Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Where Dwell the Brave at Heart by FelicisQuill

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Harry and Hermione take a stroll around the lake trying to make light of a dark situation.
“I’m going to speak with her,” said Ron, as he got up and strode down to the other end of the table, a grim expression on his face.

“Come on Harry, let’s take a walk around the lake,” said Hermione. She chewed on her lip and glanced at him nervously. Out of the corner of his eye Harry could see Ron’s long, pale arms flailing around dangerously as he spoke to Ginny, who betrayed no emotion. It was time to go.

Harry nodded, and they exited the Great Hall just as a knot of Hufflepuffs hurried in, talking feverishly in low tones. The sun was bright on their faces as they burst through the heavy doors and into the fresh air. Harry followed a couple of steps behind Hermione as she began to circle the lake. He watched the Giant Squid sun himself and aimlessly kicked a rock into the turquoise water, trying to imagine how this day could have been if Dumbledore was still alive.

“I didn’t want to break up with her you know,” he said after a long silence. “But what if something happens and she gets hurt? Doesn’t Ron get it?”
Hermione sighed and comfortingly rubbed his arm up and down a few times before saying, “There’s a lot of things Ron has a problem grasping the first time. But you have to try to understand that he loves his sister and just wanted to make sure she was all right. He’ll come around. And Ginny will always worry about you. I think you knew that already, and I think you know why.” Harry glanced down at her face sharply, but she maintained her meaningful glare until he had to look away, heat rising to his face. His stomach felt sick all of a sudden.

“Hermione, don‘t you think it‘s a little bit off to be treating a bloke like he‘s four years old?” Harry hissed sarcastically.

“I’m going to let that one go because you’re distraught. But remember, Harry, you’re going win this last fight with my help and…well, with Ron whether you like it or not. I get it though. I know you don’t think I do, but I see how much you want to protect Ginny. And I think it’s really sweet actually. She’ll be waiting for you when this is all over, you’ll see. You two will be happy when we’re done. We‘re going to win. I know it.” Hermione spoke forcefully.

“Yeah? What right do you have to tell her those sorts of things? I know you do, Hermione. Don’t deny it.” She focused intently on the path ahead of her, humming under her breath. “How can you spout out these fantasies of yours without even stopping to think about reality. I think that--” he tried to reach her through sheer volume.

“I know because you’re the one, Harry. It’s that simple. I have faith in you,” she finally yelled out over Harry’s rather colorful language. “Dumbledore gave you an enormous job to focus on. Those horcruxes are the most important weapon you’ve got against Voldemort at the moment. I think you’ve always known you would have to fight the bastard in the end. That prophecy marked you, but you get to make a choice about how you fight back. And Harry, I’m going to help you however I can, and so will Ron, and so will Gin-,”

“There’s no way that-,” Harry began.

“And so will Ginny if you let her,” Hermione interjected stubbornly.

“I would never get Ginny involved in this! Don’t you get it? What kind of a person do you think I am?’’ he exclaimed bitterly. “What about Mr. and Mrs. Weasley? what do I say to them? And all of her brothers? There are six, count them Hermione, SIX older brothers. One prat would be petrified with one or two in a good situation. I CAN’T ever risk Ginny’s life like that. I won’t.” he uttered emphatically.

“I didn’t say to risk her life, Harry! All I am saying is that Ginny and Ron are in that castle right now, and they’re hurt. But they will continue to stand by your side no matter what. Do you know what that kind of friendship means? Harry, do you really realize what we would do for you, or do you only see your tangled love life in all of this?”

“Of course I…I mean, I know that you all…” Harry stammered, clearly thrown off by Hermione’s harsh tone, but once again she silenced him.

“I can’t tell you why it’s always you, Harry. And I can’t take away your future, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to let you walk away from everyone who cares for you. Dumbledore would never have wanted that!” she yelled shrilly. She finally lost every restraint, knowing in the back of her mind that time was running out. Her face was a mixture of exasperation and fear. Harry sighed and let himself dwell on Hermione’s words.

“Ginny will always worry about you…” Ginny had always stood by him, and she was a Weasley after all. But he still didn’t think that he could put her through the unavoidable pain that came with being with him. What was worse, there was no way she’d take him back unless he promised to changed all of his opinions. The entire thing was futile.

So he put it from his mind as he and Hermione stood by the water’s edge and took a long last look at the castle and grounds. His gaze swept across the greenhouses, the gate to Hogsmeade, the Quidditch Pitch, Hagrid’s hut, the Whomping Willow, and to the edge of the Forbidden Forest. All his memories came rushing into his consciousness. He remembered what he had said to Dobby once, many years before. “Hogwarts is my home; I have to go back.” Not anymore though, he could never come back. It was over, he had grown up and found himself here, but he had to move on.