Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Perfect by KASK

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hey everyone! Sorry this took so long to update. I've never been one with real life. Plus, I've been working on some other stuff, which I will promote relentlessly and remorselessly. I have some other Lily/James (my favorite genre) and some other stuff, with more coming soon, so check it out :)

Now, here is the (too) long awaited finale. Let me know what you think, because I'm not sure about it. This story was actually my first completed fic. I had been working on a chaptered Lily/James, but this one was the first finished one. Anyway, I wrote it last May, and am thinking about rewriting the end or adding more to it. What do you think?
Thank you Miss Padfoot for Beta'ing!
“She told me she loved me. She begged me.” James paced in his flat, running his hands through his hair.



“And?” Sirius asked lazily, sprawled out on the couch. “You didn’t run off with her?” James looked at his best friend with shock.



“I’m engaged. And so is she. Besides, I love Mirabelle.”



“I know you do, Prongs. Mirabelle is great. But this is Lily Evans we are talking about. The Lily Evans we spent seven years wooing and trying to win. And when I say we, I mean we. That was a complete dual effort! I had to use every trick up my sleeve for that one,” Sirius said with a grin. “So, she comes to you, wanting, basically, for you to marry her… And you rejected her?” Sirius asked bluntly, somewhat surprised and James nodded.



“Okay, that was the first mistake. I’m going to give you some advice and I don’t have much of it, so listen closely. First of all, forget your stupid loyalty; whom do you want to be with? Who can’t you imagine life without? If you had to give up one of them, which would it be?” James closed his eyes, Sirius’ questions washing over him. He loved Mirabelle. She was so good to him. But what if he never saw Lily again? He couldn’t make sure she was happy or cheer her up if she was sad?



“Lily,” James said quietly, her vivid eyes lighting up his mind. Sirius’ eyes widened in surprise. James picked Lily as the one he would give up?



“You really love Mirabelle, don’t you?” Sirius asked, his eyes still wide but soft.



“Of course I do, I wouldn’t have asked her to marry me if I didn’t. But I don’t know,” he said, looking harassed and running a hand through his hair, as if it would clear his mind. “Mirabelle is perfect. She never hated me, I didn’t have to deal with her hexes and insults for six years, and we never fight. She’s beautiful, smart, spontaneous, passionate, amazing... But,” James shrugged, “I don’t know if I could live without Lily. There are so many people like Mirabelle out there, but Lily? I’ve never met another. I have loved her since I was fifteen, and I always will. No contest, I don’t want anyone else. I asked her first,” James said, as the realizations came to him, his eyes lighting up. Why didn’t he see it? He loved Lily. Sirius smiled at his best friend; he had known all along.



“James, we both know that Lily’s insults made your life.” James smiled, rubbing his face.



“I certainly was a bit pathetic, though I can’t say it wasn’t worth it.” Sirius and James both laughed.



“Maybe I’ll ask Kel to marry me. I love her.” James smiled at Sirius; he was really wiser than given credit for.



***



Lily recapped everything that had happened to Kellen the following day. She blinked. “We’re back at him again? You and Aaron are so good together, why risk it with James?” Unlike her other friends, Kellen had never been a fan of James, or his and Lily’s relationship. She just couldn’t see it working in the long run.



“Kellen, I’m not risking anything. He doesn’t love me, remember? But I don’t understand why you are so against it. You’re with Sirius Black. He’s not exactly the most stable person and I say nothing. In fact, I like Sirius. But the second I get with James Potter, a good guy, who has loved me forever, you pray for a breakup,” Lily finally exploded. The words had been on her mind since Hogwarts. Kellen sighed with a shrug.



“I don’t know. You always fought so much and I always thought he would break your heart. But I was wrong, it was the other way around,” Kellen said tiredly.



“He did hurt me, yesterday, but before that, he always loved me. He always cared,” Lily said, furrowing her brow, not exactly wanting to think about yesterday.



“But you didn’t always love him, and even after you started going out, you fought. You can only go so far before you break,” Kellen answered truthfully. “On the other hand, you and Aaron are perfect.” Lily smiled at her.



“Kel, I know you want what’s best for me, but you should know me by now. I don’t want perfect. Aaron is great, everything I ever dreamed of. But then again, he isn’t, because I still want James.” Lily paused for a moment. “I finally understand it all. His persistence at Hogwarts, why he never gave up on me, that’s how I feel at this very moment. He could hex me, reject me, or hurt me, just like I did, and I’d still go back to him. I’d rather fight with him, than have Aaron kiss me. The feeling when I’m near him is worth it,” Lily finished, smiling and feeling much better.



Kellen looked at Lily for a moment, before a silent comprehending broke out in her eyes. “I know what you mean, Lily. Why do you think I’m still with Sirius?”



***



“Mirabelle,” James started nervously. He wasn’t sure how to tell her. He wanted to do it in a way that would cause her the least pain, even if it wasn’t possible. He’d break it to her gently; try to find a way to soften the blow. “I can’t marry you.” Direct works too, he thought, after the words slipped out. Mirabelle looked at him and smiled. She thought he was joking. After all, she loved his sense of humour. “I’m serious,” he said quietly.



“What?” Mirabelle blinked, catching the sincerity of his words.



“I’m sorry,” he said truthfully. He needed to explain, even when he half expected her to throw something at him. “You are the type of person every man wants to marry and love. Anyone would be lucky to be with you.”



“If every man would want to marry me, why don’t you?” Mirabelle asked, her eyes wide in confusion. What was going on? Whatever it was, one thing was for sure: she would not give up on the person she loved so easily. She wouldn’t just let him throw her aside.



“I’m not every man,” James said easily, gaining more confidence and looking into her eyes. “I never wanted anything that came easy. So, when I was eleven, I developed a crush on this girl. I was so stupid in my youth. Didn’t realize what I had gotten myself into until it was too late. I was hooked,” he said with a small chuckle, immediately realizing it was neither the time nor place to reminisce. “It took me seven years to convince her she loved me, too. And it was great, but I made a mistake, a huge mistake. I was impulsive and didn’t think, starry-eyed I guess… and I lost her.” James rubbed his temple, thinking. “The thing is you don’t just lose something like that; you don’t just forget about the one you love. So I can’t marry you, it wouldn’t be fair to anyone.”



“But James, you never had to convince me to love you, but this girl, you had to. Doesn’t that show anything?” Mirabelle asked desperately. She had never been rejected before and she truly loved James; she had envisioned herself growing old with him…



“It does,” he assured, “but it changes nothing. I can’t explain it. Logically, I should love you, not the girl who caused me so much frustration and heartache. Still, I love Lily Evans.” James smiled. He loved saying it. He loved Lily Evans! Lily Evans! Lily Evans! He loved the way her name rolled off his tongue.



“Lily Evans,” she sighed. “Of course, Sirius told me about you and her after we got serious.” Mirabelle looked at him, his eyes were star-struck. She paused, thinking. She knew what her words would be, and that she would probably regret them later. “What are you waiting for then?” she asked, with a small, reluctant smile. Mirabelle was not heartless. She wanted James to be happy. James looked at her in awe for a moment, not quite conceiving the possibility that someone could be so selfless. He smiled at her gratefully, and kissed her on the cheek before sprinting out.



James ran towards Lily’s house. He knew exactly where it was; he always ended up there. Over the last three years, every walk led him there. At least five times a month, James would end up standing outside the house Lily and Kellen shared. He just never realized what it meant.



It was pouring rain, the air thick with humidity, but James didn’t care. He decided to run because he needed to run. Running released his energy, allowing him to think clearly. James sprinted down road after road until her white house appeared in the distance. He had never felt so nervous, and he just hoped Aaron wasn’t there. And that Lily still loved him…



He tore up the pathway to her porch and knocked on the door, praying she was home. After a moment, Lily appeared at the door, looking beautiful in a green, summery dress with white flowers and her hair swept up. “James,” she said bemused, “what are you doing here?”



“I need to talk to you before you marry him,” James pleaded breathlessly. Lily hesitated for a moment before stepping out onto the porch and closing the door. Sheets of rain came down just feet away from them, but they were sheltered by the porch’s roof.



“Lily,” he said, slightly out of breath from running. He gulped air before continuing. “I can’t believe that after seven incessant years I almost gave up. I love you,” he said, expecting a revelation. But there wasn’t one. She didn’t throw her arms around him and chanted words of love, too. Lily just looked at him, unsure.



“You told me you loved Mirabelle last night, James. How can you change your mind about something that important in a day? I don’t want to get hurt, or be the reason for hurt.” Lily looked at him with brisk eyes.



“How do I know you really care?” She was done being the one with her heart on the table. James looked at her desperately. He had to make her understand. Lily bit her lip. “She’s perfect, James. I’m far from it.” James shook his head.



“Evans, what is with you and perfection?” James asked, a hint of a smile in his voice. “I don’t want Mirabelle; I called it all off. I told her I loved you, because I do. Lily, you’re the one I want. Who would tell me when I’m being arrogant? Who would keep me in line? If I married Mirabelle, I would spend my whole life wishing her eyes were green, and her hair was red. But even if they were, it wouldn’t really matter, because it wouldn’t be you. It’s not the same feeling when she stands next to me. You’re the only one I’ve ever wanted, end of story. I love you. And I know you love me,” James said with vigour and a determined look in his eyes. His earnest hazel eyes met her green ones.



“I do,” she said quietly; he could hear her though. He had always paid attention to her voice. James put his arms around Lily’s waist and pulled her towards him. The only thing they could see was each other’s eyes. Without realising it, they were leaning into one another, both captivated by everything they saw. Both Lily and James’ eyes were full of tenderness and love. Their lips met in a soft kiss. James was soaked, but Lily didn’t notice.



“Wait,” James said, breaking apart from her. “What about you and Aaron?” Lily smiled at him.



“I broke it off this morning. You didn’t take me for a cheater, did you, Potter?”



“No,” he said smiling. “You and Aaron were just so perfect,” James teased. Lily just smiled warmly and shook her head. James grabbed her wrist. “Come on,” he said, as she followed him into the rain. She would have followed him anywhere.



“James, it’s raining, we’ll get wet,” Lily said, her statement fruitless since they were already out from under the roof. James just shrugged, a hint of that old mischief shinning in his eyes.



“It’s where it started,” James said softly, remembering the first time they kissed. Lily smiled at him, remembering too.



It was stormy day; Gryffindor had just won the House Cup. Grinning wildly, Lily ran onto the pitch to congratulate her house team. Instead of finding herself congratulating Kellen, she came face to face with James. His face was dripping with water, but his smile was unfaltering throughout his face. Lily’s own smile broadened as she saw him, the look of joy on his face. And then, for some unexplained reason, he swooped down and kissed her gently. Even odder, Lily reached up and returned it with another kiss, touching his wet face with her soft hands. And the rest was history. That had been the best day of his life.



Looking at him now, he had the same look on his face, of love and happiness. James smiled down at Lily. “That was a good day,” he recalled.



“Yes,” Lily’s whole face felt her smile and the tears of joy that were caressing her cheeks, “it was.” A small grin played on her lips. And they kissed tenderly once again. It wasn’t an aggressive kiss. It was full of passion, but it was gentle. They had each other and didn’t need much more.



***



“These are two of my favourite people in the world. And I must say, at quite a few points, I didn’t think they would make it here. I worked very hard for this relationship, but it was all because of Lily and James’ love. I want to congratulate these two amazing, very blessed people; ‘Big-headed James Bloody Potter’ in Lily’s words and ‘Stubborn Lily Evans,’ in James’. You finally got her,” Sirius said, raising his abnormally large glass of champagne to Lily and James. He had never seen either look so happy. They were, for lack of a better word, perfect.