Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Legend Continued by Meryl Montgomery

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer - Not my world, obviously. All JK's.

And my apologies for this chapter taking so long! Thanks for being so patient!


James glanced around the Library, noticing it's rather full appearance. This wasn't surprising for a Sunday afternoon, however. Nearly everyone procrastinated their work until the last possible day during the weekend. James tried to do his homework on Saturday, not too early to be called a swot, but not too late that he'd be sweating it out.

But now, he was sweating it out. He had eight inches of parchment due for Professor McEwen, and he'd hate to be the one to make the infamously grumpy man even more ill-tempered. Still, leaving his essay until Sunday provided the absolute guarantee of avoiding Lily. She'd never leave her work until today.

Weaving throughout the tables, James searched for an unoccupied seat. Nate had offered to come with him, but he had done his work earlier, and the chances of them finding two seats together were nearly as impossible as seeing McEwen and McGonagall in a passionate embrace.

James shuddered at the thought.

Darla had pleaded to come with, but the likliness of her allowing him to complete his assignment without distraction was equally improbable. And to be truthful, nearly three weeks of this stiffling relationship (and the absence of his sister, he reluctantly admitted) was taking it's toll on James.

Finally, Hope showed her pretty little face to him. Three third year Hufflepuffs left a table in the farthest corner, leaving only one occupant left.

"Well, well," James said, grinning as he took one of the seats left behind. "If it isn't Miss Sarah Kenmore. Tutoring, I suppose?" He couldn't imagine the departed thirteen year olds were particularily close friends.

The blonde looked up, and James was charmed to see the faintest blush grace her cheeks.

"Afternoon, Potter," she returned, putting away a few extra quills. "But you should know I'm not supposed to speak with you - my duty as your sister's best friend." However, she made no move for departure, or give way that she wanted him to leave, so he settled himself rather comfortably.

"It's been three weeks, Sarah."

"You know as well as I do, James, that Lily can certainly hold a grudge far past three mere weeks. I do believe she's had a lasting one with Malfoy."

"And Darla," he replied, his eyes narrowing ever so slightly.

"Yes," Sarah mumbled, not meeting his eyes completely. "How is that going, by the way?"

She seemed ever so slightly heartened by his hesitation, but cocked her head to the left as friendly curiosity manipulated her features.

"It's been going..." The words were difficult to place.

"Going... going... gone?" she asked, offering to him a rather cheeky smile.

"That's rather accurate," he said, a grin splitting his face. "How'd you know?"

"Darla's.. overwhelming," Sarah said, "at best."

He nodded. "I'm breaking it off."

She raised an eyebrow. "Perhaps you're braver than I thought, Potter."

James couldn't help it, he laughed heartily, earning himself a few glares and many hisses, all easily reading 'Shut up!'

"You don't think I will?" he challenged, leaning towards her, his elbows resting upon the darkened wood.

She shifted forward as well, a dangerous look crossing her blue eyes. "I don't think you can. It's best not to under-estimate Miss Darla LaFolle."

A silence descended upon the pair, and anyone who would've glanced at the pair would've noted a certain tension. But no one did glance over. The scratching of quills and a few whispers were the only sounds in the cavernous room.

"Sarah?" James asked after a bit.

"Hm?" she questioned, her eyes back on the text placed infront of her.

"Would you mind terribly if I kissed you right now?"

Her eyes, no longer glued to the weathered pages, snapped back to his.

"I don't know, Potter," she replied, reluctance evident in her tone.

Slowly, James moved closer, brushing his lips across her's, ready to pull back if the sign was there.

But Sarah didn't pull back. Instead, she sighed and mumbled across his lips. "I'm still not supposed to talk to you, you know."

And James broke out into laughter for the second time.




It wasn't until after dinner in the Common Room that James finally managed to steer Darla from her giggling crew of girlfriends. Slowly, he led her towards a secluded corner in the back, and he magicked a pair of chairs there in which he and Darla settled themselves into.

Darla, obviously under the influence that there wouldn't be much speaking going on, applied a fresh layer of lipgloss.

"No, no, no," said James, waving his hands and looking quite flustered. "I actually have something quite important to say to you. Not, er.. no. Not that."

Looking mildly surprised, Darla pocketed the gloss, crossed her legs, and settled her attention on her boyfriend. "All right, then. Spit it out."

James coughed nervously into his hand, avoided her gaze, and gripped the arms of the chair rather forcefully.

"Oh no," she said, her tone venomous. "No. You're not dumping me. It doesn't work like that."

First he looked surprised, then somewhat angered. "Excuse me?"

"No," she repeated. "I'm the most popular girl in Gryffindor. In school, and you're the Quidditch Captain. We're supposed to be together. It's expected."

"I find it's not nearly as convenient for me as it is for you. I'm awfully sorry, but it's what I want."

"You pig!" Darla seethed, standing up, her robes swishing ominously around her ankles. "You liar. You insufferable, selfish boy. I can't believe this! I've given you the best years of my life!"

"Darla, it's been three weeks. Hardly anything resembling a year." James' face had adopted a rather dark shade of red as he glanced around them. Nearly everyone in the Common Room was looking their way, especially Sarah, who, unlike the other's, was looking highly pleased by the events. She winked at him before James bothered to turn his attention back to the purple-faced Darla.

"You. Will. Be. Sorry. Don't doubt that!"

And with that, Darla whipped away from him, heading towards the stairs that led to the Girls Dormitory. Her gang of girlfriends followed, tears dripping from their eyes as they had just witnessed the breaking of the relationship.

They all passed Lily on the stairway, who was struggling with about four texts. Her eyes grew wide and dark as Darla breezed past her, snarling "Get out of my way", before disappearing with a bang behind a large oak door.

"What," she breathed, turning to James for the first time in weeks, "was that all about?"

"I may have just broken up with Darla," he answered easily, smiling and taking her texts from her hands, placing them upon a nearby table as he enveloped his twin in an apologetic hug. "So sorry. You know."

Lily laughed lightly, patting his back, and smiled to Sarah as she approached the pair.

"You're allowed to speak to James now, Sarah. He's been forgiven."

Lily, observant as ever, noted the tinged cheeks of her best friend, and remembered the information she had recently obtained. Sarah liked James. She'd have to keep that in mind when around the pair. Sarah would never forgive her if she betrayed her secret, and Sarah wasn't even aware yet that Lily knew this secret.

Both James and Sarah opened their mouth, looking quite embarassed, before the second disruption of the day occured.

The Portrait Door opened, revealing a very concerned Headmaster. McGonagall swept towards Lily, wringing her hands before she reached the trio. "Miss Potter," she greeted, looking towards both Sarah and James, who looked curiously relieved by the interruption. "There's a bit of a situation. I need you and Mr. Malfoy to meet me in my office as soon as you can get there."

Lily stood somewhat straighter, her expression more serious. "What's happened, Professor?"

McGonagall released a sigh, shaking her head. "There's been a disappearance. A first year has been taken from the school grounds."