Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Legend Continued by Meryl Montgomery

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer - I wish I owned this world



Lily rushed towards the Headmaster's office, her mary-janes slapping across the stone floor in loud, ominious echoes. Despite her bulky robes, Lily felt lightly chilled, and rubbed at her arms to soothe the goosebumps bubbling upon her skin. She ignored the inquisitive looks sent to her from the portraits, some who had left their original frames so they could accompany their neighbour's. "Views," they said. "Lovely scenery." Lily wasn't fooled. They just wanted something to gossip about.

She was on her own. James and Sarah had been furious that they weren't allowed to accompany their friend or sister, depending upon situation, to the office, but McGonagall had been adamant. This was between the staff and the Prefects. Meanwhile, McGonagall had warned, keep an eye out. Be cautious. Viligant.

Lily was forcibly reminded of Alastor Moody. A nervous giggle erupted over the thought.

Surprised, she clamped a hand firmly across her mouth, shaking her head as she did so. 'Stay with me, Lily,' she scolded herself. 'Keep a firm head, now.'

Coming to the two gargoyles she was quite familar with, Lily squared her shoulders, caught her breath, and announced, "Teary Phoenix."

After a moment of consideration, a spiral staircase was revealed, spinning, and the Head Girl stepped daringly forward, rising until she was out of sight of the whispering and solemn gargoyles.




Horribly uncomfortable, Lily shifted in her seat while modestly patting at her skirt and keeping her eyes to the ground. It was a curious thing, being watched by so many people. Usually they were chatting or pretending to sleep (so they might catch something tasty, of course), but today they were blunt in their approach, sitting in their settees or whatever they happened to be painted on, with folded hands and pursed lips. The past Headmasters and Headmistresses weren't speaking, but their silence spoke volumes.

The sounds of stone turning caught Lily's nervous ears, and she whirled around to face the door. She was expecting McGonagall, or another Professor at the least, but instead, with slight disappointment, it was Atticus Malfoy who stepped forward and took the seat next to her's.

There was no biting comment, no gloating or sarcastic retort. More disturbingly, Lily realised, was that he was keeping to himself. His narrowed eyes were focused on the empty desk before them.

She cleared her throat. No responce. Louder. Nothing. Frustrated, she gave an exaggerated cough into her fist.

"Need a cough drop, Potter?"

She smiled, then quickly realised her expression and scowled unattractively instead. She paused heavily before asking, "What did McGonagall tell you, Malfoy?"

He shifted in his seat, then turned to face her. "She said a first year student had been taken off the grounds. That was it before she darted off to find Professor Sprout and Professor McGee."

"Ah," she replied, ever so winningly, before falling into silence once again.

"What did she say to you?" he asked easily, leaning into the cushions of his seat.

"The same. Exactly."

"What do you think happened?" Atticus asked, concern creasing his features. It was surprising to see such an expression on a boy who was either smirking or leering.

"Honestly?" He nodded. "I have no idea. I didn't think it was possible, really. I mean, the security in Hogwarts is fascinating, with very few flaws.. I can't ever think of an incident which-"

"Shut up, Potter," he interrupted easily.

Lily sighed, "All right. I know I'm babbling. It's just terrible to think of. We don't know what 'taken' means. A wizard? A creature? She might've informed us before she darted off."

Atticus shrugged, looking curiously towards the many portraits lining the walls.

Suddenly, the sound of stone grinding sounded once again, and McGonagall breezed in. She was followed by Professor McGee, the Gryffindor Head, Professor Sprout, the Hufflepuff Head, Professor Kline, the Slytherin Head, and lastly by a very elderly, struggling Professor Flitwick, Ravenclaw's Head.

The professor's all magicked chairs for themselves, and settled down, their attention upon McGonagall, who was behind her compulsively organized desk.

"We'll begin," she started, standing up and reading the faces. "When the rest of our guests arrive."

The adults immediately turned their heads towards the fireplace, so Atticus and Lily did as well, exchanging glances of incomprehension before doing so.

Suddenly, the mantle flared green, and two figures stepped out. They were Nate's parents, Ron and Hermione Weasley. They greeted the adults by shaking hands and whispering faintly. Hermione gave Lily a hug when she was noticed, and Ron rewarded Atticus with a suspicious and untrusting glare.

Again, the mantle fired up, and a tired, worn-looking Remus Lupin appeared from it, followed by the eccentric witch, Head Auror Tonks. Again, Lily was treated with two hugs, and again, Atticus, with glares.

Neville Longbottom and his wife, Luna, emerged from the fireplace ten minutes later. And five minutes following, Lily's parents followed. Harry and Ginny Potter greeted their old friends and Professors before Lily found herself sniffling when enveloped in the arms of her father, and finally, all eyes were turned to McGonagall, who cleared her throat while motioning for everyone to take a seat.

The room was full, but it was of course enchanted to give plenty of space to everyone.

"This morning," McGonagall began, her face white. "I was greeted by two hysterical young girls from Ravenclaw. They informed me that they, along with their best friend Melanie Trumpett, were approached by a cloaked figure who appeared to have came from the Forbidden Forest. These two girls tried to persuade their friend to come along with them, as they were cautious of the stranger, but they said that Ms. Trumpett was answering oddly. She didn't look the same, and her eyes looked "funny". Before they knew it, the stranger pressed a piece of paper into one of these girls' hands, and disappeared into the forest once again. However, Ms. Trumpett followed her, seemingly willingly, despite her friends' warnings not to."

McGongall took a deep breath, searching the faces of these adults, along with Lily's and Atticus'. "The girls were too terrified of the forest to follow after Melanie, and for this I'm grateful, because we could've lost them as well."

Ron Weasley took this time to warily raise his hand, as if he was still a student, and McGonagall still his professor. "Ah," he began, "this paper that you mention?"

The adults murmured their agreement, and Lily leaned forward expectedly as McGonagall unfolded the small and tattered piece of parchment.

Heaving a sigh, McGonagall begain to read:
"Four babes of innocence, led away
To His hands of which they'd stay.
Each one with difference, and not the same.
Their blood their death, and with it came,
A knife dug in, and blood is drawn,
Body weak and life is gone.
One of sense, next, ambitious,
Of noble heart and last was gracious.
Followers keen to bring existance
To their Lord, of which great distance
They would go, to bring back bane.
The Greatest Darkness ever 'gain."


The letter was read as a poem, and silence befell the room as "'gain" was finally dropped. Even the fire, once so cackling, seemed fainter to Lily's ears.

"Do you mean that whoever this figure was, plans to kill this little girl, along with three others?" Ginny Potter demanded, emotion cracking her voice.

"I'm afraid this seems the case," McGonagall answered reluctantly. "Of couse, we will do our best to keep this from happening. I've Owled the Ministry for extra precaution, along with Ms. Trumpett's parents, who must be informed."

The adults looked sadly around the room, avoiding each other's eyes. Many of them had children, and one by one, Lily could see each parent shudder while beginning to think that it could've been their child stolen and undoubtedly harmed.

"The Prefects will be assigned more rounds, as well," continued McGonagall. "And first years and second years will not go anywhere without a professor as their escort. I guarantee you that Hogwarts will attempt to keep this from happening ever again, and I hope the Ministry takes action in finding this little girl."

They talked for another hour, Lily offering her input very little. She was still startled by this turn of events, and by looking to Atticus, she sensed he was feeling the same way.

Slowly, one by one the couples left the office, continuing their conversation with shaking heads. Lily took longer than neccessary saying goodbye to her family, and was nearly in tears by the time she left as well, spinning down the stairwell slowly.

Exitting the doorway, Lily raised a hand to say goodbye to the stone gargoyles, nearly jumping out of her skin as a shadow seperated from the black.

"You startled me!" she yelled, her face growing red as she observed the growing smirk on Atticus' face.

He seemed cheered at this, but the smirk disappeared slowly, and he raised an eyebrow. "Have you been crying?"

Lily raised a hand to her eyes, feeling slight dampness, but shook her head. "Of course not. Why would you think that?"

"It looks like it," he said, leaning forward to peer into her face. He was closer than neccessary, and Lily could feel his warm breath on her face. She took a step back. He smirked cheekily at her retreat, "Your eyes are red and puffy."

She felt her teeth grinding as she walked past him, muttering words beneath her breath that would cause a heart-attack to her grandmother.

Undeterred, Atticus matched her pace easily, hands stuffed into his pockets.

"What are you doing?" Lily demanded, realising he was following her when he didn't take the turn towards the dungeons.

He looked to her, as if surprised by her reaction. "I'm walking you to your Common Room, obviously. You think I'll let you wander the corridors by yourself after a girl has been taken from the school?"

Surprised by this confession, she paused, shaking her head. "Young girls. Innocent ones, the paper said."

He laughed loudly, causing her scowl to deepen. "Think you're corrupt, then? Not innocent?"

"I'm just saying," she gritted, "that I think I don't exactly fit the qualifications."

He shrugged again, swinging an arm around her shoulders and pulling her towards the staircase. "Just to be safe than, right Potter? I'd lose my best competition if you were taken, wouldn't I? Always thinking of yourself."

She snorted dismissively, and in her haste, nearly forgot to shake his arm off her shoulders. His face adopted an expression of heart-wounding pain, and she laughed at him lightly.

A companionable silence befell the pair, as they took the steps, two by two, towards the West Tower. After five minutes, Lily spoke up once more.

"You know how McGonagall wants us to be especially watchful for the younger ones?"

"Yes," Atticus replied, thinking it over. "Why are you asking me this?"

"I just think.. I think the next child attempted to be taken will be from Slytherin. I just thought you should understand that."

He considered this, "Why not Hufflepuff or Gryffindor next?"

Lily recited, "One of sense, next, ambitious,
Of noble heart and last was gracious."


"If it goes in the order of the poem," she continued. "It would be, first, Ravenclaw, second, Slytherin, third, Gryffindor, and lastly, Hufflepuff."

He looked surprised, yet skeptical. "Did you memorize it? You heard it once!"

Smiling ever so secretly, Lily drew something from her pocket.

"Oooh," he looked quite impressed. "I suppose you're not as innocent as I once believed, Potter. Congratulations. That was a very Slytherin move you just made.

The tattered paper reflected the lantern light, illuminating her grin. "That must be the nicest thing you've ever said to me, Malfoy."


A/N: So there it is! The lastest chapter! I'm interested to know what you think of the story so far.

Also, if you liked the poem, please let me know! I'm god awful at poetry - it's my weak point in English class - but I worked so hard on that and tried to make it sound best as I could.

Thanks for reading. =D