Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Legend Continued by Meryl Montgomery

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer - Nothing belongs to me, I offer it to J. K. on a silver platter.


"Jugson, Daniel."

Lily looked around with wide eyes, her breath leaking out in unfair bursts. It was so much more than she had expected. Her parents had told her about the half-giant who would guide them across the lake, had told them they would travel through a corrider, which ghosts were likely to visit, and then, finally, be led to the front of the Great Hall, watched by thousands of older and wiser eyes.

"Hufflepuff!"

Attempting to regain any control she claimed to possess, Lily let her eyes land upon the cheerful and maternal looking woman at the front of the room, gripping a horribly worn hat in her stubbly fingers. The woman, who had earlier introduced herself as Professor Sprout, had again and again convinced them that all would be fine - nothing to fear.

She was such a contrast to the Headmistress, Professor McGonagall. Now, the Potters were familar with the witch, as she was often appearing at their Household with news or other interests of her parents. However, despite knowing her for eleven years, Lily did not possess the gall James had when he referred to her as 'Aunt Minnie'. More than anything, this disturbed the aging witch, but Lily had once sworn she saw her thin lips twitch in what could be a smile. Perhaps. If you squinted.

"Kenmore, Sarah."

The image of a petite blonde, looking fiercely confident, strode up towards the hat and plucked it upon her crown of hair. To the amusement of their peers, it slid down her face, settling itself around her chin.

"Gryffindor!"

The House clothed in scarlet and gold rose to a deafening cheer, and Sarah bounced over, looking completely thrilled. She eagerly shook the hands that were offered to her, occasionally issuing charming smiles and throwing her head back to laugh. For a moment, her blue eyes locked onto Lily's green ones, and she raised a hand in greeting. Startled, Lily awkwardly raised her own hand in the air, and quickly turned her head so that she looked to her friend.

They had entered the Hall together, her gripping his hand while she fought for normalcy. He had looked merely amused, and made little a point of it. Lily thought she had seen James' dark head among the First Year's, but had been swept away to the front before she could get a chance to yell for him.

"LaFolle, Darla."

"Gryffindor!"

It was this girl, more than anyone, who caught Lily's attention. She was one of those people, at sight, who you knew you instantly disliked. Perhaps it was the way she carelessly tossed an ebony lock of hair over her shoulder, or how she shamelessly batted her eyelashes in the direction of James and Nate. Lily hadn't noticed it before, but 'Darla', as it seemed, had been standing awfully close to the pair, giggling at their jokes even James knew were lame.

"Llyod, Steven."

"Hufflepuff!"

"Maddocks, Jessie."

"Ravenclaw!"

To her left, Lily felt someone take an intake of breath, and looked questioningly to the blonde boy. He waggled his eyebrows, smiled, and released her hand. Her palm suddenly felt ice cold.

"Malfoy, Atticus."

A thunderous silence descended upon the Great Hall - more specifically, the table bearing banners of emerald and silver. Lily's eyes darkened as she choked. She felt dizzy, but she stood upright, swaying only slightly. It really was impossible. The first friend she made turned out to be a Malfoy!

Atticus, as it seemed his name was, merely sat upon the stool with little interest. Professor Sprout barely had to place it on his head before the brim spit out, "Slytherin!" It seemed to be no surprise for him, as he moved towards the table with ease.

"Potter, James."

Yet another silence fell. It was interesting how much power a simple surname could possess, thought Lily, her lips curling despite her nausea.

Her brother walked past her, taking a second to take her cold hand in his own and offer a gentle squeeze. She imagined he had not seen her and Atticus, because she knew it would be impossible for him to hold such a cool exterior. His strides progressed, and he soon found him self seated upon the chipped and aged wood. He too, spent very little time on the stool before he was sent in the direction of Gryffindor's table, sitting among screams and whistles.

"Potter, Lily."

Her ears were full of buzzing as she approached the stool, stealing a glance in the direction of the Slytherin table. Atticus' eyes, so full of joy merely moments before, had narrowed dangerously. She wondered how they had come all this way without exchanging names.

"Ahh, another Potter", whispered the Hat in her head. It was a disconcerting feeling, having someone in her head, and she closed her eyes in hopes to bear it.

"I suppose you're hoping to go in the direction of your brother, eh? Lively mind, he has. Your's is much more organized, I hope you know. Makes my job easier."

There was a definite pause, in which Lily took the time to say, "I want to be in Gryffindor."

"And you'd do well there," was the responce. "Yes, I can see it. But you know, there are other options.. you are kind enough to be in Hufflepuff, and very mature, which rises Ravenclaw to attention."

"But not Slytherin?" she asked, flinching as she did so. She imagined it was Atticus that had brought that House up.

"Oh, no," he replied, and she could imagine, if he was a being, shaking his head violently. "Be aware, young Potter, that you should avoid Slytherin at all costs. Toy with a snake, you will get bitten."

She had no time to question this, however, as the next thing she knew, the Hat was being pulled off her head as the shouts of "Gryffindor!" echoed in the air.

Lily grinned toothily, leaning over to Hat now in the grip of Professor Sprout, and whispering, "Thank you". She received an inquiring look from the Professor, but Lily was already on her way, speed-walking so that she might take the seat next to James. She plopped in it, laughing as she was patted on the back by her brother, strangers, and a few faces she recognized, such as her cousin Jacqueline Weasley, and her best friend, Regan Tonks-Lupin.

Eventually, the noise died down, and James elbowed her hard in the ribs as Nate Weasley was called to the stool. Lily felt guilty as her gaze wandered, landing on Atticus across the Hall. His eyes, still dark and narrow, were settled eerily upon her, and she could not help but let the Sorting Hat's warning wander through her thoughts..

"Be aware, young Potter, that you should avoid Slytherin at all costs. Toy with a snake, you will get bitten."

A/N - Shorter than I meant it to be, but I figured it was for the best. Don't forget to review!