She wasn’t sure what the spell with the bright yellow light had been, but she was positive her back was burned. Carefully she leaned around the tree, gazing at the flaming wall in the distance. It cast eerie glimmers in the darkness, the silhouettes of a dozen Death Eaters just visible through the flames.

“That won’t hold them for long,” Hermione whispered, turning to Ron anxiously. “What should we do now?”

Ron shook his head, running a weary hand over his face. “I don’t know, Hermione,” he replied quietly. “We have to find everyone else without being captured, and that seems bloody near impossible now.” He raised his head, starring transfixed at the wall of fire. Hermione turned to look as well, her mouth gaping at the sight.

The Death Eaters were walking through the flames, the fire lapping at their robes and cascading across the masked faces. It was truly a terrifying image, like demons ascending from the fires of hell. “They must have used a Flame Freezing Charm,” Hermione mumbled almost imperceptibly. She was so transfixed by the horrible sight that she hardly noticed when Ron grasped her hand and pulled her sharply up off the ground.

He turned her gaze away from the flames, taking her face in his hands and kissing her gently. Hermione was startled by this act of love in the midst of such terror. She looked in Ron’s eyes, thousands of unsaid emotions swimming in their blue depths. I should have told him sooner, Hermione thought as he grasped her hand tightly, turning deeper into the trees. She’d had years to be with Ron, to love him as more than a friend. Why had she pushed those feelings aside? Why had they waited until now? Why this moment, when everything could end before it even began?


Ron watched Hermione’s face as she gazed at the wall of fire, a look of utmost horror spreading her sweet features as the flames rolled harmlessly over the determined Death Eaters. She looked petrified, helpless. Ron quickly rose and pulled her to her feet, his heart wrenching at the sight of her troubled eyes. He scooped her face up in his hands, caressing her cheek and softly kissing her lips. I won’t let anything happen to you, Ron thought resolutely, taking her hand and pulling her quickly away from the approaching attack.

Hands held tight, they ran quickly through the brush. Unseen branches snatched at their faces and hidden roots tripped their feet as they rapidly fled the growing threat all around them. A shot of red light suddenly illuminated the darkness. Hermione stopped dead in her tracks, pulling backwards as hard as she could, bringing Ron with her. They crashed into a tree, just barely missing the Stunning Spell, their hearts racing wildly at the unforeseen attack.

With a grunt Ron took off, running faster than before. Their position was now known, and their only hope now was to outrun them. Hermione was gasping behind him, clearly struggling to keep to Ron’s hurried pace, but they couldn’t slow down. The Death Eaters were too close, with too many on their tail.

Colorful jets of light illuminated their path, flashing past them, giving Ron brief glimpses of their impending capture. Finally a spell met its mark. Ron felt Hermione fall to the ground behind him, locked in a Body Bind.

“No!” Ron shouted, turning about, his wand raised. There he stood alone bravely as their attackers swarmed around them.


Tree limbs scratched at Hermione’s face as she frantically ran in Ron’s wake. She was thankful for his firm grip on her hand; she’d never be able to keep this pace otherwise. Her heart was racing violently, the sound of her pounding blood screaming in her ears. Branches shattered, their leaves burning brightly as dozens of wildly fired spells ripped through the trees. Hermione suspected the Death Eaters were just aiming at random, hoping to catch a glimpse of their fleeing prey.

Hermione gasped as a spell hit her hard in the back. Her body instantly seized up, her arms pressed firmly to her sides as she crashed to the ground. Lying helpless and frozen, Hermione watched as Ron stopped dead in his tracks, turning around with an angry shout. No! Hermione pleaded internally, wishing desperately that she could speak. He had to run, to save himself and find the others! He could outrun them alone.

But Ron stayed, standing over her protectively as the Death Eaters surrounded them. He fought mercilessly until they seized his wand, and even more so afterwards until they finally beat him down. He lay gasping for breath beside her, his eyes fixed on her own. The look of failure on his face broke her heart, tears sweeping out of her eyes as she watched them drag his beaten body off the ground.

Released from the Body Bind, her hands tightly bound behind her back, they brought Hermione along, dragging them both into unknown doom.


Author's Note: Yes, I know... wicked, wicked author... Just wanted to let everyone know I have yet another story on the site. It's called "One Last Golden Day," written for the Harry Hospital Wing Project. In the story, Arthur Weasely ventures into the Department of Mysteries to save the trio. Let me khow what you think if you read it ;)

Next chapter coming along shortly!!