Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

One Last Golden Day by Gryffinpuff

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Last chapter! Probably not the ending many of you were expecting, but this truly felt like the way this story was meant to end. Fear not, there is possibly a sequel in the works. Keep an eye out! Thanks for everyone who read/reviewed, I hope you enjoyed going through this story as much as I did!!
~Ashley
Disclaimer: Just visiting Jo’s creation, nothing here is mine =)


The darkness was all consuming, swallowing more than just the light of the world. All sounds, all feelings, seemed to be slipping into oblivion. The only thing Arthur noticed was the thumping of his heart, a slow yet determined beating against his sagging ribcage.

Unknowingly he drew another ragged breath, his chest rising painfully with the effort. He didn’t notice the figure descending to his prone form, the startled voice speaking his name, or the unusually warm substance being poured down his throat.

“Mr. Weasley?”

Arthur heard his name, ripping through the edges of his consciousness. The thumping in his chest was getting stronger, louder. He suddenly noticed that he felt immensely cold, his body pressed flat on the chilled, black marble floor. A fire started to spread in his stomach, reaching out in sweeping strides, moving to his chest, his limbs, and his face.

“Mr. Weasley?” the voice questioned again, this time much clearer. Closer. Arthur opened his eyes slowly, accepting a cloudy figure into his sights. Mr. Deogol was kneeling at his side, a look of mild relief spreading over his normally unmoving features. “Welcome back,” Deogol said softly, extending his hand and gingerly helping Arthur off the ground. An involuntary groan left Arthur’s lips as he moved to a sitting position, his body angrily fighting against the forced movement.

“Things will get better in a moment,” Mr. Deogol reassured Arthur, handing him his glasses. “It always takes some time for the body to adjust after leaving The Hall, but the potion I gave you should help.”

“And what potion was that, exactly?” Arthur grunted through his dry, aching throat, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

“Ah, sorry, Mr. Weasley, but that is yet another mystery that will remain within these walls for the time being,” Deogol replied with a rueful smile as he conjured a glass of water. “Sip this and rest for a moment, you’ve had quite a hard morning.”

Arthur nearly choked on the water as Deogol’s words registered. “Morning? But I’ve been gone for days!”

Deogol merely shook his head. “You left my side a little over an hour ago. Quite impressive, actually. Men half your age haven’t lasted more than five minutes.”

“But I saw hundreds of memories. Full days!” Arthur insisted, his head beginning to feel slightly less foggy.

“You saw imprints of love, Mr. Weasley. What does time matter to love? A lifetime exists as but a moment in the history and magic of love. Though, love’s perfect moments can linger with us for life. You saw mere glimpses of love’s past, specific instances to help you reach your goal,” Deogol indicated the crimson box in Arthur’s hand. It was glowing now, the bands of love inside shining radiantly.

Arthur lifted the box higher, examining it carefully and caressing it with a gentle hand. “For awhile I feared I’d never find it,” he said truthfully, sighing with exhaustion. “But then I realized The Hall had this imprint in mind all along. The memory was perfect,” he muttered, a soft smile creeping across his weary face. “More than I could have hoped for. And yet…” Arthur trailed off without completing his thoughts, lowering the box to his side. A strange weight was pressing in his heart, an unspoken dread that kept resurfacing every few moments as he slowly acclimated himself to his new surroundings.

Deogol looked at Arthur thoughtfully, his face unreadable. “Fear,” he said quite plainly, reaching out and taking the box from Arthur’s hand. “It’s amazing how it creeps into our hearts. You’ve just been in the depths, the very folds of love, and still you fear you will fail in your task.”

For a moment Arthur wanted to deny this claim. How could he doubt anything now after all he’d seen, all he’d experienced? How could he not trust the power he’d witnessed, the magical strength of love? “What if it was all for nothing? What if I came so far, to retrieve this memory, this perfect day, and it doesn’t work?” Arthur finally said softly, running a hand through his thinning hair.

“No act done out of love in committed in vain, Arthur,” Deogol said softly, catching Arthur off guard upon hearing his first name rather than the formal ‘Mr. Weasley.’ “I’ve been the Keeper for The Hall of Love for nearly fifteen years. Believe me; the courage you’ve shown has not gone unnoticed.”

“I don’t know if I have enough courage left to do what needs to be done,” Arthur replied in a whisper, eyeing the box in Deogol’s hand. “I don’t know if I can face the possibility that this cure might not work. After being in The Hall… after seeing all that I’ve seen… it’s almost like I have them back again. Like I never lost them in the first place.” Arthur felt his ears flushing red and looked down at the floor. He wasn’t usually one to share his feelings so fluidly, especially with a complete stranger. And yet somehow, he felt that Deogol, with his emotionless mannerisms and pristine appearance, wasn’t really a stranger at all. Somehow they’d reached an unspoken understanding, a common ground.

Deogol made an indistinct sound, shuffling himself about as he squatted beside Arthur. “We all lost something in the war,” he finally said, trying to meet Arthur’s eye. “Family. Friends. Even pieces of ourselves…” Arthur raised his head, meeting his companion’s eye, suddenly understanding his cold demeanor.

“And yet love remains through it all,” Deogol continued. “Even if they never wake, you will still have the knowledge that you did all you could. You will still have the memories you witnessed in The Hall. And they will have this moment,” he paused as he held out the glowing box in his hand, “no matter the outcome. They will not be lost in fear and hate anymore, Arthur. You will bring them love, and that is worth everything.”

The two men sat quietly for a moment, each in silent respect for the other: The unlikely warrior on a quest for a cure, and the emotionally broken Keeper of The Hall of Love. Perhaps fate had brought them to this moment. Perhaps it was just another aspect of love’s magic that they would never understand. No matter the reason, Arthur had brought Mr. Deogol an image of courage, a will to keep pushing when the whole world seems lost and dark. In return, Deogol had given him hope. Hope that only love can provide, and who better to bestow such a gift than its Keeper?

“A message has been sent to Mrs. McCreed,” Deogol said, finally interrupting the silence as he placed the box back in Arthur’s hands. “She should arrive any moment to unlock the doors.”

Arthur nodded and slowly rose to his feet, wobbling slightly on his still shaking legs. “Do you think it will work?” Arthur asked, indicating the miniscule box in his hand.

“I have no doubt,” he replied, gesturing towards one of the many doors in the circular room. “Mrs. McCreed shall meet you just beyond that door. Good luck to you.”

The black door opened on its own, beckoning Arthur forward. He stood still for a moment in slight trepidation. This is it, he thought, swallowing hard as his heart rate increased. Somehow leaving the Department of Mysteries was just as terrifying as entering it, knowing the tasks that now lay ahead. He clutched the box tightly for a moment, feeling the swirling scarlet streams emit their welcoming warmth. A slow smile spread across his face. Deogol was right. No matter what happened in the hospital, he was bringing them this memory, this golden moment. The night of The Great Battle would haunt them no longer, he was quite certain of that.

Arthur stepped across the room; hope swelling his heart till it threatened to burst. He paused just before exiting, turning back one last time.

“Mr. Deogol,” Arthur said politely, extending his hand.

“Mr. Weasley,” Deogol replied with a nod, taking his hand and shaking it sincerely.

With a faint smile Arthur turned and crossed the threshold into the black room, turning to gaze at Mr. Deogol once more. His hands were folded behind him; his raven black hair slicked back impeccably as ever, disappearing into the ghostly blue candlelight as the door closed with a snap.