Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Is it Pride or Prejudice? by Stormbringer

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: (This chapter slightly annoyed me, partly because of the Pride & Prejudice plotline.) After the ball, Lily wants to put the disastrous incident behind her--that is, until her parents bring up another dreadful incident.


As Lily and Petunia walked through the door to their house, their mother was all over them. She was scolding, going on and on about how ‘you should leave the house after you tell me or your father’, and ect. There was no need for tedious details.

Immediately, Lily tried rushing up to her room to check whether Eva was back, but her mom yelled at her. That was strange. Usually Lily could do whatever she wanted and her parents would mind their own business. Today was weirdly different, though.

“Lily! You better go up there and take a shower!” her mother yelled.

Lily was halfway up when she yelled back down, “Well, I already did!” She continued rushing up.

Lily slammed the door as she entered her room, for privacy and anger issues. She hated her parents bursting into her life, her sister barging into her personal space. Her parents knew she took a shower; why did they have to breathe down her neck? A string of cuss words flew from Lily’s mouth as she just thought and got worked up more and more. Suddenly, she stopped and reminded herself that Lily Evans wasn’t one who swore without second thought.

So, with lots of feelings of guilt and irritation, Lily remained locked in her room. Evangeline never came back, and that depressed Lily. She felt cut off once again, except she wasn’t calm and peaceful and looking at a cherry tree for wisdom now. Lily felt as if every time she came home, the magical world where she belonged and fit in perfectly disappeared, at least until the letter came for next year.

Finally, at about six o’clock, there was a loud, brisk knock on her door.

“What?” Lily shouted impatiently, unwilling to get up and get the door. She was feeling plain lazy and her room was a mess from being trashed in the fury of her temper tantrums.

“Lily Evans! Get showered and change into something nicer, like a dress! Your cousin will be here in an hour!”

Lily groaned; it was her mother. Reluctantly, as to not get into any fights before a guest came over, she managed to get off her butt. She wandered around the room, almost forgetting her purpose for getting up, but remembered. Lily didn’t shower since she thought it was completely useless now, but did change into a nice dark blue dress. She brushed out her hair a little, applied some very light makeup, slid on some casual sandals, put on some jewelry that wasn’t overbearing, and walked out of her room. Lily closed the door, not wanting anyone to see the poor state of her room.

When she came downstairs, her mum didn’t seem to realize she hadn’t showered at all, but was pleased that Lily had dressed up. A minute later, Petunia came down, looking very much like Lily but with a light blue dress on.

Elizabeth Evans had huge amounts of makeup on, hair in a messy bun, and had a dress on that was very flamboyant. Lily had to admit she was puzzled; her mother never wore ridiculous clothing like that.

Her father was more reasonable, which calmed Lily in some strange way. It seemed to confirm that things weren’t changing, and still very much the same.

The whole family stood in the dining room, looking at Mrs. Evans’ pretty place settings. They didn’t talk, but stood there. There was a sudden awkwardness in the room.

So when the doorbell rang, all of them practically jumped to get it. But as they rushed down the hallway to get the door, Lily’s mother yelled, “Let Lily get it!”

There were no arguments or protests. Petunia moved aside as Lily stepped forward, holding the doorknob. She twisted it and the door opened, revealing the infamous cousin.

“Vernon Dursley at your service,” the man said.

Vernon Dursley was pudgy, large, and didn’t have the most handsome face. Lily could just feel her face changing into an expression of sheer disgust.

“Er “ well, it’s nice to see you Dur “ I mean, Vernon,” Lily said. She mentally slapped herself for making so many mistakes.

Vernon ignored her. He stepped inside the house and inspected the surroundings. He made a point to acknowledge her mother and sister and father, but ignored Lily. It peeved her, but she still was grateful for it.

Her mother was buzzing everywhere. She rambled incessantly, trying to get Vernon to say a few words that weren’t criticizing. Finally, when she thought her job (whatever it was) was done, she announced, “Okay. Peter, come in and help me finish dinner. You young people stay here and talk.” In a flash she was gone. Lily’s father lingered in the room until Mrs. Evans hollered for him to come over and help her. He gave a deep sigh and obliged his wife’s calls and nerves.

There was awkward silence. Then, Petunia and Vernon picked up the tiny thread of conversation while Lily merely stood there.

“The salmon is ready!” Elizabeth Evans called.

Lily didn’t waste a moment of getting up and heading in the direction of the dining room. But as Petunia and Vernon entered the room, and much to her dismay, Vernon plopped down right next to her. Her mother was smiling and beaming the entire dinner.

Lily tried to remain as cold as she could during the entire dinner. Though her exterior remained motionless, the thoughts inside her head were vibrant, rushing in a way so she could hardly understand them at all. Lily tried to figure out what was happening. Suddenly, it clicked.

Her mother’s smiling, smiling face; the fact that Lily had to answer the door; even being left alone in the hallway with just him and Petunia; it all made sense now! Her mind darkened as the words flashed across it.

Her mum had tried to set her up. With her cousin Vernon Dursley. (The most repulsive muggle to ever walk the planet.)

And she didn’t even know why.

Suddenly, Lily could feel chunks of the salmon in the back of her throat. She felt as if she was about to retch up all the fancy food back onto the table.

“May I be excused?” Lily asked politely, as not to arouse suspicion. Her mother looked disappointed, but let her daughter go.

Instead of going to the bathroom and cough up all of her dinner, Lily raced up to her room. But once she found herself leaning against the door, out of breath from all the recent events, Lily was unsure of her next move. She most certainly didn’t want to back downstairs knowing what her demonic mother was up to. But she couldn’t stay here; her mother would find out eventually that Lily knew and she’d probably have to say goodbye to her sixth year at Hogwarts.

So, with no other options, Lily found her suitcase and stuffed it with all the necessary items she needed. Makeup, clothing, hygiene products, treasured items, owl pellets (she knew Eva would be able to find her), and her wand.

Not wanting any letters from the Ministry, Lily tried her best to tactfully climb out of the window with the aid of an old oak tree beside her bedroom. Her suitcase fell and Lily managed to get down pretty safely, but nothing was broken. And with that, she started walking, unsure of where she was going, but letting her heart lead the way.

*

A day of walking was wearing Lily down. She felt tired and hungry (how could she have forgotten to pack food?) All her money was in Galleons, Sickles, and Knuts; no way would any sensible muggle take it.

So she was feeling pretty stupid.

Lily original objective was to reach SamLin’s house, but it occurred to her that SamLin was at the Blacks’ house, which she didn’t the address of. She cursed herself for bad thinking and planning.

She had managed to find herself a guaranteed way into a deserted countryside. However picturesque it was, it made Lily feel yet again detached from modern civilization. She hated that. But Lily, being Lily, still tried to hold her hopes up high and just continued walking.

Pretty soon, though, Lily found herself collapsing from utter exhaustion. She was pretty sure she passed out right then and there.

When she finally woke up, there was a car parked in front of her. Lily didn’t want to pinch herself, hit herself, or rub her eyes to spoil the moment; those options seemed too tacky and overused. Instead, she unsteadily got up, grabbing the handle of the suitcase.

The car door opened; out stepped a woman. Her unruly curls of shiny black fluttered in the slight breeze. She wore a pink blouse and a black skirt with high heels. Her eyes were hazel with gold flecks in them. She also seemed strangely familiar...

“Oh, Merlin!” the woman cried. “Charles!”

Lily’s thoughts were hazy, but she was pretty sure that the woman had said ‘Merlin.’ Only wizards and witches said that...

And she could recall the name Charles...

Immediately, a tall, lanky gentleman came out of the shiny car. He had a mess of black hair and had the deepest brown eyes. He too looked familiar.

And then, someone else stepped out of the car. Lily felt everything in her body stop along with time; movements seemed slow and thoughts took forever to reach her brain.

James Potter was “

Hang on; she was getting ahead of herself.

Unexpectedly, everything started moving at normal speed. James was smiling, but only ever so slightly. His parents looked shell shocked.

“Lily “ is it Lily? “ what are you doing out here?” James’ mother asked.

“Hon “ Jane, look at her. Obviously it’s not the time to press questions,” Charles Potter warned.

“Where were you going, Evans?” James asked. Lily was surprised that his attitude seemed a bit colder since they last met, instead of carefree. Then she remembered the dance.

“I was trying to find my way to SamLin’s, but then I realized she is staying over at the Blacks’,” Lily answered stiffly.

“Well, you can come with us,” Jane Potter offered. “We were driving to the Blacks’. They live in London. Sirius wanted to come and see his family.” She paused. “Please come; really, it wouldn’t be a burden.”

Lily couldn’t turn down a ride to her destination, so she replied, “Thank you, Mrs. Potter. It’s really nice of you. Really.”

“Not at all,” James commented, taking Lily’s suitcase from her.

And that’s how she ended up in the back seat of the Potter’s car (with James) on the way to the Black household.

The Potters were nice; they made conversation with Lily but didn’t invade her private business. Lily liked them. She couldn’t see how James could’ve come out of these nice people.

After about a half an hour, they reached an old-looking Victorian mansion. It gave Lily the impression that the house had once been grand, but had lost that sense over the years.

Forgetting herself and her manners, Lily jumped out of the car and rushed up to the door. She looked at the plaque; it read ‘Number 12 Grimmauld Place.’ Lily shook her head. What a strange name.

And as she knocked on the door, things just got stranger. The door was opened by no on she knew, but an unpleasant-looking woman with pale skin, long straight black hair, and long fingernails. Those fingernails frightened Lily; they looked like scythes.

Her blue eyes, nearly black, were like Katie’s but missing their warmth. Though framed with beautiful thick eyelashes, they were cold and froze the air around her. Lily gulped.

“You are...?” the lady asked. She seemed to carry an air of superior-ness that made Lily feel small and cowardly.

“Lily Evans,” she managed to cough up. “And your name is...?”

“Mrs. Black.” The woman sniffed and narrowed her eyes at Lily. “Are you a “”

“Evans! Why are you here?” Sirius appeared out of nowhere. Lily could kiss him.

“I’ve come to see SamLin. Where is she “?”

“Upstairs, I think.” Lily whipped around; there stood James. Lily felt her expression twitch.

“Thanks, J “ err, Potter,” Lily said quickly and then zipped up the stairs, searching for SamLin’s room.

*

“Oh, Lils, I feel so dreadful.”

“Well, Sammie, everyone feels that way when they’re sick...”

“Not that.”

“Then what?”

“His parents don’t like me. And neither does Bellatrix.”

Lily had meandered around the house, when she came across someone who looked like Sirius’ cousin, Bellatrix. She had asked for directions, but seventh year had simply brushed her off. Luckily, Regulus, Sirius’ little brother, had seen Lily and told her exactly where to find SamLin.

So she found herself sitting beside her best friend on an uncomfortable, hard bed in a guest room. The floor was a gray stone, and the walls looked the same. Shabby curtains pathetically covered the windows, but tons of sunlight still shone through them.

It was obvious SamLin was not being treated well. Lily didn’t understand why Sirius tolerated letting her stay here and get worse.

They were talking. Lily had to bite her tongue to keep from shouting “WHAT?!” and smack that Mrs. Black and Bella.

Instead, she said, “Sammie, don’t feel bad. You’ll always have your fair share of admirers.”

“But I feel horrible! Sirius seems so disappointed. Is it in me?” Her celestial eyes were worried.

Lily wasn’t sure, but she couldn’t leave her friend with a simple shrug. “SamLin. Sirius likes you. He has to be disappointed in his parents.”

SamLin ignored her friend and crossed her arms. “I think they don’t like me because they think I’m a ‘blood traitor.’ You know, hanging around people like you...” SamLin trailed off.

Lily was shocked; not many people were prejudiced about muggle-borns like her. Well, Slytherins were, but she couldn’t imagine someone like Sirius Black coming from a family background like this. She obviously didn’t know him.

And if she didn’t know him, she certainly didn’t know his best friend...

Lily shook her head, both in answer to SamLin and her own thoughts.

“Well,” Lily said, “Sirius is still happy at having you with him. Don’t worry about his family; if they don’t know you, they must be all gits. Just forget about it.”

SamLin laughed, but that soon turned into a cough and then a moan. Lily placed a caring, pale hand on her friend’s paler forehead.

When would all of this end?