Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Epilogues, Part I: Shadows by Grimmrook

Printer
Summary: The war is over, and Voldemort is dead, but the aftermath isn't what Harry had intended it to be. Amid feelings he himself cannot explain, he flees to Muggle London. Can he overcome his inner demons and lead something other than the shadow of a life his existence has become?

Actually the third story in the Epilogues story arc. If you have yet to do so, please read Right Here and One Good Day prior to reading this. Upon completion of this story, you can move on to Epilogues Part II.
Ratings: 3rd-5th Years [ - ]
Category: Dark/Angsty Fics
Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenge:
Serie: None
Chapters: 6 Completed?: Yes
Wordcount: 39536 Viewcount: 24223
Published on: 05/11/06 Updated On: 05/24/06





1. Chapter 1: Run by Grimmrook [ - ] (2556 words)
disclaimer: Most of the characters in this story belong to author JK Rowling, and I am not using them for personal profit. In later chapters, there will be characters that are my own creation, and I would appreciate at least the courtesy of contacting me prior to any other author using them. Thank you.

a/n: A note about the title. Though "Part I" would imply the beginning of a story, that flies directly in the face of an epilogue which is typically the end of a story. Based on interviews with JKR, the last chapter of book seven will be a kind of epilogue, and the premise of my Epilogues is to expound upon that, taking our beloved heroes from the end of the war against Voldemort, straight to the "happily ever after" point. So while this may be the beginning of a story, that story is in and of itself the end of the canon seven books written by JKR, essentially making it an epilogue (in at least three parts, maybe a fourth).

a/n: Lot's to say about this. First. This is the sequel to my previous two fics, Right Here and One Good Day. I highly recommend that if you haven't read either of those stories yet, go read them now, and then come back to this one. It's not completely necessary, but I do pull from events in those stories for this one, so... To my four betas, I really wanted to say thank you so much for all the hard work and effort you've put into helping me with this very difficult story. They really have been great. Just putting up with me can be a task and a half. So to Rosebeth, hpmaniac666, Critmo, and LittleLily, thank you. Finally, before I let you get started, I have a reviewer incentive for you, and an incentive I'd like to try. I like to write to music. That doesn't make this a songfic, but, what I'd like to do is give you a soundtrack for each chapter; just a suggested list of songs that you can pop in as you read to maybe enhance the experience. Where this becomes a reviewer incentive is that if you can think of a song that would work that I didn't list, add it in your review of the story. And I'll throw it in the soundtrack. Okay, before we get started, here's the soundtrack for this first chapter: Staind; Everything Changes Gorillaz; El Manana Blink 182; I Miss You. Eh, and we'll leave it at that. Incredibly mainstream for my tastes, but I didn't want to list off a bunch of bands no one's heard of before. Enjoy the first chapter! ___

2. Chapter 2: Boxes by Grimmrook [ - ] (4387 words)
Okay, now the story really begins. The last chapter was more like a prologue than anything else, but I didn’t want to get too ironic naming the first chapter of an epilogue, “prologue”. The last chapter was probably also the most controversial, and almost didn’t make the cut. Here is where we really begin, and I hope you enjoy it. Oh yeah, that musical selection that I encourage you to contribute to in your REVIEWS! You’ll find that Staind’s “Everything Changes” will work throughout the entire story, so this will be the last time I mention it. Now for this one, it’s hard to pick a good song because of the particular mood I was going for, but Nine Inch Nails’ “Everyday Is Exactly The Same” works just fine. Staying on the NIN track, we can throw in Johnny Cash’s cover of “Hurt,” also. Counting Crows fans could throw “Round Here.” And for those of you who know real good music, let’s tie in Jim Croce’s “New York’s Not My Home. Alright, that’s all I have to say, I really hope you enjoy the story, and again, I would like to thank my betas, Rosebeth, Critmo, and hpmaniac666.

________

3. Chapter 3: Routine by Grimmrook [ - ] (8748 words)
Alright folks, I think it's time we turned up the emotion a bit, yeah? Well here you go. Again, I wanna take a quick moment to thank my betas Rosebeth, Critmo, and hpmaniac666. Without you guys, this story would probably already be buried in a dustbin. And please please please leave a review. Here's your playlist for this one. Blue October "Hate Me" tops the list. That song is so perfect for this chapter it's ridiculous. As I'm a big fan of Staind, "Outside" has to be in there. Story of the Year, "Anthem Of Our Dying Day". And let's take it old school and thrw in Babyface with "When Can I See You Again," and two from Brian McKnight, "Anytime" and definitely, "One Last Cry". Oh, almost forgot, Hawthorne Heights "Niki FM", and Stone Sour "Bother" work well too. Remember please review, and if you have any songs that would fit in the playlist, I'll throw them in the author's note if you leave a review!

Note, I'd like to send another special thanks to hpmaniac666 for the inspiration. You really need to go read her fic "To Be This Lost Inside Ourselves." That fic inspired this chapter and the second chapter, and so if it weren't for her, this whole story probably wouldn't exist.

Thanks Charlotte.

**

4. Chapter 4: Conversations With Dead People by Grimmrook [ - ] (6209 words)
Well, here we are, chapter four. Again, I need to put the same thanks out to the same three people. Rosebeth, and Critmo who were all wonderful beta readers, and HPManiac666 for inspiring me on this one. Now for our reader review incentive playlist: We get angsty here so I think Shinedown's "45" is perfect. Staind again gets honorable mention with "Please" off of their Chapter V CD. Papa Roach comes in with "Scars" and continuing with the Angry White Boy music, as my wife likes to call it, we're gonna throw in Seether's "Fine Again". I had more, but I'm drawing a blank now, so please, send in the reviews, and help make this playlist longer. Enjoy!

Oh, one more note: This chapter is in part me paying homage to a television writer whom I believe is highly underappreciated because he keeps to a niche market; Joss Whedon.

5. Chapter 5: Vows by Grimmrook [ - ] (8309 words)
Well, we’re almost at the end. For anyone who has been keeping tabs, you may think we’re there, but we aren’t. Here’s the deal. Initially, this was going to be the final chapter. Only five. But the problem is that after all my rewrites, the final chapter came out to a solid 18,000 words. Even I realize this may be a little excessive (says the man whose last chapter of his previous story almost cleared 15K). So I split it up in two, also allowing me to further milk the whole being at the top of the most recent list. Yes, I’m cheap, I have no shame, I’m okay with that. Again the same thank you’s go out to the same people: Rosebeth, Critmo, and HPmaniac666. And please please please review, okay? I’ve gotten plenty of reviews for my earlier stories, and those weren’t nearly the effort. This story, all told, took at least a month to write, and it was hard stuff, so I’m not above begging anymore. But as always, here’s your reader review incentive playlist. Remember, if there’s a song you think should be on here, I’ll add it: For this chapter and the next, sappy love songs are the order of the day. Here are a few that fit this particular one: Dashboard Confession, “Vindicated,” Seal, “Kissed by a Rose,” Staind, “Epiphany,” “Everything Changes”, James Blunt, “Beautiful”, Sundays “Wild Horses,” Blink 182, “Down,” and “I miss you,”Just about anything from Death Cab for Cutie, really. Weezer, “Perfect Situation”. 311, “Love Song,” or “Amber”. And I’m gonna stop it at that. Enjoy, and REVIEW!
6. Chapter 6: Home by Grimmrook [ - ] (9327 words)
STOP! Now's the time to say that if you have not read Right Here, and One Good Day, please do so now. I use imagery and symbolism from both stories, and I think you'll need to read them to get the full effect. I'm so adamant about this, in fact, that I won't even beg you for a review this time (though it would still be nice). Thanks.

Here's the last chapter folks. Okay, I'm only going to say a few quick things. First, please leave a review. This has been the most difficult story I've ever written... I've put a lot of effort into this story, and I don't care if you're nice or not, I just want to know what you guys think. I also have a lot of people I need to thank. I need to thank Critmo, Rosebeth, and hpmaniac666 for some sweet beta action! HP also gets another final thanks from me for giving me the inspiration to start this fic in the first place. And for Rosebeth and Critmo, you two were able to pound into my head that what I was writing wasn't true to myself. Thanks to you two, I was able to take a part of this story that wasn't true, and make it into something that is. In that respect, everyone else can flame this story to ashes, and I'll still be happy with it. So thanks.



If you're paying attention to the playlist, you can listen to the same music you listened to in the last chapter, though I would add Switchfoot's, "Dare you to move," and Finger Eleven's, "One Thing".



Okay enjoy!

__